PDA

View Full Version : There should be sanctions against the San Jose Players

Roogsy
10-11-2009, 12:35 AM
This isn't sour grapes again San Jose. I would not be upset with them if they came here in won the game. That's their job.

However, upon scoring the tying goal...the players IMMEDIATELY went over to the North End Elite corner and goaded them into a reaction. I immediately worried about what a bad idea this was. And one of the players (I don't know which one...since San Jose is full of no-names and hacks) clearly gives the fans the double finger.

NEE was probably riding them all game long. That's what they are supposed to do. These are (supposedly) professional athletes. They are supposed to take it. Running to celebrate into the NEE corner and then demonstrating a lack of respect with vulgar mannerisms should elicit a response from the league. And if it doesn't...the league is a farce.

Whoop
10-11-2009, 12:39 AM
Much like Joe Cannon at the end of game giving the south end the shush. If someone pelted him with a beer - I would have looked the other way.

AL-MO
10-11-2009, 12:42 AM
I'd like to see what some of the NEE guys have to say about this!

AL-MO
10-11-2009, 12:43 AM
Much like Joe Cannon at the end of game giving the south end the shush. If someone pelted him with a beer - I would have looked the other way.

Totally.

v00d00daddy
10-11-2009, 12:45 AM
TFC shit the bed late in the game, again.....when it mattered most. That's all I care about and I am not offended by SJ players giving us the finger.

Cannon looked at the south end, laughed and waved goodbye at the end of the game and I wasn't upset at all.

I wasn't upset because I was too busy being upset about TFC's performance.

v00d00daddy
10-11-2009, 12:46 AM

Totally.

classy.

AL-MO
10-11-2009, 12:49 AM
classy.

Sometimes players get what is coming to them.

No where else in the world would you get away with flipping off the crowd when you are away from home.

GeorgeB
10-11-2009, 12:51 AM
I'd like to see what some of the NEE guys have to say about this!honestly,a couple of guys threw beer's(i wish i had some to throw btw)and we were all fucking enraged. i even ran down from row 10 and was contemplating throwing my shoes ! LOL ! that shit is unacceptible ! i dont know how no one didnt jump the rail and lay a beating on those douches (i was definately thinking about it). we always give it good to the subs but i think this one (Glen)took it personally LOL.anyways ,we wont forget that disrespect.;)

AL-MO
10-11-2009, 12:55 AM
honestly,a couple of guys threw beer's(i wish i had some to throw btw)and we were all fucking enraged. i even ran down from row 10 and was contemplating throwing my shoes ! LOL ! that shit is unacceptible ! i dont know how no one didnt jump the rail and lay a beating on those douches (i was definately thinking about it). we always give it good to the subs but i think this one (Glen)took it personally LOL.anyways ,we wont forget that disrespect.;)

Beckerman flipped us off twice in Charleston. Not for anything in particular, just that we were giving him the usual hard time. I won't soon forget that either.

GeorgeB
10-11-2009, 12:57 AM
mls needs to make an example of this guy.a player should not be able to taunt like that.

Blizzard
10-11-2009, 12:59 AM
This isn't sour grapes again San Jose. I would not be upset with them if they came here in won the game. That's their job.

However, upon scoring the tying goal...the players IMMEDIATELY went over to the North End Elite corner and goaded them into a reaction. I immediately worried about what a bad idea this was. And one of the players (I don't know which one...since San Jose is full of no-names and hacks) clearly gives the fans the double finger.

NEE was probably riding them all game long. That's what they are supposed to do. These are (supposedly) professional athletes. They are supposed to take it. Running to celebrate into the NEE corner and then demonstrating a lack of respect with vulgar mannerisms should elicit a response from the league. And if it doesn't...the league is a farce.

I'm glad you brought this up. Yes, the finger was definitely given to the NEE by one of the SJ subs in a warm-up vest.

I too wondered about the wisdom of running directly into the teeth of some of the more unpredictable TFC supporters.

Goading and teasing the NEE (or any other supporters) in such a way is a recipe for disaster. When it occurred in the Premiership, one Mr. Adeboyer was fined £25,000 and suspended for two games.

No, it is not exactly the same thing but it would not have surprised me one iota if a few folks had hurdled the railings and gone for those SJ players. It would have been wrong but it could have happened.

A fine is definitely order. It is indefensible. I don't think TFC would let this happen without a suitable response so I'm betting that the league has already been informed of what happened and that the video has been forwarded to the head office.

As for the keeper, that was pretty minor. Stuff like that happens all the time but the double finger while taunting the supporters in the face ... that is something else.

B

Dirk Diggler
10-11-2009, 01:04 AM
This happens in other leagues all the time as well ... unless it is under extremely special circumstances (i.e Celtic v Ranger) shit like this generally tends to go unpunished. I don't think I'll start calling the MLS front office a farce if they do not hand out fines for this.

Plus, didn't Serioux give us the finger as well last season? I don't think anything came of it.

Kevvv
10-11-2009, 01:13 AM
I too wondered about the wisdom of running directly into the teeth of some of the more unpredictable TFC supporters.

Capital L, capital O, capital L

It will be interesting to see the league's response.

T.O TILL I DIE
10-11-2009, 01:18 AM
i was right nect to the NEE supporter group every1 went crazy when those dumbasses went to us !

Blizzard
10-11-2009, 01:19 AM
Capital L, capital O, capital L

It will be interesting to see the league's response.

.... or lack thereof.

GeorgeB
10-11-2009, 01:21 AM
.... or lack thereof.most likely

Roogsy
10-11-2009, 01:36 AM
The league would be stupid not to respond. For one, it would send a message to the supporters that when something like this happens "don't do anything, we will take care of it". If they don't act, they in essence leave themselves open to supporters taking things into their own hands because they have no confidence the league will do anything.

Anyways...it's all there on tape for them. It's crystal clear on video about the taunting and it's even more clear with the finger.

I am not offended myself. I could care less. Someone giving me the finger isn't going to really affect my life. But this is about the league insisting it's players act professionally. Shushing the fans is all in good fun. Once you drive a stake into our hearts and then immediately pull an Adebayor and run right in front (literally feet) in the face of a supporter's section...you're an idiot and should be fined. There are at least 2 or 3 players that need to be sanctioned in some way.

FOGES
10-11-2009, 01:46 AM
doubt there will be any action by the league. however, my faith in the league remains despite the thought that if it were a TFC player flashing middle fingers, they'd be indefinately suspended and fined.

Super
10-11-2009, 01:47 AM
mls needs to make an example of this guy.a player should not be able to taunt like that.

Not unless the league is willing to allow us to go fucking nuts on the fucking shit guy!

Cashcleaner
10-11-2009, 02:27 AM

M'eh. I know what you're saying, but like you said, NEE was probably riding their players all game - like any good supporters would, and personally I wouldn't feel all that bad if they returned some of the harsh feelings. I know the reason for disallowing players to mock fans is primarily one of security and crowd control, but I'm not a big fan of the double standard, you know what I mean?

