PDA

View Full Version : No matter what happens in NY-I am optimistic about next year

trane
10-20-2009, 08:47 AM
I just wanted to put it on the record, in case that bitter sourness strikes after the weekend. ( I do think we will win-but just in case we play Garcia I want to say this)

I think we have a very solid if not great squad for MLS standards, I hope that the coaching will match. But I beleive we will have a great season next year, not that I have given up on this one yet.

----------Gerba--------OBW---------
---------------De Ro--------------
---Sanyang------JDG---------Cronin

Felinga---------------------------Gomez
------------Attakora-----Serioux

Just an example of what we can put out there that I would be happy with.

Beach_Red
10-20-2009, 08:48 AM
I agree.

Parkdale
10-20-2009, 08:49 AM
oh yeah, I've always been more optimistic about next year than this year.
After we gave up that late goal to San Jose.... I thought we were done... BUT
it was clear that the pieces were there, just not working right.

If we don't make playoffs, or make a quick exit from them, then you can bet
that there will be a BIG fire lit under the players collective ass over the winter to improve.

Hitcho
10-20-2009, 08:51 AM
I think we need to add some width to the squad, dump a couple of players like Garcia and, most importantly, bring in a head coach that can cut it as an MLS manager and who knows how to get the best out of a squad limited by roster size and cap space.

But yeah, I think the basis for a great season is there, we are now just looking for the final few pieces of the puzzle (although a coach is a key, central piece) and a bit of luck with injuries and officiating.

ManUtd4ever
10-20-2009, 08:52 AM
[quote=trane;759592]I just wanted to put it on the record, in case that bitter sourness strikes after the weekend. ( I do think we will win-but just in case we play Garcia I want to say this)

I think we have a very solid if not great squad for MLS standards, I hope that the coaching will match. But I beleive we will have a great season next year, not that I have given up on this one yet.

I will be very disappointed, but satisfied, if TFC wins in NY and still doesn't make the playoffs. Having said that, I am also very ethusiastic about next season...

Belfast_Boy
10-20-2009, 08:53 AM
I saw the title of this and thought "I'm not even thinking about next year, I expect a win this Saturday!" then I read the word that means defensive death for TFC...."Garcia"..... please please please don't play him!

I like that line up Trane! 3 - 1 TFC!!!!!

Redcoe15
10-20-2009, 09:10 AM
If we can get a experienced coach that can a good system in place that can bring out the best in the players, then absolutly next year will be awesome.

Balls in your court, Mo!

Beach_Red
10-20-2009, 09:38 AM
If we can get a experienced coach that can a good system in place that can bring out the best in the players, then absolutly next year will be awesome.

Balls in your court, Mo!

You've go to think that a few good MLS coaches will be more interested in coming to Toronto now that the line-up looks pretty good.

Roogsy
10-20-2009, 09:52 AM
We need a coach who can manage this squad. Full stop.

This squad should have done better. This IS a playoff squad even without JDG...with him, we certainly shouldn't be looking at a 50/50 chance of making it in, it should be more secure.

mastermixer
10-20-2009, 10:19 AM
I think one of the major issue we had this year was the inconsistant lineups. As a former/current soccer player I know what it is like to play with the same players week after week and when you add a new player into the mix it really is not as easy as it looks to get a flow going.

Oldtimer
10-20-2009, 10:26 AM
We have not even begun to see what a fully match-fit JDG will do to this squad.
I hope that Mo doesn't do too much turnover in the squad.
Ship out Garcia for a good organizing defender, add a good striker, and we're done.
Oh yes, and add an experienced coach.

SilverSamurai
10-20-2009, 10:41 AM
I'm optimistic too.
Just wondering, does JDG have to be protected for the draft or do DP's have some bubble that doesn't allow them to be drafted?

trane
10-20-2009, 10:41 AM
We need a coach who can manage this squad. Full stop.

This squad should have done better. This IS a playoff squad even without JDG...with him, we certainly shouldn't be looking at a 50/50 chance of making it in, it should be more secure.

