PDA

View Full Version : Are we actually gonna be able to see Sat's finale?

Oldtimer
10-20-2009, 08:20 AM
from U-Sector's site:

Okay,

So, after all the head scratching one thing is clear: TFC's play-off destiny WILL NOT BE KNOWN AFTER THEIR GAME CONCLUDES AT 9:30pm.

What are the chances that we'll actually get to see the end of the MLS season play out on television?

MLSE now controls a digital specialty channel dedicated to soccer. If they want to be taken seriously they need to be on top of this story. I understand that TFC doesn't run GolTV per se. I understand that rights deals are complicated. I understand that ratings are largely abysmal right now. But this is an investment in the future of TFC AND the league they play in. TV ratings are never going to improve until Canadian soccer fans start to become fans of the league and follow it just like they'd follow a foreign league. Saturday night presents an unprecedented opportunity to start building that audience. Optimally they'd already be running the promos (and sending out emails) NOW!

In a perfect world I'd like to see an in-studio team monitoring each outside market game and switching to them when moments of interest happen. There'd be particular interest in the the Rapids game and coverage would default back to the Dallas game if nothing else is going on. As results change there'd be continuous updating of the standings, analysis of the tiebreak situation, and charts of the potential play-off match-ups. And if things aren't completely clear they'd be showing the Revolution game on Sunday too!

Impossible? Almost certainly. That's not going to stop me from asking though. We've been pretty spoiled with TFC coverage since the team started but now it's time for MLSE/GolTV to really step up. Don't keep pushing your core audience to grey market internet sites! I'd even consider buying DirectKick for this if I had any confidence that my internet wouldn't explode at the critical moment; this should really be something PUSHED into people's houses though and not something they have to go looking for.

Now it will be on MLSNET.COM, but he has a point.

ArmenJBX
10-20-2009, 08:24 AM
I swear it was on GolTV!?!??!?

Eastend
10-20-2009, 08:26 AM
Very good points and I would love for this to happen.....say like when it's the NHL trade deadline or when the playoffs loome and the Leafs need every point....

(Go ahead and burn me for the comparison but you can't argue against it.)

werewolf
10-20-2009, 08:29 AM
http://myp2p.eu/competition.php?&competitionid=14&part=sports&discipline=football&allowedDays=7

The answer to your problems.

Though I understand it would be easier for the average fan to have on a mainstream TV station.

Afra
10-20-2009, 08:37 AM
The TFC site says goltv and dk. I checked the listing for goltv but they do not have the schedule up for saturday yet. It would suck if it is not on tv - there are about 3 different gatherings at pubs being planned around the city for viewings.

ArmenJBX
10-20-2009, 08:41 AM
I read it again and I think it means we won't be able to see the other games. We should be just fine with the TFC game, but we won't be able to watch the other games on television so we have to rely on the interwebs. I don't know though, it says on GolTV.ca that it's on at 7:30 on saturday.

One way or another, we'll figure it out.

Macksam
10-20-2009, 08:41 AM
Why isn't this game going to be on Sportsnet?

Parkdale
10-20-2009, 08:45 AM
calling Sulfur and Domin8r.....

ManUtd4ever
10-20-2009, 08:47 AM
Actually, the GolTV broadcasts are better than Sportsnet...you can order GolTV for gameday and then cancel it if you want and it will amount to pocket change...

ArmenJBX
10-20-2009, 08:48 AM
I got GolTV free for the year, won it as a prize at the Madrid game...

Still haven't gotten the cheque though...........ML$E needs the 30 bux I guess! :D

Parkdale
10-20-2009, 08:48 AM
for those of you that came to Joe's after the game on saturday...

you know we've got a 'way' to get the games shown. It's a 'way' we're not supposed to talk about.... but it works.

Nuvinho
10-20-2009, 08:49 AM
I asked someone at GolTV and they were working on trying to get the 10:30pm Seattle game. They also told me that if they couldn't get it, that the game will be on the Seattle station if you had the digitial timeshifting package (on Bell its channel 820).

Parkdale
10-20-2009, 08:50 AM
MLSNET.COM

direct kick :thumbsup:

mastermixer
10-20-2009, 08:52 AM
I think the poster on U-sector wants the other games (Dallas, Colorado) to be played on TV as well. I'm pretty sure the TFC game is on GolTV.

Parkdale
10-20-2009, 08:53 AM
I think the poster on U-sector wants the other games (Dallas, Colorado) to be played on TV as well.

again, for the people that were at Joe's last week.... :cool: shhhhhhh!

ArmenJBX
10-20-2009, 08:55 AM
for those of you that came to Joe's after the game on saturday...

you know we've got a 'way' to get the games shown. It's a 'way' we're not supposed to talk about.... but it works.