Antifa Bhoy
10-11-2009, 02:40 AM
was capoing in 127 today. The players were receiving some abuse with the usual banter:

"you're not playing (cause you're shit)"
"Why don't you go home, why don't you go home, you are the worst team, that we've ever known"
"5 more douche bags"

and were receiving a large amount of harassment all game about how they were wearing parkas, winter hats and winter jackets. anyways the player scored, and immiediately bee lined for us. he got about 5 feet from the railing where myself and about 10 other NEE in the front row were trying to get over the railing to him, mainly because we thought he was coming for our banner.

he and another sub gave us the v's which only made it worse with another player shushing us. then the beers from mid 127 and 126 came raining down (can't blame them), about 2 or 3 making direct hit with the players. probably about 40 - 50 people rushed down the section, and i can honestly say that it was very close to having a lot of people invading the pitch to chase the players.

cops had a terrified look on their faces, later to only explain that they were seriously concerned for the players (and their own) safety, but thanked us for not actually going over. None of the security or police even attempted to identify the people who through beers (wasn't any NEE members) but even if they had seen someone throw a beer in the confusion that followed, they didn't seem to be to sympathetic to the players complaints and gave no one in our section any hassle.

cesar had sent an email to MLS officials including some commissioners and other very high up people in the MLS. He frantically came running to the section when he realised what was about to happen...think he even got a picture of it that he included in the email from his blackberry where he demanded immediate action against the san jose players. (he showed us the phone with the sent message).

I would expect that sometime tomorrow or tuesday we could see some sort of press release from MLS about this event.

Antifa Bhoy
10-11-2009, 02:42 AM
M'eh. I know what you're saying, but like you said, NEE was probably riding their players all game - like any good supporters would, and personally I wouldn't feel all that bad if they returned some of the harsh feelings. I know the reason for disallowing players to mock fans is primarily one of security and crowd control, but I'm not a big fan of the double standard, you know what I mean?

professional players are paid very well to take the abuse, and it is against league rules for very obvious reasons.

Antifa Bhoy
10-11-2009, 02:49 AM
TFC shit the bed late in the game, again.....when it mattered most. That's all I care about and I am not offended by SJ players giving us the finger.

Cannon looked at the south end, laughed and waved goodbye at the end of the game and I wasn't upset at all.

I wasn't upset because I was too busy being upset about TFC's performance.

when that same player runs up to your face and gives you the finger, we'll see how little you care :rolleyes:

Cashcleaner
10-11-2009, 02:50 AM
^^ It's true and you make a good point. I think we're all big boys though, if we dish it out, I don't see why we can't take it. But yes, it's discouraged out of fear things could escalate.

Antifa Bhoy
10-11-2009, 02:52 AM
^^ It's true and you make a good point. I think we're all big boys though, if we dish it out, I don't see why we can't take it. But yes, it's discouraged out of fear things could escalate.

not a matter of us "not being able to take it", but more of the players should be ready to accept to consequence of when they cross the line in the sand. anyways, time for bed. going to wake up tomorrow and see if i can forget about the Disaster In Toronto 2009.

Blizzard
10-11-2009, 02:56 AM
was capoing in 127 today. The players were receiving some abuse with the usual banter:

"you're not playing (cause you're shit)"
"Why don't you go home, why don't you go home, you are the worst team, that we've ever known"
"5 more douche bags"

and were receiving a large amount of harassment all game about how they were wearing parkas, winter hats and winter jackets. anyways the player scored, and immiediately bee lined for us. he got about 5 feet from the railing where myself and about 10 other NEE in the front row were trying to get over the railing to him, mainly because we thought he was coming for our banner.

he and another sub gave us the v's which only made it worse with another player shushing us. then the beers from mid 127 and 126 came raining down (can't blame them), about 2 or 3 making direct hit with the players. probably about 40 - 50 people rushed down the section, and i can honestly say that it was very close to having a lot of people invading the pitch to chase the players.

cops had a terrified look on their faces, later to only explain that they were seriously concerned for the players (and their own) safety, but thanked us for not actually going over. None of the security or police even attempted to identify the people who through beers (wasn't any NEE members) but even if they had seen someone throw a beer in the confusion that followed, they didn't seem to be to sympathetic to the players complaints and gave no one in our section any hassle.

cesar had sent an email to MLS officials including some commissioners and other very high up people in the MLS. He frantically came running to the section when he realised what was about to happen...think he even got a picture of it that he included in the email from his blackberry where he demanded immediate action against the san jose players. (he showed us the phone with the sent message).

I would expect that sometime tomorrow or tuesday we could see some sort of press release from MLS about this event.

It certainly does sound like we were a hair's breadth away from a bit of "situation".

Good on CV1 for being on the ball. With his experience in the Mexican league, he's seen it all.

Perhaps something really does have to happen before the league takes this type of thing seriously.

Yes, while there is a double-standard as was mentioned in this thread, the truth is that supporters are clients while the players are employees. The players were over the line and this could have been a major black eye for the league if those fences had been hurdled.

Blizzard
10-11-2009, 02:57 AM

.... and they almost did.

ilikemusic
10-11-2009, 03:23 AM

So what does that make our big-time players? :(

Fiin
10-11-2009, 06:11 AM
It was one of the stupidest things I have seen a sub do in a long time.. after effectivly ending our season he runs up to our corner and starts taunting us.. the only thing I think that saved his ass was our respect for Cesar and Metro Police, because I can guarentee you the second 1 person was over that rail, 50 of us would have been.

Stupid, stupid, stupid... I agree, this is exactly what Adebayor did and should be punished as such.

Yohan
10-11-2009, 06:14 AM
thank goodness there wasn't a huge incident over this

last thing we need right now is some hooligan newspaper articles. good on NEE for keeping their cool

mastermixer
10-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Didnt Adebayor get a couple of games suspension for running to celebrate in front of the Chelsea fans a couple of weeks ago?

TFC Cityboy
10-11-2009, 08:47 AM
2 games suspended ban for celebrating in front of Arsenal

trane
10-11-2009, 08:57 AM
These are the kind of instances were I would have justified any reaction by the NEE.

But honestly it is TFC that let our supporters down once again.

Gixmo
10-11-2009, 09:51 AM

Oh ya, The double finger caught my eye like no tomorrow, I am working on the freeze frame of my TV of it, Very clera to see in HD!

And good on the NEE for keeping it straight, I sat forward with the facepalm expecting a melee to ensue, Good job!

Carts
10-11-2009, 09:55 AM

Where's that guy from the PR match who launched a beer from the top of 114 or 115 and hit the keeper right on the head...

We needed him yesterday...

