PDA

View Full Version : Trade Sam Cronin for Will Johnson

Shway
10-19-2009, 01:37 AM
Off season soon, I could be jumping the gun, if TFC could get Will Johnson would be a good addition, and trading Sam Cronny for him could be quiet feasible. I would assume they get paid around the same amount, and to bring him home would be great.

Dunkers
10-19-2009, 01:54 AM
Wow Cronin does make more then Johnson, but if Cronin is protected by Gen Adidias, then id rather have Cronin, with the minimal cap hit

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/september_15_2009_salary_information__by_club.pdf

Ossington Mental Youth
10-19-2009, 04:09 AM
no thanks, will johnson is fine but honestly id like Cronin

MUFC_Niagara
10-19-2009, 05:48 AM
Ya, I really like the up side Cronin has.

TFCtoMUFC
10-19-2009, 06:29 AM
I'd hang on to Cronin. If were going to trade someone then trade anyone who did not play on Saturday (with the exception of Chad Barrett and Frei shouldn't be traded), that group of guys on the pitch Saturday was a great line up. Cummins dont blow it with Garcia in NY.

Mikey
10-19-2009, 06:46 AM
Trade Garcia for a wheelbarrow, they might need one to carry the grass onto the pitch.

ensco
10-19-2009, 06:47 AM
A trade thread? Today?

Hitcho
10-19-2009, 07:46 AM
Trade Garcia for a wheelbarrow, they might need one to carry the grass onto the pitch.

:rofl:

Manutd27
10-19-2009, 07:53 AM
I can't believe we pay Garcia $190,000!?!?!? WTF!?!?!? How is Wynne on $34 and Garcia on that...! I know I may get slated for this but in no way is JDG worth that much money in comparison to Dero's salary.....

Ageroo
10-19-2009, 07:57 AM
Off season soon, I could be jumping the gun, if TFC could get Will Johnson would be a good addition, and trading Sam Cronny for him could be quiet feasible. I would assume they get paid around the same amount, and to bring him home would be great.

As I am a homer I would love to get Will Johnson....but prying him away from RSL would take a lot.....as for trading Cronin to acquire his services....it might work, as RSL would be getting a domestic and we would as well.....But not the right time.

I can see down the line Will wanting to come hear as he is a Toronto boy and it would make sense with all the CMNT guys here. Who knows.....him coming here may happen sooner rather than later.

Manutd27
10-19-2009, 08:07 AM
I think Will Johnson would be a good addition but I'm not sure I would part with Cronin to do it...he will take over Robinson's role and hopefully JDG will take on a bit more of an attacking/box2box role.

Ageroo
10-19-2009, 08:10 AM
I think Will Johnson would be a good addition but I'm not sure I would part with Cronin to do it...he will take over Robinson's role and hopefully JDG will take on a bit more of an attacking/box2box role.

It really all depends on what the roster will look like next season.......If Amado and Carl are not on the roster...I would love to have Cronin in there and even try to trade for Will Johnson to slot him on the wing. I am sure Mo has all the Canadians playing in the MLS on his radar...Trader Mo is always trying to work his magic.....

Manutd27
10-19-2009, 08:15 AM
With the Amado in the World Cup next summer we will need cover in Mid, maybe we can trade Barrett for Johnson

SoccMan
10-19-2009, 08:56 AM
For those of you who would like to bring Will Johnson here because he is Canadian yes he was born here in Toronto,however, when he was I think less than a year old he moved to England and stayed there until age 10, at age ten his American parents and Will moved to the Chicago area and that is where he stayed until he became a pro soccer player. Therefore, he is more American than Canadian having spent less than a year of his life in Canada, not much more Canadian than our friend Sam Cronin. Anyways, I think Cronin is a better player, what this team needs is people that can put the ball in the back of the net on a regular basis, Mr. Will Johnson is not the missing piece of the puzzle for this team, let us not waste our time on this player.

rocktml
10-19-2009, 08:59 AM
No more useless Canadians please :S

prizby
10-19-2009, 09:14 AM
With the Amado in the World Cup next summer we will need cover in Mid, maybe we can trade Barrett for Johnson

mls goes on break til knockout rounds...your assuming honduras can make it past the knockout rounds LOOOOOOL

felipe
10-19-2009, 09:14 AM
actually this deal makes a lot of sense

Will Johnson is an awesome player, I'd love to have him here, and he plays exactly where we need some help.

Of course Cronin is great too, and I'd hate to see him leave; but realistically we do seem to have adequate cover in his preferred position in JDG.

