PDA

View Full Version : Farewell Cummins...

FluSH
10-10-2009, 05:09 PM
I would like to say thanks for doing the best you could. Hopefully you enjoyed your stay in Toronto. All the best in your future endeavours.

Adios,

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3332/3240337437_b68aa1a482.jpg

-FluSH

SteeltownBhoy
10-10-2009, 05:20 PM
I bet Frank Yallopp would come coach Toronto in a heartbeat!!

Cambridge_Red
10-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Why was he left in charge for so long? I don't blame the guy as he had little experience to begin with, but surely someone as "knowledgeable" as Mo Johnston would understand something like this and bring in someone more qualified to fill the place of the ever useless Carver whom was another MoJo masterpiece.

Davenport
10-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Why was he left in charge for so long? I don't blame the guy as he had little experience to begin with, but surely someone as "knowledgeable" as Mo Johnston would understand something like this and bring in someone more qualified to fill the place of the ever useless Carver whom was another MoJo masterpiece.
The only thing Johnston knows is how to order a drink.
He's an utter waste of space.

FluSH
10-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Please feel free to post a picture of an Airplane saying your goodbyes...

He's done...

LesH
10-10-2009, 05:27 PM
You're too generous with CC.
Just send him in a kayak over the Atlantic. :picard:
This team couldn't played any worst having no coach at all. :(

shwade
10-10-2009, 05:29 PM
http://www.approvedgasmasks.com/images/riot-ExoTechCop.jpg

Dirk Diggler
10-10-2009, 05:31 PM
I hope Mo accompanies Cummins on that plane ... otherwise the shit show will continue ad nauseum.

zeelaw
10-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Cummins got the tactics all wrong today. Does he not know hwo to hold a lead?

ArmenJBX
10-10-2009, 05:33 PM
http://mnbishopsearchepiscopal.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/airplane.jpg

Good riddance. Please don't bother to keep in touch.

Idiot. I've never seen a team lose so many times in the same exact way. 1 goal up, last minute, bam. This is too painful. Get us a real coach Mo or I'll personally make a housecall with a good friend of mine...I believe you can catch him on HBO, he's on a show called Dexter.

Shway
10-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Everbody said dont play Garcia, you play Garcia and a missed clearance is his fault
FAREWELL TO THE BOTH OF YOU

Yohan
10-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Cummins got the tactics all wrong today. Does he not know hwo to hold a lead?
CC is an amateur manager.

lots of ideas on how the game should be played, but don't know how to actually manage a game

Stryker
10-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Was Gomez avalible for the game? If he was Mo should have fired him and coached the game himself when he put Garcia in over him.

greatwhitenorf
10-10-2009, 05:41 PM
What in the world was Garcia doing in the final few minutes? We clear the ball, the defence moves forward in a line well above our 18 yard box.

Then Einstein Garcia decides, on his own, to start backpedalling toward our goal.

Ball is sent up field over the established defence line, all the Quakes players are now onside and all hell breaks loose.

I saw that, cringed, and knew we'd be in trouble. Sure enough.

Really have to think now about renewing seats for next year.

FluSH
10-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Was Gomez avalible for the game? If he was Mo should have fired him and coached the game himself when he put Garcia in over him.

I think even if Cummins would have subbed Kign Dave it would have made a diffareance in this game...

ArmenJBX
10-10-2009, 05:52 PM
I think even if Cummins would have subbed Kign Dave it would have made a diffareance in this game...

If not for the simple fact that it would have shaved precious seconds off the clock! Hell, Marco Velez's replacement shoes would have done a better job then Nick Garcia, and it would have run the clock to boot! You have two subs on the bench, FUCKING USE THEM!!

Nerepis
10-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Here's your hat, what's your hurry... don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Inklink
10-10-2009, 06:05 PM
They're a decent team, I've told the lads that. think we played well if I'm honest with ya'. We have a group of professional footballers in there. Me wife told me to keep going and keep your head down and we can make the playoffs. Decent footballers. Back home. Decent footballers.

boban
10-10-2009, 06:07 PM
There is a definition of stupidity in their somewhere.

greatwhitenorf
10-10-2009, 06:13 PM
NEVER Frank Yallop.

The most colourless and unimaginative manager. Terrible choice.

THA BUTCHA
10-10-2009, 06:15 PM
I hope they fire him tonight to send a message to fans the the Organization will not tolerate this kind of play anymore. He doesn't deserve to finish the season.

I also hope MOJO Goes with him

SteeltownBhoy
10-10-2009, 06:19 PM
I hope they fire him tonight to send a message to fans the the Organization will not tolerate this kind of play anymore. He doesn't deserve to finish the season.

I also hope MOJO Goes with him

I was thinking the same thing, fire him now, lets not let everyone stew through the off season.

greatwhitenorf
10-10-2009, 06:22 PM
I never advocate radical, rash actions.

But this actually makes sense.

Garcia would have to go, too.

THA BUTCHA
10-10-2009, 06:31 PM
I never advocate radical, rash actions.

But this actually makes sense.

Garcia would have to go, too.

The Jays did it to J.P. Richardi

it was the best news Jays fans heard in months.

It think TFC Fans deserve the same.

DangerRed
10-10-2009, 06:33 PM
See ya, Cummins. I had faith, but you've erased it. There's only so many times you can give someone a second chance, and that goes both for players and for coaching staff. I hear Air Canada's having a seat sale.

Yohan
10-10-2009, 06:35 PM
See ya, Cummins. I had faith, but you've erased it. There's only so many times you can give someone a second chance, and that goes both for players and for coaching staff. I hear Air Canada's having a seat sale.
bit of off topic, but flying on Air Canada isn't bad at all

DangerRed
10-10-2009, 06:39 PM
bit of off topic, but flying on Air Canada isn't bad at all

Indeed. Last time I flew to the U.K. was the smoothest flight I've ever been on.

LesH
10-10-2009, 06:47 PM
I hope Mo accompanies Cummins on that plane ... otherwise the shit show will continue ad nauseum.

We aren't so lucky.
Mo is here to stay IMO... :facepalm:

Beach_Red
10-10-2009, 08:27 PM

Also, was Gerba available for the game?

Shakes McQueen
10-10-2009, 08:29 PM

I actually said "what the fuck?" out loud when I saw him in the lineup, and I was here by myself.

- Scott

andyc
10-10-2009, 08:30 PM
I'm leaving on a Jetplane...

Maybe a song for next week?

Oldtimer
10-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Mo is entitled to hire one more coach and see if that works (all GMs are entitled to hire 2 coaches). If after that we are still crap, Mo needs to walk the plank.

Cummins has shown himself to be tactically inadequate, and needs to go.

rocker
10-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Mo is entitled to hire one more coach and see if that works (all GMs are entitled to hire 2 coaches). If after that we are still crap, Mo needs to walk the plank.

