PDA

View Full Version : Mariner Resigns from Revs

Ron Manager
10-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Link to article. (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mls/news;_ylt=AqLdrwW8hBXONsdvH3PItHMHNgU6?slug=ap-mls-revolutionmoves&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Says he is off to pursue a coaching position abroad...Canada is abroad, isn't it?

rocker
10-18-2009, 12:47 PM
jumping ship before Nicol leaves for TFC? ;) ;) ;)

ensco
10-18-2009, 12:49 PM
He's been rumoured to be going to Plymouth Argyle for weeks

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/sport/REVOLUTION-CONFIRM-MARINER-S-ARGYLE-TALKS/article-1415621-detail/article.html

DOMIN8R
10-18-2009, 12:50 PM
I don't think Mariner is coming here. But Nicol might be.

Yohan
10-18-2009, 12:54 PM
what indicates or evidences are there that Nicol is coming here?

rocker
10-18-2009, 01:02 PM
what indicates or evidences are there that Nicol is coming here?

nothing... just hope

Ossington Mental Youth
10-18-2009, 08:04 PM
apparently hes friends with Mo too which still means nothing

andyc
10-18-2009, 09:11 PM
If he knows Mo, then he'll know that he can't work for him and be allowed to do his job with any kind of freedom...

Hitcho
10-18-2009, 09:16 PM
If he knows Mo, then he'll know that he can't work for him and be allowed to do his job with any kind of freedom...

This kind of comment is splashed around all the time, but I've yet to see or hear any concrete evidence of it. Carver said he chose the players and Mo brought them in. He coached the team. Cummins hasn't once said anything I can think of to suggest he's not in control of first team coaching and selection. At the same time, Mo has been saying he has way too much on in terms of scouting, FO duties, etc to manage on his own and that's one of the reasons they wanted DD on board.

So, out of interest, what evidence is there that Mo wouldn't let an experienced, recognised MLS coach with a strong track record run the first team?

I'm not saying it's wrong, I am just wondering if there is anything to support this other than rumour?

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-18-2009, 09:18 PM

More Mo bashing..enough already:facepalm:

CretanBull
10-18-2009, 09:30 PM
More Mo bashing..enough already:facepalm:

The irony is unbearable.

andyc
10-18-2009, 10:25 PM
Nicol won't work for Mo. He runs the show at NE and wouldn't accept the coaching only role. If he can't pick the players and try to build a winning team, why would he switch to TFC?

As for the Mo not choosing the team, I will leave alone other than to say do you really think Cummins has been in complete control of the team??

Super
10-18-2009, 10:34 PM
Well, before we move ahead and sign another coach maybe we should wait to see if Cummins gets us in the play-offs. If he does wouldn't he have fulfilled our 2 demands for the season? Canadian Cup win + make first round of play-offs. Let's be fair here.

jabbronies
10-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Nicol won't work for Mo. He runs the show at NE and wouldn't accept the coaching only role. If he can't pick the players and try to build a winning team, why would he switch to TFC?

As for the Mo not choosing the team, I will leave alone other than to say do you really think Cummins has been in complete control of the team??

Or Nicol knows he can come here, ask for players and won't have to life a finger to get them cos Mo will do all the leg work to make it happen.

Beach_Red
10-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Well, before we move ahead and sign another coach maybe we should wait to see if Cummins gets us in the play-offs. If he does wouldn't he have fulfilled our 2 demands for the season? Canadian Cup win + make first round of play-offs. Let's be fair here.

Has Cummins ever said anything about wanting to coach this team next year?

rocker
10-18-2009, 10:50 PM
Nicol won't work for Mo. He runs the show at NE and wouldn't accept the coaching only role.

ummm... are you Nicol's agent? how do you know this?

Ossington Mental Youth
10-18-2009, 11:26 PM
ummm... are you Nicol's agent? how do you know this?

It seems like a safe bet imo, that being said theres nothing on record showing Nicol has said this

Cashcleaner
10-18-2009, 11:47 PM
nothing... just hope

It IS a good hope, though. I think Nichols could do a lot for TFC if given the chance. Truthfully, he's not my top choice, but the idea of him coming to Toronto isn't beyond the scope of possibility.

Damien
10-19-2009, 12:13 AM
Let's see if TFC makes the playoffs before we go hiring Sir Alex...

Beach_Red
10-19-2009, 08:35 AM

Maybe because it's not working?

Sometimes coaches just need a change of scenery. NE has been less successful each of the last three seasons, going from 50 points in 2007 to 43 points last year to likely missing the playoffs this year. They've never won the MLS Cup, they are 0-4 in big games.

Who knows, maybe he's had the same trouble signing players to play on the turf at a big American football stadium in the middle of nowhere. Maybe BMO with grass and sold out to supporters will look good.

James17930
10-19-2009, 10:34 AM
The irony is unbearable.

Or maybe that the ironing is delicious. :hump:

Hitcho
10-19-2009, 12:06 PM

This is just more conjecture. There;s nothing to suggest that A) Nicol won't work for Mo, or B) it would be a "coaching only role" (Carver always claimed he id'd the players and Mo got them in).

As for Cummins, I could believe it either way to be honest. He's not a manager, he's a youth coach promoted too fast and it's hard to tell if some of his decisions are him being hog-tied or just a sign of his inexperience, especially under rpessure.

That said though, there is NOTHING other than fan rumour to suggest that Mo has been interfering in team selection and/or coaching. Mo's not been spotted at any training sessions. Cummins has never even hinted Mo is involved and nor did Carver. Mo has not said anything to suggest he's getting involved, inf act he has made statements which indicate he wouldn;t have time even if he wanted to. Mo wanted to make the move upstairs to GM because he knew he wasn;t doing well as manager/head coach, so why would he now stick his oar in from a position of distance?

Seriously - all the people that keep bashing this same line over and over and over - what have you got to back it up?

olegunnar
10-19-2009, 12:13 PM
That said though, there is NOTHING other than fan rumour to suggest that Mo has been interfering in team selection and/or coaching.

I believe that statement isn't 100% accurate.

Even if you don't have inside sources, if one were to pay attention to who's posting what on this board, they'd see that some of the people posting are in fact in a position to know.

Stryker
10-19-2009, 12:22 PM
Mariner was my first choice to replace Cummins so I'm alittle disappointed.

Also of note, wiki has been edited to list Mariner as manager.

Hitcho
10-19-2009, 12:24 PM
I believe that statement isn't 100% accurate.

Even if you don't have inside sources, if one were to pay attention to who's posting what on this board, they'd see that some of the people posting are in fact in a position to know.

this is nothing more than rumour about rumour dude!

Some people might know something and others can guess at what they might know and then everyone else should read between the lines of rumour?!

Like I said above, I'm not saying it's wrong, all I am asking is whether there's anything other than rumour to back this up? Because I've not seen or heard anything, whereas I have seen and heard things that suggest Mo ISN'T interfering in team selection.

Lucky Strike
10-19-2009, 12:41 PM
On the Footy Blog, there is a link in today's news that confirms he's off to Argyle.

Lucky Strike
10-19-2009, 12:46 PM
^Here we go:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/plymouth-rely-on-mariner-to-get-them-into-calmer-waters-1805114.html

ensco
10-19-2009, 01:55 PM
By the way, lots of chatter on the RSL boards that Kreis will be gone there.

He could be a terrific hire. Was anyone else thinking that RSL actually looked very well organized Saturday?