Hopefully Mo would be able to foist Wynne and Garcia on RSL for Will instead (not likely I know) but Mo seems to have a knack for fleecing people.

But yeah, Johnson for Cronin makes a lot of sense and would help both teams IMO.

Dub Narcotic
10-19-2009, 09:29 AM
Aren't they the same player? Johnson seems to score a bit more but they are very similar to me.

Manutd #1
10-19-2009, 09:33 AM
I dunno if Johnson is the answer but next year we need a probably 2 new defenders(Garcia OUT) and at least 2 players who are natural wingers which we have ZERO. I think with wingers on our team our strikers would be alot better and not have to do all the work alone up front. All teams need to do know is overload the box and we have nothing no width

Ageroo
10-19-2009, 09:36 AM
For those of you who would like to bring Will Johnson here because he is Canadian yes he was born here in Toronto,however, when he was I think less than a year old he moved to England and stayed there until age 10, at age ten his American parents and Will moved to the Chicago area and that is where he stayed until he became a pro soccer player. Therefore, he is more American than Canadian having spent less than a year of his life in Canada, not much more Canadian than our friend Sam Cronin. Anyways, I think Cronin is a better player, what this team needs is people that can put the ball in the back of the net on a regular basis, Mr. Will Johnson is not the missing piece of the puzzle for this team, let us not waste our time on this player.

No one is arguing that he is the missing piece of the puzzle...and we are not arguing his Canadianess....(if that is a word). Fact of the matter he is a great young Canadian player who chose to ply his trade for the Canada....both him and Sam have +'s & -'s......Will Johnson is more of an attacking player than Cronin is...and if you are arguing people putting the ball in the net, Johnson is a better option IMO.......I would love to have both on our roster......

SoccMan
10-19-2009, 09:40 AM
Ya right let's trade Wynne for Will Johnson sounds like a fair trade to me, please. It will take more than a Will Johnson to get Wynne, if Mo makes this trade it would be as bad as his move of letting our central defender Marshall go to Seattle for nothing in return. How has that move of letting Marshall go to Seattle worked out so far, playing a whole season with no capable center back and giving up goal after goal in the dying minutes of games.

ArmenJBX
10-19-2009, 10:00 AM
We should just sign him period. No need to trade Sam Cronin if we can have both.

Get on it Mo.

Pachuco
10-19-2009, 10:04 AM
They are both pretty similar players. Except I believe Cronin probably has more defensive capabilities then Will has. I woulnd't say that Cronin doesn't have offensive capabilities though, I think he does, he just doesn't need to play that role on this team. Therefore, I would keep Sam Cronin. Seems to me like he's more versatile.

EDIT: One more thing, why mess with a good thing? Cronin knows the players on this team, knows the system, there's no reason to make a trade like that, for all you know Will comes here and shits the bed because he doesn't like the system, doesn't get along with someone, who knows, lots of possibilities that could make that trade go wrong.

Lucky Strike
10-19-2009, 10:13 AM
They are both pretty similar players. Except I believe Cronin probably has more defensive capabilities then Will has. I woulnd't say that Cronin doesn't have offensive capabilities though, I think he does, he just doesn't need to play that role on this team. Therefore, I would keep Sam Cronin. Seems to me like he's more versatile.

EDIT: One more thing, why mess with a good thing? Cronin knows the players on this team, knows the system, there's no reason to make a trade like that, for all you know Will comes here and shits the bed because he doesn't like the system, doesn't get along with someone, who knows, lots of possibilities that could make that trade go wrong.

I'm on the same wavelength here, though their roles are slightly different, it'd be a lateral move in terms of squad talent and therefore doesn't really need doing in the first place.

TFCtoMUFC
10-19-2009, 10:18 AM
How about we won't give them Nick Garcia or Chad Barrett, and we get Johnson.

TFCtoMUFC
10-19-2009, 10:20 AM
Give them Guevara, Robinson and as much allocation as they want (considering MLSE has enough of it).

zeelaw
10-19-2009, 10:29 AM
Absolutely Not

TFC07
10-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Where do I sign? Will Johnson will be a great attacking player for TFC.

Cronin is just a surplus of DM we have. So we can afford to trade him if we want to.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
10-19-2009, 10:31 AM
Never......!!

Ageroo
10-19-2009, 10:33 AM

Cronin is just a surplus of DM we have. So we can afford to trade him if we want to.