Agreed. That is why I am off asking for Mo's resignation. However, it is for him to bring in the right coach. We are not missing much. Yes an upgrade at striker and CB, but that could come from the present players steping up. I still believe Gerba can be a top striker in this league. IF used correctly, and used PERIOD. I also think that Gomez, Attakora and Serioux may be the answer at CB, but a pure top CB would not hurt.

Hitcho
10-20-2009, 12:29 PM
We have not even begun to see what a fully match-fit JDG will do to this squad.
I hope that Mo doesn't do too much turnover in the squad.
Ship out Garcia for a good organizing defender, add a good striker, and we're done.
Oh yes, and add an experienced coach.

Definitely want to see mininmal turnover in the squad, I think that's really important after three years of revolving doors for players and staff alike.

That said, I think that unless we add a wide option we're too one dimensional. We have some great central players, but teams will quickly realise they can stifle us by sticking a couple of DCMs in place and then hitting us on the break. Plus, having players wide who pose a material threat will help create more space in the middle for our stong central players.

So yeah, new head coach who ticks all the right boxes, Garcia out, one or two wide players in (they can be young and relatively inexpensive, we have quality in the squad and just need balance now) and a free scoring striker would be a welcome bonus.

My worry is that we'll see too many players depart to maintain stability, especially with a new coach. For instance, if we lost (in addition to Dichio and hopefully Garcia) Robbo, Amado, Vitti, Barrett and someone in the expansion draft that doesn't end up being protected, then we're looking at a major squad overhaul again, coupled with a new head coach. And there goes consistency for the fourth season running...

MUFC_Niagara
10-20-2009, 12:39 PM
trane, I agree and your optimism is much appreciated!

C.Ronaldo
10-20-2009, 12:39 PM
Brennan scored his goal at home

he will retire
robbo will retire

gueverra will stay...he will be on fire next year with the W.C dream

barrett will find a job at McDonalds

Hitcho
10-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Brennan scored his goal at home

he will retire
robbo will retire

gueverra will stay...he will be on fire next year with the W.C dream

barrett will find a job at McDonalds

I can't see Brennan retiring. We're not exactly stocked at FB and he badly wants to win more stuff with TFC before he goes. No suggestion at all (apart from disgruntled fans who think his performance levels have dropped a bit this season) that he will retire. My money is on him staying in place.

Robbo is tricker because of the JDG, Sanyang, Cronin scenario and the fact that his form really dipped this season plus he's expensive. That said though, he doesn't strike me as the kind of player that would want to go out on a low. Plus he has (I think) a year left on his contract and is unlikely to find any offers back home. I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay put for one more year. But I also wouldn't be surprised to see him off loaded (rather than retiring). Again thougb, my guess is he'll be here next season. He has proven class and both Sanyang and Cronin have much to learn yet, plus do we really want to limit JDG to a defensive role? I think not.

Nothing to suggest Amado is leaving. I think he'll be here next season. If MLS breaks for the group stages of the WC (as I heard it would be) then we won't lose him for any significant amount of playing time either.

Barrett is tricky. He's young, industrious and American so may prove tempting to other teams, although he's expensive unless they negotiate him down in the trade. Plus his goal ratio for us is poor. However, he's been playing wide a lot and done a good job. And unless Mo has someone lined up to replace him, I think he'll stay put. We have Gerba, OBW and Barrett as strikers. Chancing it with two next season is too risky, even for trader Mo.

Hugh Jazz
10-20-2009, 01:01 PM
The pieces are definitely there, more time to gel and better coaching is what I think the team needs most. No revolving door during the off season. I think four starting quality players is the maximum we can afford to lose and that could happen pretty quickly with the rumours of some people leaving + the expansion draft.

AL-MO
10-20-2009, 01:02 PM
All I am thinking about at this point is New York and making the playoffs....nothing else!

Pachuco
10-20-2009, 01:05 PM
I just wanted to put it on the record, in case that bitter sourness strikes after the weekend. ( I do think we will win-but just in case we play Garcia I want to say this)

I agree with everything you say, I would put Barrett on instead of Gerba though (yes, Barrett) and I'd find a replacement left back for Brennan and move him up to mid. Felinga hasn't shown me anything that warrants having him on a starting lineup, that's just my opinion. Sanyang would be first off the bench for any of the midfielders in my perfect world.