Cummins has shown himself to be tactically inadequate, and needs to go.

yup... I mean, we've had Mojo, some noname called Carver and some noname called Cummins as our coaches. Expansion period is over. Time for a real coach, a guy who knows MLS already, knows what works etc.. A guy who can take what is a talented squad and get something more out of it. I believe if this team had a Sigi, or Bruce Arena or Steve Nicol, it'd be a least a few wins better (good enough for playoffs).

stretchthetruth
10-10-2009, 09:21 PM
What in the world was Garcia doing in the final few minutes? We clear the ball, the defence moves forward in a line well above our 18 yard box.

Then Einstein Garcia decides, on his own, to start backpedalling toward our goal.

Ball is sent up field over the established defence line, all the Quakes players are now onside and all hell breaks loose.

ahhhhh, its always so sweet when someone else notices exactly what you were screaming during that play... they'd pushed up well, and SJ were trapped offside, but fearing his own lack of pace, garcia backpedals and puts them onside- fucking everybody else up.

Shep
10-10-2009, 09:31 PM

Let me know, I'm still looking.

I'll gladly buy the tickets.

Shep
10-10-2009, 09:34 PM

Yeah hate him and call him an ignorant fuckin' prick for not having a written speach prepared and cleared with you before he got on the mic.

Sorry, I get that he made coaching mistakes, but wtf is this? Are we going to start wishing him ill next?

DichioTFC
10-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Please feel free to post a picture of an Airplane saying your goodbyes...

He's done...

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy241/navdhanda/planeticket.jpg

nuff said... 1800 hrs to represent the moment EVERYONE lost complete confidence in him. fookin interim idiot.

MartinUtd
10-10-2009, 09:37 PM
I think you're all being too nice. I wouldn't send him packing in any more than this

http://www.rumblestrip.org/site-img/93F_air-to-air.jpg

DichioTFC
10-10-2009, 09:39 PM
I think you're all being too nice. I wouldn't send him packing in any more than this

you're right... i guess a first class ticket is too classy for him

FluSH
10-10-2009, 09:40 PM
http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy241/navdhanda/planeticket.jpg

nuff said... 1800 hrs to represent the moment EVERYONE lost complete confidence in him. fookin interim idiot.

hahaha

If I could... I would have this on the front page of our site... simple as that!

Stryker
10-10-2009, 09:40 PM
We the supporters were behind you when JC left. We called for you to be given the job. We said you deserved the chance.
Well coach, you've blown it. Bad formations, playing people out of their natural postion far too often, piss poor subs and using the wrong players at the wrong time.
You had a better than average team and loads of support from both fans and team personel and failed miserably.
Don't ever say you weren't given a fair chance.

Oldtimer
10-10-2009, 09:44 PM

Isn't this the MLS standard form of travel?

DichioTFC
10-10-2009, 09:46 PM
hahaha

If I could... I would have this on the front page of our site... simple as that!

http://omatic.musicairport.com/
Ticket-o-matic
Create your ticket now!
33 Different Airlines!!
It's free and its fun!!

Please please PRETTY PLEASE put this picture somewhere!!!

DichioTFC
10-10-2009, 09:47 PM
maybe on a banner??
=-|

Shep
10-10-2009, 09:47 PM
I think the level of hatred in this thread is shameful.

CC wasn't fit for the job, simple. But I think he did his personal best.

He has to go, yes.

But look at the way some of you are reacting.. calling him names, laughing at his misfortune, and I don't doubt some of you wish him personal harm.

Now take a look at that.. what kind of person gets so much joy out of someone's failure? Everyone here has the answer, knows what was done wrong.. I say that's bullshit. Footy is never that predictable, obvious mistakes happened... but put ANY one of you in there and you really think you'd do everything right?? He was thrust into the position, did the best he could, and failed.

Give the man a break, thank him for trying, and wish him luck...

Don't call him an ignorant fucking prick, an interim idiot and whatever other witty shit you can come up with to ease your pain. He doesn't deserve it. He's been a stand-up guy, just not the right guy for the job.

But you all act like he just shat in your soup.

Sorry I'm not on the same page as most of you but I don't see how getting personal towards CC is going to help anything.

FluSH
10-10-2009, 09:49 PM

He has to go, yes.

But look at the way some of you are reacting.. calling him names, laughing at his misfortune, and I don't doubt some of you wish him personal harm.

Now take a look at that.. what kind of person gets so much joy out of someone's failure? Everyone here has the answer, knows what was done wrong.. I say that's bullshit. Footy is never that predictable, obvious mistakes happened... but put ANY one of you in there and you really think you'd do everything right?? He was thrust into the position, did the best he could, and failed.

Don't call him an ignorant fucking prick, an interim idiot and whatever other witty shit you can come up with to ease your pain. He doesn't deserve it. He's been a stand-up guy, just not the right guy for the job.

Sorry I'm not on the same page as most of you but I don't see how getting personal towards CC is going to help anything.

It's not worth it getting personal... for what? He's done... it's as simple as that... I said it in my first post... he did the best he could... that was it.

ArmenJBX
10-10-2009, 09:51 PM
http://lnx.musicairport.com/boardingpass/36063676.png

Add that to the list of departures.

Stryker
10-10-2009, 09:52 PM
^^^ Might have something to do with him threatening to leave all together if he wasen't given the postion. Thrust into it my ass.

flatpicker
10-10-2009, 09:52 PM

He has to go, yes.

I agree.

People are getting a little carried away.

If someone is not equipped to do a job you shouldn't attack them.
Just say "thanks for your effort" and let them go.

I don't think everyone wants to say mean things about him.
But some folks are just so bitter they want to attack someone to make them feel better about the situation TFC are in?

Shep
10-10-2009, 09:53 PM
^ might have something to do with him threatening to leave all together if he wasen't given the postion. Thrust into it my ass.

I'd never heard that, where did it come from?

Stryker
10-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Hey Flats, it was cold enough here today to wear my bar scarf for the first time.
Awesome design, I'm lovin it.

Shep
10-10-2009, 09:54 PM
It's not worth it getting personal... for what? He's done... it's as simple as that... I said it in my first post... he did the best he could... that was it.

Your's isn't the only post here, and I've been rereading your reply and I'm not getting the first part:

"It's not worth it getting personal... for what?"

What?

flatpicker
10-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Hey Flats, it was cold enough here today to wear my bar scarf for the first time.
Awesome design, I'm lovin it.

Nice!

I got my hands on the Dichio scarf today.

It's a close second as favourite scarf.
(I'm patting myself on the back... :D )

DichioTFC
10-10-2009, 10:08 PM

He has to go, yes.

not one person has said anything towards him receiving personal harm, so thats quite the leap.

but let's examine today STRICTLY on a financial basis, shall we?
ticket for me and the finacee: $120
three beers: $39
two slices of pizza and bottle of water: $13
parking: $12

i'm HAPPILY willing to INVEST my money into the team if we're putting a winning product on the field. hell, they dont even have to win, just all players have to work hard and be determined.

