PDA

View Full Version : Request: Chivas To Put Out The Fire

Torontotonto
10-22-2009, 04:02 PM
Road to playoffs starts tonight.
I hope Chivas kicks the Fire's ass.
A Chicago loss will help us inch our way to the playoffs.
Anyone know if this game will be streamed anywhere.

:flare::scarf::drum:

bee dubya
10-22-2009, 04:04 PM
^thought I heard that GOLTV picked up this game. So you can watch it on your tv if you subscribe to GOL.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Road to playoffs starts tonight.
I hope Chivas kicks the Fire's ass.
A Chicago loss will help us inch our way to the playoffs.
Anyone know if this game will be streamed anywhere.

:flare::scarf::drum:

its on GOL TV tonight!! as far as streams try justin tv

Super
10-22-2009, 04:06 PM
GolTV is showing the game at 8pm tonight. I shall be watching.

Torontotonto
10-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks guys, don't have GOL, but I'll try justin tv

MrHawk
10-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Since Chicago holds all tie-breakers over us, how does this affect our playoff chances?

ArmenJBX
10-22-2009, 04:12 PM
We can finish as high as second in the east if Chicago lose, we win, New England win and DC United win if I'm not mistaken.

denime
10-22-2009, 04:13 PM
Since Chicago holds all tie-breakers over us, how does this affect our playoff chances?

Toronto FC would finish second if...

Chicago Fire lose on Thursday against Chivas USA and then TFC, D.C. United and New England all win. That would mean a four way tie between the teams on 42 points and Toronto would win the tiebreaker with the best Head-to-Head record between all four teams (nine points from six games).

ArmenJBX
10-22-2009, 04:14 PM

Chicago Fire lose on Thursday against Chivas USA and then TFC, D.C. United and New England all win. That would mean a four way tie between the teams on 42 points and Toronto would win the tiebreaker with the best Head-to-Head record between all four teams (nine points from six games).

Sooooooooo GO CHIVAS :D

Hitcho
10-22-2009, 04:15 PM
there's a remote chance of us getting second spot in the east and home field advantage for the first round of the play offs if chicago lose tonight and at the weekend, we win, and all other results go the right way.

not sure about wider implications than that though. best approach is just focus on us beating the shite bulls, then crack open a couple of beers, watch teh remaining games and wait for someone on tv to tell us we're in! :D

MrHawk
10-22-2009, 04:18 PM
Hvala denime :)

ArmenJBX
10-22-2009, 04:19 PM
not sure about wider implications than that though. best approach is just focus on us beating the shite bulls, then crack open a couple of beers, watch teh remaining games and wait for someone on tv to tell us we're in! :D

Couldn't have said it better myself with Shakespeare beside me on a typewriter.

crofty
10-22-2009, 05:53 PM
a chivas win also means that columbus hasn't clinched the supporter's shield, so they might have somethign to play for against NE, which may or may not be good for us....

Suds
10-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks guys, don't have GOL, but I'll try justin tv

http://atdhe.net/

game is on there as well

FluSH
10-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the notice on Gol TV

I'll be watching this...

Bluenose13
10-22-2009, 06:36 PM

Chicago Fire lose on Thursday against Chivas USA and then TFC, D.C. United and New England all win. That would mean a four way tie between the teams on 42 points and Toronto would win the tiebreaker with the best Head-to-Head record between all four teams (nine points from six games).If either DC or New England fail to win then TFC would lose out on all other Tie breakers that involve Chicago, We have a better chance of making the play-offs if Chicago picks up points tonight. It would kill any chance of finishing second but would help in the long run to at least get a play-off spot.

I think we need to be cheering for the Fire tonight.

werewolf
10-22-2009, 06:41 PM
I am going to treat it like the all-star game (where both results has positives and negatives) and cheer for goals, red cards and FIFA'ing that involves the officials for entertainment purposes.