This is of course without going out and getting any further acquisitions.

Cashcleaner
10-20-2009, 01:06 PM
The pieces are definitely there, more time to gel and better coaching is what I think the team needs most. No revolving door during the off season. I think four starting quality players is the maximum we can afford to lose and that could happen pretty quickly with the rumours of some people leaving + the expansion draft.

Couldn't have said it better myself. On paper we're looking to be a very strong team. There's still a gap that needs to be filled here or there, but for the most part the roster is fine as it is. The midfield is especially strong and I don't see the need for any major change in that area. All said, I think coaching is going to have a big impact on our fortunes next season. Someone new has to come in and refine the talent we have to make the squad competitive. That's the one big change we'll need.

trane
10-20-2009, 01:12 PM
All I am thinking about at this point is New York and making the playoffs....nothing else!

I understand, and I am with you, but too some point it is out of our hands. Had we not conceded the late goal at home, it would have been a differents story. Now we can win and still not make it. I just want to remind myself not to get too negative if it does not happen. We are in a good position to suceed.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-20-2009, 01:22 PM
exactly..next year is next year lets get one more win and a Dallas and New England loss or draw...we need columbus to defeat New england next sunday on Gol tv!!:picard:

Oldtimer
10-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Barrett's not as bad as some make him out to be. He creates space, and opportunities due to his work-rate. He is NOT a clinical finisher, however. He would be of interest to some teams, and TFC might well keep him.

I expect the club to leave him unprotected in the expansion draft, due to his cost.

Whoop
10-20-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm with you trane.

It's just that there's something gnawing at me in regards to Mo though.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

ensco
10-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Perspective-type musings (and trade discussions, for that matter) are for after the season.

I will be disappointed unless we win the MLS Cup this year. If we get in, we can beat anybody.

trane
10-20-2009, 01:39 PM
exactly..next year is next year lets get one more win and a Dallas and New England loss or draw...we need columbus to defeat New england next sunday on Gol tv!!:picard:

Al-Mo you must feel validated now that Mighty agrees with you.

trane
10-20-2009, 01:39 PM
I'm with you trane.

It's just that there's something gnawing at me in regards to Mo though.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

What? He will take over the club as coach???

Whoop
10-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Well, who is he going to hire?

It's just more a feeling that somehow it's going to get all screwed up next year.

trane
10-20-2009, 02:01 PM
^ I share that concern mark with you.

kitchener-TFC
10-20-2009, 03:42 PM
Oh man, after working with Winsper for the pre-season, OBW should be on fire next season. Hopefully Gerba will be in better shape as well. We might see a bit more goals from our strikers next season.

SilverSamurai
10-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Oh man, after working with Winsper for the pre-season, OBW should be on fire next season. Hopefully Gerba will be in better shape as well. We might see a bit more goals from our strikers next season.
Don't forget JDG. He's in his prime.

jloome
10-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Be a long next season if he doesn't sign a wide player or two.

trane
10-20-2009, 05:02 PM
^ But with the right manager, they can play with a 5-4-1 like you suggested or 5-3-2, ussing Felinga, Wynne and Brennan as WB a role to which they seem to be suited for. The right manager to implement the right system seems to be the key.

[ Cronin may be able to play as a WB as well]

Hitcho
10-20-2009, 05:03 PM

If Cummins goes, will Winsper stay? I hope so, but we have to face up to the fact that he might take off with Carver and Cummins both out the door.

Beach_Red
10-20-2009, 05:06 PM
The result in NY does't matter, but the effort does. I know there was nothing to play for, but that last game in San Jose last year was just awful. This is a much different team with DeRo, JDG, Cronin, Frei, Serioux...

Hitcho
10-20-2009, 05:08 PM
I would really like to see us sign at least one winger, ideally on the right side.