HOWEVER i WILL NOT tolerate people on the team who CONSTANTLY fail at their position. De Ro does amazing work. Dichio was incredible. Nana constantly impresses. These players dont score every game, and sometimes we lose, but their efforts are at a constantly high level.

Chris Cummins has the position of coach. While his is not physically taxing, he has the most cerebral job on the pitch. Today he failed. Incredibly. Miserably. Because of HIS FAILURES today, my $180 was wasted SPECIFICALLY because he's incapable of finding how to stop letting in goals of the last quarter hour of a game.

As a paying customer its up to me to determine what I feel is worth the value of my money and if something is not up to par, then I'm entitled to express this concern how I please. Clearly, other people in the thread feel similarly. Do you think these people are finding JOY out of his failures? We're frustrated. His personality aside, his demanour aside; this job is SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED to take the heat and criticisms during times of failure and reap the rewards during times of success. Football IS NOT predictable, but he should have been prepared for a determined counter attack by opposing players in the final few minutes and positioned his players accordingly to see off the threat and to compose some tactics to kill time. Its not that he did the best he could, he did NOTHING. Yet, he has the gall to say that he would be a hero if the game ended prior to the goal (as if we would have ignored the fact that we only scored one goal on the second-worst team while playing at home).

I feel that he should fly back home, on a first class ticket no less. If that isnt giving him his due, then I dont know what does.

flambe
10-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Yeah hate him and call him an ignorant fuckin' prick for not having a written speach prepared and cleared with you before he got on the mic.

clearly my point is way over your head.

thanking supporters for singing the nathional anthem as if were the only thing we do game in/out is BS.

Roogsy
10-11-2009, 12:14 AM
What is with these pictures of slow-moving planes that take forever to get anywhere?

He needs to be strapped on to the back of one of these and depart immediately.

http://www.remember911ride.com/B-Jet-Plane.jpg

Roogsy
10-11-2009, 12:23 AM

He has to go, yes.

Your post full of generalizations is just as over the top ridiculous as the ONE post where he was personally insulted and we have taken care of that post. Instead of using that broad brush of yours and giving us all a lesson, how about you set the example and influence participants on this board to be more positive contributors. People here don't react well to "lessons".

Blizzard
10-11-2009, 01:24 AM
^^^ Might have something to do with him threatening to leave all together if he wasen't given the postion. Thrust into it my ass.

That was a rumour. Nobody has confirmed that this took place. It's incredible how one rumour becomes fact in the minds of some people.

Cashcleaner
10-11-2009, 01:52 AM

Simply put, I don't think Johnston had anyone else lined up. As far as I'm concerned, they should both be sent on their way. The clubs needs more than they can offer, though I wouldn't be upset if CC went back to an assistant coaching position.

Yohan
10-11-2009, 05:56 AM
Simply put, I don't think Johnston had anyone else lined up. As far as I'm concerned, they should both be sent on their way. The clubs needs more than they can offer, though I wouldn't be upset if CC went back to an assistant coaching position.
mo's got a few months after this season to search for a replacement...

felipe
10-11-2009, 07:31 AM
I guess I'm by myself on this one - I don't think he's done a poor job.

TFC are starting to look good. I think his tactics were spot on, and we played well. We had 5 starters missing. He picked his best 11 and trusted them to do the job - they very nearly did. Putting on Gerba would not have made a difference, putting on an untested rookie with ten minutes left in a must win game is a recipe for disaster.

He's handed a position with no authority and expected to get respect.

Interim head coach? You should put that designation in front of all coaches - they're all 'interim'.

I think what we have here is 'english accent' envy.

i'll be surprised if we can entice a coach here with better credentials .

I don't understand the hatred for cummins, but then, I didn't understand it for carver either.

trane
10-11-2009, 09:02 AM
^ It is not hatered he has not done what he was hired to do. He is not cutting it is now obvious. He has two gmes to redeem hinlself or he shuold be gone. I am not going to get into all the tacticall issues, but the bottom line is the bottom line. We lost.

flambe
10-11-2009, 09:03 AM
Sorry for my drunken outburst last night.

I'm so disappointed by this club sometimes, it's very frustrating.

ensco
10-11-2009, 09:50 AM
CC will finish the season.

Mo's not going to be the only manager in history to can two coaches in the same season (OK I'm guessing this must have happened in Italy and elsewhere, but I can't think of an example in N American sports).

Davenport
10-11-2009, 09:57 AM
Cummins has done a very poor job.
Read his quotes in the Star this morning.
He obviously has no respect from his players....he says he was trying to get them to push out in the last 20.
A good coach would give it 5 minutes and if there was no change then he'd make a change.
Get that wanker Garcia off and get someone in who could do the job. As usual, he didn't make the change and it cost them.
So, Cummins to blame ?
YES.

s2cazz
10-11-2009, 10:01 AM
^ It is not hatered he has not done what he was hired to do. He is not cutting it is now obvious. He has two gmes to redeem hinlself or he shuold be gone. I am not going to get into all the tacticall issues, but the bottom line is the bottom line. We lost.
I am going to petition that we make you coach...

Carts
10-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Can I hold the door open when he leaves...

WE CAN'T DEFEND A LEAD BY HAVING EVERYONE FALL BACK... learn from your past mistakes...

Carts...

Esquire
10-11-2009, 10:04 AM
From Facebook on the Toronto FC group:

Gina Kirby-Cummins (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=509170133) my hubby has done a great job !! you all have a very short memory i think tfc did win a cup not long ago....don't you all think he would much rather be back in enland with his family ?
than listening to fans who think they can do better......

31 minutes ago
Apparently Chris Cummins' wife doesn't want us to be mad at him.

Davenport
10-11-2009, 10:09 AM

Give me strength. She can't even spell England.

InTheCrowd
10-11-2009, 10:26 AM
It would be stupid to fire Cummins right now.

SteeltownBhoy
10-11-2009, 10:33 AM
Jesus Chris,

You have your wife defending you???

Go back to England, see your kids, have a good life.

It just has not worked out here.

FluSH
10-11-2009, 10:40 AM

Let me correct this:

Gina Kirby-Cummins (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=509170133) my hubby has done a great job !! you all have a very short memory i think Dwanye DeRosario did win a cup not long ago....don't you all think he would much rather be back in enland with his family ?

31 minutes ago

That's better...

Cashcleaner
10-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Gina Kirby-Cummins (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=509170133) my hubby has done a great job !! you all have a very short memory i think tfc did win a cup not long ago....don't you all think he would much rather be back in enland with his family ?

