PDA

View Full Version : Toronto FC coach not worried about keeping job, Should Cummins be worried?

tfcmanu
10-22-2009, 02:24 PM
On the eve of what could be his final game as coach of Toronto FC, Chris Cummins insists he's not feeling any added pressure to win for the sake of his job.

"I was asked to do the job until the end of the season," said the 38-year-old Englishman, who was named interim head coach in April after John Carver abruptly quit.

"If that continues, listen, I don't know.

"I'll stay as long as I'm asked to stay and I'll move on if I'm asked to move on," he told reporters Thursday. "I think that's how it is. It's a job."..Cont'd

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/714316--toronto-fc-coach-not-worried-about-keeping-job (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/t...out-keeping-job)

:o

FluSH
10-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Just do the best you can...

tfcmanu
10-22-2009, 02:28 PM
Has to be beyond the best...Best doesn't cut it! :drinking:

wzhxvy
10-22-2009, 02:31 PM
lets win first. only way he stays is if we make a spectacular run in the playoffs...otherwise he is leaving safe to say.

Section 117
10-22-2009, 02:31 PM
If they dont win he should just leave from NY back to England

TFC Tifoso
10-22-2009, 02:36 PM
don't think he should be back either way......he was hired hastily as there was no one available, and if TFC does make the playoffs, I feel it is in spite of Cummins......although he may be a decent coach one day I don't want TFC to be his guinea pig.

like was suggested, only a deep run into the playoffs should warrant a consideration to re-sign.

Beach_Red
10-22-2009, 02:42 PM
I don't really know enough about the tactics of soccer, but has Cummins improved since he took over? He was thrown into the position with no preperation, the line-up continued to change during the season and still he's got them on the brink of the first playoff appearance.

Sure, we don't want to be the guinea pig, but if the tough part is over, why not? If he's going to be a good coach, why not here?

mastermixer
10-22-2009, 02:46 PM
lol that pic of Brennan and Cummins is so wrong
http://media.thestar.topscms.com/images/a0/e0/0b4f7e0c4ab88e84bd005e8e8989.jpeg

Shway
10-22-2009, 02:49 PM
i look at that pic as how much they wanted that win
respect
loyalty
love
heartache....

it could be a 1000 words....

but to choose wrong, come on thats our skipper, and coach

mastermixer
10-22-2009, 02:50 PM
You're right, there is a lot of passion in that hug, kinda puts it all in perspective.

Eastend
10-22-2009, 02:59 PM
lol that pic of Brennan and Cummins is so wrong
http://media.thestar.topscms.com/images/a0/e0/0b4f7e0c4ab88e84bd005e8e8989.jpeg

i look at that pic as how much they wanted that win
respect
loyalty
love
heartache....

it could be a 1000 words....

but to choose wrong, come on thats our skipper, and coach

You're right, there is a lot of passion in that hug, kinda puts it all in perspective.

Have to agree....and add relief....

MUFC_Niagara
10-22-2009, 03:29 PM
If he makes the playoffs, he'll be the coach that won us our first cup and took us to our first playoffs. I think people saying he's done are speaking too soon.

flatpicker
10-22-2009, 03:34 PM
If he makes the playoffs, he'll be the coach that won us our first cup and took us to our first playoffs. I think people saying he's done are speaking too soon.

I kind of agree with this.
There is no doubt that his job is hanging by a thread right now,
But if he actually gets this team into the playoffs (and perhaps even a good run in the playoffs)...
Then expect to see him back next season.

If not... then his chances are slim to none.

MUFC_Niagara
10-22-2009, 03:38 PM
I kind of agree with this.
There is no doubt that his job is hanging by a thread right now,
But if he actually gets this team into the playoffs (and perhaps even a good run in the playoffs)...
Then expect to see him back next season.

If not... then his chances are slim to none.

Exactly, and i'm not saying this based on my personal preference. I do like the guy. I think he has loads of potential to grow as a coach. Maybe bringing in a very experienced assistant is the answer, someone to help groom Cummins along the way. All I am saying is that the decision will likely be made on what happens in the remaining game/games. Having a team step up in big games and play with urgency can save a coach. Fergie was almost fired by Man Utd and we all know how that turned out.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Cummins should get at leats another year with TFC as manager..were .500 for a 3rd year club thats a very decent improvement on the first 2 years, win , lose or draw saturday..MO get him signed !!