I agree that we can play a workable system under the right coach (and Saturday showed that jloome's system can work quite well with three at the back - humble pie swalled by me then jezza!), but I'd still like to see us have a different tactical option.

Brennan and/or Fellinga can play LM.

If we can add a decent RM then teams won't know which system we're likely to play and it makes it much harder to plan for, especially since we players like De Ro who can play up front, deep ACM or out wide. How do you prep your players to look afetr him when you don't know where the hell he will be popping up on the pitch?

As i think this season has shown, having a viable plan B is key in this league.

james
10-20-2009, 05:12 PM
we need another solid striker to play with Dero and we need 1 or 2 more good players at defence.

Are mid field is our strongest point. Id be fine to play next season with the current players we got at midfield.

And in order to inprove this team it is crucial we get rid of Garcia :yesnod:. I still remember when we got rid of Velez i said Garcia is 10x worse and we should rather ditch Garcia first and 2 guys on here defended him one guy saying he was gonna be a key defensive player :lol:. If only i could remember who was saying that to me.

TFC07
10-20-2009, 05:13 PM
You know that it isn't end of the world if Winsper ends up leaving. There's plenty of glorified gym teachers out there. lol

For me, it is pretty simple - playoffs or bust. Remember, TFC goal was making it to the playoffs this season. They were all talking about it during preseason. Also this team still has plenty of flaws to be fixed. So I am not optimistic about next year unless Mo fix these flaws during the offseason.

Hitcho
10-20-2009, 05:13 PM
The result in NY doesn't matter, but the effort does. I know there was nothing to play for, but that last game in San Jose last year was just awful. This is a much different team with DeRo, JDG, Cronin, Frei, Serioux...

Dude, I just can't agree on this. I always want to see the team play with passion, commitment and belief, but if it's a choice between A) playing the best game of our season and losing or B) playing like ass weeds and fluking a 1-0 win courtesy of an own goal and NY hitting our woodowrk all game long but making the play offs regardless, then I'd take the play offs.

This team needs to make the post season. We have to break that hoodoo. The longer we keep saying "next year" the worse it will get and the less the players will believe it. We've been gifted a chance at the play offs and we HAVE to take it, regardless of the performance.

Besides, De Ro will be pissed if his run gets broken at his home town club! :D

trane
10-20-2009, 05:14 PM
The result in NY does't matter, but the effort does. I know there was nothing to play for, but that last game in San Jose last year was just awful. This is a much different team with DeRo, JDG, Cronin, Frei, Serioux...

I think that the result does matter, but we still have much to look forward despite we do not make the playoffs.

But I agree, a flat performance like the one at the end of last year, I would be concerned about the mental makeup of the team.

Beach_Red
10-20-2009, 07:55 PM
Dude, I just can't agree on this. I always want to see the team play with passion, commitment and belief, but if it's a choice between A) playing the best game of our season and losing or B) playing like ass weeds and fluking a 1-0 win courtesy of an own goal and NY hitting our woodowrk all game long but making the play offs regardless, then I'd take the play offs.

This team needs to make the post season. We have to break that hoodoo. The longer we keep saying "next year" the worse it will get and the less the players will believe it. We've been gifted a chance at the play offs and we HAVE to take it, regardless of the performance.

Besides, De Ro will be pissed if his run gets broken at his home town club! :D

Yeah, I would prefer the playoffs, too. I just meant that a solid performance in NY but a shitty call, a bad penalty, something that like won't ruin everything.

But like Trane says, a flat game like the last one of last season (or the home opener this year) will be far more serious.

trane
10-20-2009, 07:57 PM
^ That game soured me, and pretty well put the nail in the coffin too Carve in my books.

ArmenJBX
10-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Very off topic but I have a feeling Sutton is going to sign with Vancouver Whitecaps....

jloome
10-20-2009, 08:27 PM
^ But with the right manager, they can play with a 5-4-1 like you suggested or 5-3-2, ussing Felinga, Wynne and Brennan as WB a role to which they seem to be suited for. The right manager to implement the right system seems to be the key.

[ Cronin may be able to play as a WB as well]

Cronin would be a very good wingback, I imagine.

