PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Wednesday,Oct.14

denime
10-14-2009, 05:31 AM
Mornin'

Big Week Ahead (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20091013&content_id=7447348&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Wynne Could Return on Thursday (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20091013&content_id=7447832&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Late-game hiccups undermining TFC (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/othersports/2009/10/14/11392901-sun.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

DOMIN8R
10-14-2009, 06:22 AM
Mornin' D. Let's hope RSL lose tonight.

Jay P
10-14-2009, 06:51 AM
Danny dichio will be on BT in a few minutes doing soccer drills w/ the live eye

Oldtimer
10-14-2009, 07:01 AM
Argos for sale:

Toronto Argonauts co-owners Howard Sokolowski and David Cynamon are considering putting the CFL club up for sale, the duo confirmed in an interview with The Globe and Mail.http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/argonauts-co-owners-mull-selling-the-team/article1322649/

Bad news, if MLSE buys the franchise and moves it to BMO Field.

Mind you, they probably won't. The Argos are losing money, or breaking even at best, even with a great lease at the Rogers Centre, and MLSE exists to make profits. Even MLSE may not be able to turn them around. They couldn't do it with the Marlies. Plus the costs of retrofitting BMO Field are prohibitive.

Fort York Redcoat
10-14-2009, 07:05 AM
Holy crap that was fast. The Argos were thought to have the best ownership they had for eons. Move to York finally, p&t.

scooter
10-14-2009, 07:11 AM
mornin d

ensco
10-14-2009, 07:23 AM
Holy crap that was fast. The Argos were thought to have the best ownership they had for eons. Move to York finally, p&t.

It's smoke and mirrors. Cynamon and Sokolowski are rich, but they didn't pay a dime for the team. All they are doing is funding losses. Everyone is the CFL has always hope that these two would "catch the bug" and put some real money into the team. Obviously it has never happened.

ensco
10-14-2009, 07:27 AM
Argos for sale:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/argonauts-co-owners-mull-selling-the-team/article1322649/

Mind you, they probably won't. The Argos are losing money, or breaking even at best, even with a great lease at the Rogers Centre, and MLSE exists to make profits. Even MLSE may not be able to turn them around. They couldn't do it with the Marlies. Plus the costs of retrofitting BMO Field are prohibitive.

Not much chance of this. MLSE invested a lot of political capital in getting grass at BMO and is now re-committed to soccer-only use at BMO, at least for some period of years.

Also, there is very, very bad blood between one of the Argo owners and one of the key MLSE decision makers.

Red CB Toronto
10-14-2009, 08:16 AM
I am not surprised that MLSE and Rogers would be the first mentioned if the Argos came up for sale, a lot of the Argos costs could be eliminated if one of these two sports powers bought the team, since much of their opperation would be streamlined.

Looking back at when the proposal to build a stadium was tabled to the three levels of government, I am really surprised the question of if a Canadian football field would fit was never brought up, I think when public money is spent on a facility it has to have as many uses as possible. I think a lot of the issues that have been brought up by us supporters would not have existed if the stadium was built for both soccer and football right out of the gate. But hey if MLSE were to buy the Argos a move to BMO for sure would be in the cards.

rocker
10-14-2009, 08:48 AM
makes sense for Rogers to buy the Argos. They already have them as a tenant... that would then solve the worry about moving to BMO Field.... They'd definitely be staying at Skydome then.

C.Ronaldo
10-14-2009, 08:54 AM
rogers wants nfl

rocker
10-14-2009, 09:02 AM
they can do both. argos start earlier.. then when both are underway, you have argos on sat, bills on sun.

SilverSamurai
10-14-2009, 10:11 AM
Move the Argo's out east. Then they def. won't come to BMO!

But seriously, I think a CFL team would do well out east. Maybe in Halifax or possibly Moncton since it's the hub for the maritimes...

Bars92
10-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Not this shite again..:(

jabbronies
10-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Argos are a dying cause. The fact is that people are not going to watch them...even when they are winning they can't draw good numbers like they used to.

