PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Crisis : Who do we need?

TFCtoMUFC
10-21-2009, 06:38 AM
We all know we need a new coach, but is there anyone not under contract that would coach here *cough* Sven *cough*. Philadelphia is not even a team yet and they have Piotr Nowak coaching. I was thinking Bora Milutinovic would be a good candidate.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-21-2009, 06:40 AM
Someone who knows the league, has decent strategy and doesnt mind working under (possibly meddling) Mo

Stouffville_RPB
10-21-2009, 06:44 AM
Steve Nichol (New England)
John Lumiatis (Montreal L'impact)
Stephen Hart (Canada)
Preki (Chivas USA)

TFCtoMUFC
10-21-2009, 06:52 AM
Steve Nichol (New England)
John Lumiatis (Montreal L'impact)
Stephen Hart (Canada)
Preki (Chivas USA)

Isn't Preki the reason Guevara doesnt play there anymore?

Stouffville_RPB
10-21-2009, 06:55 AM
Not sure but I'm not sure Guevara is coming back next year anyway.

Yohan
10-21-2009, 07:17 AM
*sigh* another one of these threads? didn't we have one like last week?

sweetlemon69
10-21-2009, 07:21 AM
John Cryuff. We need him to come in and do what he did at Barcelona. Youth system, philosophy and more of a total football approach.

Hitcho
10-21-2009, 07:47 AM
We all know we need a new coach, but is there anyone not under contract that would coach here *cough* Sven *cough*. Philadelphia is not even a team yet and they have Piotr Nowak coaching. I was thinking Bora Milutinovic would be a good candidate.

Sven IS under contract, for an awful lot of money, at Notts County. And I'd rather see Cummins stay on than have that turnip head in charge. He's utterly clueless and his reputation is built on success he bought in Italy a long time ago and getting England to some quarter finals which frankly I could probably have done with the players he had. He's a classic case of people thinking that because he's expensive he must be good.

John Cryuff. We need him to come in and do what he did at Barcelona. Youth system, philosophy and more of a total football approach.

Nice dream to have, but this league doesn't have the players to pull off total football in any meaningful form. We have journeymen have are forced to play out of position because of the roster size and cap rules, but that's a very different thing. And a youth system like Ajax have would be utterly wasted since A) we'd never get in talent that was worth having to justify the expense and B) there are strict rules in palce as to how many youth players you can graduate into your squad anyway.

Oh, and who the hell is John Cryuff?! And Steve Nichol?!

Sorry if this seems a bit snarky, it's too early on Weds morning, but seriously guys, be serious. Sven? Cruyff?

And let's back Cummins through the final game of the season and any play off games before we get into all this.

:scarf::scarf::scarf:

crofty
10-21-2009, 07:58 AM
i don't remember the circumstances when he left, but what about Bob Gansler? He has won a supporter's shield, an mls cup and coach of the year....

Lucky Strike
10-21-2009, 08:00 AM
*sigh* another one of these threads? didn't we have one like last week?

...and the week before, and the week before that...

Suds
10-21-2009, 12:29 PM
...and the week before, and the week before that...

I'll start the one next week.

Technorgasm
10-21-2009, 12:30 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3089/3100317743_ab4ff76e96_o.jpg

felipe
10-21-2009, 01:51 PM
what an ugly shirt! And look at that funny crest - what is that?

CretanBull
10-21-2009, 02:44 PM
mid-late 80's Liverpool jersey.

Darlofletch
10-21-2009, 02:47 PM
I saw him score a hat-trick, but they may have switched from crown paints to candy by then.

Technorgasm
10-21-2009, 04:17 PM
Cummins has always been "INTERIM" head coach. . .

this is not going to die on the boards until he is named or another solution is found.

I repeat:

NICOL

Hitcho
10-21-2009, 08:38 PM
I saw him score a hat-trick, but they may have switched from crown paints to candy by then.

You know, for someone who hates "big clubs" Dunc, you sure do tell that story a lot... :D

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-21-2009, 08:44 PM

who says we need a new manager? Chris Cummins has done a decent job
with what he has available to put out each game...we dont need a steve Nicol, he as aceived nothing in New england except epect failure..Sven
would be to high $$ wise..Bora same thing...give CC another couple of seasons to finish what he started.

Darlofletch
10-21-2009, 08:49 PM
You know, for someone who hates "big clubs" Dunc, you sure do tell that story a lot... :D

Don't worry, I'll bust it out again if he gets the job. I have no problem admitting I was one of those distasteful glory hunter types as a kid, before I saw the light.

Hitcho
10-21-2009, 09:13 PM
Don't worry, I'll bust it out again if he gets the job. I have no problem admitting I was one of those distasteful glory hunter types as a kid, before I saw the light.