But you need flexibility. You have to have other options, including being able to use the 442 occasionally. We don't have a single first-class winger and need one. Also need a leading centre half and an assassin upfront.

Hitcho
10-20-2009, 08:37 PM
^ Nana's our leading CB. Not seen him put a foot wrong all season. He's tall, strong, good in the air, shows good positional sense, has enough pace to not get caught out, is very, very hard to muscle off the ball and plays a good, simple ball out of trouble. What else an you ask for? He's even a threat at set pieces.

Brennan is a good LM, although I agree he's not a "winger" in the traditional sense. Not seen enough of Fellinga to comment on him fairly - is he a LB or LM? I do think we need a really good right winger though, someone to torment defenders with pace, trickery and a good delivery into the box. Barrett does his best, but he's our Dirk Kuyt rather than our Theo Walcott.

An assassin is always on the list, but realisitically are we going to get one with a DP and several heavyweight players in terms of cap space on the books? Not likely.

TFCtoMUFC
10-20-2009, 08:48 PM

I agree with those starters 100%.

I think Guevara, Robbo, Jimmy B and Barrett are done at TFC.

counterattack
10-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Very solid may be a stretch. The 10 field players you project have little speed and a serious out of position player at right back.
You choose Gerba over Barrett; that's not backed up by how they have performed the last 4 weeks.
While I grant that there doesn't appear to be much room for Guevara in a mid-field with De Ro and JDG, the leadership factor has to be addressed. De Ro has only led by "putting the team on his back and scoring" ; if he isn't scoring, he isn't leading and in fact is counter productive with low percentage shots and inadvised dribbles into multiple defenders.
I think that would stop if you had a very top level coach, but it's not a sure thing.

Cashcleaner
10-20-2009, 10:58 PM
Very off topic but I have a feeling Sutton is going to sign with Vancouver Whitecaps....

Why's that? It wouldn't be that bad of a move on the club's part. He's got experience in the league they are going to be moving to in a couple of years, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Off topic, yes. But an interesting theory.

trane
10-21-2009, 08:14 AM
COunterattack,

I just put it out as a potential starting lineup mostly looking for youth, the future, I would be content with Felinga-Serioux-Attakora-Gomez-Wynne, as a back five, Fe;inga and WYnne playing as wing backs, cronin could be one as well. The point is that we have a tallented group.

As for Gerba I am not sure how he would do, as he has hardly been used. However, I now one thing if he starts enough he will score. He may not run and may not look fit, but he will put himslef in good position and created problems , chances and finish them often enough. Cummins doe snot like him, and I think it is to Cummins detriment I also have seen enough of Barret to know he is no striker.

Shakes McQueen
10-21-2009, 08:30 AM
Cronin would be a very good wingback, I imagine.

But you need flexibility. You have to have other options, including being able to use the 442 occasionally. We don't have a single first-class winger and need one. Also need a leading centre half and an assassin upfront.

In fairness, are there any MLS teams that have all of those things?

I think Mo needs to go and try to fill all three of those holes you mentioned, but my point is just that I think we can still be than competitive with what we've got - as long as Garcia isn't playing, and we get a competent striker (bare minimum).

And maybe with a whole off-season to train, instead of nursing his ACL, OBW will come back next season and be that guy for us.

If Garcia is a starter with us next season, god help us all.

- Scott

ArmenJBX
10-21-2009, 08:34 AM
Why's that? It wouldn't be that bad of a move on the club's part. He's got experience in the league they are going to be moving to in a couple of years, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Off topic, yes. But an interesting theory.

Just a feeling. I can see Sutton in a Whitecaps shirt for some reason. They need Canadians too, and Sutton is a free agent, Canadian international goalkeeper with MLS experience. If it we're me, I wouldn't hesitate for a second and sign him come 2011, or even in this off season.

Oldtimer
10-21-2009, 08:47 AM
If Cummins goes, will Winsper stay? I hope so, but we have to face up to the fact that he might take off with Carver and Cummins both out the door.