31 minutes ago

With all due respect, ma'am, we don't call it the Miracle in Montreal for nothing. We won the Voyageurs Cup by making up for all the goals in one game against Montreal that we should have scored earlier in the the tournament.

I'm not downplaying the game in Montreal itself, but by all accounts we should have had the NCC in the bag.

Bobo
10-11-2009, 11:42 AM
He should be canned today and the players should self-coach themselves for the next couple games. Actually, give Dichio the last two. The experience would be valuable to him and if it goes sour, who cares? At least it gives us something to be excited about for the last couple games.

billyfly
10-11-2009, 11:45 AM
I think there has to be a change no matter what. We can argue tactics till we are blue in the face but the proof is in the pudding.

Roogsy
10-11-2009, 12:13 PM
The one thing I would agree with Cummins wife (and I think it's a poor idea to respond to angry fans like that) is that it isn't ALL Cummins fault. Mo has put this team together without a plan. It is so Ad-Hoc there is a picture in Wikipedia beside the word. This is a patchwork of good players and roleplayers that makes it twice as difficult to develop a cohesive team with a style.

This team was never going to win anything. I am beginning to think winning the Canadian Championship was a bad thing for us this year. It may have justified not making changes that otherwise should be done. We needed a USL "B team" to roll over for us and we making citing it as a "success" for this year. :rolleyes:

Roogsy
10-11-2009, 12:57 PM
I guess I'm by myself on this one - I don't think he's done a poor job.

TFC are starting to look good. I think his tactics were spot on, and we played well. We had 5 starters missing. He picked his best 11 and trusted them to do the job - they very nearly did. Putting on Gerba would not have made a difference, putting on an untested rookie with ten minutes left in a must win game is a recipe for disaster.

He's handed a position with no authority and expected to get respect.

Interim head coach? You should put that designation in front of all coaches - they're all 'interim'.

I think what we have here is 'english accent' envy.

i'll be surprised if we can entice a coach here with better credentials .

I don't understand the hatred for cummins, but then, I didn't understand it for carver either.

Given everything you said...if he has no respect, what exactly will change next year?

And if he hasn't done a poor job, where exactly is the evidence that he has done a "good" job?

koryo
10-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Hopefully the scenario is as follows:

1. we don't make the post-season (and let's be honest, we've had every chance up to press but insist on not taking advantage)

2 Cummins gets the sack. He's a good training coach but out of his depth as head coach.

3. Johnston must now hire a coach with the understanding that his job hangs in the balance.

If MLSE have a shred of worth, then they'll hold Johnston responsible for the performance of the next manager (as well as the manager and the players). There is absolutely no reason to give him any sort of buffer any more.

Unfortunately, it's not often enough that the people in charge are held accountable for their own poor decision making - be it in football or anything else.

Roogsy
10-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Koryo speaks truth.

FluSH
10-11-2009, 01:27 PM
The one thing I would agree with Cummins wife (and I think it's a poor idea to respond to angry fans like that) is that it isn't ALL Cummins fault. Mo has put this team together without a plan. It is so Ad-Hoc there is a picture in Wikipedia beside the word. This is a patchwork of good players and roleplayers that makes it twice as difficult to develop a cohesive team with a style.

This team was never going to win anything. I am beginning to think winning the Canadian Championship was a bad thing for us this year. It may have justified not making changes that otherwise should be done. We needed a USL "B team" to roll over for us and we making citing it as a "success" for this year. :rolleyes:

I can't blame Mo here... he's pretty much done everything WE have asked him to...

We said that Edu was losing his lustre... BOOM! He gets rid of Edu and brings home $5 Million

We wanted DeRosario... BOOM! We get DeRo...

We wanted JDG because people see him like the Maradonna of Canada... BOOM! We get JDG =/

Everything we've asked Mo has gotten for us... unfortunately...

Carts
10-11-2009, 01:29 PM
I know it seems unlikely, but if Mo is not bringing back CC next season, he probably should fire him tomorrow - simply to make himself look proactive...

Eventually, the teams failures and shortcomings will land on Mo - he's at the top and when things go bad, eventually the top gets cut off...

He can make a strong PR statment by firing CC tomorrow, and saying something like "...losing is not acceptable, at any time... yes there's two games left, but that doesn't matter... failure to perform means there's consequences..."

Let the support staff finish out the year - and let it be known we need an EXCELLENT MLS COACH - and push MLSE to spend enough money to make it happen...

Carts...

Dirk Diggler
10-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Nah ... there are just two more games in the season ... makes no sense to shit on a dead man walking by firing him before the season ends. If Mo actually does that it'll clearly indicate that he is trying to take the heat off himself and make Cummins the sacrificial lamb.

rocker
10-11-2009, 01:34 PM
I can't blame Mo here... he's pretty much done everything WE have asked him to...

We said that Edu was losing his lustre... BOOM! He gets rid of Edu and brings home $5 Million

We wanted JDG because people see him like the Maradonna of Canada... BOOM! We get JDG =/

this is how I see it.

I don't think the parts are not working well together because De Guzman and De Ro and Fellinga and Guevara and Brennan and .... (I could go on) are not suitable for each other. These guys are talented enough footballers to work well together.

It's not like you just put together a team on FIFA 10 based on individual qualities and it'll work perfectly. Yes, there are some holes, but no coach in MLS can expect to have every hole filled and just walk out there and watch them play.

The coach still has work to do to maximize potential. Cummins hasn't done it.

If certain players are not "pushing up" then take them off in the 75th minute and bring in Gala or Gomez with an expressed plan to do that.

grizzle
10-11-2009, 01:39 PM
I think the comments made by his wife are pretty retarded, but the one comment that might need some more discussion is this one made by an Erica Cummins on that same facebook fan page (as she may have some "family" insight that is not public knowledge):

you clearly have no "concept" of what really goes on behind the scenes at a football club, there may be a man out front for you to attack and point the finger at but there's always another man pulling his strings!!

This raises the question is Cummins really the one to blame or is he really just a "fall guy" so that Mo can coach from the behind the scenes without taking any blame for his poor decisions?

King Tut
10-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Goodbye Cummins and MoJo together. Mo needs to go too.

Cashcleaner
10-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Hopefully the scenario is as follows:

1. we don't make the post-season (and let's be honest, we've had every chance up to press but insist on not taking advantage)

2 Cummins gets the sack. He's a good training coach but out of his depth as head coach.

3. Johnston must now hire a coach with the understanding that his job hangs in the balance.

If MLSE have a shred of worth, then they'll hold Johnston responsible for the performance of the next manager (as well as the manager and the players). There is absolutely no reason to give him any sort of buffer any more.

Unfortunately, it's not often enough that the people in charge are held accountable for their own poor decision making - be it in football or anything else.

And once again, I find myself in total agreement here. Johnston has to take responsibility here. And if won't take that responsibility himself, then I guess that's a sign of his character more than anything else.