MUFC_Niagara
10-22-2009, 04:19 PM
Cummins should get at leats another year with TFC as manager..were .500 for a 3rd year club thats a very decent improvement on the first 2 years, win , lose or draw saturday..MO get him signed !!

I wouldn't disagree with you, although i'd like to see what kind of performance we come out with on Saturday before I make my decision.

THA BUTCHA
10-22-2009, 04:23 PM
he should be fired. regardless of the outcome of this season.

ask yourself these two questions:

Is this team as it is today good enuff to meet your expectations?

In the remote likely hood of TFC reaching the MLS finals, do you think it is good for the sport in NA if a team like TFC can call themselves Champions?

Beach_Red
10-22-2009, 04:39 PM

In the remote likely hood of TFC reaching the MLS finals, do you think it is good for the sport in NA if a team like TFC can call themselves Champions?

I would say, yes, it would be fine for the sport in North America. It's why North American sports have playoff systems, so wild-card teams and teams that peak at the end of the season and teams that win head-to-head, elimination games can become champions.

Think about it as the lowest seeded team at the beginning of the Champions league going through to win it all. That's what the playoffs are.

flatpicker
10-22-2009, 04:45 PM

I think you need to look at the MLS playoffs as similar to the FA Cup.
The FA Cup gives lower ranked teams the chances to upset the clubs that finished high in the season standings.
Similar idea here (to a smaller degree).

So, yes... I'm fine with Toronto winning the Cup.
We didn't win the league... so this is our next chance at "glory".

THA BUTCHA
10-22-2009, 04:50 PM
I would say, yes, it would be fine for the sport in North America. It's why North American sports have playoff systems, so wild-card teams and teams that peak at the end of the season and teams that win head-to-head, elimination games can become champions.

Think about it as the lowest seeded team at the beginning of the Champions league going through to win it all. That's what the playoffs are.

I remember last year everyone was in a fit because the RED BULLS were one win a away from the cup and the consensus on this board was that they were undeserving.

and point number two.

Champions league means that you have to be a Championship quality team he your respective league to even qualify. So your point is invalid.

THA BUTCHA
10-22-2009, 04:55 PM
I think you need to look at the MLS playoffs as similar to the FA Cup.
The FA Cup gives lower ranked teams the chances to upset the clubs that finished high in the season standings.
Similar idea here (to a smaller degree).

I look at it this way aswell

Unfortunately. the MLS league office disagrees with us.
They send the MLS CUP champions to the WHITE HOUSE not the supporters shield winners. so again your point is also invalid

trane
10-22-2009, 05:08 PM

I agree, it would be hard to let him go. I am not even sure that I would want to. I would keep him, and hope that he grows with the job. From what I have seen so far, he is not there yet. So if we do not make the playoffs, I would have not hesitation in letting him go. But as you said if he does, I think that you are almost forced to give him a chance, unless you are going to bring someone like Trappa or Sven in. ( clearly not going to happen)

THA BUTCHA
10-22-2009, 05:14 PM
I think that you are almost forced to give him a chance, unless you are going to bring someone like Trappa or Sven in. ( clearly not going to happen)

How bout a guy like Steve Nicol.

Its much easier to acquire his services and is a proven MLS winner.

Like I said before.

For the LONG TERM success of TFC, MOJO and Cris Cummins Must be replaced regardless of the outcome of the rest of the season.

Beach_Red
10-22-2009, 05:16 PM
I look at it this way aswell

Unfortunately. the MLS league office disagrees with us.
They send the MLS CUP champions to the WHITE HOUSE not the supporters shield winners. so again your point is also invalid

No, it's not invalid, we just disagree.

Your original question was it is good for the sport in North America. The answer is yes, that's the way North American sports work. It happens all the time that wild-card teams and low seeded teams make the Super Bowl. American sports fans don't complain about that.

It would be bad for the sport to be too different from other North American sports right now. It can move further away as it gets more popular, but not yet.

Again, that's just my opnion, you can disagree all you want, but it isn't invalid ;).

Beach_Red
10-22-2009, 05:20 PM
How bout a guy like Steve Nicol.

Its much easier to acquire his services and is a proven MLS winner.

In six seasons he is 0-4 in MLS Cup games. Yes, he's won two Supporters Shields but the team has gained fewer points in each of the last three seasons.

Sure, he'd be a fine coach, but there's no way we'd accept that record after six season, is there? We really want the MLS Cup, don't we?

rocker
10-22-2009, 05:43 PM
In six seasons he is 0-4 in MLS Cup games. Yes, he's won two Supporters Shields but the team has gained fewer points in each of the last three seasons.