Winsper was here before Carver and Cummins. I doubt he'd go, but you never know.

maninb
10-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Garcia at this point is untradeable, and will just be let go....I expect Robba to pack it in, and move back home....IMO we need (1) a Coach (2) a starting EXPERIENCED CB...we've got enough depth at this point to be a decent side next year...In the draft we should be going for a young striker....

Beach_Red
10-21-2009, 09:01 AM
COunterattack,

I just put it out as a potential starting lineup mostly looking for youth, the future, I would be content with Felinga-Serioux-Attakora-Gomez-Wynne, as a back five, Fe;inga and WYnne playing as wing backs, cronin could be one as well. The point is that we have a tallented group.

As for Gerba I am not sure how he would do, as he has hardly been used. However, I now one thing if he starts enough he will score. He may not run and may not look fit, but he will put himslef in good position and created problems , chances and finish them often enough. Cummins doe snot like him, and I think it is to Cummins detriment I also have seen enough of Barret to know he is no striker.

Gerba does seem suited for this league and even for this team. The last few games TFC have dominated the play, at least in the first twenty-thirty minutes, and had chances that you just think Gerba could have put away, make it a whole different game...

nimamalek
10-21-2009, 09:03 AM

actually i think we want both new england and dc to win, that is the only way we beat dallas in a tie breaker is if those other 2 teams are tied as well.

trane
10-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Gerba does seem suited for this league and even for this team. The last few games TFC have dominated the play, at least in the first twenty-thirty minutes, and had chances that you just think Gerba could have put away, make it a whole different game...

I agree. I mean it is speculative both ways, as he has just not seen enough playing time. But I wanted him here, as I was sure, and remain sure he can score consistently in this league. However, we will never know for sure, untill he gets decent minutes, over a strech of games.

jloome
10-21-2009, 10:49 AM
In fairness, are there any MLS teams that have all of those things?

I think Mo needs to go and try to fill all three of those holes you mentioned, but my point is just that I think we can still be than competitive with what we've got - as long as Garcia isn't playing, and we get a competent striker (bare minimum).

And maybe with a whole off-season to train, instead of nursing his ACL, OBW will come back next season and be that guy for us.

If Garcia is a starter with us next season, god help us all.

- Scott

There are multiple MLS teams that have an assassin, a good winger and a leading centre half. Most of them are competing for the league title.

Let's see:
Montero, Zakuani, LeToux, Ljunberg, Montero -- Seattle, check.
Schellotto, Moreno, Rogers, Marshall -- Columbis, Check
Ching, Landin, Davis, Boswell - Houston, check
Razon, Lillingstone, Klejstan, Thomas - Chivas, check.
Chicago.......

I think the point is made. In fact, not having a starring role player in one of these key positions is what separates contenders from also rans.

jloome
10-21-2009, 10:50 AM
^ Nana's our leading CB. Not seen him put a foot wrong all season. He's tall, strong, good in the air, shows good positional sense, has enough pace to not get caught out, is very, very hard to muscle off the ball and plays a good, simple ball out of trouble. What else an you ask for? He's even a threat at set pieces.

Brennan is a good LM, although I agree he's not a "winger" in the traditional sense. Not seen enough of Fellinga to comment on him fairly - is he a LB or LM? I do think we need a really good right winger though, someone to torment defenders with pace, trickery and a good delivery into the box. Barrett does his best, but he's our Dirk Kuyt rather than our Theo Walcott.

An assassin is always on the list, but realisitically are we going to get one with a DP and several heavyweight players in terms of cap space on the books? Not likely.

Then explain why most of the contending teams in the league have managed it.

Candu_88
10-21-2009, 11:28 AM
Assassin, winger and leading centre half is good analysis of TFC squad imbalance.

OBW and Gerba will improve with a full pre-season fitness work but neither have the size and speed to be lone strikers or the speed and dribbling threats to be advanced strikers. Both need to be paired up with an advanced striker to be fully effective. I prefer OBW because I'm already seeing clear evidence of improvement.

We definitely need a bigger, younger, faster better version of Garcia to command the back when playing with two central defenders.