I don't want to make it personal, I really don't. But Johnston knows what our record is just as much as we do. Time for a new Head Coach and time for a new Director/Manager.

Cashcleaner
10-11-2009, 07:09 PM

So basically you're saying he's not really managing, but rather just doing we tell him to. Fuck, I can do that for half his salary. :D

TFC Tifoso
10-11-2009, 07:10 PM

and this is the problem........I've never heard of a competant director in the world who has made nearly every move based on what the supporters want.....might as well appoint one person from each SGs to run the team.....

Beach_Red
10-11-2009, 07:11 PM
This raises the question is Cummins really the one to blame or is he really just a "fall guy" so that Mo can coach from the behind the scenes without taking any blame for his poor decisions?

Which decisions do you mean? Are you talking about the starting line-up and the substitutions (or lack of subs)?

Would it fool anyone to hide behind an 'interim' coach? In most cases like this, in a GM-coach model set-up, the GM would have fired the coach and taken over himself before now (like Bob Gainey did with the Canadiens last year, as happens all the time on teams with a GM-coach set-up). So why hasn't it happened here?

Beach_Red
10-11-2009, 07:12 PM
and this is the problem........I've never heard of a competant director in the world who has made nearly every move based on what the supporters want.....might as well appoint one person from each SGs to run the team.....

How long have you been in Toronto? The Leafs have been doing it for years.

TFC OZZ
10-11-2009, 07:19 PM

Well then judging by our results we don't know shit. What a surprise.

flatpicker
10-11-2009, 07:25 PM

So basically you're saying he's not really managing, but rather just doing we tell him to. Fuck, I can do that for half his salary. :D

Well then judging by our results we don't know shit. What a surprise.

Just because we are on the brink of another failed season doesn't mean these moves were the wrong ones to make.
I think they were all great moves.
Our major issue is with strikers.... and I don't recall any of us asking for Vitti or Barrett.
If we can add a good striker to the mix of players we have right now, then I think we would be laughing right now.
How many games were TFC "close, but no cigar"?
Some extra goals for a good striker would have changed all that.
Who knows, maybe by the start of next season we will have that person.

Roogsy
10-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Supporters have also been demanding shoring up the back line on defence since before the season began and he didn't do it.

This isn't because Mo "did what we wanted"...this is because he didn't build a team that could win. From the players to the coach, this team was mediocre at best.

TFC OZZ
10-11-2009, 07:33 PM
^^ in my comments I was just trying to say there's more to managing a football club than youtube videos and what we base our "knowledge on" that MO and CC have to deal with; such as contractual issues, money, bargaining, and "good standing" with other teams etc.

flatpicker
10-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Supporters have also been demanding shoring up the back line on defence since before the season began and he didn't do it.

This isn't because Mo "did what we wanted"...this is because he didn't build a team that could win. From the players to the coach, this team was mediocre at best.

Well, the fact remains that a striker's job is to score goals.
And we haven't had that in Toronto.
Imagine if we had someone that knew how to hit the net?
Imagine how many more games we would have won.
We would be in the playoffs by now.

I think Mo tried to find the right striker... but they haven't panned out.
Bad decisions? Bad luck? Who knows.

Cashcleaner
10-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Just because we are on the brink of another failed season doesn't mean these moves were the wrong ones to make.
I think they were all great moves.
Our major issue is with strikers.... and I don't recall any of us asking for Vitti or Barrett.
If we can add a good striker to the mix of players we have right now, then I think we would be laughing right now.
How many games were TFC "close, but no cigar"?
Some extra goals for a good striker would have changed all that.
Who knows, maybe by the start of next season we will have that person.

Some were very good moves, indeed. Strikers was one of the key issues, though I think we really needed to shore up the D as well. The thing is, Barrett should have been tossed a long time ago and I didn't see how anyone could have been all that pumped with Vitti's signing, all anyone had to do was look at his record for the two years before signing with TFC and they would have noted a distinct lack of playing hours.

Beach_Red
10-11-2009, 07:57 PM

And the problem is, it plays like a mediocre team. Let's face it, in a salary-cap, parity league the difference in roster talent between the winning team and the losing team isn't much. To win, mediocre teams have to find ways to outplay their opponents.

In yesterday's game, how many starters were San Jose missing from an already not very good roster? And yet, they came away with a point in an away game, a meaninless game for them and a must-win for us. Does anyone here think San Jose had the better players yesterday?

Was Gerba available? It looked like a game (at least the first half) where he might have made a difference.

flatpicker
10-11-2009, 07:59 PM
^ seriously... what is the deal with Gerba?

Why was he brought here?
He almost never plays!

Roogsy
10-11-2009, 08:08 PM
And Gerba didn't come cheap.

This team, it's coaching and the decisions made on various levels leaves me continuously confused.

Brooker
10-11-2009, 08:53 PM
And Gerba didn't come cheap.

This team, it's coaching and the decisions made on various levels leaves me continuously confused.

agreed. makes my head hurt just thinking about it.

Dirk Diggler
10-11-2009, 09:58 PM

I've disagreed with you quite extensively on various other topics but I have to agree a 100% with this ... Mo's finger prints are all over our team ... his fault is definitely beyond the the constant hiring of incompetent head coaches (including himself).

Roogsy
10-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Careful. Shaughno and I butted heads before we became best buds. :D

Super
10-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Gerba needs a proper pre-season before can honestly rate his strength on this team. For now, though, it's probably better to play White.

Blizzard
10-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Gerba needs a proper pre-season before can honestly rate his strength on this team. For now, though, it's probably better to play White.

As a starter, I agree. I do think Ali could have been useful later in the game as he does hold the ball well.

Beach_Red
10-11-2009, 10:29 PM
As a starter, I agree. I do think Ali could have been useful later in the game as he does hold the ball well.

Most games, sure, but it just seemed in this game TFC came out strong and spent the first 20 minutes in the San Jose end. It just seemed like a game plan that would have suited Gerba. SJ are a weak team and they should have been put away early.

Roogsy
10-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Ali came game fit. And if he wasn't fitting in the system by now, it wasn't Ali, it was the system, assuming that the problem isn't Ali to begin with (which I don't believe it is, I think Ali has the skills to be a productive goal-scorer in MLS.)

Unless the system changes, we will see the same next year.

Inswingingwingman
10-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Teachers own MLSE, outright. They want a pension not a winner. If you show up, drink beer, buy chips, some shirts, hell, they win.

We need an an owner like buddy from Domino's. Never mind losing bucks, never mind the cost, get a cup.

Now if only Blackberry Jim bought MLSE...wow, we'd spend all the cash and WIN.

Right now a bunch of Kindergarten teachers are going, let's lose and sell out the joint.

Nice.

TFC07
10-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Ali came game fit. And if he wasn't fitting in the system by now, it wasn't Ali, it was the system, assuming that the problem isn't Ali to begin with (which I don't believe it is, I think Ali has the skills to be a productive goal-scorer in MLS.)

