PDA

View Full Version : Frei or Edwards?

cementhead
10-18-2009, 07:10 AM
Next week against New York ShitBull do we stay with Edwards are go with Frei.Myself I said stay with the hot keeper I think the boys have a lot of confidences right know in Edwards so let him play!

SQUIRREL
10-18-2009, 07:26 AM
I agree. I'm a FREI supporter, but right now we got a big win and I think you have to continue with Edwards. The players on TFC TV were talking highly of Edwards after the match (after a win of course). Edwards has been playing really well.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
10-18-2009, 07:44 AM
How can you not go with Edwards at this point!

SuperTCP
10-18-2009, 07:50 AM
Stick with Edwards.

CretanBull
10-18-2009, 08:19 AM
I like Frei a lot and I don't think his play has cost us any points this year - although he has earned us a few - but Edwards has earned it. He's been in the background for awhile waiting for his chance and he's done it with a great deal of professionalism. He's earned his chance, we've got to give it to him.

James17930
10-18-2009, 08:24 AM
Eddy.

TFC Bhoy
10-18-2009, 08:31 AM
I agree with everyone here really. I am a big fan of Frei and thought he earned the job earlier in the season from Sutton but on the same note I think right now Edwards has earned it. He has played great for us the past couple games making some really key saves. He earned it so let him run with it.

If both stick around next season I think it will be a great battle for keeper.

AL-MO
10-18-2009, 08:34 AM
Stick with Edwards, but this is a GOOD problem to have going in to next season.

Parkdale
10-18-2009, 08:36 AM
edwards might be 'hot' after the last game, but we should go with the first pick for our last critical game.

Frei's the guy

Beach_Red
10-18-2009, 09:03 AM
In other sports there's an unwritten rule that you don't lose your starting position because of injury. Is that the case here?

Fort York Redcoat
10-18-2009, 09:22 AM
Tough one. Super Frei deserves it but he's gotta be superfit.

AL-MO
10-18-2009, 09:23 AM
Are we sure Frei will be ready?

stugautz
10-18-2009, 09:25 AM
As long as Frei is healthy start him. You never lose your starting spot to injury.

James17930
10-18-2009, 10:35 AM
Sutton did.

rocker
10-18-2009, 10:48 AM
will Frei be in best form after a 2-3 week layoff?
i'd go with Edwards.
but to be honest, i'm fine with either.

Stryker
10-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Play the hot kepper, prey he stands on his head and continues to do so into the playoffs. He'll make himself a valuable commodity for when he asks to be traded next year.

ManUtd4ever
10-18-2009, 11:22 AM
No question, you always ride the hot goalkeeper...

felipe
10-18-2009, 12:37 PM
Flutie!

Remember when he led the Bills all year, then they played Rob shudder Johnson in a nothing game to rest Flutie, and then started Johnson in the playoff match?

But, I still vote Edwards for the last game. Playoffs may be a different matter...

Bobo
10-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Edwards should leave in the off season if he doesn't start next weekend.

Yohan
10-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Edwards should leave in the off season if he doesn't start next weekend.
im sure Philly Union would love to have Edwards as starting GK

RedRum
10-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Without Frei the RBNY game is meaningless and we are probably just barely ahead of them on points. No NCC victory either, the season would have been a complete disaster. He is co-MVP with DeRo this year IMO. Tough to sit a guy like that in such a crucial game.

Having said that, I still dont know what the right call is. Edwards played a hell of a game yesterday. Right decision may well mean playoffs, wrong choice and it may well be good-bye. Please for the love of fuck CC, analyze, observe, and make the right call.

ArmenJBX
10-18-2009, 01:55 PM
I'd choose Brian Edwards, but I'm sure that Frei would do a good job as well.

Such a unique question, when have we had to pick between two amazing players on this team lol :D

Yohan
10-18-2009, 01:57 PM
I'd pick Edwards over Frei solely because Edwards have shown more willingness to come out to collect crosses.

Candu_88
10-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Competition for places is always good for the team and player development. Nobody could criticize CC for playing Edwards in the last game as he as certainly earned the roster spot. You can't bench the MOTM from the last game without sending the wrong message to the players.