Parkdale, you sly sly dog you! :D

sulfur
10-20-2009, 09:03 AM
FYI:

GolTV has the TFC game. Don't stress.

The Colorado game is the ESPN/FSC game, so will _NOT_ be on the MLS Matchcenter thing.

All of the other games will be.

Schedule:

7:30 TFC vs NYRB
9:00 Colorado vs RSL
10:30 Dallas vs Seattle

We'll find ways to show the games. Have no fear.

Parkdale
10-20-2009, 09:10 AM

thanks Sulfur!!!

ps.

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper877/stills/63q5r9sj.jpg

DOMIN8R
10-20-2009, 02:26 PM
UFC® 104 MACHIDA v SHOGUN - Oct-24-2009 10PM
http://media.ufc.tv/i.cfc?method=get&s=F6853B90-1422-0E8C-9AB338821B999498.jpg&rs=30&q=100&x=14&y=12&w=90&h=120&ro=0 (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/index.cfm?fa=EventDetail.FightCard&eid=2324)L. Machidahttp://media.ufc.tv/i.cfc?method=get&s=D9252CCE-1422-0E8C-9A5676596C7838E0.jpg&rs=25&q=100&x=4&y=7&w=90&h=120&ro=0 (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/index.cfm?fa=EventDetail.FightCard&eid=2324)M. Rua

BFin
10-20-2009, 02:36 PM
So, we need to talk to Joe ASAP to get the UFC vs TFC bit sorted.

Nodoubtguy
10-20-2009, 02:45 PM
TFC is at 7:30, UFC is at 10.....I don't see the issue

What we are up against is the Leafs

DOMIN8R
10-20-2009, 02:51 PM
TFC is at 7:30, UFC is at 10.....I don't see the issue

What we are up against is the Leafs

As the title of my post states - if you wish to see the Dallas game, after the TFC game, at Joe's you will have to share the place with the UFC crowd that goes there for events.

Have you ever been there when they have a UFC fight event?

More than few shouting matches break out between footie fans and UFC fans.

Nodoubtguy
10-20-2009, 03:28 PM
As the title of my post states - if you wish to see the Dallas game, after the TFC game, at Joe's you will have to share the place with the UFC crowd that goes there for events.

Have you ever been there when they have a UFC fight event?

More than few shouting matches break out between footie fans and UFC fans.

I was responding to Bfin's post that states TFC vs UFC.....

but yeah, I was there for a TFC/UFC matchup......think it was LA last year if I'm not mistaken

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-20-2009, 03:34 PM
FYI:

GolTV has the TFC game. Don't stress.

The Colorado game is the ESPN/FSC game, so will _NOT_ be on the MLS Matchcenter thing.

All of the other games will be.

Schedule:

7:30 TFC vs NYRB
9:00 Colorado vs RSL
10:30 Dallas vs Seattle

add sunday Columbus vs New England......GOL tv time 5pm

squizz
10-22-2009, 12:39 PM
I've been told that GOLtv will be showing the late MLS matches (at least one of them) after Toronto's game on Saturday. So anyone who is able to watch the TFC game should be able to see the late games on the same screen.

Gobi
10-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Everyone's going to be at Joe's this Saturday, right?
Just like old times?

Parkdale
10-22-2009, 12:51 PM
maybe not exactly like old times (unless we sneak into lamport for a pickup game)

MUFC_Niagara
10-22-2009, 12:53 PM
The Drummond Inn in Niagara Falls will have ALL games shown with no UFC fans in sight. FYI.

tlear
10-22-2009, 01:48 PM
I dont think this UFC even will have the place 100% packed, it should be possible to get couple TVs switched to whatever game they will be showing after TFC on Goltv. If it was GSP fighting then it would be a different story

anto7
10-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Just realised the game is on Gol TV and we do not get it on Cogeco here in Belleville.
Does anyone know of any pubs in the Oshawa, Pickering, Whitby regions that will be showing the game?. Or if you know of anywhere closer to Belleville.
Thanks

Wagner
10-23-2009, 02:22 PM
We should respect that UFC is a big draw for Joe.
and he does a lot for us...(year end party, door to patio)

Don't get me wrong, he's not losing money dealing with us, but we don't want to get on the wrong side of the guy that took a chance on us at the "infancy" of our group.

Parkdale
10-23-2009, 02:25 PM
totally wagner.

asking Joe to turn away money isn't a good option. Our game should be done in time, and if it goes into overtime, then they miss one undercard. No Biggie.

flatpicker
10-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Will people be watching the game at any other Toronto locations?
Like Scally's or something?