Sure, he'd be a fine coach, but there's no way we'd accept that record after six season, is there? We really want the MLS Cup, don't we?

very few coaches have ever won an MLS Cup, so if that's the test we'd have nobody to hire.

I would have to go back and watch those MLS Cup games to see what the circumstances were surrounding those losses.

But making the MLS Cup that many times is better than not making it. I mean, we're begging just to make the playoffs here ;)

THA BUTCHA
10-22-2009, 06:06 PM
No, it's not invalid, we just disagree.

Your original question was it is good for the sport in North America. The answer is yes, that's the way North American sports work. It happens all the time that wild-card teams and low seeded teams make the Super Bowl. American sports fans don't complain about that.

It would be bad for the sport to be too different from other North American sports right now. It can move further away as it gets more popular, but not yet.

Again, that's just my opnion, you can disagree all you want, but it isn't invalid ;).

you're under thee assumption that the way forward in growing the game in in NA is making the general NA sports fan a a fan of MLS. This is already proven it doesn't work. Don Garber has already said that the way forward is getting the existing soccer fan (which they are many) to become an mls fan. You do this by presenting the game exactly as their acustom to seeing it.
the league is slowly going in this direction.

the NA soccer fan doesnt care about playoffs. especially when an undeserving team with a 3 game win streak can label themselves champions.

and there are playoff attendance satistics to back up my point.

Blazer
10-22-2009, 06:09 PM
What’s he supposed to say?

“Uuum yeah, I really feel the pressure, I feel like I’m at the end of my tenure here, blah blah blah" … ?

Of course he’s gone.

Beach_Red
10-22-2009, 06:51 PM
you're under thee assumption that the way forward in growing the game in in NA is making the general NA sports fan a a fan of MLS. This is already proven it doesn't work. Don Garber has already said that the way forward is getting the existing soccer fan (which they are many) to become an mls fan. You do this by presenting the game exactly as their acustom to seeing it.
the league is slowly going in this direction.

the NA soccer fan doesnt care about playoffs. especially when an undeserving team with a 3 game win streak can label themselves champions.

and there are playoff attendance satistics to back up my point.

No, I agree, it's the way to go. It's the speed at which you go that's still to be determined.

I hope there are enough fans of soccer in enough markets to make a league work in North America. We'll see. And playoff games will likely get good attendence for a while. I would think any game TFC plays will get good attendance and someday it would be great if that were true of all the teams in the league. I don't think the playoff format will die off on its own through poor attendance, but if it gets cancelled by the league that would be okay by me.

You don't like the playoff format, I get it. I do. I like champions to be determined by head-to head elimination games.

A playoff 'tournament' is about the only way for a sport to be the main one on TV for a few weeks. Attendance is one thing, but if a league doesn't get good national TV ratings it'll be... well, the NHL.

I'd like it if there were more teams in the league so a smaller percentage make the playoffs. Maybe it's just because that's what I'm used to. there was a time in baseball when winning the pennant was as big a deal as the World Series but that's really faded. NFL playoff domination of TV ratings forced baseball to add rounds to the playoffs.

I won't mind if playoffs get eliminated but as long as they're still here I want TFC to win the MLS Cup.

gtaguy
10-22-2009, 07:41 PM
A good coach has that instinct of when to switch players and i don't see that in Cummins.
The man is still green and needs to learn the finer points of when its best to substitute a player whether it be a forward or a mid or a defencemen ..
Sigi from seattle is a perfect example of a coach that understands the game and has his tactics in place depending on how the game has developed... I like cummins however he has been thrown to the lions with a team he didn't get a chance to pick and choose his players... he's done well with what was given to him..
No matter what i don't want him as coach for next year and i think that he would best serve TFC as assistant for alittle while longer..

scooter
10-22-2009, 07:51 PM
which one of you experts is stepping up to take his job
give the man a break he was thrown into this
he is a great coach and could be very valuable to tfc in years to come so quit the whinning plus it isnt even winter yet
i have posted before " make chris our coach he deserves it " this interim shite does not give him the tools to get the job done

CHRIS CUMMINGS FOR FULL TIME COACH AMEN

gtaguy
10-22-2009, 08:01 PM
which one of you experts is stepping up to take his job
give the man a break he was thrown into this
he is a great coach and could be very valuable to tfc in years to come so quit the whinning plus it isnt even winter yet
i have posted before " make chris our coach he deserves it " this interim shite does not give him the tools to get the job done

CHRIS CUMMINGS FOR FULL TIME COACH AMEN

I stand to disagree in making him a full time coach.. but you are absolutely right in the fact that he could be very valuable in the years to come.. I just don't see that coach instinct in him yet and Toronto is not the place for a coach to try and make something of himself..
His dicision making is still GREEN... we have seen this how many times this year ....