Next year will be interesting if TFC can keep both keepers. My suggestion will be to research the main scoring threats of the opposition. If it is wide play with threatening headers and target strikers play Edwards. If it is a speedy team with long distance shooters and lots of through ball type goals then Frei.

Frei has the agility and the reaction speed to develop into a true world class keeper but his cross defense, communication and timing close downs on break aways are the main areas he needs to focus on IMO.

Edwards has been great the last two games. The one thing as a coach that scared me just a little was one shot by RSL that was low and down the middle. Edwards scooped up the shot with his legs spread wide. That is one of the first things that you teach youth keepers not to do. All it takes is one funny hop to let in an devastatingly embarrassing goal especially on grass where the area in front of the keepers get chewed up badly. Keeper that instinctually do this on occasion in my experience lack comfortable body flexibility. Correct technique is legs together behind the ball or one knee on the ground. Great development from Edwards but still some work to be done.

red_polka_dots
10-18-2009, 03:46 PM
stick with edwards and his lucky belly

InTheCrowd
10-18-2009, 03:46 PM
Edwards' performance have been over rated IMO. I'm a Frei guy.

Shway
10-18-2009, 04:20 PM
^its everyones opinion but you have to look at the details, Cummins even notices and noted that Eddy commands the box alot better than Frei, but Frei is a shot a better shot stopper

Now in order be a good shot stopper there has to be alot of shots been taken at you to save, which Frei does (MAGNIFICENT) however I believe that the reason why Frei saves so many shots, is because he DOES not command his box.

An example of the difference between the two, was this past game how RSL were pushing for a goal, and Eddy made the decision to come WAY off his line ( i cant remember the time), and he went to go punch it, but missed, however he still disrupted the attack, leading to a goal kick. Now with Frei, I dont want to entirely blame losses solely on one player, thats why I didnt agree with it being ENTIRELY Garcia's fault these past games, because Frei doesnt come off his line, making it a more area for the defence to cover, also when Frei comes off his line, he ALWAYS hesitate.

After all i said -

PLAY B EDDY

Broadview
10-18-2009, 04:47 PM
In other sports there's an unwritten rule that you don't lose your starting position because of injury. Is that the case here?

Tell that to Wally Pipp.

carefree_cfc
10-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Frei is the better pure shot stopper in my opinion, he gets my vote. First class service from Eddy though.

Nodoubtguy
10-18-2009, 04:51 PM
If Frei is 100%, I think it's his start. He's been our man all year.....

IF he is not 100%, even if he's 99%.....go with Edwards

GBV
10-18-2009, 04:52 PM
i vote edwards. keep with what's working.
as an aside, that also means no garcia.

DoubleUp
10-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Defence is a team game and it starts at the back....the very back!, that being said if you have one keeper thats is a better organizer, more experienced and a better distributor of the ball........thats the keeper I think the team should go with, if we'd rather instability and action shots we should choose otherwise. If the team is properly organized, goal keeping comes down to a question of, positioning and fortitude.

InTheCrowd
10-19-2009, 05:20 PM
Defence is a team game and it starts at the back....the very back!, that being said if you have one keeper thats is a better organizer, more experienced and a better distributor of the ball........thats the keeper I think the team should go with, if we'd rather instability and action shots we should choose otherwise. If the team is properly organized, goal keeping comes down to a question of, positioning and fortitude.

Obviously Edwards wasn't organizing well because the defence did nothing he said. Yelling at your defenders isn't organizing. And since when did anyone even think that Edwards has more experience than Frei? I'm not going to trust Edwards who has played only 2 games this season. I don't believe they were impressive either. Frei has played all season and I'm not in the mood to risk putting a benchwarmer in goal for a game that determines whether or not we make the playoffs. If we have the option of Frei, he should stand in goal just like he has the rest of the season. If Edwards is superior to Frei he would've started ages ago.

Cuchulain
10-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Edwards deserves the start IMO.

Wagner
10-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Edwards...
Keepers aren't like other positions...
you ride the hot one.

Gixmo
10-19-2009, 09:56 PM
If Frei is 100%, I think it's his start. He's been our man all year.....

IF he is not 100%, even if he's 99%.....go with Edwards

That's where I am...

