PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Article on Demand for Leafs Tickets

brad
10-17-2009, 08:55 AM
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nhl/mapleleafs/article/711779--is-hottest-ticket-in-town-cooling-off

Very interesting article on the drop in demand for Leafs tickets, and why. Direct parallels to what is going on with TFC.

(mods: move to All Sports if you want, but I think it is TFC relevant)

The legendary willingness of Leafs-loving Torontonians to dish out mortgage-payment-like sums to witness a perennial loser may have reached its breaking point.

Tickets to Maple Leafs games are being sold for unprecedented low prices on the open market – in what ticket brokers and resellers say is an early sign of a backlash against the club's league-topping ticket prices and basement-dwelling performance.

Another reason for the fire sale? "This all goes back to March when the Leafs had the audacity to raise face-value prices," says Lange. "A lot of long-term season ticket holders contacted us and told us to sell their season tickets ... These are longtime season ticket holders saying, `I've had enough of the incompetence. Sell my tickets.'"

canadian_bhoy
10-17-2009, 08:57 AM
There is a disconnect between Leaf fans and going to watch the leafs. Ever since they moved into the ACC, the Leafs have been further and further out of the reach of their real fans. You can't blame the fans for not caring anymore.

ensco
10-17-2009, 09:21 AM
Big difference between the lower bowl and the upper bowl. Upper bowl prices ($40-75 each) are pretty firm. Still getting premiums for Saturday night games.

The real story is the bombed out corporate sector. Nobody has the budget to spend $1000 to take clients to a game anymore. It was probably always a waste of money, and an abuse of the tax code, to begin with.