Surplus only is we get rid of Robinson......if Robinson goes I think he is our DM along with JDG...I think Guevara is gone next season.

deacon
10-19-2009, 10:45 AM
cronin has same # of goals this year as johnson, one each, having taken 12 shots to johnson's 47. Cronin has more assits this year than johnson has over the last 2 seasons, 4-3.Not saying johnson wouldn't be nice pickup, but I would not give up cronin for johnson. They are both 22, and to get them on same team would be great for the future. many other trade options to be considered before this one.

Ageroo
10-19-2009, 10:48 AM
yes....same team is way better option of course.....

Pachuco
10-19-2009, 10:56 AM

Cronin is surplus? hahaha, that's funny. When have you seen Cronin on the bench this year?

trane
10-19-2009, 11:15 AM
You keep all the quality you can. Cronin is quality. You keep him. I have not seen much of Will Johnson, but I have seen enough of Cronin to know he is a player we should be keeping, unless you can get Sena or De Rossi in here to play instead of him. I like what he brings to the pitch and he has a brigth future.

Yes, surplus DM, what does that mean? We are deep in DMs? sure, but if we have quality DMs you use them. We are a team that shuold play two DMs at a time, and I would be very happy to see Sanyag-JDG-Cronin playing team as the base of our mid.

Chevy
10-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Cronin stays. Period.

C.Ronaldo
10-19-2009, 11:19 AM
cronin is great but still cant hit the net and has on numerous occasions shown his fear of taking a shot

i honestly cant say i have seen him rip a shot.

TFC07
10-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Surplus only is we get rid of Robinson......if Robinson goes I think he is our DM along with JDG...I think Guevara is gone next season.

Cronin is surplus? hahaha, that's funny. When have you seen Cronin on the bench this year?

Having JDG, Serioux (he is a natural DM) and Sanyang (he probably going to be playing a lot more next season) makes Cronin expendable to get a very good player in return.

Order to get quality, you have to give up quality when comes to trades unless a player demands to get traded (ex, DeRo).

trane
10-19-2009, 11:22 AM
^ He is a defensive mid, he is solid positionaly, solid getting the ball, solid passer, good pace, good stamina. In this league, or any, that is what I would want from my DM. A shot would be nice, but it is not his thing.

TFC07
10-19-2009, 11:25 AM
^ He is a defensive mid, he is solid positionaly, solid getting the ball, solid passer, good pace, good stamina. In this league, or any, that is what I would want from my DM. A shot would be nice, but it is not his thing.

The problem is we got enough players (including JDG) who can play as DM. We need wingers, attacking players and defenders. Cronin is the only DM with value (excluding JDG, but he is a DP) to make a trade to get a quality player in return.

trane
10-19-2009, 11:26 AM
Having JDG, Serioux (he is a natural DM) and Sanyang (he probably going to be playing a lot more next season) makes Cronin expendable to get a very good player in return.

Order to get quality, you have to give up quality when comes to trades unless a player demands to get traded (ex, DeRo).

Serioux WAS a DM, and since we only have three quality CBs, Attakora, Gomez, and Serioux, it is unlikely that he would see much time EVER in the MID, he should either play as a partner to Attakora or Gomez, in the Center of Defense or on the Right side. I think next year we will have three DMs Cronin, JDG, Sanyang. Robbo and Guevara are likely gone, with them gone you HAVE the cap room need to upgrade you team, you do not have to trade quality.

TFC07
10-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Serioux WAS a DM, and since we only have three quality CBs, Attakora, Gomez, and Serioux, it is unlikely that he would see much time EVER in the MID, he should either play as a partner to Attakora or Gomez, in the Center of Defense or on the Right side. I think next year we will have three DMs Cronin, JDG, Sanyang. Robbo and Guevara are likely gone, with them gone you HAVE the cap room need to upgrade you team, you do not have to trade quality.

I am not too sure about that. We were over the cap (we spend like close to $1 million of allocation money in the last off-season)...unless MLS is going to increase salary cap dramatically, it is going to be very hard for TFC to sign quality players to fill out our needs (we got plenty of holes on this roster that need to be filled). That is why TFC might have to start trading some of their players.

BTW, we need a true CB to lead our backline. Serioux is a hothead and injury prone player who is going to be missing games for TFC in the future.

trane
10-19-2009, 11:38 AM
^ I agree with the CB part, I like Attakora already, and Gomez is developing nicely, Serioux had a great game in my opinion on saturday, but has made soem questionable decisions at the back. The Serioux of this past game I want playing at CB with Attakora, the Serioux from other days, I am not so confident.

Broadview
10-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Sanyang slots into the DM role as well.

Still, I like Cronin. He's been really versatile. Maybe if Johnson was a leftie...he's not, is he?