DOMIN8R
10-22-2009, 06:44 PM
I can't tell you how annoying all of this keeping track of how all the other teams fare against each other in this effen playoff race.

So who is it? Do we cheer for the ring of Fire or Chiv-ass?

jloome
10-22-2009, 06:45 PM
I can't tell you how annoying all of this keeping track of how all the other teams fare against each other in this effen playoff race.

So who is it? Do we cheer for the ring of Fire or Chiv-ass?

Chivas. Chicago winning does nothing for us, Chicago loses and we have a shot at second place.

DOMIN8R
10-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Thank you.

Bluenose13
10-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Chivas. Chicago winning does nothing for us, Chicago loses and we have a shot at second place.Chicago losing & TFC winning kills us in almost every tie breaking scenario.......Go Fire!

DOMIN8R
10-22-2009, 06:59 PM
OK Thank you!

I'm gullible. I'll believe just about anyone. Even the 2 of you!

I'm rooting for the tie!

Bluenose13
10-22-2009, 07:00 PM
OK Thank you!

I'm gullible. I'll believe just about anyone. Even the 2 of you!

I'm rooting for the tie!Haha......Tie is fine :D

Batman
10-22-2009, 07:01 PM
Pretty strange cheering for an eastern team... but so be it. Go Fire!

Batman
10-22-2009, 07:02 PM
OK... so what do we REALLY WANT?

Bluenose13
10-22-2009, 07:05 PM
OK... so what do we REALLY WANT?As strange as it seems having Chicago pick up a win or a tie & taking them out of any possible tie breakers involving TFC helps us.

denime
10-22-2009, 07:05 PM
This link works

http://atdhe.net/7781/watch-espn-deportes

:drum::scarf::drum:

Auzzy
10-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Chicago losing would INCREASE our chances of getting the 2nd spot, but DECREASE our chances of getting any of the wildcard spots. Someone would really have to run the numbers to compare the probabilities. It's been way too long since my last probability & statistics course to figure this out!! My gut feeling is, better for Chicago to get out of a tie situation with TFC and get 2nd place with a win or a tie, so we only have Dallas to worry about in terms of tie breakers, but I'm just not sure...

Batman
10-22-2009, 07:09 PM
As strange as it seems having Chicago pick up a win or a tie & taking them out of any possible tie breakers involving TFC helps us.

As Hal said "I'm gullible". I just changed my post from go chivas! to go fire!

Batman
10-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Chicago losing would INCREASE our chances of getting the 2nd spot, but DECREASE our chances of getting any of the wildcard spots. Someone would really have to run the numbers to compare the probabilities. It's been way too long since my last probability & statistics course to figure this out!! My gut feeling is, better for Chicago to get out of a tie situation with TFC and get 2nd place with a win or a tie, so we only have Dallas to worry about in terms of tie breakers, but I'm just not sure...

Wow. I've never seen a scenario in sports when I didn't know what to root for.

I guess I'm thinking 2nd is a long shot so better to take the odds and just look for a playoff spot.

Go Fire!

Suds
10-22-2009, 07:16 PM
from TFC site

Chicago Fire lose on Thursday against Chivas USA and then TFC, D.C. United and New England all win. That would mean a four way tie between the teams on 42 points and Toronto would win the tiebreaker with the best Head-to-Head record between all four teams (nine points from six games)

Batman
Critical game and about 978 people there.

Globetrotter
well, if chivas wins, then fire have 42, and puts chivas in a spot to challenge columbus for 1st, which means columbus will want to guarantee a win (using starters) which means NE should lose or tie at most. so we would have more points than CHI and NE.

with 5 spots taken, that leaves 3 spots open. assume dc wins. we have to worry about dallas and colorado. rsl still have a long shot chance, so they will be at home competing hard vs colorado, meaning COL might only walk away with a tie... so we'd be in.

all in all, we've shot ourself in the foot/ass/nuts/arm/eye all season... we should be in a much cleaner spot. secured. we have to win on saturday... and i have a bad feeling about a tie in the possible future :S

unless they do what we did with MTL... sneaking in the victory and getting to the next round, only to fail to score a goal in the 2 game knockout.

