PDA

View Full Version : Nigel's latest blog

johnmolinaro
10-14-2009, 01:33 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2009/10/down_to_the_wire_for_toronto_f.html

John

bangersandmash
10-14-2009, 01:41 PM
My point is this: if Toronto FC does actually make the playoffs this year my concern is that all the deficiencies will be conveniently swept under the carpet in the ensuing euphoria. Surely prudence suggests it would be beneficial, in the medium to long term, for this team to spend the winter taking a long, hard look in the mirror and addressing the clear and present problems.

To quote the great Stan Lee... "nuff said." I'm gonna see if I can get that on the back of one of my TFC strips.

v00d00daddy
10-14-2009, 03:31 PM
Great blog from Reed.

He makes sense. It's not about making the playoffs or winning the MLS cup. It's about improving and playing good soccer.

TFC improves at a snails pace (in terms of personel) and plays horrid soccer.

A playoff berth would definitely sweep the deficiencies under the rug...and who would be to blame then?

rocker
10-14-2009, 03:35 PM
TFC has improved every season, according to the points awarded for wins and ties.

I want to get into the playoffs and win the MLS Cup. I don't want to "wait til next year."

If TFC made the playoffs and MLS Cup, I would rejoice, not think "Oh, but what about next year??? Is this a mirage???" I'd enjoy the experience of making it that far in just 3 seasons.

Parkdale
10-14-2009, 03:39 PM
My point is this: if Toronto FC does actually make the playoffs this year my concern is that all the deficiencies will be conveniently swept under the carpet in the ensuing euphoria. Surely prudence suggests it would be beneficial, in the medium to long term, for this team to spend the winter taking a long, hard look in the mirror and addressing the clear and present problems.

that's what I've been saying since Saturday; I don't want us to sneak into the last playoff spot and then go calling this season 'a success' because we lucked into the playoffs. If we don't make the playoffs, maybe someone will have to be held accountable for the poor results of the season? Who would that person be? Well I'd say start at the top.

Beach_Red
10-14-2009, 03:40 PM
He makes sense. It's not about making the playoffs or winning the MLS cup. It's about improving and playing good soccer.

No, it is about winning the cup. ;)

Parkdale
10-14-2009, 03:42 PM
TFC has improved every season, according to the points awarded for wins and ties.

yes we have improved, but not as much as we we should have (we told to expect).
Jim Brennan and other people in the organization said the goals this year were to
win the Voyagers Cup and make the playoffs. We got lucky with the V-Cup and
would have to be very lucky to make the playoffs. I want a team to EARN a playoff spot,
not to just squeak in there and call it a day.

Beach_Red
10-14-2009, 03:44 PM

I want to get into the playoffs and win the MLS Cup. I don't want to "wait til next year."

If TFC made the playoffs and MLS Cup, I would rejoice, not think "Oh, but what about next year??? Is this a mirage???" I'd enjoy the experience of making it that far in just 3 seasons.

That's the thing about a parity league, success often comes in cycles and you have to take any success when you can. Especially as more teams are added to this league, the chance of any kind of sustained dynasty becomes less and less.

Hey, the Phillies might win it all again this year, or it might be another 30 years. It could be a long time before the Colts or Green Bay win another Super Bowl.

And we can all hope Columbus have won their last MLS Cup.