Unless the system changes, we will see the same next year.

Agreed. We need to decide what type of soccer style we want to play and bring in coaches, management and players who can play that style.

BTW, do senior members of MLSE even pay attention to TFC? It seems like they don't care about TFC at all. The only time they probably think of TFC when they look at profits end of the year to see if they're making money or not from this team. I am sure this was Leafs or Raptors (or at least the Raptors given how quickly MLSE reacts when things go sour in Raptor land), MLSE would be pissed!

stretchthetruth
10-12-2009, 01:03 AM
Teachers own MLSE, outright. They want a pension not a winner. If you show up, drink beer, buy chips, some shirts, hell, they win.

We need an an owner like buddy from Domino's. Never mind losing bucks, never mind the cost, get a cup.

Now if only Blackberry Jim bought MLSE...wow, we'd spend all the cash and WIN.

Right now a bunch of Kindergarten teachers are going, let's lose and sell out the joint.

Nice.

dude, are you going to post this garbage in every thread? lets do some quick research...

ontario teachers pension plan: worth $87,000,000,000.00
toronto fc: worth $44,000,000.00

that means that toronto fc is approximately 0.000506% of the OTPP's investments. they could buy and sell tfc 100x over and not even blink. come up with something better, because kindergarten teachers dont give a flying fuck about toronto fc.

DichioTFC
10-12-2009, 03:31 AM
1. i support canning Cummins, but firing CC before the end of the season is ridiculous. typical knee-jerk reaction by fickle fans.

2. Mo has done a good job. With the exception of competent CBs, the pieces are there, its just a matter of game management, late tactics and fitness (CC & Dasovic).

3. It seems that this year just wasn't the year. Lets play the rookies for the final two and demand a better squad next year (both on the pitch and on the sidelines).

4. ML$E is not the issue. Richard Peddie doesnt call out the subs. They authorized two big deals (Edu and JDG) and managed to get grass approved. ML$E is doing some good work (which KILLS ME to admit, as a Montreal Canadiens fan).

lets not forget that Cummins was never the first choice for Mo. He just had to make do with the leftovers in light of Carver's departure.

jloome
10-12-2009, 08:50 AM
Mo might go heavily after this guy, assuming they have no personal differences. Fits both the "MLS experience" mold and the "British Isles connected" category for Mo.

http://web.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t200&player=spencer_j

Brooker
10-12-2009, 10:10 AM
^^ good call. could happen.

Pigfynn
10-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Mo might go heavily after this guy, assuming they have no personal differences. Fits both the "MLS experience" mold and the "British Isles connected" category for Mo.

Very interesting jloome. Seems to have the right type of experience, especially because he's been with a winner for 4 years. Maybe a thread to help push the idea is in order :D

Detroit_TFC
10-12-2009, 12:54 PM

Do it, Mo.

K1nG
10-13-2009, 01:03 AM
We need a coach who can install a possesion based system. No offence to the Brits but they just cant do that. We shouldn`t be forced to pay to watch kick and chase football.

Fort York Redcoat
10-13-2009, 07:11 AM
These "Brits" I assume is what you mean. To say an entire people should be excluded would be ridculous.

Yohan
10-13-2009, 07:39 AM
CC was too nice of a guy. TFC needs a disciplinarian a la Big Sam Allardyce or Fabio Capello mold.

You dont have to like your manager to play for him. But you do have to respect him as the gaffer. (And listen to what he tells you!)

This is reason why I dont think Yallop would make a good TFC coach. He's too nice too

Oldtimer
10-13-2009, 08:30 AM
These "Brits" I assume is what you mean. To say an entire people should be excluded would be ridculous.
+1

Sir Alex, to give one example, doesn't coach "kick and run," and he's a "Brit."

Oldtimer
10-13-2009, 08:44 AM
CC was too nice of a guy. TFC needs a disciplinarian a la Big Sam Allardyce or Fabio Capello mold.

You dont have to like your manager to play for him. But you do have to respect him as the gaffer. (And listen to what he tells you!)

This is reason why I dont think Yallop would make a good TFC coach. He's too nice too

I've been thinking exactly the same thing.

This team really needs someone in the mold of a Capello. Confident, with a strong "system," and feared (if need be). The fact that they don't listen to their current coach shows a strong need for discipline.

If we had to go Canadian, I'd go with John Limniatiis, who gave Montreal a strong system that even made Adam Braz shine. That's exactly what you need to make up for the fact that lower quality-players form a part of every MLS team, due to roster restrictions and the cap.

A foreign coach would find dealing with the Nick Garcias of MLS too hard to handle. But a good North American coach with a strong system can whip them into shape.

CONCACAF teams have real trouble dealing with a strong defence. LA's improvement this year was mostly due to improving their defensive system (not even the players, who are mostly "no namers"). Someone who has studied the Italian "system" (as boring as their football can be at times) would be the ideal coach to grind out those day-to-day mid-season results. If they had the ability to make full use of our offensive options, as well, TFC would go far.

Beach_Red
10-13-2009, 08:48 AM
^ Exactly.

As that, "if MLS games were only 75 minutes," blog shows, a defensive system on TFC that could simply hold the leads they already have and this team is two points out of first place.

ManUtd4ever
10-13-2009, 09:29 AM

This team really needs someone in the mold of a Capello. Confident, with a strong "system," and feared (if need be). The fact that they don't listen to their current coach shows a strong need for discipline.

If we had to go Canadian, I'd go with John Limniatiis, who gave Montreal a strong system that even made Adam Braz shine. That's exactly what you need to make up for the fact that lower quality-players form a part of every MLS team, due to roster restrictions and the cap.

A foreign coach would find dealing with the Nick Garcias of MLS too hard to handle. But a good North American coach with a strong system can whip them into shape.

CONCACAF teams have real trouble dealing with a strong defence. LA's improvement this year was mostly due to improving their defensive system (not even the players, who are mostly "no namers"). Someone who has studied the Italian "system" (as boring as their football can be at times) would be the ideal coach to grind out those day-to-day mid-season results. If they had the ability to make full use of our offensive options, as well, TFC would go far.

I couldn't agree more...The last few weeks have illustrated that even with deficiencies in TFC's current roster, it is strong enough to have clinched a post season berth by now if not for questionable coaching tactics and personnel decisions. Thanks to Chris Cummins, TFC has found a way to drop points in several matches over the course of the season. If there were no options on the bench, I would fault MoJo as well but I think we can all agree that is not the case. Somehow, TFC is still alive mathematically but if the coaching trend continues and the Reds miss the playoffs again this season, it will be a bitter pill to swallow...

Yohan
10-13-2009, 10:24 AM

I wouldn't get Limiatis because he is a nobody.