Carts...

v00d00daddy
10-11-2009, 10:05 AM
when that same player runs up to your face and gives you the finger, we'll see how little you care :rolleyes:

I would tell him to go fuck himself or something like that but to suugest that I would throw a beer at him or jump the rail to get at him is funny. Not gonna happen. I'm not 12 years old.

I am very happy that cooler heads prevailed. The last thing this team needs is a failed playoff push followed by front page hooligan media pieces.

Not to mention that anybody who jumped the rail to get at the SJ players would lose their TFC tickets for sure.

Cannon
10-11-2009, 10:13 AM
Oh ya, The double finger caught my eye like no tomorrow, I am working on the freeze frame of my TV of it, Very clera to see in HD!

And good on the NEE for keeping it straight, I sat forward with the facepalm expecting a melee to ensue, Good job!

When you get the screen cap Gixmo make sure it gets posted on every blog, soccer website, supporters forum and in about 20 threads on big soccer. The more publicity the photo receives the more pressure it puts on the MLS to do something about it.

Azerban
10-11-2009, 10:44 AM
If nothing comes of this, NEE just needs to remember to bring extra batteries.

You know, for their cameras, so they can get more pictures.

Cashcleaner
10-11-2009, 10:59 AM
If nothing comes of this, NEE just needs to remember to bring extra batteries.

You know, for their cameras, so they can get more pictures.

LOL! Nice one. :D

TFCtoMUFC
10-11-2009, 11:01 AM
I'm glad you brought this up. Yes, the finger was definitely given to the NEE by one of the SJ subs in a warm-up vest.

Goading and teasing the NEE (or any other supporters) in such a way is a recipe for disaster. When it occurred in the Premiership, one Mr. Adeboyer was fined £25,000 and suspended for two games.

No, it is not exactly the same thing but it would not have surprised me one iota if a few folks had hurdled the railings and gone for those SJ players. It would have been wrong but it could have happened.

A fine is definitely order. It is indefensible. I don't think TFC would let this happen without a suitable response so I'm betting that the league has already been informed of what happened and that the video has been forwarded to the head office.

As for the keeper, that was pretty minor. Stuff like that happens all the time but the double finger while taunting the supporters in the face ... that is something else.

B

THe difference is Adebayor ran the whole way down the field. NEE was right there. This guy is a nobody and needs his time in the spot light. So screw him why should we care. He's a classless loser and most likely won't get anywhere in footy. So he flipped some guys off, its not like he killed someone. I think on this one we just need to think that this year we have a chance at the playoffs and they have no chance. They suck, he sucks, they're losers, he's a loser.

Erkan16
10-11-2009, 11:02 AM
in my opinon, SJ scored late to tie it so good for them. not like our players who cant hold a lead for shit.

and as someone said before, Cannon turned around and waved us goodbye. I was not upset either because they didnt give up.

TFCtoMUFC
10-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Where's that guy from the PR match who launched a beer from the top of 114 or 115 and hit the keeper right on the head...

We needed him yesterday...

Carts...

I wouldn't have punished that guy. Maybe a high five and picture with him. Launching a beer like 20 some odd rows and hitting a guy right in the head. Thats skill at its best right there.

H Bomb
10-11-2009, 11:38 AM
whoooooooooooooo cares. People always looking for things to be insulted about. Who cares. stop caring folks, wasting your time....first post in weeks...see you all in weeks

billyfly
10-11-2009, 11:43 AM
I still remember the Mtl Can championship game from last year. I wanted one of our guys to break that Limp Act player's leg.

Bobo
10-11-2009, 11:52 AM

I fled 113 at HT and watched the second half from 127. The guys were no worse than usual, the typical "you're shit and you know you are" chant was started when the group of subs started warming up but for the last 10 minutes we just carried on with, I think it was TFC Allez. Certainly didn't warrant what the chooch did. I'm not usually happy to see beer flying onto the ground but the SJ players were lucky that's all that did.

Bottom line here is that MLS players can't handle passionate fans. Professionals learn to handle it but I often find myself questioning if you can consider 90% of the players in this league professional. How often are we taunted after conceding? I'll give you a few examples: Vancouver, Montreal and PR. See something in common? USL.

djcuse
10-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Running to celebrate into the NEE corner and then demonstrating a lack of respect with vulgar mannerisms should elicit a response from the league. And if it doesn't...the league is a farce.

And the NEE never provided any vulgar chanting throughout the game.??
I have no problem with what the player did... He has every right as do the fans..

If you start dishing it out, be prepared to receive it back...

Roogsy
10-11-2009, 12:00 PM
I have no problem with what the player did... He has every right as do the fans..

Actually you couldn't be more wrong.

The league does have rules about this for players, and these rules need to be enforced, it's just a matter whether or not they will.

The reason Adebayor pulled the "full pitch sprint" was also because the Arsenal supporters were riding him and after he did what he did, he was sanctioned. So thank goodness you are not running the FA, you'd get that wrong as well.

We supporters "ride" players, that is what we do. Players are supposed to take it. When they are visiting players they should expect it. Crossing that line where players intentionally provoke the supporters into reacting even MORE goes beyond expected behavior at the stadium during a game.

onemanbarmyarmy
10-11-2009, 12:10 PM
I believe the league has rules about vulgar language in the crowd but when that is brought up you say it is also wrong. Always want it both ways don't you?

kitchener-TFC
10-11-2009, 12:14 PM
As soon as I saw the double finger, I turned off the tv. That's unacceptable.

Dirk Diggler
10-11-2009, 12:17 PM
I believe the league has rules about vulgar language in the crowd but when that is brought up you say it is also wrong. Always want it both ways don't you?

LOL well said.

And I have to agree with Cashcleaner ... if you dish shit out, you don't get to be on a moral high horse ... you better be willing to receive shit too. I wonder how people will react if a couple of those guys are signed by TFC next season ... will they be "forgiven" like Serioux was for his transgression or are people going to protest their signings.

ArmenJBX
10-11-2009, 12:20 PM
What did Serioux do before? I musta missed that.

Roogsy
10-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Serioux gave NEE the finger. But at the time, it wasn't after a goal that just stuck it into the gut of the supporters and it wasn't with the intensity of this demonstration. It was just sort of walking away with a little jab and the NEE took it in good humour as it was intended. Really..if you're going to cite that as an example, put it in context please...otherwise it's just intentionally misleading.

Players give fans at both ends that kind of treatment all the time and we are ok with it. This time it was different and all of you know it.

Stryker
10-11-2009, 12:34 PM
This is jokes.
Players are disrespected 1000X worse by some fans.

Lennon
10-11-2009, 12:35 PM
I don't understand why people get so mad when players respond to our heckling ...
It means that we're in their head and that can't be a bad thing ...

Could you guys honestly say that if you scored a big goal in the last minute that really fucks the opposition's season you wouldn't react the same way?

