PDA

View Full Version : It's Called Football - CIS draft in MLS?

It's Called Football
10-13-2009, 10:20 AM
We get into Toronto FC's playoff hopes, Don Garber's comments he would consider moving to the FIFA calendar and the USL-1 final.

Also Gary Miller, president of Bryst International player development and Pat Nearing, head coach of Dalhousie University, join It's Called Football to discuss the plans to bring a CIS draft to MLS, the need for the CSA to recognize the elite academies and discuss where Canadian talent ranks compared to the U.S.

http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/blog/post/338495

Our daily show is also up \/

World Cup qualifying, MLS weekend recap, Asmir Begovic

http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/blog/post/338512

Cheers

prizby
10-13-2009, 10:33 AM
i know we like talking about Canadian football (soccer)...why do we never discuss CIS soccer as in results, who's doing well, who looks good, who looks bad (like always) RMC lol...

Cambridge_Red
10-13-2009, 10:51 AM
Maybe BK should write an article about the Dufferin Gate because that's journalism. ... Oh wait he did.

Kaz
10-13-2009, 10:56 AM
i know we like talking about Canadian football (soccer)...why do we never discuss CIS soccer as in results, who's doing well, who looks good, who looks bad (like always) RMC lol...

LoL I'm ok with RMC looking bad ;) so long as they fix the program to train a few lifers rather then the minimum service and then out group... :)

Yohan
10-13-2009, 11:01 AM
LoL I'm ok with RMC looking bad ;) so long as they fix the program to train a few lifers rather then the minimum service and then out group... :)
off topic, but most full time military members do initial 5 years (or whatever the length of their initial contract is) and quit, so i dont see why RMC cadets would change too (though I'd like to pay a visit to RMC to kick all the moron cadets in the teeth)

interesting comments from the show. I agree that stability is needed in coaching position, but considering that the players does not want to listen to Cummins right now, what reason are there that the players will listen to Cummins next season? seems to me that the players have lost confidence in CC...

CIS... uhm. how many good players have come CIS? and why would NCAA and USSF allow CIS to get in MLS draft...

Kaz
10-13-2009, 11:13 AM
off topic, but most full time military members do initial 5 years (or whatever the length of their initial contract is) and quit, so i dont see why RMC cadets would change too (though I'd like to pay a visit to RMC to kick all the moron cadets in the teeth)

interesting comments from the show. I agree that stability is needed in coaching position, but considering that the players does not want to listen to Cummins right now, what reason are there that the players will listen to Cummins next season? seems to me that the players have lost confidence in CC...

CIS... uhm. how many good players have come CIS? and why would NCAA and USSF allow CIS to get in MLS draft...

I think a CIS draft option would be interesting, but the Canadian Universities would really need to up their training programs the best players still go to the states. I just don't see that occurring in the Canadian system.

and as for the off topic I realize, I meant get more of them wanting to do more then just the 5 years.. I wrote that really badly.

prizby
10-13-2009, 11:47 AM

francisco bruno (AM) of york, yannis something (CB) of uoft and Scott Cliff (GK) of Laurentian are some real good players

Cashcleaner
10-13-2009, 01:02 PM
It be great if the CIS was involved in the draft, though I do think its a bit unfortunate that the university soccer we have up here is miles apart from the system down in the states with NCAA. Definitely a good sign if MLS is wanting to get involved, though.

CretanBull
10-13-2009, 01:09 PM
There's a massive gap between NCAA and European academy systems, and an equally massive gap between CIS and NCAA...who would 'waste' a draft pick on a CIS player?

UltraSuperMegaMo
10-13-2009, 01:16 PM
I hope the league just forgets about drafts all together and focuses on their academies. I've watched CIS and NCAA games and while both systems have players with talent, playing for a CIS or NCAA program effectively puts a players capacity for development to the professional level on hold for the length of the program.

I know, I know, "Look at all the great draft picks we had this year!". I would answer that in two ways: 1) 1st round talent is by fair and away unrepresentative of the talent in the NCAA player pool. 2) The player's performances are being viewed through really thick roses coloured glasses.

TFC07
10-13-2009, 04:29 PM
CIS sucks! Besides, our good youth players end up playing in NCAA or in Europe anyway.

BTW how come CIS don't include college teams?

Antifa Bhoy
10-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Maybe BK should write an article about the Dufferin Gate because that's journalism. ... Oh wait he did.
:smilielol5:

Rudi
10-13-2009, 09:23 PM
"BK" does many things.

Onward is his blog. CP is his journalism job.

You'd be well served to learn the difference between the two.

polak9pete
10-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Andrea Lombardo plays for York and he's got a few goals this season.

Jamaal Smith (from the open tryouts) is on York too.

Cashcleaner
10-13-2009, 10:47 PM
CIS sucks! Besides, our good youth players end up playing in NCAA or in Europe anyway.

BTW how come CIS don't include college teams?

Its certainly not the greatest organization at the moment, but it really looks like they are making some positive strides as a whole. CIS hockey has gotten mad private-sector cash recently.

Cambridge_Red
10-14-2009, 02:52 AM
"BK" does many things.

Onward is his blog. CP is his journalism job.

You'd be well served to learn the difference between the two.

Not really.

TorCanSoc
10-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Jamaal Smith (from the open tryouts) is on York too.

Krykie there is a name from the past! That photo-op, cash-grab, scam they called an open tryout. I just wished I went. I wanted to wear my superman costume, and talk in a thick generic fake European accent. I would've made the papers.. in a bad way. But still.

VPjr
10-16-2009, 02:15 PM
this is what I posted on V's yesterday:

what is really the point of CIS players being drafted if those draft picks don't get some kind of guaranteed contract? If I'm a CIS player with any level of quality, I'd much prefer to be a free agent and have the opportunity to pick my spots. I'd love to see the abolition of the draft in its entirety. At most, 1 round and that's it and all 1st rounders get a guaranteed 3 year deal.

IMO, what is needed in order to expose more Canadian players to MLS teams is a uniquely Canadian combine. The biggest hinderance for Canadian talent is that they often have no contacts that can help expose them to MLS (or USL) teams. Canadian players are, by and large, unknown quantities. No one in MLS or USL ever gets a chance to see what they can do because their games aren't on TV. CSL has better TV exposure than CIS or CCAA.

I suggest establishing an event whereby the best Canadian university and college players would come together to show what they can do in front of invited scouts and then that might open alot of eyes (or course, it might not...maybe the scouts would come up and be sorely disappointed). Personally, I wouldn't want to see it limited just to players in post secondary soccer programs because there are ALOT of quality players that are not involved in those programs but even if it was limited to just CIS and CCAA, that would be a good start.

RedsYNWA
10-16-2009, 06:50 PM
There is more talent in high schools in Ontario than there is in university

Carts
10-16-2009, 06:54 PM
There is more talent in high schools in Ontario than there is in university

100% Correct...

The top kids are recruited, and recruited young & aggressively to go to university in the NCAA...

And, its a win-win situation for the kid/student/player - as a full ride to a NCAA Division I school is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars...

Even a partial scholly or financial aid to a Division III school is worth thousands as the family usually pays the school about the cost of Canadian tuition while the scholly/aid pays for the rest. Cost effective for the parents, experience of a lifetime & education for the player...

Carts...