Hitcho
10-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Cronin has great utility. He can play DCM, CM, RM, RWB or RB. Plus he's young and only likely to improve his game over the long term. He could be a great player for us for a full decade. So I would hate to see him leave.

And besides, even if Robbo stays he only has one more year to go and after that Cronin will be key for us in the DCM position. We don't want to tie down JDG to a defensive only role - that would be a total waste of a DP slot.

DoubleUp
10-19-2009, 01:00 PM
True........I think we need a real ball magician/attacking mid to replace Guevera. A good passer, with Decent size and also skillful off the dribble forcing dero to giveup his mid-fielder aspirations. I say it again.....Dero's the man! but he is naturally a striker, everything about his game says 18 yard box. Has many Goals as the top strikers in the league this is not a coincidence people.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Ya right let's trade Wynne for Will Johnson sounds like a fair trade to me, please. It will take more than a Will Johnson to get Wynne, if Mo makes this trade it would be as bad as his move of letting our central defender Marshall go to Seattle for nothing in return. How has that move of letting Marshall go to Seattle worked out so far, playing a whole season with no capable center back and giving up goal after goal in the dying minutes of games.

was Marshall selected in the expansion draft? we had to protect so many..yes i wish Marshall had been saved but life goes on..now we have to protect players for the Philly expansion draft followed a year later by Portland and Vancouvers shots!!

UltraSuperMegaMo
10-19-2009, 04:11 PM
To get quality players you have to give up quality players, I could live with us trading Cronin in that we could work around losing him more so than other players in terms of our depth. He's a good player but his versatility is way overrated, he's looks out of place anywhere other than CM.

Bars92
10-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Nigel Reed: "Johnson...Will Johnson..!"

AL-MO
10-19-2009, 04:34 PM
I'd like to trade Boris for BBBulldog (DC United).

I think his capoing abilities would really take us over the top.

Some discussions should be left for the offseason....

jimiv
10-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Keep Cronin...

TFCtoMUFC
10-19-2009, 04:50 PM
I'd like to trade Boris for BBBulldog (DC United).

I think his capoing abilities would really take us over the top.

Some discussions should be left for the offseason....

What about a capo that doesn't speak english?

SvenFlu
10-19-2009, 04:55 PM
No one is arguing that he is the missing piece of the puzzle...and we are not arguing his Canadianess....(if that is a word). Fact of the matter he is a great young Canadian player who chose to ply his trade for the Canada....both him and Sam have +'s & -'s......Will Johnson is more of an attacking player than Cronin is...and if you are arguing people putting the ball in the net, Johnson is a better option IMO.......I would love to have both on our roster......

I don't think he really had a choice. He wasn't going to get a call up from any other country.

If we really want a good young attacking midfielder, we should trade for Justin Mapp or Robbie Rogers. Both would be excellent additions. If we can get another DP, Marcello Gallardo from River Plate would be a great addition. Used to play for DC United.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcelo_Gallardo

Diego Buonanotte is another player from River we should be looking at. Very young player at 21 years old. Played for Argentina at the U-20 World Cup.

Keegan
10-19-2009, 05:19 PM
I doubt RSL would do that trade. Will Johnson is a better player, a star and younger than Cronin with international experience.

Shway
10-19-2009, 05:49 PM

This is just silly, so then OBW shouldnt play for Canada, Ali Gerba shouldnt and shouldnt be of playing, actually half the team.

Come on this is just silly again.

Cronin is just a surplus of DM we have. So we can afford to trade him if we want to.[/quote]

ON POINT

Reason:
Remember we have Sanyang, who i believe is a stronger CDM then Cronin, he cant win balls, I have been trying to figure out what he does good, it is a very minimum other then he has the stamina, and good health, and a long ball. Other then that he still has alot to learn.

Shway
10-19-2009, 05:56 PM

Come on this is silly, just because he's playing doesnt mean hes providing every game, or doesnt mean he shouldnt be on the bench

EXAMPLE:

Gomez didnt deserve to be on the bench

Garcia derserved to be on the bench

deacon
10-19-2009, 06:47 PM
cronin is one month older than johnson.Johnson has been a pro since 18 yrs old, 4 years now. Cronin just finishing rookie year.cronin also has international experience, us gold cup team this summer. production #s don't support johnson as better player.if you want johnson because he's canadian, just come out and say it.but if you want up side over next 2-3 years, cronin should be choice

UltraSuperMegaMo
10-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Keep Cronin, trade Wynne for Johnson.