Batman
10-22-2009, 07:18 PM
from TFC site

Chicago Fire lose on Thursday against Chivas USA and then TFC, D.C. United and New England all win. That would mean a four way tie between the teams on 42 points and Toronto would win the tiebreaker with the best Head-to-Head record between all four teams (nine points from six games)

OK... Go Chivas! :D

Batman
10-22-2009, 07:19 PM
well, if chivas wins, then fire have 42, and puts chivas in a spot to challenge columbus for 1st, which means columbus will want to guarantee a win (using starters) which means NE should lose or tie at most. so we would have more points than CHI and NE.

with 5 spots taken, that leaves 3 spots open. assume dc wins. we have to worry about dallas and colorado. rsl still have a long shot chance, so they will be at home competing hard vs colorado, meaning COL might only walk away with a tie... so we'd be in.

all in all, we've shot ourself in the foot/ass/nuts/arm/eye all season... we should be in a much cleaner spot. secured. we have to win on saturday... and i have a bad feeling about a tie in the possible future :S

unless they do what we did with MTL... sneaking in the victory and getting to the next round, only to fail to score a goal in the 2 game knockout.

:picard:

I need Advil.
Go TFC!!

Suds
10-22-2009, 07:19 PM
OK... Go Chivas! :D

LOL .. crazy, eh. It all depends on who is tied with who after all the results are in.

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20091019&content_id=7494086&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Batman
10-22-2009, 07:21 PM
shit weather in Chicago tonight, that probably will be here by tomorrow night

loconet
10-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Wow. I've never seen a scenario in sports when I didn't know what to root for.

lol. No kidding. This is weird. But I think I'm rooting for Chicago. With Chicago losing, there is yet another tie-breaker where we lose thrown into the mix. DC United and NE would have to win for us to get 2nd..

wzhxvy
10-22-2009, 07:23 PM
Allez Allez...glad its the same chant everywhere...we need new chants...

DOMIN8R
10-22-2009, 07:28 PM
If someone can give me a difinitive answer to the following question then I will know what outcome is preferable.

What outcome would leed to the highest probability of TFC making the playoffs?

Fire - win
Chivas - win
Chivas/Fire - tie

wzhxvy
10-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Chivas looks out of it...

Chevy
10-22-2009, 07:31 PM
For now it looks like #1. Chicago's all over them like a fat kid on a fudge sundae.

Batman
10-22-2009, 07:33 PM
If someone can give me a difinitive answer to the following question then I will know what outcome is preferable.

What outcome would leed to the highest probability of TFC making the playoffs?

Fire - win
Chivas - win
Chivas/Fire - tie

You mean you couldn't figure it out from all of the above?:skep:

MrHawk
10-22-2009, 07:34 PM
Chivas don't need to do much, they got a playoff spot.

Funny how far this team slipped from being undefeated and seemingly unstoppable at the begining.

Lennon
10-22-2009, 07:35 PM
I like this chant with the trumpet they got going now ...

MrHawk
Chicago supporters doing the Tetris theme.

Batman
7 teams left for only 3 spots. Yuck.... if we would have only held the lead once more this year, we'd be made in the shade. Amazing we still have a chance... but what could have been...

MrHawk
10-22-2009, 07:37 PM
7 teams left for only 3 spots. Yuck.... if we would have only held the lead once more this year, we'd be made in the shade. Amazing we still have a chance... but what could have been...

Just think if we had won vs San Jose wouldn't be having this debate right now.

We'd be in full control of our own destiny.

loconet

Funny how far this team slipped from being undefeated and seemingly unstoppable at the begining.

..And Columbus from being utter shit to being really good and go to the top. This league is bipolar.

DOMIN8R
Wow Chivas fans came out from the coast for this one.