Dirk Diggler
10-11-2009, 12:35 PM
I really do not believe NEE took the Serioux finger in good humour when that happened. I recall a lot of people being offended and making similar sort of statements like the ones we are seeing now. At that time, Serioux was viewed as a dickhead for his various on-field antics (i.e. the Beckham tackle) and certainly the finger did not help his reputation.

Yes, it wasn't exactly under the same circumstances but really ... what is more justifiable ... players getting caught in the heat of the moment (against their better judgment) or doing it through the normal course of the game?

cmonyoureds
10-11-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm just pissed the biggest reaction and largest display of passion of sorts came from the opposing team in our building.
it almost looked like they had a greater clue as to what was on the line and what it meant to us that our own friggin team!!!!!

stretchthetruth
10-11-2009, 12:39 PM
IMHO it just shows how much the NEE got to him... players are expected to be 'the bigger person' and take what they get, especially at away games. i figure the league issues a petty fine and everyone moves on.

that said, i've never wanted to express myself physically as much as i did yesterday (since the montreal loss at home anyway) and wouldnt have been surprised to see something tossed - not that it makes it right but yesterday was tough.

cmonyoureds
10-11-2009, 12:43 PM

please please please post this once you have it.
i wanna take a good long look at it when my renewal notice comes through.

Roogsy
10-11-2009, 12:44 PM
I'm just pissed the biggest reaction and largest display of passion of sorts came from the opposing team in our building.
it almost looked like they had a greater clue as to what was on the line and what it meant to us that our own friggin team!!!!!

I have to admit your statement rings unfortunately true. They were so pumped to get the goal. I didn't feel the same intensity in the game from our players.

v00d00daddy
10-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Serioux gave NEE the finger. But at the time, it wasn't after a goal that just stuck it into the gut of the supporters and it wasn't with the intensity of this demonstration. It was just sort of walking away with a little jab and the NEE took it in good humour as it was intended. Really..if you're going to cite that as an example, put it in context please...otherwise it's just intentionally misleading.

Players give fans at both ends that kind of treatment all the time and we are ok with it. This time it was different and all of you know it.

Holy rose coloured glasses.

Took it in good humour?

Context?

Intesity of this demonstration?

What are you talking about?

Have you watched the game in 6? You can see how the player flashes the fingers. It's a split second. Unless he kept giving it to them, I wouldn't exactly describe the demonstration as "intense".

This whole thread just sounds like sour grapes to me.

GBV
10-11-2009, 01:12 PM

yeah...what a fucking loser.
especially when it was his lame-ass decision to not cut off dero's mile-long pass that gave toronto the goal

Roogsy
10-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Holy rose coloured glasses.

Took it in good humour?

Context?

Intesity of this demonstration?

What are you talking about?

Have you watched the game in 6? You can see how the player flashes the fingers. It's a split second. Unless he kept giving it to them, I wouldn't exactly describe the demonstration as "intense".

This whole thread just sounds like sour grapes to me.

And thankfully only you. Everyone else knows it isn't sour grapes. The people I am upset with about the result are the people responsible, our own team.

This isn't about the result of the game, this is about keeping the balance and atmosphere in the stands. And as per usual you don't get it. It's become par for the course.

Blizzard
10-11-2009, 01:39 PM
THe difference is Adebayor ran the whole way down the field. NEE was right there. This guy is a nobody and needs his time in the spot light. So screw him why should we care. He's a classless loser and most likely won't get anywhere in footy. So he flipped some guys off, its not like he killed someone. I think on this one we just need to think that this year we have a chance at the playoffs and they have no chance. They suck, he sucks, they're losers, he's a loser.

Generally speaking, I agree BUT at the same time, it is inciting. IF somebody had been stupid enough to cross the line and jump out of the stands, it is then a very big issue and a black eye for all concerned ... supporters, team and league. We know how the media just love to jump on this tuff.

It's something that can't be condoned and it must be discouraged by the league in some way ... and I'm not pinpointing the brief "shove it" finger flash as such. The goal scorer himself ran virtually up to the front of the section, off the playing surface and closer to the stands than the sign hordings screaming and fist pumping right in their faces.

As others have said, thankfully all hell did not break loose but I expected to see trouble.

rocker
10-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Cornell Glen... journeyman, crap player, barely scores in MLS, fluke goal thanks to TFC's defensive ineptness.

Hope he enjoys the moment in the spotlight, cuz his career will be over in a few years. He can barely see the field for SJ after an inability to stick with 4 other MLS teams... a guy who played for a team called Ma Pau SC before San jose... hahahah

I guess you have to allow the guy to have some excitement in his life ;)

Blizzard
10-11-2009, 01:46 PM
2 games suspended ban for celebrating in front of Arsenal

Was he not also fined £25,000. Big money!

Carts
10-11-2009, 01:46 PM
The guy who double-fingered was a sub / some nobody...

Lets be honest, we dish it out - we need to be able to take it...

If he got a "BMO Shower" I wouldn't have been dissapointed...

Carts...

Blizzard
10-11-2009, 01:48 PM

That's a fine theory but it ignores the fact that it can lead to other problems.

Remember, the spectators pay to be there. The players are paid to be there. He does not have every right to do what he did.

If he incites an incident (as I've already said in this thread), it is a black eye for all concerned and MLS has to watch out for this type of thing or else it will escalate.

Roogsy
10-11-2009, 01:49 PM
The guy who double-fingered was a sub / some nobody...

Lets be honest, we dish it out - we need to be able to take it...

If he got a "BMO Shower" I wouldn't have been dissapointed...

Carts...

And that's the problem Carts. If the league doesn't do something about this, then somebody WILL give him the "BMO Shower" and deservedly so. But most of us refuse to see the eventual consequences of that.

Nets in the supporters stands. Or worse if some supporter does something stupid. Are you willing to vouch for every single person in the south stands or in 127? You don't think someone eventually won't do something we will ALL pay for?

Because if the league is too chicken to do something about the players, we already know they don't care too much about the supporters.

Blizzard
10-11-2009, 01:50 PM
yeah...what a fucking loser.
especially when it was his lame-ass decision to not cut off dero's mile-long pass that gave toronto the goal

... and then he ranted at his defence. It was all very strange.

TFCtoMUFC
10-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Generally speaking, I agree BUT at the same time, it is inciting. IF somebody had been stupid enough to cross the line and jump out of the stands, it is then a very big issue and a black eye for all concerned ... supporters, team and league. We know how the media just love to jump on this tuff.

It's something that can't be condoned and it must be discouraged by the league in some way ... and I'm not pinpointing the brief "shove it" finger flash as such. The goal scorer himself ran virtually up to the front of the section, off the playing surface and closer to the stands than the sign hordings screaming and fist pumping right in their faces.

As others have said, thankfully all hell did not break loose but I expected to see trouble.

Nothing happened because we have fans that understand whats going on. For the most part I think the supporters understand that when we chant at players the whole game we are bound to get something back. He sucks, we shouldnt care.

King Tut
10-11-2009, 02:06 PM
The San Jose players asked us to "come down" and face them, just like Beckham did with the Riot Squad.

CoachGT
10-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Apparently there is a rule about crossing a line on the edge of the field. Players will get fined for going over it. One of the security guys commented on that yesterday at the game, so I would expect that there may be consequences to the players, although it might not be made public.

Funny that they'd rather taunt TFC supporters than go to the other side of the pitch where a handful of their supporters were.

Pigfynn
10-11-2009, 02:11 PM
The San Jose players asked us to "come down" and face them, just like Beckham did with the Riot Squad.

Unacceptable.

King Tut
10-11-2009, 02:15 PM
It was one of the stupidest things I have seen a sub do in a long time.. after effectivly ending our season he runs up to our corner and starts taunting us.. the only thing I think that saved his ass was our respect for Cesar and Metro Police, because I can guarentee you the second 1 person was over that rail, 50 of us would have been.

Stupid, stupid, stupid... I agree, this is exactly what Adebayor did and should be punished as such.

Adebayor didn't tell the Arsenal fans "Come down" like this Glen cunt did. Yesterday's incident is exactly like Beckham's incident with the Riot Squad against AC Milan, except it was Glen doing it to opposition supporters at an away venue. If there is any consistency, I expect the same penalties against Beckham imposed on this Glen mother fucker!

TFCtoMUFC
10-11-2009, 02:19 PM
Apparently there is a rule about crossing a line on the edge of the field. Players will get fined for going over it. One of the security guys commented on that yesterday at the game, so I would expect that there may be consequences to the players, although it might not be made public.

Funny that they'd rather taunt TFC supporters than go to the other side of the pitch where a handful of their supporters were.

They have supporters?:shocked:

Roogsy
10-11-2009, 02:20 PM
And because the league didn't act against Beckham, now other players are taking advantage as well.

Stupid league always shoots itself in the foot. They HAVE to act but now if they do, it totally looks like favouritism against Becky.

GBV
10-11-2009, 02:24 PM
teams that are used to playing in front of nobody at home pull this shit all the time when they're playing in front of a big crowd which actually, like, cares.
unfortunately, the behavior just screams BUSH LEAGUE.

Macksam
10-11-2009, 02:24 PM
That António Ribeiro guy wasn't too shabby. He had some decent skills holding onto the ball.

rocker
10-11-2009, 03:05 PM
That António Ribeiro guy wasn't too shabby. He had some decent skills holding onto the ball.

ya, wonder why Montreal let him go. but he needs a haircut badly. The Japanese Geisha Girl look is awful.

Rochdale
10-11-2009, 03:26 PM
l have never read so much crap in my life. Copping the bird and the MLS must do something about this. MLS would have a field day with us supporters with the amount of crap we give to the opposing teams at BMO Field.

CoachGT
10-11-2009, 03:31 PM
teams that are used to playing in front of nobody at home pull this shit all the time when they're playing in front of a big crowd which actually, like, cares.
unfortunately, the behavior just screams BUSH LEAGUE.

They usually play to a full house or close to it. Their stadium, Buck Shaw, is a college stadium and seats a lot fewer people than other stadiums around the league.

Roogsy
10-11-2009, 03:33 PM
l have never read so much crap in my life. Copping the bird and the MLS must do something about this. MLS would have a field day with us supporters with the amount of crap we give to the opposing teams at BMO Field.

I guess the FA did the wrong thing in fining Adebayor. They must not know what they are doing and have no rational reason for doing so other than shits and giggles?

Rochdale
10-11-2009, 03:37 PM
l did not see the san jose player run the full length of the ground once he scored. dont compare the Adebayor incident with what happened yesterday.

ensco
10-11-2009, 03:40 PM
I don't usually wade into the security threads (I sit in suitland) but I think people need to recognize a couple of obvious points.

- The taunts become extremely personal very quickly. Is this really such a great idea? The level of vitriol is what got Beckham off, and I suspect will get Glen off. It increases the amount of sympathy the league has for players who feel provoked. Even the EPL only slaps the wrist for this stuff. Remember, a labour war is coming - this is an easy way for the league to earn free points with guys who don't earn much.

- There are still way too many people using the anonymity of the groups to do stupid things (especially throwing pop bottles and beers). I have no idea how to stop it, I know it's taken seriously by anybody serious on here, but it makes it less likely that the league will step in

Stryker
10-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Take this complaint to the league and you're only setting yourselves for further hardships on the supporters.
I humbley suggest you buck up and put your hurt feelings aside.

Antifa Bhoy
10-11-2009, 03:55 PM
l did not see the san jose player run the full length of the ground once he scored. dont compare the Adebayor incident with what happened yesterday.

so if Adebayor scored in the end where the arsenal fans were he would have got a nicer and calmer reaction from the arsenal fans when he slid in front of them? you're pissing in the wind if you think that's true.

wake up buddy. you weren't there in england, and you weren't there in 127. the abuse he received from us wasn't anything he doesn';t get anywhere else he plays in MLS. he ran to us, calling us to jump the railing, and then gave us the v's. even the cops were complaining to cesar about the incident.

get a clue man.

Roogsy
10-11-2009, 03:56 PM

Ah...so running the full pitch is what he did wrong. Is that in the rulebook? Under "limits of distance to cover after scoring" I suppose. I guess it isn't the issue of taunting supporters right in their faces? I am sure that is not it.

Maybe he shouldn't have been fined at all. After all...Adebayor wasn't anywhere NEAR as close as the San Jose players were to 127. I think the FA doesn't know what they are doing. :noidea:

Rochdale
10-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Ah...so running the full pitch is what he did wrong. Is that in the rulebook? Under "limits of distance to cover after scoring" I suppose. I guess it isn't the issue of taunting supporters right in their faces? I am sure that is not it.

Maybe he shouldn't have been fined at all. After all...Adebayor wasn't anywhere NEAR as close as the San Jose players were to 127. I think the FA doesn't know what they are doing. :noidea:

adebayor was booked for unsporting behavior and the player from San jose should've been booked also if the ref had seen it but for fcuk sake people, a player gave the bird. so what. by the way l was in section 125 and saw what happened.

Dub Narcotic
10-11-2009, 04:02 PM
I don't understand why people get so mad when players respond to our heckling ...
It means that we're in their head and that can't be a bad thing ...

Could you guys honestly say that if you scored a big goal in the last minute that really fucks the opposition's season you wouldn't react the same way?

I'm with you, why shouldn't the players respond? If someone was heckling me at work from the cube next door I would respond as well. Frankly, I think it adds excitement to the game.

Antifa Bhoy
10-11-2009, 04:06 PM
I'm with you, why shouldn't the players respond? If someone was heckling me at work from the cube next door I would respond as well. Frankly, I think it adds excitement to the game.

so when customers call to complain, you tell them to fuck off right? your boss sounds cool.