Now see, that's positive thinking - you're already getting ready to relate your tales of being a plastic, glory seeking fan as a kid ready for when Nicol gets appointed. English Rachel would be glowing with English Pride... :D

Super
10-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Personally I would love to see Steve Nicol as head coach of TFC. However, I seriously doubt he, or any other big name MLS coach for that matter, would agree to a coaching role at TFC when it's really a very watered down position compared to what is seen at other MLS clubs. Remember, we have a manager, and then we have a coach under the manager. At New England Nicol was the Boss. Here he would be coach - and nothing more.

Damien
10-21-2009, 09:23 PM
It's better to discuss this after saturdays game... thats kinda the decider whether cummins stays / goes / relegated back to assistant.

Super
10-21-2009, 10:00 PM
It's better to discuss this after saturdays game... thats kinda the decider whether cummins stays / goes / relegated back to assistant.

Oh absolutely. If we lose on Saturday, or do not make the play-offs even with a win, it's likely that the general consensus will be to get rid of Cummins - and immediately. However, should we win, and should the other results fall in our favour, then it's likely that support for Cummins will go up - and certainly a lot more if we make it through the first round. Now this may be dreaming, but if we make the play-offs then there is a chance we might go ahead and win the whole thing. Would we replace Cummins too if this happens?

It's definitely too early to tell. One game at a time. Let the end result be the judge of Cummins' future. I for one do NOT want to get rid of a coach who has delivered on expectations (which was to win the CC and make the 1st round of the play-offs).

Dunkers
10-21-2009, 10:15 PM
^ At first thought i do tend to agree, that we need to let the season finish before we can judge the head coach.

But at the same time, i think of how the CC was won, a mircale preformance in the last game of the tourney, and no matter what we do next week, we still need help making the playoffs from other teams...i feel like the team doesnt need to squeek into everything, given the talent on the team. I think we are good enough to control our own fate, instead of having our backs against the wall

I think if we make the playoffs, cummins and his supporters will take credit for reaching thier goals, i just think a little thanks to lady luck will be overlooked

I guess you cant fire a guy for having a horseshoe up his arse

Super
10-21-2009, 10:19 PM
Cummins has had his share of luck, but most certainly also his share of bad luck. This was a strange season and certainly we'll have a very long off-season to put everything into perspective. However, as a general rule I focus less on the path taken towards the goal and more on whether or not the mission was accomplished.

Beach_Red
10-21-2009, 10:54 PM
Personally I would love to see Steve Nicol as head coach of TFC. However, I seriously doubt he, or any other big name MLS coach for that matter, would agree to a coaching role at TFC when it's really a very watered down position compared to what is seen at other MLS clubs. Remember, we have a manager, and then we have a coach under the manager. At New England Nicol was the Boss. Here he would be coach - and nothing more.

Are you sure about that? Because it really looked like at least when Carver was here Mo was pretty happy to let him be boss, handle all the player desicions, target guys, make the decisions on trials, all that. In fact, it may be a better job with someone else worrying about all those weird MLS roster rules.

Also, it hasn't really worked in New Engand, has it? They've been slipping steadily the last three years and at the moment don't look any better than TFC with its interim coach.

It seems like the best thing about NE is that there's no pressure. Could you imagine how much people would be freaking out here if Mo led the team to a 0-4 record in the Championship game? And then started getting fewer points three years in a row? Even MLSE would probably fire him then. But in NE all the ownership really care about are the Pats. Do they even know they also own the Revs?

Next year BMO with grass, a pretty good-looking line-up, supporters who care -- I'm really starting to think TFC is the far better place to coach.

billyfly
10-21-2009, 11:27 PM
Ever time this topic comes up I say the best thing for RPB would be billyfly's family member Nelo Vingada - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelo_Vingada

He just got fired - http://www.portugoal.net/index.php/more-guimaraes-news/4470-nelo-vingada-ousted-by-guimaraes

Bars92
10-22-2009, 12:23 AM
Sack the Swede.

jazz_trumpet
10-22-2009, 12:39 AM
There is only one man that can satisfy each and every one of you.

That man is the Special One.

Jose Mourinho

http://www.queensjournal.ca/media/content/2007/12/jose-mourinho.jpg

westrouge
10-22-2009, 12:53 AM
We need to keep the coach we have. Is everyone forgetting what an asset stability is? The revolving door at TFC needs to slow down.

Hitcho
10-22-2009, 08:39 AM
^ yes it does, but only when we have a decent coach and squad in place. what if we had kept the "stability" of our first ever squad from season one?

You need quality before stability is useful, and while we have that in the squad now (bar a wide player and an assasin) we do not have it in our head coach. And, ultimately, an inept coach will never do well even with a strong and settled squad. Cummins is not a head coach, he was dropped into this by default (I think he's done the best he can, which isn't bad in the circumstances, but ultimately he's not up to par). We need a strong, quality head coach and THEN we need stability.

Yohan
10-22-2009, 09:20 AM
[quote=Hitcho;762890We need a strong, quality head coach and THEN we need stability.[/quote]
what he said