TFCtoMUFC
10-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Keep Cronin, trade Wynne for Johnson.

We might as well trade 2 players verging on the protect side for the expansion draft.

Macksam
10-19-2009, 07:21 PM
No more useless Brits please :S
FYP

Will Johnson is RSL's best player as described by his own coach.

SPARTACUS
10-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Ummmmm this is already in motion....Is this a leak? See how terrible Johnson played against us. Coincidence? Nope. This will happen in the off season for sure. For more reasons than Cronin, just like I can guarantee Vitti is gone and so is Garcia. Other than that there wont be too many players going anywhere. From what I hear 3 go out...and 2 coming in. You have to wait until the off season though, of course. Right now just fucking win on the weekend. Thats it, thats all. :canada:

TFCtoMUFC
10-19-2009, 07:23 PM
FYP

Will Johnson is RSL's best player as described by his own coach.

You could argue Sam Cronin is our best player. The guy is solid. I can count on one hand how many mistakes I have seen him make, when he does he hustles back and gets the ball back every single time.

SPARTACUS
10-19-2009, 07:25 PM
Cronin stays. Period.

You gonna eat those words my friend. Cronin will go and no hard feelings either way. :drum:

Macksam
10-19-2009, 07:29 PM
You could argue Sam Cronin is our best player. The guy is solid. I can count on one hand how many mistakes I have seen him make, when he does he hustles back and gets the ball back every single time.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm against trading Cronin. I was just setting that other idiot straight.

TFC07
10-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Ummmmm this is already in motion....Is this a leak? See how terrible Johnson played against us. Coincidence? Nope. This will happen in the off season for sure. For more reasons than Cronin, just like I can guarantee Vitti is gone and so is Garcia. Other than that there wont be too many players going anywhere. From what I hear 3 go out...and 2 coming in. You have to wait until the off season though, of course. Right now just fucking win on the weekend. Thats it, thats all. :canada:

Wait, this actually a rumour? Johnson might come to Toronto next season?

TFCtoMUFC
10-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm against trading Cronin. I was just setting that other idiot straight.

Ok, its cool wasn't saying that at you just quoted your comment for fuel. Why would we a trade a great young player? This doesnt make sense. Mo would be retarded to do this. Its like people here want to collect Canadian players like its syphilis.

Macksam
10-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Ok, its cool wasn't saying that at you just quoted your comment for fuel. Why would we a trade a great young player? This doesnt make sense. Mo would be retarded to do this. Its like people here want to collect Canadian players like its syphilis.
Yeah, I will only accept Will Johnson if Cronin stays as well. Trading Wynne for him would be alright in my books. Wynne after his first season with us was set to become the best right back in Concacaf. However, he hasn't improved since.

TFCtoMUFC
10-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Yeah, I will only accept Will Johnson if Cronin stays as well. Trading Wynne for him would be alright in my books. Wynne after his first season with us was set to become the best right back in Concacaf. However, he hasn't improved since.

He has speed and..........thats all. If only you could combine him and OBW.

Macksam
10-19-2009, 07:54 PM
He has speed and..........thats all. If only you could combine him and OBW.
Funny considering we were all speculating how he was premiership bound after season 1.

TFCtoMUFC
10-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Funny considering we were all speculating how he was premiership bound after season 1.

Do not loop me in to that. I for one have never been a big fan of Marvell Wynne.

Keegan
10-19-2009, 10:19 PM

Because let me explain to you why...

Will Johnson is YOUNGER than Cronin
Will Johnson is BETTER than Cronin

So the reason you trade a great young player is for a greater younger player.

But RSL won't do it.

Pachuco
10-19-2009, 11:24 PM

But RSL won't do it.

Go back to the Canada forum dude. I have to say. You constantly annoy me with your pro Canada fuck everything on TFC that isn't Canadian mentality. You rarely have a voice around here unless it's talking about a Canadian player.

Someone just said will and Sam are 1 month apart and you throw the age argument out there? Give me a break. You are as biased and narrow minded as it gets.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-20-2009, 01:45 AM
Go back to the Canada forum dude. I have to say. You constantly annoy me with your pro Canada fuck everything on TFC that isn't Canadian mentality. You rarely have a voice around here unless it's talking about a Canadian player.

Someone just said will and Sam are 1 month apart and you throw the age argument out there? Give me a break. You are as biased and narrow minded as it gets.

yeah nothing personal Keegan but that is a truth

twistedchinaman
10-20-2009, 02:49 AM
:rofl:

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000!