Respect.

denime
10-22-2009, 07:38 PM

Chivas must win tonigh and hope that Columbus lose to NE and than they will win Supporters Shield !

MrHawk
10-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Crazy action just now, Chivas lucky not to have conceeded.

DOMIN8R
10-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Chivas = stingiest defence in the league!.

MrHawk
10-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Chivas must win tonigh and hope that Columbus lose to NE and than they will win Supporters Shield !

But they already have a playoff spot no?

I thought Chivas had less points than they currently do.

MTomas
10-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Does someone know why Blanco is on the bench?

denime
10-22-2009, 07:42 PM
But they already have a playoff spot no?

I thought Chivas had less points than they currently do.
Yes ,they have but they have one more game this weekend and that's why they still have a shot at 1st place overall.

MrHawk
10-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Ahhhhhhhhh thanks again.

Auzzy
10-22-2009, 07:43 PM
I know the definite answer to all the mentioned permutations & combinations:

GO TEAM GO!!!

Boris
10-22-2009, 07:48 PM
my head hurts from all this math

DOMIN8R
10-22-2009, 07:49 PM
The pitch is beginning to look like soup.

MrHawk
10-22-2009, 07:51 PM
I could go for some soup now.

drek
10-22-2009, 07:53 PM
This is difficult to watch when rooting for chivas to win.. fire is putting so much pressure on.

Batman
10-22-2009, 07:53 PM
BTW Guys... sitting here watching this from the new digs out in Cambridge. All unpacked, pretty much settled in, great house.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
10-22-2009, 07:57 PM

would mean...we would start on the road!! i could handle that!:drinking:

DOMIN8R
10-22-2009, 07:57 PM
From what I remember - the hunchback hates playing in the rain or an the wet. But it's clear that they need him out there. Chicago can't risk loosing this game. Hamlett has everything to loose here. The Fire - the club most expected to make the plaoffs in the preseason - can't risk missing the playoffs.

DOMIN8R
10-22-2009, 07:59 PM
BTW Guys... sitting here watching this from the new digs out in Cambridge. All unpacked, pretty much settled in, great house.

Party at Pat's place.

REDJUVE
10-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Anyone know what the score is?

loconet
10-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Interesting site with all kinds of analysis on the what ifs .. http://www.playoffstatus.com/mls/torontofcstandings.html

edit:
Toronto FC Clinching Options

Eastern Conference Spot #1

The Toronto FC cannot win this spot
Eastern Conference Spot #2

Case 1
Toronto FC beat the Red Bulls, and
Chivas USA beat the Fire, and
Revolution beat the Crew, and
D.C. United beat the Wizards

Western Conference Spot #1

Western Conference Spot #2

Wildcard Spot #5

Wildcard Spot #6

Wildcard Spot #7

Case 1
Fire beat the Chivas USA, and
Sounders beat the FC Dallas, and
Real Salt Lake beat the Rapids

Case 2
Wizards beat the D.C. United, and

Case 3
D.C. United beat the Wizards, and

Case 4

Wildcard Spot #8

Case 1
Fire beat the Chivas USA, and
Sounders beat the FC Dallas

Case 2

Case 3
Wizards beat the D.C. United

Case 4
D.C. United beat the Wizards

Case 5

Case 6

Case 7
Sounders beat the FC Dallas

Case 8
Crew beat the Revolution, and
Rapids beat the Real Salt Lake

drek
10-22-2009, 08:00 PM
0-0 45th minute

Steve
10-22-2009, 08:01 PM

Hmm, true. The only way this comes into effect is if:

Dallas doesn't win
Colorado wins.

Then it's down to Us, Chicago, New England, and DC for 2 spots.

If Chicago wins tonight, then it's just us, DC and New England for one spot. In that scenario, if we win we're in (since we beat both of them in tie breakers, if either, or both, win we're good).