Seen
10-23-2009, 03:19 PM
We have made arrangements for the match to be shown at C’est What on Front St. Since it has by far the best craft beer selection in town, it’s a match made in heaven!

mlsintoronto
10-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Apologies for the long post - here's some of the planning for Gol this weekend.
It is just a cut and paste job - its actually an internal document. You'll see we'll be staying close to the story...go buy GolTV!

GOLTV Weekend Production Plan

With Toronto FC’s post-season aspirations riding on this weekend’s MLS action, we will move into playoff production mode beginning Saturday and Sunday. Please read carefully as there are many scenarios:

Saturday
Toronto FC Pre-Game Show

7 p.m. (First three segments pre-taped at 6 p.m., fourth segment LIVE)
Producer: Gladman
Talent: Wileman, De Vos, Petrillo, Godfrey, Virk
Toronto APs: Fournier, McWade
Script AD: Sio

Notes

Adnan hosts hits from the production pit that set up the scenarios required for TFC to make the playoffs; establishes that we will be monitoring the Colorado match in progress (score only; no video highlights). Laptop required on-set.

Toronto FC at New York. GOLTV

LIVE: 7:30 p.m.
Director: Gris
Talent: Wileman, De Vos
New York AD: Virgin
Script AD: Sio

Notes

Half-time show features a live hit from Adnan as well.

Toronto FC Extra Time
LIVE, following game and :10 ID. Runs until 10:30 p.m.
Director: Gris
Talent: Petrillo, Godfrey, Virk, De Vos
New York AD: Virgin

Notes

Reaction/highlights from New York game.

Game in Six
Updates from Colorado at Salt Lake game and impact on TFC playoff push.
Preview of Dallas at Seattle game (10:30 p.m. GOLTV) and its implications for TFC’s playoff hopes.
Preview of New England at Columbus game (6 p.m. Sunday, GOLTV).

Features
Boxes from 307 to New York and Salt Lake.

Dallas at Seattle. GOLTV

10:30 p.m. LIVE
KONG TV, Seattle
Notes

Update final score of Colorado-Salt Lake with LIVE boxes during game

Half-Time, Dallas Seattle

LIVE Approx. 11:20 p.m.
Producer: Wallace
Talent: Godfrey, Petrillo

Notes

Update score of Colorado-Salt Lake, Toronto FC playoff position. How Dallas-Seattle affects the outcome.

Full-Time, Dallas-Seattle
LIVE Approx. 12:20 p.m.
Producer: Scott Wallace
Talent: Godfrey, Petrillo, Virk

Notes

About 15 to 30 mins. Recap the night and promote Sunday’s special edition of Toronto FC Today (5:30 p.m. ET).

Sunday

Toronto FC Today
Producers: McWade, Hughes
Talent: Godfrey, Petrillo
OPS: 2 ENG Cameras, 3 P2 cards
Premieres: 5:30 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 25

Notes

Lee, Andi, Chris and Dan meet the team on their return. Chris returns to 307 ASAP with player/coach interviews. Dan stays to shoot links.
If TFC are in the playoffs, the show will celebrate the fact and look ahead to the first playoff match and possible opponents.
If TFC’s fate is to be determined by the 5 p.m. New England-Columbus match, the show will preview that game as well.
Have spoken to Claudio. He will be with the team as they watch the Colorado-Salt Lake/Dallas-Seattle games. We’ll have coach/player reaction from that.

New England at Columbus. GOLTV
6 p.m.
Claudio is with TFC coaches as they watch the game that will determine TFC’s playoff fate. Claudio sends clips to 307 for Breaking News.

Breaking News
Post-7 p.m.
Producer: McWade
Talent: Godfrey

Notes
If TFC makes the playoffs as a result of the New England/Columbus match, Lee hosts the 1:00 or 2:00 Breaking News with highlights from New England-Columbus, Toronto-New York as well as coach/player reaction to the New England result (sent by Claudio).

TFC Cityboy
10-23-2009, 03:29 PM
thanks, Paul...it could be a long night! Having GOL TV in the "family" is certainly helpful!

DOMIN8R
10-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Perfect. One stop shop.

ensco
10-23-2009, 03:31 PM
^Nice.

Friendly reminder for the GolTV guys..in the heat of the moment, don't forget DCU-KC updates.....

olegunnar
10-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Isn't it cute that King Tv (NBC's Seattle affiliate) named their secondary station Kong tv?

loconet
10-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Thank you for the info Paul. Much appreciated. Some interviews with the RPBs in attendance at the NYRB game would also add good 'meat' to the coverage ..hehe. :drinking:

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
10-23-2009, 03:56 PM
gona be a fun night............. after we in in NEW YORK! :)