Bunch of headcases like TFC needs someone with a bit of resume, so that players automatically have a bit of respect for the manager.

Plus, Limiatis managed to get fired at Impact. CCL run = fluke. Let's not forget the Impact choke

but i agree about Capello. TFC needs a manager that wouldn't hesitate to sit a star player out if the player is not performing, or is not playing the way that the manager wants him to play

Section 117
10-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Hiring someone who would sit a palyer cause they are not doing their job, would require that person to be an individual not Mo's yes man ....

Which IMO is what we have had the last two season

ecospice
10-13-2009, 11:19 AM
The only thing Johnston knows is how to order a drink.
He's an utter waste of space.

I dunno that I would give him credit for even that. I hear he only orders/drinks champagne...

Oldtimer
10-13-2009, 12:18 PM
I wouldn't get Limiatis because he is a nobody.

Bunch of headcases like TFC needs someone with a bit of resume, so that players automatically have a bit of respect for the manager.

Plus, Limiatis managed to get fired at Impact. CCL run = fluke. Let's not forget the Impact choke

but i agree about Capello. TFC needs a manager that wouldn't hesitate to sit a star player out if the player is not performing, or is not playing the way that the manager wants him to play

I only mentioned Limniatiis in the context of getting a Canadian coach. There are others in MLS who would have better resumes.

The thing I would avoid is a foreign coach. As Ruud Gullitt and Carver showed recently (and many others have shown in the past), foreign coaches rarely do well in MLS. You have to be able to make up for the crappy players (mixed amongst the gems) that every MLS team has that produce holes in your field. Most foreign coaches are only used to having top-quality players.

invictusTFC
10-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Yallop would be my first choice. Steve Nicol would be 1A. Both could potentially be looking for a change of scenery next season. Yallop, cuz anything is better than San Jose and Nicol if he doesn't make the playoffs.

Yohan
10-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Yallop would be my first choice. Steve Nicol would be 1A. Both could potentially be looking for a change of scenery next season. Yallop, cuz anything is better than San Jose and Nicol if he doesn't make the playoffs.
i wouldn't take Yallop. two failure of season in SJ. he's also too nice, and I don't think he'd be the disciplinarian that TFC needs

C.Ronaldo
10-13-2009, 12:42 PM
in order to kick it old school

SEEYA

WOULDN'T WANNA BE YA

SteeltownBhoy
10-13-2009, 01:14 PM
Mo has a good relationship with Nichol, Nichol is a proven wimnner. As other posters have stated he may be looking for a change of sceanery.I think this would be a huge win for TFC.

Roogsy
10-13-2009, 01:27 PM

I'd have to agree with this.

This is a situation about respect and order. A Capello-esque manager is needed here. Experience, success and knowledge, the players will have no choice but to do what he says.

Of course, a manager like that would pose a risk and danger to Mo's job, which means Mo won't want to see someone that experienced come in and possibly take his own job someday.

Beach_Red
10-13-2009, 01:59 PM
I'd have to agree with this.

This is a situation about respect and order. A Capello-esque manager is needed here. Experience, success and knowledge, the players will have no choice but to do what he says.

Of course, a manager like that would pose a risk and danger to Mo's job, which means Mo won't want to see someone that experienced come in and possibly take his own job someday.

Winning poses no risk. Losing is the only risk. Sports is a cut throat business, everyone involved knows that.

CC never had a chance because he had the "interim" label the whole year. But you have to think everyone involved knew that.

How long did it take to sign a DP? How long had JDG been the target? TFC went after DeRo from day one.

Let's hope the same thing has been going on in search of a coach.

Hitcho
10-13-2009, 02:20 PM
I don't see how the kind of disciplinarian being mooted on here would work. Those guys get respect through fear of players being dropped. But in MLS with its roster size and cap limit you can't just drop a coupel fo first teamers and let them stew on it because you weaken your team too much by having to replace the dropped players with squad fillers. This actually undermines your position because the dropped players know the team will start to tank and that a recall is guaranteed sooner or later. Then what does the hardline coach have left? Nothing, except smirking players giving him the finger.

I think a coach that commands respect through his football coaching ability is a much better choice. We need someone who can:

- gel an MLS squad into a cohesive team
- get the best out of players individually and collectively
- instil confidence and belief into players
- nail down a system but have the tactical nous to be flexible

Players will respect you as a coach if they believe in what you are doing. Soldiers follow a good captain. They get dissident when they think the captain is leading them to failure through incompetence. You don't need to be a hardline drill sergeant or Fabio Capello. You just have to make the players believe in you, and the best way to do that is to win, or at least come to the club with a winning CV.

Roogsy
10-13-2009, 02:33 PM
^ Damn...these are good points.

Man, these MLS roster rules really suck.

Although, the flip side of this is that you do have the option to drop players partway through the year like Sutton and Ricketts. So Managers are not completely powerless. But this does add an element of complication to keeping players honest and inline.

Hitcho
10-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Yeah, it's a real handicap for managers who want to shake up senior players on their roster. The one thing MLS has going for it over other leagues thoguh is that players can be traded without agreeing to the move first. So if you want to shake up a senior player, you just tell them some crap team has been asking after them, ideally several thousand miles away from where they want to be! But even then, you are limited by transfer windows and the player's knowledge that it's not easy to just go out and grab a replacement under the strict MLS rules.

Anyway, it is what it is. Which is why I think a coach who commands respect through his footballing knowledge and coaching ability is the best cadnidate for any team in MLS, TFC or otherwise.

Success will also strengthen a coach's hand against Mo since a winning coach can refuse to play someone and if he still wins games Mo will be powerless to stop him. Having said that, I'm not sure Mo really interferes in first team selection anyway. For one thing he was crap as head coach and he knows that. For another, he has way too much to be doing to be worrying about selection, especially since you can't make any kind of selection decision if you're not at training sessions to see what's going on. Mo knows this from his time as a player and a coach. So, I think selection is all down to CC. Carver claimed he had that power, so I expect CC does too.

jloome
10-14-2009, 12:00 PM
i wouldn't take Yallop. two failure of season in SJ. he's also too nice, and I don't think he'd be the disciplinarian that TFC needs

This is actually a serious consideration. Player's coahces don't perform well on teams where the egos need serious checking.

Limniatis is a crusty bastard, so I think he'd do OK, assuming we have the expected older player departures in this off-season. But you're right, guys like DeRo and Amado might not respect that young and inexperienced a guy.

VPjr
10-14-2009, 01:32 PM
I will say it again....NOBODY that is marketable will willingly choose to work for Mo. The only guy TFC will get is a coach that is looking for his big break. That doesn't mean it won't be a good coach...just won't be an experienced coach.

jloome
10-14-2009, 03:13 PM
I will say it again....NOBODY that is marketable will willingly choose to work for Mo. The only guy TFC will get is a coach that is looking for his big break. That doesn't mean it won't be a good coach...just won't be an experienced coach.

Heh heh, I've had a few sources in the league suggest this to me as well, but not for the reasons you're thinking (and I know your sources are good and know the general distate your referring to). Anyone coming in is going to want player control. Without it, they stand to be scapegoated by the front office.

Marco2K
10-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Damn. So another Shmuck..

Beach_Red
10-14-2009, 03:34 PM
Heh heh, I've had a few sources in the league suggest this to me as well, but not for the reasons you're thinking (and I know your sources are good and know the general distate your referring to). Anyone coming in is going to want player control. Without it, they stand to be scapegoated by the front office.

Well, as much player control as an MLS team can have. Carver said he had player control - but it's still only out of the pool of players willing to come to MLS. Carver said he identified what he needed and Mo went to find it. Carver handled all the trials and made all the decisions. Maybe Carver felt he could have done a better job going out to find those players and then fitting them onto the roster with the weird MLS rules but we'll never know.

Of course, it all depends on what other offers the coach gets - if it's TFC and NY then Toronto doesn't look so bad (though again, that's for people willing to come to Canada, that's been a problem in the past).

For some guys, of course, this North American model of GM-coach will never work, even though because of the cap and all the other weirdness the two jobs are actually quite seperate. It should work more like an NFL model.

But really, if the money is good and it's Mo that's scaring them off, this league will have a lot of trouble in the North American sports market. No one who watches the NFL would ever be able to take it seriously.

mighty_torontofc_2008
10-14-2009, 03:36 PM
I bet Frank Yallopp would come coach Toronto in a heartbeat!!

no thanks...we dont want to be in the basement again!!

Detroit_TFC
10-14-2009, 03:58 PM
Yallop had some unique situations in his last two teams (Beckham at LAG and restart of Quakes). Prior to that his record was pretty decent. I wouldn't be mad if he came to TFC.

Ontario Arab
10-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Jim McClean...lol.

Sullivan
10-16-2009, 09:32 PM
I've learned that Nicol, Preki & Yallop are all on deals through to the end of next season.

Will TFC buy them out? Surrender allocations, draft picks???

fwiw, the latest rumours floating around the MLS scouts that are currently following the ACC circuit is John Spencer, Houston's assistant is the apple of Mo's eye right now. At prior NSCAA conventions, my crowd have seen TFC's ginger haired bastard frequently in the company of John Spencer - and with others of course (the RFC camp reps), so just sayin, ya know, former Rangers teammates and all... but that's what I'm hearing.

And of course the annual threat, but this year it seems all but a certainty that DCU coach Tom Soehn is out of a job if they fail to make the playoffs.

TFC07
10-16-2009, 09:39 PM
Seriously, does it really matter who is our coach next season? If TFC ever wants to be taken seriously, then they need to get rid of Mo. TFC has so much potential to become an elite team not only in MLS, but in CONCACAF in general if they have the right people running TFC.

e-karam
10-16-2009, 10:53 PM
I blame the players. I say let him finish the season.

Kaz
10-17-2009, 10:20 AM
You know it's funny the Impact choke occured due to poor and questionable coaching.. telling your lads to hold back and just defend your goal lead after the 60th minute mark, and don't take any serious attacking chances ended their CCL run.

It's interesting because that is Cummins strategy after 60 minutes anytime we have a one goal lead. and it's how we tie and lose games. It may not be as extreme but it's repeated falling back and removing of attacking pressure allowing the other side to push up and have many more chances to tie or take the lead.

It's not a winning strategy it's seems obvious to everyone but CC

CretanBull
10-17-2009, 10:26 AM
^ Have you ever watched any of his post-game interviews? Falling back isn't a tatic that he's using, its something that the team does on its own which he has been furious about. Our problem is that Serioux, Garcia and Brennan are all slow and affraid of getting beaten so they play deeper than we should.

rocker
10-17-2009, 10:29 AM
the thing I wonder tho -- wouldn't a better coach have a solution for the problem?

For an analogy: I teach writing to students. I could either 1) tell them "write better!!!!" "stop writing so badly!!!" or 2) I could spend months slowly working on a system, including grammar lessons and style lessons, that will gradually improve their writing.

In the coaching realm, I sometimes wonder if Cummins isn't experienced enough to have a plan like (2), even though he clearly knows there's a problem like (1).

It's one thing to recognize the problem (good) but it's quite another to devise a good solution to the problem.

CretanBull
10-17-2009, 10:36 AM
I don't think that its as simple as that - the guilty parties are all 30+ years old each with over a decade of professional experience. It's not like teaching writing students, it's like try to convince professional writers who have been successfull doing what they do that what they're doing is wrong.

When you've got 3 guys working in tandum, all it takes is for 1 of them to slip back a little and suddenly the off-side line is back further and the other two become affraid of getting caught out, so they fall back etc.

Beach_Red
10-17-2009, 10:53 AM
It's one thing to recognize the problem (good) but it's quite another to devise a good solution to the problem.

And let's remember, the opposition we're talking about here was the San Jose Earthquakes.

Sure, it's not simple, but it's where experience comes into play. If the coach is always furious after the game that the players aren't doing what he says, then that's pretty much that, isn't it, nowhere to go from there.

As he gets more experience chances are Cummins will find ways to get players to do what he wants more. How often do we hear the phrase, "buy into the system," when talking about coaches. How often do we hear things like, "His routine wore thin and the players aren't buying into it," after a few years.

I know it's an NFL expression, but there's some truth to, "You don't have to be the best team, you just have to be the best team on Sunday."

Sometimes championship teams have holes in their rosters and they overcome that, that's what makes sports so great.

Kaz
10-17-2009, 01:04 PM
then it's a leadership issue and a issue that can be solved by giving them some time on the bench. If Cummins can't control his team, then that is another issue and another very good reason he should go.

jabbronies
10-17-2009, 01:16 PM
IMO the best system is one that is continualy evolving and improving on itself to make sure there are no holes that can be exploited or that certain strengths are taken advantage of.

You need a real tactition to get this done. It'll be tough to find someone who has a system laid out and ready to be implimented. And for that person to be able to change and adapt it, depending on the situtation.

It's not just about 4-4-2 or 4-4-3. It's how you play within that formation and how those pieces move to utilize your strengths and support your weaknesses (not hide them).

We haven't really seen that here in 3 years. Cummins is more or a skills builder. Someone who can take raw talent and mature it into a professional level player. He's not a tactition. I also question wether Carver was as well.

Lucky Strike
10-17-2009, 01:30 PM
I think the most frustrating part of the past two TFC coaches was that the team was playing extraordinary when those men first came to the job. And then something happens and performance takes a nosedive. We need someone who can constantly get the best out of players. Part of it is also on the players who apparently don't play to their potential but it's a lot easier to replace a coach than an entire squad.