If Chicago loses tonight though, the first tiebreaker (and 2nd seed) only goes to us in the event that all 3 teams (us, new england, DC) win their games. These are the two other scenarios:

We win, DC wins, Chicago loses. We're all tied at 42. DC wins the first group (beating Chicago twice) to get 2nd in the east. Chicago wins the second group (us and Chicago) to get third in the east and the final wildcard spot. We are bumped out.

We win, NE wins, Chicago loses. We're all tied at 42. Chicago wins the first group to take second in the east, we win the second to get third and the final wildcard.

So, I guess the gist of it is this: If chicago win, we get in to the playoffs in one extra scenario (DC winning, NE losing, us winning, Colorado winning, FC Dallas losing). If they lose, we get second in the east and homefield advantage in four scenarios (NE win, DC win, TFC win, Colorado win, FC Dallas win: NE win, DC win, TFC win, Colorado lose, FC Dallas win: NE win, DC win, TFC win, Colorado win, FC Dallas lose: NE win, DC win, TFC win, Colorado lose, FC Dallas lose).

So, the point is, are you hoping for homefield advantage in 4 scenarios at the cost of missing the playoffs in 1?

denime
10-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Guys,please we have one thread already dedicated to all this calculation,no need to start here again.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=763967#post763967

Batman
10-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Party at Pat's place.

I probably couldn't talk you into coming out to the 519.

DOMIN8R
10-22-2009, 08:11 PM
Guys,please we have one thread already dedicated to all this calculation,no need to start here again.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=763967#post763967

What are you a Mod or something?

Batman
10-22-2009, 08:12 PM
this is the LIVE specuation and confusion thread...the other was pre_recorded.

denime
10-22-2009, 08:14 PM
What are you a Mod or something?

Who wants to know? :smash::smash:

MrHawk
10-22-2009, 08:16 PM
Hahaha the MLS playoffs commercial had nearly every time but TFC.

zeelaw
10-22-2009, 08:17 PM
im so confused on what hto root for

Batman
10-22-2009, 08:19 PM
im so confused on what hto root for

reread the thread...

then let us know

denime
10-22-2009, 08:20 PM
From what I remember - the hunchback hates playing in the rain or an the wet. But it's clear that they need him out there. Chicago can't risk loosing this game. Hamlett has everything to loose here. The Fire - the club most expected to make the plaoffs in the preseason - can't risk missing the playoffs.

Are you stating that if they lose tonight fire might miss playoffs?

hmmmm confusing,explain please :D

tfcleeds
10-22-2009, 08:21 PM
Ha, ha, I don't know how many Chivas supporters made the trip, but they're certainly making themselves heard..."Piss out the Fire"....

Batman
10-22-2009, 08:22 PM
field is getting pretty bleak

zeelaw
10-22-2009, 08:24 PM
reread the thread...

then let us know

i know i read it all and know of all the scenarios a long time ago, im still confused about what i should be excited for

Batman
10-22-2009, 08:26 PM
i know i read it all and know of all the scenarios a long time ago, im still confused about what i should be excited for

sorry, I should have added a smiley. Reading the thread will do you no good whatsoever .:D:D

DOMIN8R
10-22-2009, 08:30 PM

I know it looks like the Fire are a sure "in" the playoffs. But they have 42 points. The race for the final three playoff spots in MLS is a tight one, with seven teams vying for three spots, but the Fire can clinch its spot with a draw. If they get no points tonight -isn't it possible, depending on other team results, that they not make the playoffs?

CONFIRMED: I just checked - they need at least a point to clinch.