Roogsy
10-11-2009, 04:08 PM
adebayor was booked for unsporting behavior and the player from San jose should've been booked also if the ref had seen it but for fcuk sake people, a player gave the bird. so what. by the way l was in section 125 and saw what happened.

And Adebayor didn't even flip anyone the bird. So if what he did merited a card and a fine...how does that fit your position that it's LESS serious??? :noidea:

Dirk Diggler
10-11-2009, 04:11 PM
The Adebayor incident was a special circumstance because there was so much previous animosity between him and his former club's fanbase. There is certainly a difference between a player going to the closest corner of the stadium from where he was located as opposed to running the length of the pitch to call out the away fans of the team he previously played for.

Also, the FA is hardly consistently harsh on every player involved in stuff like this. I remember Rooney kissing the badge and taunting Everton fans after scoring a goal or something several years ago. Don't think he was suspended or fined for that. So even with incidents between players and their former club's fanbase, the FA is not entirely consistent.

Either way ... I'm not defending what the SJ players did. But as I said earlier, shit happens. If people were truly offended than I suppose they really should have jumped from the stands like the LA Riot Squad guy and confronted players for making the gestures.

Roogsy
10-11-2009, 04:17 PM
The Adebayor incident was a special circumstance because there was so much previous animosity between him and his former club's fanbase. There is certainly a difference between a player going to the closest corner of the stadium from where he was located as opposed to running the length of the pitch to call out the away fans of the team he previously played for.

Also, the FA is hardly consistently harsh on every player involved in stuff like this. I remember Rooney kissing the badge and taunting Everton fans after scoring a goal or something several years ago. Don't think he was suspended or fined for that. So even with incidents between players and their former club's fanbase, the FA is not entirely consistent.

Either way ... I'm not defending what the SJ players did. But as I said earlier, shit happens. If people were truly offended than I suppose they really should have jumped from the stands like the LA Riot Squad guy and confronted players for making the gestures.

You guys are funny.

This isn't a case where either he deserves a $50,000 fine or nothing at all.

It's called grades of severity. Adebayor's brainfart was serious and avoidable and therefore the FA acted. If he did it against Stoke City and didn't run the full pitch, it would have STILL merited a yellow and probably a much lower fine...but the FA would still have acted.

The fundamental issue is that governing bodies around the world know the dangers in having players taunt local fans and discourage it by threatening disciplinary action. This is an open and shut case. The San Jose player is a visiting player and they just scored a playoff-killing goal. To then run to the nearest supporters group and taunt them is to invite trouble. Had this happened in England, that player would get fined. End of story. The question is whether the MLS will. Yes...this was San Jose and not Columbus. And yes it wasn't a former TFC player. But it's not like this game was a general run-of-the-mill match with no implications, and little interest from the fans. That goal pretty much sealed our non-involvement in the playoffs and stuck a knife in every TFC fan's heart. If you watched the game....you tell me if that goal didn't stick in your throat? To then have a player in your face, not 10 feet away, giving you the fist and giving you the finger and NOT call that provocatory? You're taking a piss.

I love it when the argument presented is always "but this isn't EXACTLY the same situation". Like somehow the only way previous examples are ever valid as comparisons is if every single aspect is similiar in every single way without any departure or differences. :rolleyes:

werewolf
10-11-2009, 04:24 PM
I am shocked at the whole principle of players wanting to celebrate with fans. When is the last time a TFC player (apart from Dichio) got nearly that close intentionally to celebrate, I know Nana was there earlier in the game but that was just coincidence.

I would expect no sanctions against the players, especially in MLS. This is the league whose response to racist comments on a youtube video was issuing a statement regarding streamers. Opposing players should get more comfortable celebrating close to the fans, it is a recipe for disaster that might make me laugh.

Roogsy
10-11-2009, 04:30 PM
^ I agree.

Like someone mentioned...

BUSH LEAGUE

Dirk Diggler
10-11-2009, 04:31 PM
I think it is important to point out the differences especially the way you presented the case. The implication was that all the respected front offices in the league would, without a doubt, hand down suspensions for an incident like this by citing an example that is significantly different. In reality, it isn't even clear whether such governing bodies would consistently hand down punishments for incidents that are similar in significance to the one that was punished recently. My point was merely that MLS should hardly be considered a farce if it fails to punish the players in this incident because if that were the case, other leagues in the world should have their integrity questioned as well (which they should anyways but that is a different topic).

As for the passion involved in the incident ... yes ... I was damned pissed when I saw the ball hit the back of the net and if I were sitting with the NEE, my anger would have most probably doubled after seeing the players celebrate and taunt the fans. But once again, the point is that if you add fuel to the fire, you damn well expect a reaction. YOU are taking a piss if you think that a player who was being constantly taunted and shit on while on the sideline will just walk back to the centre circle after scoring a goal that kills our season.

Inklink
10-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Cannon's shush shouldn't be an issue at all. We praised our "ex coach"" for doing the same thing.

Roogsy
10-11-2009, 04:34 PM
I think it is important to point out the differences especially the way you presented the case. The implication was that all the respected front offices in the league would, without a doubt, hand down suspensions for an incident like this by citing an example that is significantly different. In reality, it isn't even clear whether such governing bodies would consistently hand down punishments for incidents that are similar in significance to the one that was punished recently. My point was merely that MLS should hardly be considered a farce if it fails to punish the players in this incident because if that were the case, other leagues in the world should have their integrity questioned as well (which they should anyways but that is a different topic).[quote]

I never said suspension.

[quote]As for the passion involved in the incident ... yes ... I was damned pissed when I saw the ball hit the back of the net and if I were sitting with the NEE, my anger would have most probably doubled after seeing the players celebrate and taunt the fans. But once again, the point is that if you add fuel to the fire, you damn well expect a reaction. YOU are taking a piss if you think that a player who was being constantly taunted and shit on while on the sideline will just walk back to the centre circle after scoring a goal that kills our season.

Nobody said NOT to react. But a professional footballer should respond professionally. Unless your argument is that he isn't paid to be there? Because I know the guys in 127 weren't. In fact...they paid money out of their own pocket. That absolutely changes the dynamic.

BTW, it would help if you didn't CHANGE what I said. Adding stuff that I never said is not acceptable.

Roogsy
10-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Cannon's shush shouldn't be an issue at all. We praised our "ex coach"" for doing the same thing.

And notice nobody suggested there should be actions for that. Anyone who follows football knows players WILL react...but there are lines that they cannot cross.

Dirk Diggler
10-11-2009, 04:45 PM
I didn't change anything that you said. If you are refering to the "suspension" bit than that was in reference to the Adebayor incident ... I did mention the word punishment, which is what I should have wrote.

