PDA

View Full Version : Huge Moments in TFC History

Hitcho
10-19-2009, 12:20 PM
I think the Dichio banner has to go into the list. Chronologically, I would put it like this:

1. Dichio goal at 23:13
2. Seat cushions at 23:15
3. Dichio goal vs NER to close 2007
4. 2007 pitch invasion
5. 2,000 + attendance in Columbus to open 2008
6. De Ro signs
7. Miracle in Montreal / First Trophy / Homecoming
8. Dichio Retirement presser
9. JDG signs
10. Dichio Banner

[11. Making the play offs for the first time in 2009? :D]

These kind of lists are always subjective, and there's stuff like Jimmy B's free kick which maybe should go in there, but in tems of importance, how memorable they were and the pure, emotional impact, that'd be my list to date.

Anyone disgaree?

Sab0tage
10-19-2009, 12:32 PM
I would put Montreal higher on the list, but that's just me.

TFC Tifoso
10-19-2009, 12:33 PM
I would put Montreal higher on the list, but that's just me.

its chronological.....

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
10-19-2009, 12:35 PM
11. Brennan Keeps TFC hopes ALIVE! :)

12.to be continued......

Sab0tage
10-19-2009, 12:36 PM
its chronological..... Haha, good point. Didn't really notice that. :facepalm:

Lucky Strike
10-19-2009, 12:39 PM
I think the Dichio banner has to go into the list. Chronologically, I would put it like this:

4. 2007 pitch invasion
6. De Ro signs
9. JDG signs
10. Dichio Banner

These kind of lists are always subjective, and there's stuff like Jimmy B's free kick which maybe should go in there, but in tems of importance, how memorable they were and the pure, emotional impact, that'd be my list to date.

Anyone disgaree?

It'd be hard to. I suppose you can add first match in history and first win in history. But every team has one of the former while the latter I think is covered by Dichio 23:13.

BC101
10-19-2009, 12:41 PM

4. 2007 pitch invasion
6. De Ro signs
9. JDG signs
10. Dichio Banner

Anyone disgaree?
That was big time for us i felt. Something not likely to ever happen again. I remember one of those MLS guys uh the 'suit there it is" guy hearing him interact with one of the security guys "Their running onto the field " he replied with "Who cares let them!" and joined in the fun. GOOD TIMESSSSSSSSSSSS.

Suds
10-19-2009, 12:54 PM
That was big time for us i felt. Something not likely to ever happen again. I remember one of those MLS guys uh the 'suit there it is" guy hearing him interact with one of the security guys "Their running onto the field " he replied with "Who cares let them!" and joined in the fun. GOOD TIMESSSSSSSSSSSS.

Yeah, the pitch invasion was so spontaneous. You could sense everyone wanted to go and all it took was one person to make the jump.

Sure the team played like crap, but the fans didn't care. Football had finally come to Toronto. It was here to stay and the fans needed to celebrate that.

olegunnar
10-19-2009, 12:59 PM

I remember when the first few ran out, everyone seemed to pause to see how long it would take for the yellow coats to go tackle them. When it didnt' happen there was a , cool lets go then, moment and the pitch invasion was on.

Hitcho
10-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Yep, the Dichio goal and the sensational nature of it, plus the fact it tied the game for us at the death and it was scored by the Legend, all just contributed to the moment. If we'd lost that game 2-0 and not made the comeback, then the pitch invasion wouldn't have had quite the same exuberance to it.

jabbronies
10-19-2009, 01:02 PM
- I think in a couple of years down the road if things work out weel, MLS draft 2009 will go up there. We picked up 3 starters in the first round. Not sure if it's worth it now, but we'll see.

- Grass being approved could be up there.

- If "Huge" doesn't mean positive - add Carver leaving the team.
- Edu Sale?

TFC Tifoso
10-19-2009, 01:07 PM
- I think in a couple of years down the road if things work out weel, MLS draft 2009 will go up there. We picked up 3 starters in the first round. Not sure if it's worth it now, but we'll see.

- Grass being approved could be up there.

- If "Huge" doesn't mean positive - add Carver leaving the team.
- Edu Sale?

I don't think The Quitter would qualify.......I always though he was rated higher than he should be by the supporters...

Edu sale was big.........selling our first draft pick ever to a big team overseas is definitely worth noting.....

Hitcho
10-19-2009, 01:10 PM
All interesting points jabbronies, especially drafting Cronin and Frei (OBW still to impress me to the same elvel, not to say he won't though).

I tend to view grass as natural evolution of the club, something that had to happen. Everyone was pleased about it but no-one (not even English Rachel) shed tears of joy or relief.

Carver elaving would have been huge if he'd brought major success to us and then walked out unexpectedly (a al Dalglish at Liverpool). As it is, we'll never know if he would have gone on to become a big deal.

Selling Edu was disappointing at the time, but he wasn't having a great season and he hadn't been adopted by the fans the way the likes of Danny, Jimmy and Robbo had been. The money was big of course, but until the grass came that was just swallowed by MLSE. Put it this way - it's not somethign I'll likely tell my kids about in 10 years, whereas the pitch invasion, first goal, first DP etc probably are.