Cashcleaner
10-19-2009, 11:10 PM
I don't think sticking Frei in net now that he's healed would hurt our chances at a win, but I agree that Edwards has done a good job so far and he deserves to start in New York. Frei has the experience of pressure on his shoulders, but I'd be willing to take a risk on the young one.

Blizzard
10-20-2009, 12:07 AM
^its everyones opinion but you have to look at the details, Cummins even notices and noted that Eddy commands the box alot better than Frei, but Frei is a shot a better shot stopper

Now in order be a good shot stopper there has to be alot of shots been taken at you to save, which Frei does (MAGNIFICENT) however I believe that the reason why Frei saves so many shots, is because he DOES not command his box.

An example of the difference between the two, was this past game how RSL were pushing for a goal, and Eddy made the decision to come WAY off his line ( i cant remember the time), and he went to go punch it, but missed, however he still disrupted the attack, leading to a goal kick. Now with Frei, I dont want to entirely blame losses solely on one player, thats why I didnt agree with it being ENTIRELY Garcia's fault these past games, because Frei doesnt come off his line, making it a more area for the defence to cover, also when Frei comes off his line, he ALWAYS hesitate.

After all i said -

PLAY B EDDY

I agree with this post 100%.

B

tfcmanu
10-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Coach says backup goalkeeper 'deserves a chance' after giving club shot at playoffs

Back-up goalkeeper Brian Edwards appears to have earned the start for the Saturday night in New York, the biggest game in Toronto FC's short history.

While TFC coach Chris Cummins never names his lineup until just before kick-off, he made it clear on Tuesday that Edwards' performance in place of an injured Stefan Frei over the past two games means he "deserves a chance" to face the New York Red Bulls in the final match of the season.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/t...fc-s-last-stand (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/713049--looks-like-edwards-for-fc-s-last-stand)

druid
10-20-2009, 04:14 PM
The one thing as a coach that scared me just a little was one shot by RSL that was low and down the middle. Edwards scooped up the shot with his legs spread wide.

Noticed that too, made me cringe.

On a positive note, I noticed that I could hear Edwards yelling at his defenders in the first half. That's pretty impressive since I sit in 121.

C.Ronaldo
10-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Edwards

but GOD PLEASE GET HIM A HAIR CUT AND SHAVE

hes such a frat boy.

i was convinced he was here for the hookers and booze.

but he showed up big time

His arm is the secret weapon. He almost got himself an assist last game

C.Ronaldo
10-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Noticed that too, made me cringe.

On a positive note, I noticed that I could hear Edwards yelling and his defenders in the first half. That's pretty impressive since I sit in 121.

he also lets shots go that to us seem pretty close to the post

but he might just know his angles really really well.

Eastend
10-20-2009, 04:28 PM
If Frei is 100%, absolutely, no question about it, 1000% then Frei no question....take it and go.

DoubleUp
10-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Edwards

hes such a frat boy.

this the only reason people dont want to give him the same oppertunity as frei, because he doesnt look like the starting keeper not in his stature, not in his appearance. If no matter what he does he can't win a starting spot because frei happens to be fresh off the tit and european, trade him and stop wasting his time. Iam tired players narrowly gettin by because they look like the kid next door, the kid we wont to root for. I think the best players should be on the field for this team at all times, and if you find it hard to cheer for those best players, if the team doesnt resemble a Tfc you envisioned. Then don't do it!!!:scarf::flare:

james
10-20-2009, 05:23 PM
Frei has had a good season, Edwards has been great playing the last 2 matches. But since Frei has been out a few weeks he might go in a bit cold vs New York, while Edwards has been hot last few weeks. I say put Edwards in while hes on a role.

InTheCrowd
10-20-2009, 05:25 PM
If someone said that they'd start Edwards over Frei half a season ago people would go nuts. I'm not going to jump on the Edwards bandwagon after 2 decent games. He is to inexperienced and doesn't seem to be able to control the defence. He doesn't know where his net is and he raises his arms and starts yelling at his defenders before the shot is let off.

james
10-20-2009, 05:27 PM
Edwards

hes such a frat boy.

only would a C.Ronaldo fan complain about this guys hair cut and facial hair. Ronaldo...what a pretty boy! :lol: