PDA

View Full Version : Is Football A Big Joke In Toronto?

Barbarez
06-10-2008, 06:09 AM
http://ultras114.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

tfc_4_ever
06-10-2008, 06:21 AM
That sucks Dont understand why one tv could be switched.

Canadian Blue
06-10-2008, 06:22 AM
Good read

MG42
06-10-2008, 06:30 AM
I had to go out for dinner to a Longest Yard for the last DCU away game and they switched one of the TVs to the TFC game during a Stanley Cup game! Too bad the food sucked! Boston Pizza is shite.

ensco
06-10-2008, 06:31 AM
He's bang on about fieldturf and the cheapo stadium hurting the acceptance of MLS.

But he's not acknowledging the progress. Remember the first few weeks last year, when there was maybe one story a week in the major dailies? Also, I think most bars now would have put the TFC game on a set, which wouldn't have been true a year ago.

Maybe those "No Argos at BMO" shirts should have "No Boston Pizza" on the sleeve?

Fort York Redcoat
06-10-2008, 06:34 AM
I had yesterday off and watched the Euros in a pub round the corner that wouldn't think of playing the TFC matches unless I ask. Even then they will keep the sound down. We've got a ways to go till TFC and MLS are ingrained week to week. Notice the coverage on TV. As soon as the team go on the road the stations covering seem to fluctuate what time the game will play. Right now football is a live attraction that the general public won't commit to till they feel it's "big enough".

I have a feeling you guys show up for a couple more games like you did and made it your hangout for games Boston Pizza would take your money. It's kind of funny though because people thought this way about basketball around here when we were kids.

Carts
06-10-2008, 06:49 AM
Things take time...

Once upon a time you had a tough time getting a Raptors game on a TV in a pub in Toronto - and an even harder time in the burbs... And to this day, they'd still come in last after Leafs, Jays, and major international competitions (if they ever collided)...

Rome wasn't built in a day... We're the new kids on the block - its frustrating being that guy, but its reality...

Carts...

Barbarez
06-10-2008, 07:02 AM
Guys, we're talking about switching the channel on one t.v from an NBA game to support your citys football club....we're not asking to change the channel from a leaf/raptors/jays game to a TFC game...pretty pathetic if you ask me...

Red CB Toronto
06-10-2008, 07:18 AM
This is just the reality of a growing team, the roots are still trying to take hold, we have a good amount of supporters for TFC, but the truth is that overall the Reds have a long way to go.

Batman
06-10-2008, 07:24 AM
I hate to be agreeing with Barbarez but here goes.

Local bars should always give priority to local teams.

I wound not step foot in that Boston Pizza again if they did that to me.

The Kingpin
06-10-2008, 07:33 AM
The main message of this article is being missed. The Supporters are constantly pandering to the wishes of the FO and MLS. Getting any group to stand up for any cause is an endless task... Unless of course it's self serving and altruistic. Is this being political, I don't think so. It's being a supporter and a beacon lighting the way to a strong and loyal experience. This is what is slipping through our fingers...

Barbarez
06-10-2008, 07:37 AM
The main message of this article is being missed. The Supporters are constantly pandering to the wishes of the FO and MLS. Getting any group to stand up for any cause is an endless task... Unless of course it's self serving and altruistic. Is this being political, I don't think so. It's being a supporter and a beacon lighting the way to a strong and loyal experience. This is what is slipping through our fingers...

Right on.

adamdz
06-10-2008, 07:50 AM
For once an article, and opinions I can agree with fully.

djking2
06-10-2008, 08:07 AM
Just a point before we relegate Boston Pizza to the trash bin. Ask the waiter, then the bartender, then the assistant to the manager and so on. It's kinda like the old try try again thing really

Angelo1405
06-10-2008, 08:11 AM
wow this was a great read. although it kinda does make sense in seeing the Finals, in a Boston pizza place...its like watching the World Cup, same thing :o but yeah in Many places, MLS is a joke, you think you have it bad in Canada ? come to the US where you are RAPED by boring baseball, hand-ball, nascar, poker, spelling bee, 24/7. one network who really avoids Futebol is ESPN. that includes pti, jim rome and the rest. they wont even show 2 minute highlights for the mls on their show, but would much rather show rumors about bret farve, spring training baseball, and more F'ing baseball. they also show basketball and hockey too, but i kinda like them :p. futebol in america is 50x worse than it is in canada, you actually get tv ads on your tv, magazines,etc. we get nothing !!! i wanna see this league grow, but all we supporters can do is Wait, and make an amazing atmosphere. someday, ill see it be as big as the nfl w/ packed stadiums every night :rolleyes:

Billy the kid
06-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Is anyone else not surprised that more people are watching the NBA finals than TFC? If it were me, I'd rather watch TFC but MLS is no where close to as popular in Toronto as basketball is. You go in there with even 10 people who want to watch the game and they'll change the channel on one of the tv's.

redcard
06-10-2008, 08:26 AM
i think the perception with many folks about the mls is that its a league for US college players that couldnt make it in europe...

their thinkg - why put a low quality product on tv in a bar, when you want to keep the folks in there watching a 'professional player' that makes real money - real entertaintment...

until the cap is increased to attract better players, i dont think the attitude about the mls will change.

brad
06-10-2008, 08:27 AM
I hate to be agreeing with Barbarez but here goes.

Local bars should always give priority to local teams.

That sure would be nice, but they are in it to make money, not to support any team given team.

ExiledRed
06-10-2008, 08:28 AM
Unless of course it's self serving and altruistic.

This is an Oxymoron.

(hi pat, didnt realise you'd changed your name, but that slip gave you away :D)

Jay P
06-10-2008, 08:35 AM
yeah I remember the Galaxy away game back in april, we went to a bp to watch the game, and the masters/stanley cup playoffs were on at the same time, we asked 2 servers and then the manager to change the channel to the TFC game, we had to wait a bit but we got it

Phil
06-10-2008, 08:36 AM
I find that most bars will show NBA finals because they have money riding on it.

I don't agree with it being a supporter of TFC. I think the city should take pride in their teams. I think the author and Kingpin make a good point.

H Bomb
06-10-2008, 08:38 AM

When do the supporters "constantly pander to the wishes of the FO and MLS". I know you bitch about this all the time but lets see it dude. When, where, how. The ticket prices went up, that's all I can think of. Everything else is just a standard childish being pissed off by "the man" just because their brains haven't left high school yet. The only sad supporters brought up in that article are the ones who stayed and paid for their meal at a restaurant that wouldn't change a TV. Then he has the balls to tell other fans that THEY are the ones accepting BS from other people(FO, MLS). We should start a "Ultras daily bitch" sticky.

nascarguy
06-10-2008, 08:42 AM
i was at my Local bar last year to watch a game I ask them to turn on the game they said yes just wait a min got my beer wait for them to turn it on they did not put it on before my beer was done so i left the bar with out paying for my beers & went down the street to the next bar and got them to put it.

Nodoubtguy
06-10-2008, 08:43 AM
I can see why they would choose game 2 of the most hyped NBA finals in years over a TFC vs Dynamo game. Obviously one will bring in more people and have more patrons interested. I also believe they could have changed one TV.

I think we can all agree that a Lakers/Celtics games has a more wider appeal, even in Toronto, then a TFC game. Sad, but true

Parkdale
06-10-2008, 08:49 AM
some very good points.

As much as I'd like to see TFC on TV at local spots,
it's not at the point where it will be shown over the playoffs
in any of the 'established sports' like Hockey, Baseball or Basketball.
It's really shitty they wouldn't change ONE tv for you guys,
but I do understand that they just play into the hierarchy of North American sports.

and then there's always that one prick who shows up right when the bar opens
to watch F1 racing, then gets all pissy when 100+ of us roll into Joe's and want
to watch the TFC game. I guess he thinks that his $30 tab has paid for the rental of one tv.

brad
06-10-2008, 08:50 AM
I also believe they could have changed one TV.

Was there a TV that wasn't being watched by tables full of NBA fans? It's one thing to change a TV that isn't being watched, it's another to change one that tables full of people are currently watching.

Nodoubtguy
06-10-2008, 08:53 AM
Was there a TV that wasn't being watched by tables full of NBA fans? It's one thing to change a TV that isn't being watched, it's another to change one that tables full of people are currently watching.

for sure, i agree......I mean, if they have a wall with 2 or 3 tv's together, all playing the finals, changing one wouldn't hurt, but changing one that people are actively watching....not cool.

Imagine if we were all at Joes watching TFC, and they changed the channel to basketball, even on one tv......I can bet some people would be freaking out, even though it was only one of many tvs

Barbarez
06-10-2008, 09:00 AM
When do the supporters "constantly pander to the wishes of the FO and MLS". I know you bitch about this all the time but lets see it dude. When, where, how. The ticket prices went up, that's all I can think of. Everything else is just a standard childish being pissed off by "the man" just because their brains haven't left high school yet. The only sad supporters brought up in that article are the ones who stayed and paid for their meal at a restaurant that wouldn't change a TV. Then he has the balls to tell other fans that THEY are the ones accepting BS from other people(FO, MLS). We should start a "Ultras daily bitch" sticky.

Aside from stuffing your face with buffalo wings at joes and being a lil bitch thats scared to show your face in public, what have you personally done to show your support for TFC?

Parkdale
06-10-2008, 09:02 AM
^ let's not make it personal or this thread gets closed. I'm on my best behavior today and advise everyone else to be as well.

olegunnar
06-10-2008, 09:03 AM
I know it's barely been a year and a half but it is disappointing that the game is still secondary to the show in the stands.