Parkdale
10-19-2009, 01:13 PM
in a much lesser scale, there are a few moments that are incredibly special in my memory that aren't really 'big events' for the club.

these include:

- that first away game viewing at the E&C on King street.
- my first road trip (Boston on the usector bus in '07)
- Carolina Challenge Cup (and all the great memories)
- our sign song session at the Rhino when usector introduced us to the massive
- that first game in Montreal where I came up with Tic Tac Tabernack and it caught on

I guess my point is that we all have some extra special experiences that aren't shared by everyone. That's what keeps me around, more than the big events.

BC101
10-19-2009, 01:15 PM
in a much lesser scale, there are a few moments that are incredibly special in my memory that aren't really 'big events' for the club.

these include:

- that first away game viewing at the E&C on King street.
- my first road trip (Boston on the usector bus in '07)
- Carolina Challenge Cup (and all the great memories)
- our sign song session at the Rhino when usector introduced us to the massive
- that first game in Montreal where I came up with Tic Tac Tabernack and it caught on

I guess my point is that we all have some extra special experiences that aren't shared by everyone. That's what keeps me around, more than the big events.
Is that when you had the Mini Canada flags out? I remember seeing this on TV...

werewolf
10-19-2009, 01:18 PM
you forgot Dichio with the greatest celebrations of all time. Picking up the corner flag, and even better, grabbing the crest and kicking the corner flag.

That is probably why he was forced into retirement, huge breach of club policy getting that close to the supporters. :rolleyes:

Parkdale
10-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Is that when you had the Mini Canada flags out? I remember seeing this on TV...

yep. I went to the dollar store and bought $40 worth of Canadian flags (which was like 36 flags plus tax)

it was a very impromptu tifo, but when I got back and saw the photo of us on the cover of Metro and 24Hours (the two freebie newspapers at the time) I knew right then that it was one of the best $40 I'd ever spent.

BC101
10-19-2009, 01:23 PM
yep. I went to the dollar store and bought $40 worth of Canadian flags (which was like 36 flags plus tax)

it was a very impromptu tifo, but when I got back and saw the photo of us on the cover of Metro and 24Hours (the two freebie newspapers at the time) I knew right then that it was one of the best $40 I'd ever spent.
yeah for whatever reason that moment still stands out in my mind today as a reason as why i got as involved with the club as i did that year and the following year. That was cool beans... It seems so simple an act but yet i dunno just stands out.

Oldtimer
10-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Even though streamers are now passe, the time Blanco got burried in them in 2007 was quite funny.

The double-decker busses for the LA game in 2007 was one of my top supporters' moments.

boban
10-19-2009, 02:44 PM

4. 2007 pitch invasion
6. De Ro signs
9. JDG signs
10. Dichio Banner

Anyone disgaree?
I would put the first game as #1. That is historical.
Can't have the other things happen without the first game being played.

Hitcho
10-19-2009, 02:48 PM
Boban - agreed, but there wasn't much that was memorable about that game. It wasn't even considered the official opening of the stadium (hence the seat cushions were on hand for Danny's goal the following week). Practical requirements for a club to exist I left off, like building the stadium, signing our first roster of players (including Danny, Jimmy, Robbo, etc) because it was a required formality. First game was important for sure, but a huge, emotionallly memorable moment in the club's history? Not compared to the other things on the list. At least, that's how I view it.

EDIT - that said, I'm sure stepping foot in BMO Field for the first time on game day will be pretty high up on a lot of people's personal lists, it is on mine, that was a big rush. So in that sense, yeah, first game should be there I suppose.

Whoop
10-19-2009, 02:50 PM
^^
The "Just Give us a Goal" chant and the beer shower that Eddie Johnson got were pretty cool moments too.

I mean throwing beer on the pitch isn't cool per se but the fact that it happened did demonstrate a sort of passion and a bit of a statement that you're not going to run roughshod on our home.

AL-MO
10-19-2009, 02:54 PM
^^
The "Just Give us a Goal" chant and the beer shower that Eddie Johnson got were pretty cool moments too.

I mean throwing beer on the pitch isn't cool per se but the fact that it happened did demonstrate a sort of passion and a bit of a statement that you're not going to run roughshod on our home.

I thought it was even better when I found out the linesman told him not to go over there...right before he got showered!

Cashcleaner
10-19-2009, 11:16 PM
You really want to know what was the biggest moment in TFC history? Our first game. Don't you guys remember it? A lot of the very first RPBers were standing at the Elephant and Castle downtown to watch it and the place was just packed with supporters. The whole night was wild and probably sticks out in my mind the most.

Whoop
10-19-2009, 11:32 PM
You really want to know what was the biggest moment in TFC history? Our first game. Don't you guys remember it? A lot of the very first RPBers were standing at the Elephant and Castle downtown to watch it and the place was just packed with supporters. The whole night was wild and probably sticks out in my mind the most.

That night was awesome despite the score.

I just remember looking around and thinking, "Yeah, I think this might be huge."

Oldtimer
10-20-2009, 07:48 AM
^^

He asked for it.