:smilielol5:

Macksam
10-20-2009, 08:45 AM

Well, he has the right idea though. In order for TFC to have long term success, it will need a strong Canadian backbone, but I do think the Johnson for Cronin deal is unneccessary.

Pachuco
10-20-2009, 11:00 AM
Well, he has the right idea though. In order for TFC to have long term success, it will need a strong Canadian backbone, but I do think the Johnson for Cronin deal is unneccessary.

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on what the rules are in the future. Lots of big teams in the world have success without a strong local back bone (though that may change). Don't get me wrong, I want Canadians on the team, but not at the expense of giving up one of our top talents. I personally believe Cronin is a top talent on this team and he's already becoming one of the core players that I see playing here for a long time. If we just keep replacing players with other similar players then the continous revolving door will hurt us more then anything.

For the first time in TFC's existence I personally think we should try and minimize the changes we make in the offseason and try and establish the core. We'll probably lose a couple of guys (Robbo, Guevara), and I think we should just look at replacing those (with wingers hopefully).

Bobo
10-20-2009, 11:15 AM

Useless Canadian, LOL. No more stupid posts please.

Albeit a replacement, he was on the fucking MLS all-star team for crying out loud.

brad
10-20-2009, 11:27 AM

Until 3/4's of the squad goes to the Gold Cup and we are suiting up our scouts again.

Belfast_Boy
10-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Useless Canadian, LOL. No more stupid posts please.

Albeit a replacement, he was on the fucking MLS all-star team for crying out loud.

do we have a lot of useless Canadians? JDG, DeRo and Nana?

don't know Johnson well, but I do like Cronin. he plays hard and doesn't make too many mistakes.

Keegan
10-20-2009, 11:57 AM

How am I being Canada biased here? At all.

Will Johnson is a better player than Cronin and plays a position we need players at... he was an All Star ffs and his own coach rates him as their best player RSL includes US International Kyle Beckerman among others.

What is so wrong with wanting a better Canadian over an American? It is better for TFC. So I guess I should just come into this thread and be like "You know what Will is a better player than Cronin, has been a pro since 2005 vs. 2009, has played in two U20 World Cups, one Gold Cup and is an MLS all star and doesn't take up an international spot but hmmm people may think Im biased if I want to trade Cronin for him so I'll just say keep Cronin."
:picard:

Shway
10-20-2009, 12:01 PM

But RSL won't do it.

I dont see where this warrants a rant like this.
He is right.
Will Johnson is younger than Sammy regardless if there a month apart. For him to say trade a younger play for a younger player is now is a bit extreme, but it doesnt mean we say F you, you need to F'n go here.
Lets me respectable.

Ive been questionning my football knowledge because of peoples opinions on this board, because I dont know if its the fact that we will praise any player who is currently wearing the TFC red, or what.

However, the main question to this thread is Will Johnson better than Sam Cronin.
Answer: YES

Will Johnson is a better attacker than Sam Cronin.
Will Johnson is a better distributor than Sam Cronin.
Sam Cronin and Will Johnson have the same style of work rates.

Ive heard Sammy will be a good replacement for Robbo, but in my opinion he wont. The reason why is because Sam Cronin is not a solid player, Robbo is solid, Cronin doesnt win tackles, Robbo known for getting stuck in winning tackles. Now who should be Robbo's replacement "Amado Sanyang" we all know this. Weres should Cronin play? A Solid sub.
Hes played almost the whole season, out on the wing, and it fustrates me seeing himself there because he is NOT A WINGER. A Wingers mentality is what ive seen from Chad Barrett, the willingness to take on a defender, and swing it in regardless if you make a mistake. Cronin plays to not make a mistake. This is why I said trading him for Will Johnson could be a good way to acquire him. If its possible for us to keep him, and get both would be good. But what would be the point? Spots for Cronin would run out. I am not "Pro Canada" but "Pro Talent" and if there Canadian Talent who is it benefiting Keegan or the Roster?

Shway
10-20-2009, 12:03 PM
do we have a lot of useless Canadians? JDG, DeRo and Nana?

don't know Johnson well, but I do like Cronin. he plays hard and doesn't make too many mistakes.

Because he plays not to make mistakes.

In the position he plays you have to, but instead of taking on a player in the attackive third, he'll look for Frei

jloome
10-20-2009, 12:04 PM
This is not a good idea.

We have offense out the ying-yang from midfield. There's no word on whether Guevara's here for another year, which suggests he is. Even with vitti leaving, we need wide players (which Johnson can do, but isn't natural at), not another attacking midfielder.