Beach_Red
10-14-2009, 10:44 AM
Argos are a dying cause. The fact is that people are not going to watch them...even when they are winning they can't draw good numbers like they used to.

A big part of that is the Dome, though. If Rogers buy the Argos they can be seen as saving the CFL and they could still get the Bills - Toronto is a big enough city for both, they don't play that many games. They could sell ticket packages that include both and that kind of thing.

Then they could build their own "football only" stadium up at Downsview and make it something really special, the centre of football in Canada - have university and high school football there, the Vanier Cup and so on.

Roogsy
10-14-2009, 10:56 AM
A big part of that is the Dome, though. If Rogers buy the Argos they can be seen as saving the CFL and they could still get the Bills - Toronto is a big enough city for both, they don't play that many games. They could sell ticket packages that include both and that kind of thing.

Then they could build their own "football only" stadium up at Downsview and make it something really special, the centre of football in Canada - have university and high school football there, the Vanier Cup and so on.

This makes so much sense...sort of a idea built upon the Alouettes successful model. Right now, the Argos setup does not work at all. They are an afterthough despite being the oldest professional sports team in Toronto.

I have nothing against the Argos. I never got into the CFL but I can appreciate that there is a market for them here. Just keep them out of BMO Field. Have a plan. It seems that team hasn't had one in years.

Bars92
10-14-2009, 12:08 PM

The CFL will continue to exist in the rest of the country regardless of what Rogers and the Argos do. A big part of the dome is that you can buy dirt cheap tickets, if they build a new ground, they will be charging an arm and a leg for tickets. The reason Montreal worked was because there was an existing stadium at the university. I think everything really depends on what Rogers wants to do with this NFL experiement.

C.Ronaldo
10-14-2009, 12:26 PM
they can do both. argos start earlier.. then when both are underway, you have argos on sat, bills on sun.

and then the CFL can officially be called the the NFL farm league

Cashcleaner
10-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Argos for sale:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/argonauts-co-owners-mull-selling-the-team/article1322649/

I don't think MLSE would be interested. And if they were, there's no way they would come to BMO Field now that a grass surface has just been agreed upon.

Also, the Argos aren't losing money though, nor are they just breaking even. They're still enjoying some of the best attendance in decades and along with the rest of the league are getting some good money from TSN for the broadcast rights. Of course, that may be a different story next year given how much of a shitty season they're having right now. Personally, I don't ever see that team leaving Rogers Centre.

And because its obligatory - Toronto will NEVER get its own NFL team. Actually, it could very well get a team, but it won't last very long in the city.

Oldtimer
10-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Also, the Argos aren't losing money though, nor are they just breaking even. They're still enjoying some of the best attendance in decades and along with the rest of the league are getting some good money from TSN for the broadcast rights.

from the article:

Though the Argos' revenues have since improved significantly, the team reaps little revenue beyond ticket sales at Rogers Centre, making break-even an annual challenge.Sorry Cash, I know you're a CFL fan, but I think you're wrong on this one.

Bars92
10-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Personally, I don't ever see that team leaving Rogers Centre.

And because its obligatory - Toronto will NEVER get its own NFL team. Actually, it could very well get a team, but it won't last very long in the city.

Couldn't do any worse than Jacksonville.

I agree with you on the Argos ever leaving the Dome tho.

Cashcleaner
10-14-2009, 10:49 PM
from the article:

Sorry Cash, I know you're a CFL fan, but I think you're wrong on this one.

Well, all I can say is that what I've been reading is contradictory to the article. Maybe things have really changed for them. :noidea:

I'd wager Rogers comes in and picks up the team.

Toronto Gunner
10-16-2009, 09:22 AM
The TFC site says that Amado is back tonight for tomorrow's game, but according to this article, the Hondurans have been 'asked' to stay in the country for a world cup qualifying party:

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Honduran-junta-orders-Wilson-Palacios-to-miss-Spurs-game-article190203.html

Hopefully he's back.