Auzzy
10-22-2009, 08:31 PM

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/sh...967#post763967 (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=763967#post763967)

:hide::hide::hide:

Chicago clinches a playoff spot with a win or a draw, but not necessarily with a loss: http://chicago.fire.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20091021&content_id=7513964&vkey=news_chf&fext=.jsp&team=t100

EDIT: GO TEAM GO!

denime
10-22-2009, 08:35 PM

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/sh...967#post763967 (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=763967#post763967)

Chicago clinches a playoff spot with a win or a draw, but not necessarily with a loss: http://chicago.fire.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20091021&content_id=7513964&vkey=news_chf&fext=.jsp&team=t100

What are you a Mod or something? :D:D:D

pppperkins
what happens if everyone draws

Batman

we know, this has evolved into a live match thread for the chi - chivas match

DOMIN8R

Well played. Nothing feels better than feeding it to the Mods:D

denime
10-22-2009, 08:36 PM
what happens if everyone draws

were buying the tickets for our first playoff game

Super
10-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Wow - so much water on the pitch.

Super
10-22-2009, 08:40 PM
Goal! Fire!

denime
1-0 Fire, own goal

pavintfc
what does that goal mean for us?

TFC Kevin
10-22-2009, 08:41 PM
1-0 Fire.
Own goal by Chivas...

Auzzy
10-22-2009, 08:41 PM
GO TEAM GO!

Wow, that was one of the more beautiful own goals I've seen.

Super
10-22-2009, 08:42 PM
Well that basically secures Fire the second spot in the eastern conference. Unless Chivas scores another two Chicago will finish ahead of us even if we beat NYRB.

Back to the original plan of beating NYRB and hoping for Dallas OR Colorado to drop points on Saturday. Easier to think about that scenario anyway :)

denime
10-22-2009, 08:44 PM
what does that goal mean for us?

we can't be 2nd place for sure,other than that .... well, you have to check in other thread :)

Auzzy
10-22-2009, 08:45 PM
Maybe somebody should have told that Chivas own goal scorer: the combination of heavy rain, and lots of hair gel, makes for very unpredictable headers...

DOMIN8R
10-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Woolard has wooly face.

Just saying.

DOMIN8R
10-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Well that basically secures Fire the second spot in the eastern conference. Unless Chivas scores another two Chicago will finish ahead of us even if we beat NYRB.

Back to the original plan of beating NYRB and hoping for Dallas OR Colorado to drop points on Saturday. Easier to think about that scenario anyway :)

That is it, that is all.

Auzzy
10-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Chicago could teach TFC a thing or two about closing out games...

ArmenJBX
10-22-2009, 09:06 PM
Chicago win, they're in the playoffs.

denime
10-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Ok,now that Chivas can't make 1st place,NE has a good chance vs Columbus,and DC vs Kansas City.

and if they win we don't care what Dallas is going to do,with 4 team tiebreaker we are in,with 3 teams tiebreaker(NE and DC) we are in.

:flare::drum::scarf::drum::flare:

ochos
10-22-2009, 09:13 PM
My head's spinning more than a high school kid drunk and stoned...

Redpunkfiddle
10-22-2009, 09:32 PM
Ok,now that Chivas can't make 1st place,NE has a good chance vs Columbus,and DC vs Kansas City.

and if they win we don't care what Dallas is going to do,with 4 team tiebreaker we are in,with 3 teams tiebreaker(NE and DC) we are in.

:flare::drum::scarf::drum::flare:

That's my personal favorite scenerio. A real winner. Go DC.

Eastend
10-23-2009, 07:18 AM
I call bullshit on the own goal.....I thought this last night watching the game and I think it even more watching it this morning......

HE MEANT TO SCORE ON HIS OWN GOAL!!!!!

Someone paid him.....take a look at the goal and you'll see. As a defender, when you try to head a ball clear from a corner you don't head it DOWN toward your own goal......

I say MLS needs to review this as it smells of match fixing.....

Bobo
10-23-2009, 12:19 PM
I call bullshit on the own goal.....I thought this last night watching the game and I think it even more watching it this morning......

HE MEANT TO SCORE ON HIS OWN GOAL!!!!!

Someone paid him.....take a look at the goal and you'll see. As a defender, when you try to head a ball clear from a corner you don't head it DOWN toward your own goal......

I say MLS needs to review this as it smells of match fixing.....

Is he Danish?