They're very similar in proficiency but have different skill sets. Cronin is a defensive player, but what people are going to figure out over the next few seasons is that he's easily one of the best passers in the league. His long passing is nothign short of Euro level. In fact, if he can improve the physical side of his game, he's one of our best prospects to move up to that level.

Johnson, on the other hand, has already spent a fair number of years in Europe and hasn't latched on. He has one goal this year, same as Sammy, but doesn't read the defensive game as well. (Although he's surprisingly good going back for a guy who was originally pegged as a forward.)

We wouldn't lose a huge amount on the field in this swap, but we would lose some, along with potential eventual transfer revenue and, it must be said, a proven entity as a tenacious team player.

On top of that, Cronin can play wide, making him the ultimate fill-in guy in a league that needs fill in guys. Case closed.

Plus, Cronin's showing all this as a pro rookie. Johnson's been playing against pros for years. So who has more potential upside? Got to go with Cronin again.

Doesn't make sense, unless Mo is seriously overplaying the "we need all the best Canadians" card prior to Vancouver suiting up.

Pachuco
10-20-2009, 12:15 PM
How am I being Canada biased here? At all.

Will Johnson is a better player than Cronin and plays a position we need players at... he was an All Star ffs and his own coach rates him as their best player RSL includes US International Kyle Beckerman among others.

What is so wrong with wanting a better Canadian over an American? It is better for TFC. So I guess I should just come into this thread and be like "You know what Will is a better player than Cronin, has been a pro since 2005 vs. 2009, has played in two U20 World Cups, one Gold Cup and is an MLS all star and doesn't take up an international spot but hmmm people may think Im biased if I want to trade Cronin for him so I'll just say keep Cronin."
:picard:

Cronin can play the exact position as Will Johnson, but we choose not to play him there. Now as far as I know, I've never seen Will Johnson play DM and I'm not sure he has that in his resume. That makes Cronin more versatile and someone who could be very usefull in a salary capped league.

Regardless, the argument over who's better is subjective. What I do know (based on all the posts you've every contributed to this site) is that you want Will here because he's Canadian. If he wasn't, you probably wouldn't have even contributed to this thread. And that is where I say your only interest is in national team players, and so having a discussion in the TFC forums is usually a waste of time. It's not meant as an insult, it's trully what I have observed.

One more thing, both their stats are identical, except Johnson is responsible for putting goals and assists up and Cronin isn't (based on their position). At this point, it's pretty difficult to make a case for Will unless you really only care about his nationality.

I think the case for Cronin goes without say, the last thing we freeking need is an entire new midfield come next year (AGAIN). Unless you are bringing in someone much more superior, or unless Cronin wants out, I have no idea how you could argue that it's a good move to trade one for the other.

Now, if you're telling me that we can get Johnson for Garcia, Barrett and Gerba, then we can talk ;)

felipe
10-20-2009, 12:27 PM
We've been crying all year for a winger - and with Johnson we'd get one - he played very well for Canada in that role in our last batch of disapointing int'ls.

Cronin is great - no argument - I'd hate to lose him - but lacks the offensive imagination of Johnson - people decry the lack of movement when we attack - Will would greatly enhance that.

(please don't quote statistics at me - stats never , ever, (especially goals and assists) show a player's true worth - lies, damn lies and statistics!)

If this trade happens, its even stevens (actually I'd argue we'd be getting the better player) - but upgrades us in a position we need help in and takes away from the one spot we have lots of depth.

We'd be the better for it as a team.

Sometimes you have to give quality to get it back in return.

But if we could package an unproven player instead, so much the better.

rocker
10-20-2009, 12:32 PM
but in MLS Johnson isn't playing an offensive role. I've followed him this year and Kreis has moved him to defensive midfielder. Obviously for a reason -- he wasn't cutting it offensively in MLS at this stage of his career.

Personally i think it's a tie between them at this point. And given there's only a month's difference in age, it's a wash.

fetajr
10-20-2009, 12:32 PM
make more sense to trade Guevara for Johnson, since they own the same position..right?

felipe
10-20-2009, 12:38 PM
I'd argue trading any of the veterans around 30 or older for Johnson would be a great trade for us - but can't see RSL thinking so...omitting the two De's however...

(actually intersting thought that just occured to me that is sure to get me burned....Johnson for DERo? Would that probably be a good deal for us? Hmmm....depends on if Guevera stayed on...and I'm sure Mo would get run out of town if he tried it...)