MUFC_Niagara
10-22-2009, 08:23 PM
A good coach has that instinct of when to switch players and i don't see that in Cummins.
The man is still green and needs to learn the finer points of when its best to substitute a player whether it be a forward or a mid or a defencemen ..
Sigi from seattle is a perfect example of a coach that understands the game and has his tactics in place depending on how the game has developed... I like cummins however he has been thrown to the lions with a team he didn't get a chance to pick and choose his players... he's done well with what was given to him..
No matter what i don't want him as coach for next year and i think that he would best serve TFC as assistant for alittle while longer..

I don't disagree with you either! lol.

v00d00daddy
10-22-2009, 09:32 PM

So you say that you don't know enough a lot about tactics but Cummins MIGHT turn out to be a good coach...so why not here?]

Then you go and say that you don't want Nicol even though he's gone to the final 4 times and won the supporters shield twice?

Huh?

Right now Cummins is an average coach, at best. If you're okay with going through the growing pains with him, that's one thing...but to suggest that he's a better option that a proven MLS coach is another thing entirely.

For the record...I don't particularly want Steve Nicol here but that's not the point.

Cummins should be let go or demoted back down to whatever he was before. It has nothing to do with subsititutions. A coach of his experience knows when to make substitutions. A coach at the under 14 level at any club in Canada knows when to make them. What he lacks is the vision to mold a team that can play any kind of cohesive system. A team that has a gameplan and exectutes it. Cummins...much like the guy he replaced, is stuck in that bullshit "kick and run" mentality.

I would prefer to see a wholesale change of management, coaching and most importantly, philosophy...even though that won't happen.

Beach_Red
10-22-2009, 09:50 PM
So you say that you don't know enough a lot about tactics but Cummins MIGHT turn out to be a good coach...so why not here?]

Then you go and say that you don't want Nicol even though he's gone to the final 4 times and won the supporters shield twice?

Huh?

Right now Cummins is an average coach, at best. If you're okay with going through the growing pains with him, that's one thing...but to suggest that he's a better option that a proven MLS coach is another thing entirely.

For the record...I don't particularly want Steve Nicol here but that's not the point.

Cummins should be let go or demoted back down to whatever he was before. It has nothing to do with subsititutions. A coach of his experience knows when to make substitutions. A coach at the under 14 level at any club in Canada knows when to make them. What he lacks is the vision to mold a team that can play any kind of cohesive system. A team that has a gameplan and exectutes it. Cummins...much like the guy he replaced, is stuck in that bullshit "kick and run" mentality.

I would prefer to see a wholesale change of management, coaching and most importantly, philosophy...even though that won't happen.

No, I never said I didn't want Nicols. I said he may be a fine coach. I don't know.

I just find that for TFC supporters we give an awful lot of love to New England.

You're right, it's unlikely there will be a wholesale change of management. the team just isn't in bad enough shape to warrant that, they've improved every year so far and are in the thick of it right now, no worse than most teams in the league. Going by what happens with their other teams, TFC would have to sink a lot lower than they are for MLSE to make wholesale changes.

I have found it tough to get a read on TFC - what do you think the philosophy is now and what should it be? Do you think the team philosophy has changed at all from its first year as a start-up expansion team to now?

Ossington Mental Youth
10-22-2009, 10:30 PM

agreed

v00d00daddy
10-22-2009, 10:30 PM
I have found it tough to get a read on TFC - what do you think the philosophy is now and what should it be? Do you think the team philosophy has changed at all from its first year as a start-up expansion team to now?

By philosophy I mean style of play. Of course, we all want them to succeed on the field...the question is how? What is the model?

I'm not talking about marketing or ticket sales...I'm concerned about the tactical, on field "philosophy" of this club.

It's been clear since day one that they're going after the UK model. Just look at the staff. Top to bottom. There's nothing wrong with the UK model...as long as it's contemporary...and attractive...which TFC's is not.