The one frustrating thing with TFC over the first three years is the lack of true skilled speedy winger or wide forward in (4-3-3) that can consistently cross and create space in front of the net by drawing defenders out wide to deal with his threats and can also score.

If TFC wants to be able to play 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 we also need to improve the depth and defensive skills at both of the full back positions as well. These are the most critical positions in a successful 4-4-2 in modern football.

MO or his replacement still has a lot of work to do and even if some but not all of these issues are addressed TFC will be a major MLS threat next season.

Hitcho
10-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Then explain why most of the contending teams in the league have managed it.

They've managed it by having their DP and/or heavyweigth players occupying those positions. Ours are all basically in central midfield. So to add the list of players you set out on top of those central DP/heavyweight cap players isn't feasible to me, for the simple reason we'd run out of cap space. Unless we get rid of Amado and Robbo I suppose, and use their slots for the assasin and winger. But my point is, you can't have it all in this league, and adding a leading CB, assasin and top winger on top of what we already have just isn't feasible, not that it can't be done full stop.

Hitcho
10-21-2009, 11:38 AM
Garcia at this point is untradeable, and will just be let go....I expect Robba to pack it in, and move back home....IMO we need (1) a Coach (2) a starting EXPERIENCED CB...we've got enough depth at this point to be a decent side next year...In the draft we should be going for a young striker....

Agree re coach, but do we really need an expensive CB to add more weight to the cap hit? In Nana we have one of the best CBs in the league in my opinion, regardless of his age, and he will hopefully improve year on year now. Serioux is totally adequate and plays CB for Canada. Gomez has potential and is good cover for Nana and Serioux and will hopefully develop into a starting level player by the end of next season.

I really think we should be looking to add the bigger name players up front or on the wing. Unless the cap saoce is increased dramatically and we suddenly fit all these guys in.

Just my opinion though.

brad
10-21-2009, 11:58 AM
I'm optimistic too.
Just wondering, does JDG have to be protected for the draft or do DP's have some bubble that doesn't allow them to be drafted?

I don't think so. Looking at the list of protected players from last year - Beckham, Angel, ect are were protected.

Now, I wonder if JDG has a clause in his contract binding him to TFC.

Beach_Red
10-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Assassin, winger and leading centre half is good analysis of TFC squad imbalance.

OBW and Gerba will improve with a full pre-season fitness work but neither have the size and speed to be lone strikers or the speed and dribbling threats to be advanced strikers. Both need to be paired up with an advanced striker to be fully effective. I prefer OBW because I'm already seeing clear evidence of improvement.

We definitely need a bigger, younger, faster better version of Garcia to command the back when playing with two central defenders.

The one frustrating thing with TFC over the first three years is the lack of true skilled speedy winger or wide forward in (4-3-3) that can consistently cross and create space in front of the net by drawing defenders out wide to deal with his threats and can also score.

If TFC wants to be able to play 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 we also need to improve the depth and defensive skills at both of the full back positions as well. These are the most critical positions in a successful 4-4-2 in modern football.

MO or his replacement still has a lot of work to do and even if some but not all of these issues are addressed TFC will be a major MLS threat next season.

It's still annoying that Laurent Robert didn't work out. He started pretty strong.

TheRenter
10-25-2009, 03:52 PM
:scarf::flare::drum:<3:canada:

see yah in '10

Chevy
10-25-2009, 03:58 PM
It's still annoying that Laurent Robert didn't work out. He started pretty strong.

He's a free agent again. From his Wiki:

Laurent Robert (born 21 May 1975 in Saint-Benoît, Réunion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Beno%C3%AEt,_R%C3%A9union)) is a French (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France) left winger who is a free agent after leaving Larissa.

Second chance? :facepalm:

TFC USA
10-25-2009, 04:16 PM
No more European league retreads. PLEASE

SoccMan
10-25-2009, 05:17 PM
SERIOUX NEEDS TO GO HE PROVED IT LAST NIGHT! hE IS TERRIBLE!

rocker
10-25-2009, 05:23 PM

the loss that still annoys me is Oliver Tebily. I liked his ability in the limited action he had. He would have really solidified the defence.