TFC OZZ
10-20-2009, 12:40 PM
i've been wanting johnson for quite some time, but i would pass if they demand Sam Cronin. I would be more likely to give up Guevera and Wynne, or Edwards for his services. He's a fantastic player, who although we may not need at the moment, 2 or 3 years down the road he would be a fantastic player to have with Robbo, Guevera, De Rosario all getting older.

Shway
10-20-2009, 12:52 PM
On top of that, Cronin can play wide, making him the ultimate fill-in guy in a league that needs fill in guys. Case closed.

FOR FFS

SAM CRONIN IS NOT A WINGER, IF BE IN THE POSITION BUT CAN HE REALLY PLAY IT?

Chevy
10-20-2009, 01:04 PM

I don't see the logic here. Guy has a sub-par game because he thinks he's being traded next year?

Keegan
10-20-2009, 01:08 PM
Johnson is one of the hardest workers in MLS the guy is an absolute bulldog out there. I love watching him play, Cronin plays not to make mistakes and don't get me wrong I really like him but he isn't Will Johnson. Will Johnson also played DM for RSL for part of the season.

If we could get Will Johnson without trading Cronin i'd be even happier Im just saying it's unrealistic that RSL would even trade Johnson for Cronin straight up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBYQep9XyHc

He is already further along than De Rosario was at his age and I think he is going to be the next big Canadian name in MLS. If you can make that trade you do it in an instant. He is very different from De Rosario though, he's very unselfish and plays box to box he doesn't seem to get tired and he's intense out there.

deacon
10-20-2009, 01:54 PM
johnson's 2009 stats,1 goal on 47 shots, and 3 assists don't measure up to your assessments.That strike rate, makes Barrett's ,5 goals on 54 shots,look better and better.Also johnson's 4 assists over the past two seasons doesn't seem all that great either. #s tell the story

Shway
10-20-2009, 01:57 PM
johnson is a mid, which means he taking them from atleast 20+ yards out,
barrett a fw,
math = shouldnt be compared

Pachuco
10-20-2009, 02:06 PM
johnson is a mid, which means he taking them from atleast 20+ yards out,
barrett a fw,
math = shouldnt be compared

I didn't realize midfielders aren't allowed to cross the 20 yard line. Must be one of those wacky MLS rules.

deacon
10-20-2009, 02:20 PM
and your rational for 4 assist in two years? I would think an attacking midfielder would average better than 2/year.

Keegan
10-20-2009, 02:32 PM
johnson's 2009 stats,1 goal on 47 shots, and 3 assists don't measure up to your assessments.That strike rate, makes Barrett's ,5 goals on 54 shots,look better and better.Also johnson's 4 assists over the past two seasons doesn't seem all that great either. #s tell the story

Ya I know eh totally. Its all about numbers, I mean forget RSL's system Johnson should be playing a free role!

His numbers are so bad though, like why would he even be chosen on the all star team? Stupid MLS, Johnson must have a relative in the front offices. Forget what he brings to the actual team, its all about numbers and if he isn't on the end of a goal then he is useless. Because thats what numbers mean.

Aaah. The logic. Julian De Guzman only had 1 goal in 3 years in Spain that must be why he was MVP for Deportivo geez, stupid La Liga they must have thought he was spanish.

Macksam
10-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Until 3/4's of the squad goes to the Gold Cup and we are suiting up our scouts again.
Everyone would refuse like Serioux, De Ro and Nana did. Iregardless of that fact, it's not an issue and shouldn't be a factor to having Canadian talent.

jloome
10-20-2009, 09:04 PM
FOR FFS

SAM CRONIN IS NOT A WINGER, IF BE IN THE POSITION BUT CAN HE REALLY PLAY IT?

Holy shout man, take it down a notch.

He played well on the right, getting up and down the line well and crossing accurately. He played poorly on the left. Bit moot, though. This is MLS. You need players who can play multiple positions.

And Will Johnson's not a winger either.

brad
10-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Everyone would refuse like Serioux, De Ro and Nana did. Iregardless of that fact, it's not an issue and shouldn't be a factor to having Canadian talent.

I doubt we can count on that happening each Gold Cup (nor is it actually good for the CMNT for this to continually happen). And it does have to be factored in as long as MLS squads are paper thin.

brad
10-20-2009, 10:50 PM
We'd be stupid to trade Cronin right now. He's been outstanding for a rookie. As mentioned earlier, his passing is first rate. He's not making the hollywood balls, but he's keeping play flowing. Cronin could easily be a top MLS player in the next few years.

Yohan
10-21-2009, 07:14 AM
The All Star game being in Rio Tinto probably had a huge factor in why Johnson got picked for AS reserves