TFC is upon a kick and run, win it with hard work mentality. This is the kind of coach that Cummins has shown himself to be and the type of coach that Carver was. This is the type of player that TFC loves to employ. See: Players of the year Robinson and Brennan.

Take the last couple of games as examples of Cummin's coaching style. TFC went out and spent a ton of money on a midfield player. A guy who by definitionn is a holding mid but most would agree, has the ability to control the game with the ball at his feet.

What does TFC do? Kick it over his head over and over. JDG, (and Guevara for that matter), was forced to come back to the edge of his own 18 to demand balls from the defenders. If he didn't, more often than not, Nana or Brennan or Serioux would hoof the ball up field.

Seriously..if this is what Cummins wants to do, I don't care if TFC win the MLS cup...he should be gone.

Beach_Red
10-23-2009, 07:58 AM
It's been clear since day one that they're going after the UK model. Just look at the staff. Top to bottom. There's nothing wrong with the UK model...as long as it's contemporary...and attractive...which TFC's is not.

TFC is upon a kick and run, win it with hard work mentality. This is the kind of coach that Cummins has shown himself to be and the type of coach that Carver was. This is the type of player that TFC loves to employ. See: Players of the year Robinson and Brennan.

Take the last couple of games as examples of Cummin's coaching style. TFC went out and spent a ton of money on a midfield player. A guy who by definitionn is a holding mid but most would agree, has the ability to control the game with the ball at his feet.

What does TFC do? Kick it over his head over and over. JDG, (and Guevara for that matter), was forced to come back to the edge of his own 18 to demand balls from the defenders. If he didn't, more often than not, Nana or Brennan or Serioux would hoof the ball up field.

Seriously..if this is what Cummins wants to do, I don't care if TFC win the MLS cup...he should be gone.

I am one of those North American fans coming over from other sports, so this is a learning experience for me. So, thanks for your patience (I'm afraid for the sake of MLS success you guys may have to be very patient to build up the fan base ;)).

I have seen a lot of expansion teams in other sports, though, and they usually start with a basic style, or philosophy, because they have few options. Almost all expansion hockey teams start with the most boring, defensive play and as they get better players move on from there.

With TFC the style of play at the end of this season seems different from the end of last season. Maybe not different enough. It did seem strange that Vitti wasn't playing.

I am torn. Part of me says use whatever tactics it takes to win the Cup, but I do remember when some very bad (boring) play got some teams into the Stanley Cup finals and I pretty much stopped watching hockey, so I see your point.

But if the line-up that's been posted is the one they use tomorrow it does look like more of a control game. Certainly they should be able to control it more against the worst team in the league. So, is the team moving forward at all?

v00d00daddy
10-23-2009, 10:38 AM
I am one of those North American fans coming over from other sports, so this is a learning experience for me. So, thanks for your patience (I'm afraid for the sake of MLS success you guys may have to be very patient to build up the fan base ;)).

I have seen a lot of expansion teams in other sports, though, and they usually start with a basic style, or philosophy, because they have few options. Almost all expansion hockey teams start with the most boring, defensive play and as they get better players move on from there.

With TFC the style of play at the end of this season seems different from the end of last season. Maybe not different enough. It did seem strange that Vitti wasn't playing.

I am torn. Part of me says use whatever tactics it takes to win the Cup, but I do remember when some very bad (boring) play got some teams into the Stanley Cup finals and I pretty much stopped watching hockey, so I see your point.

But if the line-up that's been posted is the one they use tomorrow it does look like more of a control game. Certainly they should be able to control it more against the worst team in the league. So, is the team moving forward at all?

The lineup last week looked like more of a control game too. Guevara and JDG were out there together and we still found ways to give the ball right back to RSL over and over.

I don't know what to say. I hope we win...and if I had my choice on how we win, it would be to totally control the game. I don't need to see beautiful soccer but it would be nice to see TFC keep possession as much as possible and frustrate NYRB. Unfortunately, Cummins is not the guy to get them to do that.

CoachGT
10-23-2009, 10:57 AM
I think that one of the issues related to style of play is the natural instincts of the players and their talent levels. Players at the higher levels of the UK game (Premiership and Championship) are very skilled players, moreso than most found in MLS. Many have grown up watching and playing the game, much like most Canadians have grown up with hockey. They've watched the game develop and learn tactics from continued observation and then implement similar tactics on the youth fields.

To be very blunt about it, TFC, while having some good players, doesn't have the same level of talent as the top teams in the UK, and as such, employ a somewhat modified style of play. The UK model has been successful at times (when played well) against the South/Central American styles, a style that is closer to what most MLS opponents play. We employ some parts of it (when we make frequent quick short passes on the ground) but frequently try to move the ball upfield with a quick pass through the air, one that many times isn't controlled when it gets to where it is meant to go. And many times the ball goes into open space that is not being tracked by one of our guys - they've taken a slightly different direction somewhere along the way.

Over time, as we become better at executing, our results should improve. But the purely possession style of play seems to have had the better results in the league to date. Our talent levels have improved over the last two years, meaning our execution is also improving. We've still got a ways to go, though. And we are playing more possession at times, and the players are practicing it as well. In the long run, having a different style should make other teams adjust to us more than we have to adjust to their styles. But we've got to get better at it in the meantime.

Beach_Red
10-23-2009, 12:02 PM
Over time, as we become better at executing, our results should improve. But the purely possession style of play seems to have had the better results in the league to date. Our talent levels have improved over the last two years, meaning our execution is also improving. We've still got a ways to go, though. And we are playing more possession at times, and the players are practicing it as well. In the long run, having a different style should make other teams adjust to us more than we have to adjust to their styles. But we've got to get better at it in the meantime.

Sorry to keep asking dumb question, but how much does the opposition dictate the style TFC plays (within the styles the talent level llows)? By that I mean, a possession game seems like it would be easier to execute against a weaker opponent - say NYRB, than against a more talented team.

CoachGT
10-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Pretty simple, really. The better team usually dictates the style of play, and the opponent usually tries to adapt. Or it may be the team that adapts their game to the conditions. It doesn't always mean the team that is higher in the standings, but the team that is carrying the run of play.

Example, look at the Seattle game in TO, the opener. Seattle played a possession game, and when the wind conditions became a factor, their passes were shortened and they kept everything on the ground. Their ball movement that game was superior to ours, because we didn't adapt and kept putting balls in the air, far too long.

Just like a hockey game, one team sets the pace and the other responds. All too often we've been the team trying to respond. But every now and again, we set the tone. I thought we did a pretty good job last weekend, although RSL managed to get a couple of good chances just by making the most of the openings they were given. In some of our games, you can see the run of play go against us - San Jose. If we kept at our game for the full 90, rather than changing to a more defensive style of play, we would have had a better result. And it isn't that the coaches wanted to change the style - sometimes the players do that on their own. The main tool a manager has is to be able to make a limited number of changes (3) to try and influence things. Beyond that, the only other tool is yelling, and that doesn't work as well as it could. So the result is a change in starting lineup - players also respond to their lack of playing time!

jabbronies
10-23-2009, 02:08 PM
I agree with most on here. CC is not the man for TFC head coach.

However, i wouldn't get rid of him completly. I still think he works well with youth, I saw it at the coaches seminar, and we've seen it in that game when we've played mostly a young team.

Drop him back as an assistant or get him in the youth system IMO, but don't get rid of him completly.

v00d00daddy
10-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Hey...I just remembered something. Did anybody notice, during an injury stoppage in the 2nd half against RSL...Cummins handed Brennan note...Brennan read it and ran over and gave it to JDG who read it and then played with it in his hand for a few seconds.

I've never seen that before.

I wonder what it said.

Thoughts?

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-23-2009, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't disagree with you, although i'd like to see what kind of performance we come out with on Saturday before I make my decision.

its up to the players what kind of performance they put in...if they cant raise their game with whats riding on this outcome them no manager in
the world could work magic...lets see if the leading vote getter in the RPB
player of the year?? produces finally or as in the last couple of months
chokes under the pressure....Players it all up to you now NO EXCUSES!!

CoachGT
10-23-2009, 02:11 PM
I saw that too, and thought it a novel way to get a message through to the players without yelling it across the pitch.

A note about positioning, perhaps?

CoachGT
10-23-2009, 02:14 PM
In answer to the question at hand, should he be worried? Every coach worries about his position before a big game, unless he's been around the team for a long time. But his focus should be on the game, not his job. My comments above are not an indictment of Chris nor a vote of confidence, just observations.

Focus.......on........the.........game!

jabbronies
10-23-2009, 02:20 PM
I saw that too, and thought it a novel way to get a message through to the players without yelling it across the pitch.

A note about positioning, perhaps?

They've done this before. Usually it was Robbo who gets the note and he re-arranges/reassigns players on the pitch.