PDA

View Full Version : Brian Edwards...

Carts
10-10-2009, 10:10 PM
he was awesome... he deserved this shot long ago.... !!!!

DoubleUp
10-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Edwards is a championship keeper, he knows how to win. I can't say that about everybody else though.

flambe
10-10-2009, 10:17 PM
agreed he did very well, much more confidence than Frei. good job

Oldtimer
10-10-2009, 10:17 PM
He's an average MLS GK, nothing special IMO.

His weakness is in communication, which led to the goal.
You can see the difference between him and Stefan on corners, Stefan is lining them up, Edwards says nothing.

His distribution is weak at times, too.

His strength is that he roams a little more, so he encourages the defenders to play further out.

SQUIRREL
10-10-2009, 10:19 PM
I wasn't an Edwards fan, but he had an awesome game. His communication and distributions were great. I liked his throwing passes to the wings.

TFC_Chris
Disagreeing with Carts Oldtimer?
You better believe that's a paddlin'...

werewolf

You can see the difference between him and Stefan on corners, Stefan is lining them up, Edwards says nothing.

His strength is that he roams a little more, so he encourages the defenders to play further out.

I agree. There is a fine line between agressiveness and recklessness, which he sometimes blurs.

DichioTFC
10-10-2009, 10:20 PM

You're right about communication being a weakness, but thats a two-way street and could be ironed out with more time with the players.

But defence competency is also an issue. There was a moment in the first half when Nick Garcia waited until the last possible moment before Edwards got to the ball to clear it out. Edwards was FURIOUS, practically screaming at Garcia (who ignored Edwards, curiously enough).

SQUIRREL
10-10-2009, 10:21 PM
I thought his communications was good, called defenders off. In the end everybody was running around like chickens with there head cut off.

Ageroo
10-10-2009, 10:22 PM
I like Edwards and I think he played a great match.......he is confident coming out to challenge balls a little more than Frei....but at times does not seem to command things like Frei. We have two good keepers here...not a huge drop of(if any) when Edwards steps in....

Ageroo
10-10-2009, 10:23 PM
I thought his communications was good, called defenders off. In the end everybody was running around like chickens with there head cut off.

I haven't seen all the replays as I was at the match...but I am with you on this one....seems like mass confusion more than something Edwards could control.

s2cazz
10-10-2009, 10:24 PM
When we got rid of Sutton I was worried... IMO we would have done a lot worse last year if it wasn't for him. But Frei has been amazing as of yet and even Edwards is good.

Goal keeping is the last thing I am worried about with this team. I have been impressed as of yet.

jazzy
10-10-2009, 10:24 PM

He is much more aggressive than Frei, He may lack Frei,s natural ability and size but He is Agressive and attack's the ball, while Frei's few mistakes have been not going forward to meet the ball and waiting for it...I love them both

Carts
10-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Edwards - he should have been given this shot long ago.....

he was AWESOME!!!! well done kid!!!

EDWARDS FOR STARTER!!!!!!!!!!

DichioTFC
10-10-2009, 10:30 PM

whoa there... easy now!!

onemanbarmyarmy
10-10-2009, 10:31 PM
I think the Edwards or Frie battle is much closer than the starter outcomes have been. A more experienced coach may have changed starters a couple more times this year. I am sure that this choice was a constant point of discussion "behind the scenes" all year. if not it should have been.

MartinUtd
10-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Edwards has got a monster for an arm. I'm glad the defenders picked up on the fact that he can launch the ball the length of the field.

DoubleUp
10-10-2009, 10:33 PM

I second that! Ncaa national champion and has more Mls experience than Frei, Only thing I give frei over him is shop stopping, but overall pound for pound edwards is the better keeper. Who remembers the big save he made on the player from Madrid.

Darlofletch
10-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Edwards came out for a lot of crosses that frei would have left alone. he definitely is in control of the box. having said that, how many saves did he have to make? 1. how many saves did he make? 0.

Carts
10-10-2009, 10:42 PM
0? are you kidding???? Ed wardscame out and won every ball in the box... Edwards was excellent!!! EDWARDS SHOULD START!!!!

king dave
10-10-2009, 10:55 PM
OK today.
KD.

ballerz
10-10-2009, 11:04 PM

Are you serious? Did you see his 50 yard throw to get us on the break? I think he got a better leg than Frei as well.

TFCUNITED
10-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Edwards is good and he should of played one or two more games than he has played so far this year (to give Frei a rest and give him experience). As someone said earlier, goal keeping is the last thing to worry about on this team.

Ageroo
10-10-2009, 11:12 PM
Are you serious? Did you see his 50 yard throw to get us on the break? I think he got a better leg than Frei as well.

Leg is debatable...but throws there is no competition...Edwards is miles ahead.

Darlofletch
10-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Edwards came out for a lot of crosses that frei would have left alone. he definitely is in control of the box. having said that, how many saves did he have to make? 1. how many saves did he make? 0.

0? are you kidding???? Ed wardscame out and won every ball in the box... Edwards was excellent!!! EDWARDS SHOULD START!!!!

Like I said, he was very good at coming out for crosses, I was loving his game and he seriously should be in contention for a starting spot, my wife was looking at me as if I was betraying Frei by praising edwards I was that impressed. but how many saves did he make?

jabbronies
10-10-2009, 11:30 PM
He did alright. Was aggressive when he needed to be. Distribution was ok.

I saw him argue with Garcia towards the end of the game - Garcia called him off and had Serioux kick the ball out, he didn't seem to happy about that. There was another time earlier in the game when Edwards called on a player who didn't respond to him. He got pissed at that as well.

Seems like no one wants to listen to him.

sulfur
10-10-2009, 11:31 PM
He's a better distributor than Frei, but definitely weaker at clearing the ball when it's put back to him (take for example that badly shanked ball early in the 2nd half).

Not sure on the shot-stopping, and on the communication, he's talking, whether the defence is listening is another thing entirely. That seems to be a huge problem on our team... people may talk, others don't listen. Some people are open, others will never pass to them.

There's an obvious chasm in that dressing room. You can see it on the field. When that happens, it doesn't matter how much you roam, how much you talk -- if people don't pay attention to you, you're SOL.

onemanbarmyarmy
10-10-2009, 11:57 PM
He did alright. Was aggressive when he needed to be. Distribution was ok.

I saw him argue with Garcia towards the end of the game - Garcia called him off and had Serioux kick the ball out, he didn't seem to happy about that. There was another time earlier in the game when Edwards called on a player who didn't respond to him. He got pissed at that as well.

Seems like no one wants to listen to him.

Really? A keeper not happy with Garcias defensive decision making? Not after last weeks stellar display.

Antifa Bhoy
10-11-2009, 02:56 AM
He's a better distributor than Frei, but definitely weaker at clearing the ball when it's put back to him (take for example that badly shanked ball early in the 2nd half).

Not sure on the shot-stopping, and on the communication, he's talking, whether the defence is listening is another thing entirely. That seems to be a huge problem on our team... people may talk, others don't listen. Some people are open, others will never pass to them.

There's an obvious chasm in that dressing room. You can see it on the field. When that happens, it doesn't matter how much you roam, how much you talk -- if people don't pay attention to you, you're SOL.

Garcia and Edwards had a very obvious and loud disagreement when Edwards was coming out of his box to take a free kick. Garcia told him to "Get the fuck back in your fucking net" and it went back and forth for a couple seconds before edwards finally retreated to his net to let someone else take it (who i forget) and ended up putting it on the foot of a SJ player. Edwards distribution is great, not sure why Garcia was so concerned.

Edwards had a great game. should be getting more playing time, but i bet he's gone to philly next year.

Yohan
10-11-2009, 05:29 AM
Edwards showed that he does have some good shot stopping skills. See Real Madrid game (even if he got torched 5 times)

felipe
10-11-2009, 07:22 AM
He didn't have all that much to do did he? I mean, for the average TFC match, he was basically a spectator.

but he looked good for what he had to do.

i'm going to go with whatever the coaching staff thinks on who the better keeper is, they see them all week at training.

sidvan
10-11-2009, 07:34 AM
With tfc all but out of it now and frei's finger still mending i believe Edwards will be given the starting spot the rest of the way.

Candu_88
10-11-2009, 08:05 AM
Hi Guys, great to wake up this morning after yesterday's sadness to read this thread. If it wasn't here I was going to start one. Edwards impressed the hell out of me. He has shown massive improvement in his communication, shot stopping and commanding the box. One great punch in the first half for a highly contested ball well outside the 6 yard box that right now Frei would have stayed on the line.

We have to give kudos to Mike Toshack the keeper coach for Brian's improvement and confidence despite way too limited playing time this season. This will put pressure on Frei and make him develop the same improvements Edwards has made.

I thought after the Real game that Edwards superb cross defending made him the number one choice against true 4-4-2 teams with true heading threats. Now if really annoyed because Edwards in against Colorado would have changed the result.

It was so unfair for Edwards to be in the most important game of the year only having played in some friendlies. The fact he was at the top of his game speaks volumes on his potential. CC has not manged the keeper playing times properly.

Yohan
10-11-2009, 08:16 AM
It was so unfair for Edwards to be in the most important game of the year only having played in some friendlies. The fact he was at the top of his game speaks volumes on his potential. CC has not manged the keeper playing times properly.
bit harsh on CC with this comment. Frei has been pretty damn good for most of the season. not easy dropping your #1 keeper quickly. you normally dont do that unless he is going through a really rough patch of form

zeelaw
10-11-2009, 08:53 AM
He looked very, very committed yesterday! He wants playoffs and he took his starting chance very well.

Red CB Toronto
10-11-2009, 08:59 AM
I am just curious who was the backup keeper yesterday? I did not know who he was.

sulfur
10-11-2009, 09:04 AM
A guy named Kevin Guppy. MLS GK Pool player I believe.

Red CB Toronto
10-11-2009, 09:13 AM
A guy named Kevin Guppy. MLS GK Pool player I believe.

Thanks Sulfur for the info.

Candu_88
10-11-2009, 09:33 AM
bit harsh on CC with this comment. Frei has been pretty damn good for most of the season. not easy dropping your #1 keeper quickly. you normally don't do that unless he is going through a really rough patch of form

Of all the coaching motivation strategies in the world playing time remains the primary one. Frie is an awesome shot stopper with superb quickness but late in the season he has been staying on the line way too much and has even conceded goals on high looping crosses inside the six yard box. At that point Edwards should have been given a league game to keep him ready and send the message to Frei to start commanding the box on high ball not just the ground ones.

If Edwards had on struggled yesterday then the keep Frei in all the time carries more weight. Based on Brian's performance though the competition for starting position motivator should have been utilized by CC IMO because they are both quality keepers.

Carts
10-11-2009, 09:47 AM
I'm shocked people are ragging on his communication is HIS 1ST LEAGUE START this season...

Communication is a two-way street, and its not something that happens right off the hop...
If he came in and just started screaming at the defenders to do things differently (as each keeper likes their defenders to do things differently) that would have caused utter-chaos in the box and defending... Letting Brennan etc take the lead on lining the troops is actually a veteran move for the keeper to take...

Edwards commanded the box with his play on corners, jumped off his line and corralled the ball - instead of letting it drop and hoping to make that highlight reel save...

There's a reason Frei is up for save of the week so often - 1. because he's a damn great shot stopper in close 2. because of all the in close chances that happen from poor decisions to attack the ball off the line...

Carts...

PS: yes disagreeing with - that's a paddlin'... :) LOL

Davenport
10-11-2009, 10:06 AM
he was awesome... he deserved this shot long ago.... !!!!
For one who didn't have much to do, he was OK. That was until the goal, where he was badly at fault. Reaching for a ball he had no chance of getting, so putting himself out of position when the shot came in.
So...awesome ?
No
The reason we lost ?
Probably.

InTheCrowd
10-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Edwards had a decent game, but I want to know how he plays against a team that's not San Jose. Edwards did a good job coming out and grabbing balls, however he had what, like 2 shots on goal? One from halfway and the other was let in. I'm not going to judge him on one performance.

TFCtoMUFC
10-11-2009, 10:58 AM

Not even close. Frei is the guy we need, he makes big saves and if he is a top keeper in the MLS.

Auzzy
10-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Edwards showed that he does have some good shot stopping skills. See Real Madrid game (even if he got torched 5 times)

Nope not true. Frei played the first half against RM & got beat three times. Edwards played the 2nd half and only got beat twice. I thought Edwards looked like the better keeper in that game.

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090807&content_id=6307910&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Sure Frei is a great keeper. However I think he has been overused as a rookie. His confidence & decision-making on crosses has been a problem since the beginning, and he gave up (or froze) on too many lightly-screened shots. Not meant to be a knock on Frei -- he's an amazing find, especially as a 13th pick -- but I just don't think he's progressed enough during the season on his weak points. He's had some off games (and some minor injuries) where I think we should have had another look at Edwards (and before that, Sutton) for the following game at least.

Great for Edwards that he could come out of that and not really look rusty yesterday.

ballerz
10-12-2009, 11:09 AM
For one who didn't have much to do, he was OK. That was until the goal, where he was badly at fault. Reaching for a ball he had no chance of getting, so putting himself out of position when the shot came in.
So...awesome ?
No
The reason we lost ?
Probably.

Go look at the replay. The reason Edwards was out of position is because Nana got a flick on the cross but didn't get enough to clear it, and the ball fell to the feet of the attacker. If Nana got a solid touch on the ball, or missed the ball entirely, the goal would not have happened.

ballerz
10-12-2009, 11:12 AM
I think Brian Edwards will make a solid starter in the MLS. I rated him much higher than Greg Sutton last year but John Carver seemed to always go with the incumbent. He held his own and did his job really well against SJ, but unlike some of you, I didn't find his solid play to be "surprising".

InTheCrowd
10-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Go look at the replay. The reason Edwards was out of position is because Nana got a flick on the cross but didn't get enough to clear it, and the ball fell to the feet of the attacker. If Nana got a solid touch on the ball, or missed the ball entirely, the goal would not have happened.

Lol but this is part of a keepers job. Tell the defender if you're coming out for it. Saying that if Nana got a proper touch it would've all been good is like saying that Barrett would be top scorer this year if there weren't any goalkeepers. Seriously we can't just say I would've hit the ball if I didn't miss it about every situation.

Auzzy
10-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Listen to Nana's interview & some of the other game quotes. Apparently Edwards called for the ball, but Nana didn't hear it or whatever. It was so jam-packed in front of the goal -- except near the top of the 6-yard box, where there were a bunch of SJ players with too much space :( -- it makes sense that there was some miscommunication. That cross was certainly in an area & height that Edwards handled confidently a couple of times in the game, so it makes sense that he probably called for it.

We already know that the players aren't listening to the coach & aren't listening to each other on defensive organization, especially towards the end of games, so Edwards likely played only a small part in that crucial moment.

Eastend
10-12-2009, 01:05 PM
I'm not gonna read every comment but I don't think he had much to do today. I did read comments complementing his distribution....questionable I think. If he has the ball in his hands, he will muff the kick almost every time....and, he holds on to the ball too long for my liking....

He was ok with what he had to do but that's what is expected. At this point for the qualities he and Frei have, I think they are inter-changable.

Davenport
10-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Maybe you should look at the replay again.
He had already decided to go for the ball before he knew if the defender was going to win the challenge or not, so putting himself out of position.
Not sure if you know this, but keepers shouldn't gamble.
He did, and they scored.
Bad mistake.

sulfur
10-12-2009, 03:52 PM
And if you watch, you can see him yelling, which suggests to me that he was calling for the ball.

As a GK, if you're going for a ball, you let your defenders know.

InTheCrowd
10-12-2009, 05:09 PM
This is soccer. It's an on the fly sport and not everything goes how it's supposed to. When you're going for a header you don't stop. This is everyone's fault let's not press it onto an individual all we had to do is clear the friggin ball.

Blizzard
10-12-2009, 05:55 PM
He didn't get smoked five times, he played only the second half and did very well. I was very happy with the job Edwards did on Saturday. If. The communications between him and Nana had been better, he would have that had cross and we probably hold on to win but what can we expect when he has virtually no time in the nets! Frei can learn something from Edward's aggressiveness on crosses. By coming for those balls, he was snuffing out trouble before it could begin. Frei would not have come for those and in many cases, that leads to the mass confusion in the box!

Yohan
10-12-2009, 06:17 PM
yeah. that was my bad about RM game

ballerz
10-12-2009, 07:26 PM
He had already decided to go for the ball before he knew if the defender was going to win the challenge or not, so putting himself out of position.
He did, and they scored.
Bad mistake.

Please look at the replay again. It was clearly an easy ball for the keeper to take. Nana said he didn't back off after Edwards called for it.

I don't know if you know this, but if the keeper calls for the ball, it is his.

Blizzard
10-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Please look at the replay again. It was clearly an easy ball for the keeper to take. Nana said he didn't back off after Edwards called for it.

I don't know if you know this, but if the keeper calls for the ball, it is his.

Edwards was moving towards the flight of the ball and was in good position to haul it in as he did three or four times earlier in the match.

I don't want to make it sound like I'm being hard on Nana who had a fine game.

As I and others have said, it is communications and we can't really expect those lines of communication to be perfect when Edwards has played so little with this defence.

B

Gixmo
10-12-2009, 08:45 PM
As a GK, if you're going for a ball, you let your defenders know.

Correct, and as a GK - You make it known, you don't take any chances with anyone missing it. You should be able to hear Mr. Edwards on the television yelling!

That being said, Quality game for Edwards with some pros and cons, perhaps we'll see what happens next week...

Carts
10-12-2009, 08:49 PM
He did, and they scored.
Bad mistake.

I personally disagree with this 100%...

I'd rather see the keeper be aggressive and challenge, come off their line, get up and grab the ball (which he did 3-4 times in the match)...

Plus, its not "gambling" when the ball is played into the 6-yard box. As a keeper thats your space! If a ball is played in, you make it yours...!!! If the SJ keeper had done that, we never would have scored our first goal...

You can't sit on your line and hope to stop a shot from a ball played into the 6 - you have very little chance. You go out and you get it...

Also, as for TFC in particular, I'd MUCH RATHER see our keeper be aggressive as our defence is, lets say "suspect" more often than not...

Edwards appeared (I can't say for certain as I can't hear him on any replay) to be calling for the ball...

As I watch the replay over and over right now - I just have to say, for godsakes Garcia keeping charging the man whos about to one-time a shot on goal, you have a much better chance of it hitting you the closer you are instead of stopping dead... But that's a 'off topic' paragraph right there LOL...

Carts...

Carts
10-12-2009, 08:59 PM
This is REALLY OFF TOPIC... But REALLY BOTHERING ME...

I'm currently watching this replay over and over - does anyone watch what our $3-Million-Dollar-Man is doing during this entire sequence...???

He's, umm, not doing much... I'd say WATCHING...

The ball is thumped up the pitch and goes over JDG's head and skips off the turf to Garcia, who plays it poorly off his knees. At this moment you can see Garcia is both in trouble, and separated from his back line... JDG actually begins to walk, not even trot towards the TFC box - by this time the ball is at the feet of a SJ attacker and Brennan makes a great block... JDG still doesn't move (but he has a great view) When SJ recovers the ball, only then JDG picks up a light trot into the box... He's about as deep as the penalty spot when the cross sails into the 6 and off Nana's, he's then standing at the edge of the 6 when the goal is scored...

I'd hope that a player of his calibre could have read the trouble Garcia was in from the moment of that first poor touch, and become part of that back defensive unit... Yes, you can't have everyone drop back and implode, but he is a 'defensive midfielder' by trade...

Just kinda sucks that our netminder, in his first league match of the season is getting dumped on for this, when you have many, many, many mistakes and down right LAZY plays on the pitch - that all contributes to the goal...

Carts...

InTheCrowd
10-12-2009, 09:31 PM
I agree with Carts that a crap load of things contributed to the goal being scored.

Fort York Redcoat
10-13-2009, 07:25 AM
Edwards had a good game but didn't get tested enough for me say more. I've been comfortable with him backing up Frei.

Candu_88
10-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Short cross makes it really tough for the keeper to make the decision to come for it and also communicate the intention quick enough that the defenders can understand it make a split second change. That is why earlier games conceding goals against a long striker from a long deep cross were far more annoying.

I have one other player to blame....Vitti. Just on the field and fresh and he is arrriving in the box as the ball goes it. Who's job is it to to defnd against a far post attacker near the top of the box? That would be the wide midfielder.

This team has some shape flaws. I have lost count of how many chances we wasted this year because no TFC player got to the far post and how many goals we conceded not marking at the far post.

Brooker
10-17-2009, 07:39 PM
do i even need to say it?

great fuckin job today, edwards. he's a damn wall. and great distribution!

TFC Cityboy
10-17-2009, 07:42 PM
should have been Man of the Match- kept us in it several times- one superb save 2nd half that I swore was going in. Seems to command the box better than Frei.

Thought he was shite last season, but he has won me around.

rocker
10-17-2009, 07:43 PM
he seems in good form despite never playing (except for those practice games with universities and such).
i think him and frei can both be solid starters in this league.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
10-17-2009, 07:48 PM
if we make the playoffs.....it will be because of him....!! Outstanding today!

Brooker
10-17-2009, 07:53 PM

QFT.

Detroit_TFC
10-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Really glad Edwards has had a chance to show his quality.

bignickel
10-17-2009, 08:47 PM
he seems in good form despite never playing (except for those practice games with universities and such).
i think him and frei can both be solid starters in this league.

frei who?
edwards deserved the man of the match. several game saving stops, attacking on corners and great distribution encouraging a possession game.
man, this kid will make frei worry....lots!

Red CB Toronto
10-17-2009, 09:16 PM
I though he was great today, he came up huge and made key saves in what has seemed to be the Valley of Death for the Reds this year, the last 15+ minutes. He was quite vocal, from where my brother and I were on the patio you could really here him during the first half, he played with such emotion. Good to see.

trane
10-17-2009, 09:20 PM
I always like Edwards for his desicion making and decisivness in goal. I am glad we have two quality keepers.

InTheCrowd
10-17-2009, 09:38 PM

Really? Every point and every game counts the same. This guy has played 2 games all season and has had 1 good one. I don't know if you were being serious or joking, I'm sorry if I misinterpreted.

TFCUNITED
10-17-2009, 09:46 PM
They even showed a clip of him making a save during the 2nd intermission on HNIC.

andyc
10-17-2009, 09:48 PM
They even showed a clip of him making a save during the 2nd intermission on HNIC.

Wow - I bet Don Cherry almost had a stroke!

:D

Candu_88
10-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Sure all points count for the same but lets give Edwards the kudos he deserves. He is under the most pressure these last two critical games with very little playing time previously this year.

CC in the post game interview said that both TFC keepers have some world class attributes but they are different. Frei is the shot stopper and Edwards in the box commander and defensive communicator.

Edwards was fantastic today MOTM with Serioux a close second. He shot stopping was really impressive. Great grass cutter dive late in the game to preserve the win and a quick collapse dive early in the game. He is showing strong technical improvement. Commanded the box well again and another great punch on a dangerous cross. He positional instincts were perfect today too. Several posts on this thread about Edwards distribution last week but today it was impressive. I love his powerful throws that lead to counter attacks.

phonzo
10-17-2009, 10:05 PM
edwards kept us in it today...kudos to him fantastic work

Stryker
10-17-2009, 10:09 PM
He's a very solid keeper who would be starting for alot of MLS teams.
I'm sure he's happy that he preformed well in such an important game and we should all be happy for him as well.

Daveisonfire
10-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Looks like he's flourished under Toshack...man of the match for me

FluSH
10-17-2009, 10:27 PM
For his second game of the season... Edwards did amazing!!!

I'm glad to have both Edwards and Frei...

Nodoubtguy
10-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Can I just say that after watching his interview on TFC TV, I am now more of a fan of Edwards then I was before. He came out and said that he is partly at fault for what happened and that he didn't do enough.....but he stood in front of the camera and was open and honest about it. But the big thing that hit me was the emotion. You can see it in his face and hear it in his voice, this really meant alot to him.

Hitcho
10-26-2009, 09:08 PM
^ agreed. you could see the anguish in his face increasing with every goal that went in. some of the layers were throwing their arms up. edwards was genuinely distraught.

Eddie and Cronin both went up a million per cent in my books on Sat night, and I thought pretty highly of them both already.

werewolf
10-26-2009, 09:11 PM
5 shots on target, 0 saves. Good on him for being a man in front of the camera, but if you can't make a single save in a game you should be anguished and distraught as a professional.

james
10-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Edwards had a great first 2 games and sucked the last one vs New York. But he knows he sucked and he came out and said which is great. He knew he played a bad game and you cna tell hes hungry to inprove on that bad loss.

Also although he didnt play a good game vs New York its not his fault the team lost, if we cant even score a single goal then there is no way we are gonna win the game anyways.

sulfur
10-26-2009, 09:22 PM
It's also hard when of the 5 shots, four are on breakaways and all _very_ well placed balls. Sure, maybe he should've gotten at least a couple, but that's life.

The fifth? A PK. That's (for all intents and purposes) considered a guaranteed goal at the professional levels. That was their fifth shot.

Hitcho
10-26-2009, 10:26 PM
5 shots on target, 0 saves. Good on him for being a man in front of the camera, but if you can't make a single save in a game you should be anguished and distraught as a professional.

He got screwed big time by the defence. I'm not saying the stats are wrong, but they don't tell the whole picture for that game.

werewolf
10-26-2009, 11:08 PM
I know the defence did him no favours, but the goals weren't exactly howitzers, I don't think 1 or 2 saves would have been too much to ask for. There was a reason he was third-string coming in to this season.

iansmcl
10-26-2009, 11:36 PM
He was hung out to dry on one of the goals by Cronin, one was a PK which brings it down to three, really.

TFC TV is being a bitch right now and won't load properly for me so I can't even watch the other three but I remember thinking he should've got the second (he actually did get a piece of it but obviously not enough). I wonder though, how much each goal led up to the goal after? i.e. How much of each goal can be attributed to a possibly shaky confidence?

Blizzard
10-26-2009, 11:47 PM
He was hung out to dry on one of the goals by Cronin, one was a PK which brings it down to three, really.

TFC TV is being a bitch right now and won't load properly for me so I can't even watch the other three but I remember thinking he should've got the second (he actually did get a piece of it but obviously not enough). I wonder though, how much each goal led up to the goal after? i.e. How much of each goal can be attributed to a possibly shaky confidence?

He got a touch on both Angel goals. I was thinking that perhaps on a dry field with the ball moving a touch slower and with the ball being a bit more grippy that perhaps he saves those but let's remember, we are talking about Angel. He knows how to score.

He was really hung out to dry on all the goals. Four men break in and are allowed free shots .... and the PK, well it was a crap call and while it didn't effect the outcome, it still makes you question MLS officiating.

Watch game in six on TFC-TV and one can see just how good a job Serioux did on that play only to be screwed by the referee.

iansmcl
10-27-2009, 12:20 AM
^^^ That's the other thing: Angel didn't hit those shots hard but they were indeed, very well placed. And never mind the ball being a bit more grippy... what about the field conditions? Possible that the man couldn't even push off with his feet properly.

I'll keep trying TFC TV but my internet is really having issues at the moment.

C.Ronaldo
10-27-2009, 09:28 AM
all we need to know is that Angel is the exact type of DP we SHOULD have gotten from year ONE!

Carts
10-27-2009, 10:26 AM
It's also hard when of the 5 shots, four are on breakaways and all _very_ well placed balls. Sure, maybe he should've gotten at least a couple, but that's life.

The fifth? A PK. That's (for all intents and purposes) considered a guaranteed goal at the professional levels. That was their fifth shot.

If I was in goal for that penalty, I would have been so pissed and in such a bad mood - I would have just stood outside the post and waved the ass*ole to put it in...

Or just get a red by telling the ref "...Game's over... F-off and blow f*cking whistle douchebag..."

I'd probably lose my spot on the team for it - but controlling my temper has never been a strong point with me :)

Give to the kid for not only sticking in there - then standing in front of the cameras after the game (and not blaming the GIANT giants logo in the box LOL)...

Carts...

Bluenose13
10-27-2009, 10:40 AM
5 shots on target, 0 saves. Good on him for being a man in front of the camera, but if you can't make a single save in a game you should be anguished and distraught as a professional.Maybe the worst display of goalkeeping I have ever witnessed.

Blizzard
10-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Maybe the worst display of goalkeeping I have ever witnessed.

Worst display of defence perhaps. He got no support and was left totally out to dry.

sulfur
10-27-2009, 09:25 PM
^ I agree. I didn't really want to respond to Bluenose13 -- being a GK myself, I know how bad I look when I'm left out to dry.

The thing is, when you do make the stop, you often end up with a save of the week in the MLS.

Bluenose13
10-27-2009, 09:37 PM
Worst display of defence perhaps. He got no support and was left totally out to dry.No doubt the defending left a lot to be desired, however it's not like the chances were burried in the corner, on a normal night Edwards makes pretty easy saves on the 1st 3 goals, he was a mess on Saturday night.

BTW....Not that it makes my opinion right, but this is the first time in 3 years I have a called out a player for a poor performance......Edwards was brutal & I think he would be the first to admit it.

james
10-28-2009, 11:57 PM
Edwards was bad, defence was even worse and the offence didnt bring there game.

The field is probably the worst surface in MLS, it looks like carpet,(thankfully they wont play there ever again) and the field was soaked with huge pudles in the goal creases. Im sure the surface was slippy as shit and i think that made it even harder for edwards to stop the ball.

THis said, id give edwards another chance, but that game was just all round bad.

ua-kozak_TFC
10-29-2009, 09:13 AM
LOL guys who think he is awesome... really??
Not sure if you rememeber But technically he costs us the Play off spot... The last minute tie against San Jose was all his job (came out horribly when he shouldn;t have ... trying to be the "hero" and left the net wide open) and if i am correct.. that would be qualification for us.
Also goal # 2 and # 3 against new york would have beeneasy saves for frei they were right underneath him and were not too hard.
I think he concentrates too much on "looking good on net" the money shot and what not and doesn;t concentrate on just keeping the ball out of the net.... I;ll give you that he made a few good saves.. but compared to those that he let in(due to his fault)...are way too many

adam1001
10-29-2009, 09:22 AM
LOL guys who think he is awesome... really??
Not sure if you rememeber But technically he costs us the Play off spot... The last minute tie against San Jose was all his job (came out horribly when he shouldn;t have ... trying to be the "hero" and left the net wide open) and if i am correct.. that would be qualification for us.
Also goal # 2 and # 3 against new york would have beeneasy saves for frei they were right underneath him and were not too hard.
I think he concentrates too much on "looking good on net" the money shot and what not and doesn;t concentrate on just keeping the ball out of the net.... I;ll give you that he made a few good saves.. but compared to those that he let in(due to his fault)...are way too many

Agreed. Although he's had some decent games, he's really not good enough to start. Don't get me wrong, the whole team was shit last week, but i just dont think edwards is ready.

__wowza
10-29-2009, 09:22 AM
overall, as much as a keeper might be "left out to dry", theyre the last line of defence against a goal. am i saying he did a rotten job? not really, but he lost confidence everytime the ball came up field for sure.

anyone whose been in net before can tell you what its like to be inside of your own head after a soft goal and question every move you make, edwards just happened to do it after the first shot on net.

adam1001
10-29-2009, 09:27 AM
overall, as much as a keeper might be "left out to dry", theyre the last line of defence against a goal. am i saying he did a rotten job? not really, but he lost confidence everytime the ball came up field for sure.

anyone whose been in net before can tell you what its like to be inside of your own head after a soft goal and question every move you make, edwards just happened to do it after the first shot on net.

Exactly. As a keeper, the worst possible scenario is letting in a soft goal that early in the game.

C.Ronaldo
10-29-2009, 09:30 AM
Edwards was bad, defence was even worse and the offence didnt bring there game.

The field is probably the worst surface in MLS, it looks like carpet,(thankfully they wont play there ever again) and the field was soaked with huge pudles in the goal creases. Im sure the surface was slippy as shit and i think that made it even harder for edwards to stop the ball.

THis said, id give edwards another chance, but that game was just all round bad.

new york knew

just get the ball on net, and we will score

sadly, Toronto cant even get the shot on net 90% of the time.

I cant believe i pay $600 a year for this crap soccer

Candu_88
10-29-2009, 10:57 AM
That field is fast soaked old fashioned crap non-soccer turf. Low shots into the corners are tough to save under those field conditions because the ball skids and does not decelerate. It annoys me how often TFC blast over the net when low to the corner was the better option all season. The third goal should definitely have been saved by Edwards though.

I said this before. Next season against wide attacking team that score from crosses play Edwards. Aginst speed teams whose attacks come through the middle play Frei. All of those goals by NY came up the middle but Frei wasn't available and Edwards had earned his chance.

My technical assessment of the first three goals was that Brian was a just little in no man's land positionally. Tough timing decision to come out and close down the attacker or stay back and have more time to react. NY strikers took advantage of Brian's positional indecisions. Frei has been guilty of these kinds of mistakes this year too. This is where keepers improve with experience.

Let's be honest though world class striker's like Angel will frequently score on break aways. Why wasn't Nana man-marking Angel?

sulfur
10-29-2009, 11:16 AM

And of course, he did call for that, and Attakora jumped and flicked the ball with a header just beyond Eddy's reach.

Every time we saw Eddy play, he was telling his defence to do something. Most every time, they talked back and/or didn't do that something.

It's very hard to defend your goal when you have no idea how your defence will react.

And yes, playing in front of Frei is different than Eddy. One is aggressive in attacking the ball in the 18, the other isn't so much.