In the EPL or the CCC, one would get a ban for doing what he did.
If he tried it at Millwall, he'd be lucky to get out alive.

trane
10-20-2009, 07:55 AM
Every time I get disillusioned with evreything TFC, I think of the first moment stepping into the stadium on a cold grey day, singingin the anthem and hereing the south end sing. It felt like I had found a footy home. The second home game and the first goal, and seeing Dichio playing like the hard man that he is, cemented that. I have been disilusioned at times, in the stands and on the pitch but every time I think of these moments, it brings me back.

Lucky Strike
10-20-2009, 08:09 AM
You know what else was huge? That awesome Claudio Reyna sign with the 8-ball. Seeing that ranks up there as one of my favourite sporting moments.

Section 117
10-20-2009, 08:19 AM
For me the first moment that struck a cord was singing of the national anthem.

Thinking about it still gives me goose bumps and our first goal/celebration

ManUtd4ever
10-20-2009, 09:13 AM
If TFC makes the playoffs, this would be my list of favorite TFC memories on the pitch to this point...

1. Dichio 23:13
2. Miracle in Montreal
3. Victory in NY securing first ever playoff berth
4. 4-0 victory over Dallas on Canada Day 2007
5. Cunningham's late game winning goal in LA 2008

Globetrotter
10-20-2009, 09:24 AM
hosting the All Star game?

Parkdale
10-20-2009, 09:34 AM

I crashed the party and ended up about 10 feet away from David Beckham.
It doesn't mean much to me, but I'm sure my girlfriend had bragging rights
with her girlfriends for a few days after that.

jabbronies
10-20-2009, 09:48 AM
If TFC makes the playoffs, this would be my list of favorite TFC memories on the pitch to this point...

2. Miracle in Montreal

Urrrgggg...You just ruined this thread.....:rolleyes:

jabbronies
10-20-2009, 09:51 AM
Oh shit!!! The NY Red Bulls Night game from season 1. The one when the fog rolled in and there was a scrap in the Hall way between NY and TFC.

We were a fucking hostile crowd that night...it was great!

ManUtd4ever
10-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Urrrgggg...You just ruined this thread.....:rolleyes:

I hate him now too, but that was a huge upset at the time on the road against Becks and the marquee team of MLS in their own yard...

akoto
10-20-2009, 11:08 AM
In season 1 we played a thursday night game in the rain against Houston. Still one of my best TFC memories. The fog, the rain, 19,000+ hardcore singing fans and an Andy Welsh game winning goal off a set piece. I will never forget it.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-20-2009, 11:21 AM

1. First ever league match @ Chivas USA 2007
2. Dichios first goal and seat cushions
3. Canadian championship win in Montreal
4. First club INT friendly and the one that followed
5. Grass coming to BMO
6. Club getteing Stepan Frei, JDG,
7. First appearence in the CCL
8. Dichio Banner vs Real Salt Lake 2009
9> 2007 mass pitch invasion..lets hope we can do it this year!
10> Club signing MoJo!!

Darlofletch
10-20-2009, 11:35 AM

That was great just for the venemous fuck you spirit of the spontaneous anthem after the "miscommunication" of the anthem plan.

and also, depsite their not being a team to really cheer for, the atmosphere by the end of the game was fantastic, just because there was a good game between two quality teams being played. Really showed the bmo crowd as knowledgeable as well as passionate.

In season 1 we played a thursday night game in the rain against Houston. Still one of my best TFC memories. The fog, the rain, 19,000+ hardcore singing fans and an Andy Welsh game winning goal off a set piece. I will never forget it.

I had been on holiday for the first couple of games, so that was the first home game i saw on tv. Surprised the fuck out of me that it sounded like a proper football crowd, not just another north american sports crowd, really made me regret deciding not to bother buying season tickets.

Hitcho
10-20-2009, 12:20 PM
really made me regret deciding not to bother buying season tickets.

Oh ye of little faith... :D:D:D

rocker
10-20-2009, 12:27 PM
the all star game was definitely a memorable moment for me. it was the highest quality match i've witnessed at BMO. It made me a dream a bit.... about a time in 20 years when MLS might get to that kind of quality every game. It was a funny sight tho -- the MLS team had all different shapes and sizes, but great quality. The West Ham players were all tall and big and played a very coherent style.

I also loved it when the whole stadium called out for Jimmy B to be subbed in.

Whoop
10-20-2009, 12:30 PM

2. Miracle in Montreal

That was one of my favourite Shoeless Joe moments of '08. I remember it was a rare Sunday afternoon game.

Oh shit!!! The NY Red Bulls Night game from season 1. The one when the fog rolled in and there was a scrap in the Hall way between NY and TFC.

We were a fucking hostile crowd that night...it was great!

Those two are also up there. Kind of cemented the fact that a) night games are awesome and b) TFC does well in shit weather games, especially at home.

olegunnar
10-20-2009, 12:32 PM

2. Miracle in Montreal

Dallas was Father's day not Canada Day

Technorgasm
10-20-2009, 12:32 PM
Shotgun Express