Also, I don't understand why money is coming into the equation. If I go into a an establishment for which I paid cover to enter, do I get to taunt the employees while expecting them to just stand there and take it without any sort of reaction? What the SJ players did was not something out of the ordinary ... did they jump the fence and pull a Tie Domi or Ron Artest? No ...

Dirk Diggler
10-11-2009, 04:49 PM
And notice nobody suggested there should be actions for that. Anyone who follows football knows players WILL react...but there are lines that they cannot cross.

Yes ... it is a good sign that people are not asking for any actions regarding that but then again they'd have to be absolute hypocrites if they did after the Carver incident so that does not really mean much.

Either way, all I really want to add now is that you don't get to cite the regulations if it only benefits you. As someone already mentioned, there are regulations that give security the right to remove you from the ground for using abusive language but I don't see people mentioning that ... especially considering how it directly relates to the latter incident which was no doubt fueled by such abusive language.

Roogsy
10-11-2009, 04:51 PM
I didn't change anything that you said. If you are refering to the "suspension" bit than that was in reference to the Adebayor incident ... I did mention the word punishment, which is what I should have wrote.

Also, I don't understand why money is coming into the equation. If I go into a an establishment for which I paid cover to enter, do I get to taunt the employees while expecting them to just stand there and take it without any sort of reaction? What the SJ players did was not something out of the ordinary ... did they jump the fence and pull a Tie Domi or Ron Artest? No ...

You also wrote this:

YOU are taking a piss if you think that a player who was being constantly taunted and shit on while on the sideline will just walk back to the centre circle after scoring a goal that kills our season.

Where exactly did I say that a player wasn't allowed to react or respond? I don't like being misquoted or any implication that changes my point. The fundamental truth is that what the player did isn't allowed in other more credible leagues and if the league wants to be taken seriously, they need to as well.

You guys are acting like it's all or nothing. Nobody is asking players to be robots. But they have a responsibility too and when they fail to live up to those responsibilities, the league needs to enforce proper conduct.

Lennon
10-11-2009, 05:26 PM

+1

Adds excitment and helps develop a healthy hatred between the two clubs.

For the record I loved Adebayor's celebration and wish that more players showed that kind of emotion on the field.

nascarguy
10-11-2009, 05:26 PM
I think someone need to call tfc on tuesday if the league wants to be taken seriously something has to be done.

I did not care about the player that were on the field but the player that were off the field need to stay off the field and i think the team should be hit with a fine

Blizzard
10-11-2009, 06:17 PM
I think someone need to call tfc on tuesday if the league wants to be taken seriously something has to be done.

I did not care about the player that were on the field but the player that were off the field need to stay off the field and i think the team should be hit with a fine

They weren't on the field. The whole gang was off the field, behind the advertising hordings right in front of the NEE.

It's not a matter of being on the field. It's a matter of how close they should really be to the crowd when they start acting in a provocative manner.

v00d00daddy
10-11-2009, 08:15 PM
And thankfully only you. Everyone else knows it isn't sour grapes. The people I am upset with about the result are the people responsible, our own team.

This isn't about the result of the game, this is about keeping the balance and atmosphere in the stands. And as per usual you don't get it. It's become par for the course.

And as per usual you're being condescending.

I get it. You think the league has to sanction teams that behave this way to prevent it from happening, or to prevent it from getting worse.

That's fine. But when you start the thread by saying "this isn't sour grapes" the day after the team shits the bed in the last minute...guess what?

It sounds like sour grapes.

Had we been up 2-0 when this happened people wouldn't be so upset. If Glen had scored a meaningless goal and decided to flip the bird to supporters who had been giving him the gears we would all be saying he is a douchebag and that's it.

Now we're talking about writing letters to the league, and talking about how bush league MLS can be etc.

You may say it's not about the bad result yesterday but I would disagree. If this game was in May there would not have been so much outrage.

Where were the letters to the league when Serioux did this....or when a NYRB player did it at Giants stadium in year 1. (i was there to see a couple of TFC supporters throw the plastic beer bottles at him)

Why all the outrage now?

For the record Roogsy...I have no problem with the players being fined. I just don't think it's as big a catastrophe as people are making it out to be.

v00d00daddy
10-11-2009, 08:21 PM
As for the people talking about how it made them happy to see beers coming down...or how people could have/should have rushed the field...or getting batteries??????

This is why players give supporters the finger. Because there are people like that in the stands. People who can't control themselves. People who think that they're on the fucking field with TFC.

Get a grip people.

It's embarrasing to see shit thrown on the field and if the day ever comes that somebody runs on to the field in anger towards the opposition it will be one of the biggest black eyes on TFC, Toronto and the sport of soccer in this country.

So before anybody continues to condone this stupid behaviour, think of the consequences.

Roogsy
10-11-2009, 08:25 PM
You make a lot of assumptions and then make several contradictions. It would be pointless to try to address anything among that confusion.

v00d00daddy
10-11-2009, 08:31 PM
You make a lot of assumptions and then make several contradictions. It would be pointless to try to address anything among that confusion.

Okay..then address this:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=4286&highlight=serioux+finger

1st post...2nd page.

Speaking of contradictions.

You're so full of it sometimes man.

Brooker
10-11-2009, 08:44 PM
^^^ LOL!!! you got him, man.

Fans in North America aren't going to riot over this. Not before they start rioting over ludicrous refereeing. So I just think they should tell Serioux to knock it out and move on. There are more important things to worry about other than this guy giving stick to some fans who probably enjoyed it as much as he did. Let's admit it guys...we love it when we are riding a player and he responds. It shows we are getting to them.

And for whoever says it "helps" us if he gets suspended? Actually no. It may in fact hurt us if he winds up suspended for a game against a team with whom we are fighting over a playoff spot.

anyways...

personally.. i think the player should be fined. this shit isn't safe. it's just asking for trouble.

theres no way in HELL anybody gets away with this kinda stuff in any popular sport in North America.... so why does this continue to happen atleast once a year for us at TFC games?

makes the players look like such amateurs. and people wonder why most folks don't take this league seriously.

Bobo
10-11-2009, 11:07 PM
Why are so many people here assuming that NEE "got to" the douche or "deserved what they got" ? I already mentioned that besides 20 seconds at the beginning of the second half, nothing was coming out from the section except many of the same chants that 112 were doing. If it was at the other end then the RPB would have gotten it. I was right there and this guy deserves to be punished.

MLS is so bush.

Antifa Bhoy
10-12-2009, 12:04 AM
Why are so many people here assuming that NEE "got to" the douche or "deserved what they got" ? I already mentioned that besides 20 seconds at the beginning of the second half, nothing was coming out from the section except many of the same chants that 112 were doing. If it was at the other end then the RPB would have gotten it. I was right there and this guy deserves to be punished.

MLS is so bush.

the first half with the subs was much harsher then the second half, but we did get under their skin. still any other league in the world would fine or suspend the players. i don't understand why some people on here don't get that.

best screen cap i could get, but if you watch the video, it's clear it was a middle finger.

http://i34.tinypic.com/fw21ye.jpg

torontocelt
10-12-2009, 12:21 AM
Okay..then address this:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=4286&highlight=serioux+finger

1st post...2nd page.

Oh boy, you really did get him there, that was spot on, ha, ha. Everyone gets called out at some point but that was pretty concrete and funny. It just goes to show that you shouldn't call out others when you are likely to get called out yourself.

Cashcleaner
10-12-2009, 12:25 AM
^ LOL! That is kinda funny. FluSH is spot-on with his post from that thread, though.

...The league has alot more things to worry about than some player flipping the bird...

torontocelt
10-12-2009, 12:30 AM
Okay..then address this:

1st post...2nd page.

+1

I have nothing against Roogsy. I am sure he is a cool guy but the threads I have read over the past couple of days from him have been full of this 'generalizations and assumptions' stuff regarding other peoples opinion. For me at times it has reeked of self importance and the belief that everyone else's opinions are not well founded. I am glad someone has called him out, he has done it many times before to others.

werewolf
10-12-2009, 12:34 AM
A team at MLS is looking into the incident after numerous complaints of Serioux giving the finger directly to fans right before a throw in."

I never realized winning a throw-in and scoring a late game winner were on level grounds . Now I know I guess. Next time one of those opposing players wins a throw-in within range, I am going to tell that P.O.S. what I think of his wife's turkey recipe!!!

ilikemusic
10-12-2009, 02:25 AM
Frankly, im okay with the incident all the way around. Though im not associated with any supporters group.

If fans in the north end were getting under the San Jose players' skin, awesome.

If the San Jose players felt the need to enjoy their moment by taunting some Toronto fans, even better.

If those players then happen to receive a couple free drinks from the stands, then thats the best!

Its all part of the game. Players obviously love playing here (because they always get points :facepalm: but also) because they love to experience the crowd.

DichioTFC
10-12-2009, 03:45 AM
Everyone needs to stop being so damn emotional about the taunting. We rag on opposing players for 90+ minutes, they shock us at the end of the game and we throw e-hissy fits about it? FFS, if I scored a goal of that importance and magnitude I would do the exact same thing. Unclassy, yes. However a lot of people would do the exact same thing.

To me, the blame lies with the TFC defence for allowing the late goal. If anyone deserves a BMO shower, its the people responsible for allowing that late goal. FFS, if we scored a second goal or DEFENDED PROPERLY, we wouldnt have been in that position.

forget it, move on.

Lennon
10-12-2009, 03:53 AM
Everyone needs to stop being so damn emotional about the taunting. We rag on opposing players for 90+ minutes, they shock us at the end of the game and we throw e-hissy fits about it? FFS, if I scored a goal of that importance and magnitude I would do the exact same thing. Unclassy, yes. However a lot of people would do the exact same thing.

To me, the blame lies with the TFC defence for allowing the late goal. If anyone deserves a BMO shower, its the people responsible for allowing that late goal. FFS, if we scored a second goal or DEFENDED PROPERLY, we wouldnt have been in that position.

forget it, move on.

QFT

/thread

Brooker
10-12-2009, 05:01 AM
what would they do in MLB? what would they do in the NHL? what would they do in the NBA? what would they do in the NFL? big fine and possible suspension.... without a DOUBT.

i realize the fact that some people may disagree and say this isn't that big of a deal, but this is not tolerated anywhere in any sport here in North America. basically if MLS does nothing, they are confirming the fact that we are bush league and shouldn't be taken seriously.

GBV
10-12-2009, 09:33 AM
They usually play to a full house or close to it. Their stadium, Buck Shaw, is a college stadium and seats a lot fewer people than other stadiums around the league.

9,000 wednesday, their most recent home game.
which is, like, more than 10 per cent empty

anyway, it wasn't a san jose-specific comment.

bene89
10-12-2009, 09:49 AM
These players are professionals, they shouldn't be acting like that. Imagine seeing Alan Wiley telling Alex Ferguson to fu.ck off. Referees get worse abuse than players but the minute they'd say anything back there careers would be over. It should be the same way with the players...you are a professional doing a job, not in the stands having some good banter at a player or ref. I ref hockey and I can't even count the amount of times I'd love to give a fan a piece of my mind, but the second I would I'd be fired, not to mention the eruption I'd get from the stands.

v00d00daddy
10-12-2009, 09:58 AM
These players are professionals, they shouldn't be acting like that. Imagine seeing Alan Wiley telling Alex Ferguson to fu.ck off. Referees get worse abuse than players but the minute they'd say anything back there careers would be over. It should be the same way with the players...you are a professional doing a job, not in the stands having some good banter at a player or ref. I ref hockey and I can't even count the amount of times I'd love to give a fan a piece of my mind, but the second I would I'd be fired, not to mention the eruption I'd get from the stands.

That's all well and good but referees and players are completely different. The players are in the middle of competing for something. The ref is not. Players emotions will always be running much higher. If a ref is as emotional as a player, he/she should not be a ref.

onemanbarmyarmy
10-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Okay..then address this:

1st post...2nd page.

Not the first time. Won't be the last. If you post a thousand times a day you are bound to contradict yourself at some time. That is why you shouldn't hide behind the internet kids. it has a long "hard copy" memory.

...anyway...

I think players should be punished for these outbursts because in the long run the fans will eventually be the ones to suffer because we all know that eventually some drunk ass is going to hop the rails or throw something and hurt a player then the league will be forced to deal with whole sections of fans at BMO and we all know which sections will be targeted.

On the other hand; broad sweeping terms like "sanctions" does sound a bit harsh and running the length of the pitch to celebrate in front of fans is different from celebrating in front of fans that are right there when you score. It is the difference between in the heat of the moment and premeditation.

Gixmo
10-12-2009, 11:27 PM
PIcture is posted on page 4, so no need for me to repost it.

Now to identify the douchebag and send a flaming bag of moose poop to his house

Fort York Redcoat
10-13-2009, 07:22 AM

+1. Bang on.

Auzzy
10-13-2009, 09:01 AM
I think the behaviour of the San Jose players was WAY over the top. Sure the fans got under their skin. The professional way to react is to try & pay it back on the field -- which this player already had done in spades. If you really want to make a point, a sarcastic clap or bow to the stands from the side of the 18-yard box is more than enough, w/o being too close to be really dangerous. Going off the edge of the playing field & behind the advertising, right below a supporters group, giving the finger etc. is just plain stupid.

Nomad
10-13-2009, 08:24 PM
I was out of the country for this match but have my seat in 127.

Personally i love the fact he did this and thrive on it. I wish more players did it. It means we're doing our job and getting to them. Plus it ups the excitement ante tenfold. :D