I think it's very telling how bad the tv ratings are. If people gave a crap about the game they'd watch. Instead it seems like people only want to go see the show live.
I think it would be interesting if there was ever a survey done of fans at BMO. List the reasons why you came in order of preference. It's sad but I bet the game wouldn't be higher than 3rd or 4th on the majority of surveys.

So ignoring the micro details (BP, NBA, paying your tab if they won't change the channel etc.) and just addressing the macro point. Yes, I agree that football is still a joke in Toronto.

Barbarez
06-10-2008, 09:04 AM
^ let's not make it personal or this thread gets closed. I'm on my best behavior today and advise everyone else to be as well.

Fuck off man, he came in here with the personal bullshit.

olegunnar
06-10-2008, 09:04 AM

Is it out of line to make jokes about someone that posts a public album of a cat...a cat!! on their rpb profile page?

Phil
06-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Aside from stuffing your face with buffalo wings at joes and being a lil bitch thats scared to show your face in public, what have you personally done to show your support for TFC?

You know what, don't make it personal here Barbarez. H-bomb brings flags, shows up for reserve games and is one of the louder voices in the south end.

H Bomb
06-10-2008, 09:06 AM

I love the internet warrior attitude of "you never show you face in public" That's as retarded as everything else you say on here. Here's a good link for you to post these shitty articles on www.ultras114.com . stay there you worthless fuck.

Sorry Parky...no interest in best behavior today.

jabbronies
06-10-2008, 09:09 AM
NBA finals or TFC regular season game....hmmmm I know what I would pick, however, I'm not a fan ofbasketball, just the Raptors.

However, it's taken basketball a while to get to this point. I remember the first few years the Raptors were around, NBA had just as hard a time getting viewings at the bars. It was all about the MLB and NHL back then.

Also, people are interested in the type of NBA Final it is this year. Celtics and Lakers, two historic teams playing in the finals. It's not like it's a regular season NBA game that is taking over the TFC time.

Ladies Love Julius James
06-10-2008, 09:11 AM
I wouldn't say football is a joke in Toronto but I believe that the ideology is that if you arent at at TFC game to watch it live, then there's no point at watching it at all. That's pretty much how it's viewed around the city. Guys at pubs who've made it out to one or two games agree that it's a blast but they won't bother to watch it on tv. NBA finals is a big deal with a lot of money involved, so I could understand customers coming to watch the game. However, one freakin tv is not asking for much and they should have done it. Makes no sense considering you got so much tvs and yet you can't change one.

jabbronies
06-10-2008, 09:12 AM

I don't think he was talking to you at first. I think it was to H-Bomb - look at the post times.

Barbarez
06-10-2008, 09:12 AM
I love the internet warrior attitude of "you never show you face in public" That's as retarded as everything else you say on here. Here's a good link for you to post these shitty articles on www.ultras114.ca (http://www.ultras114.ca) . stay there you worthless fuck.

Sorry Parky...no interest in best behavior today.

Internet warrior you are... half the RPB know me personally along with U sector and NEE. It's not hard to find me man...if you have anything against myself or my group you come to liberty and say it to our faces. I dont know you or the people you hang out with so stop being a lil PC bitch and confront me please.

Parkdale
06-10-2008, 09:15 AM

He was talking about the article you posted. that's it.

Kevvv
06-10-2008, 09:16 AM
Guess I better post before lock-down...

No-one should try to draw a connection between the people who attend TFC games (and the ones who can't get tickets) with people who don't care about the team and/or football. The sport and the MLS just don't have the level of support that other sports do.

And the idea that a basketball fan should prefer watching the local football team over the NBA finals doesn't hold water either - how many of you would prefer watching a Marlies game over football? Would you rather watch (yet another) Jays game, or the FA cup?

Barbarez
06-10-2008, 09:16 AM
He was talking about the article you posted. that's it.

"Then he has the balls to tell other fans that THEY are the ones accepting BS from other people(FO, MLS). We should start a "Ultras daily bitch" sticky."

olegunnar
06-10-2008, 09:18 AM
I wouldn't say football is a joke in Toronto but I believe that the ideology is that if you arent at at TFC game to watch it live, then there's no point at watching it at all. That's pretty much how it's viewed around the city. Guys at pubs who've made it out to one or two games agree that it's a blast but they won't bother to watch it on tv. NBA finals is a big deal with a lot of money involved, so I could understand customers coming to watch the game. However, one freakin tv is not asking for much and they should have done it. Makes no sense considering you got so much tvs and yet you can't change one.

I think your post supports what I was trying to say. It's a live event culture that's based on a foundation of "having a blast" rather than an affinity for the game of soccer.

I get that the game at this level is new to the masses, and I have no problem with "having a blast" luring new fans in, but I'd hoped by now there'd be more of a foundation of soccer fans rather than party fans.

Mark in Ottawa
06-10-2008, 09:19 AM
We had a similiar happening here in Ottawa early in the TFC season. Granted the smallish pub we were in only had a few TV's but they would not even entertain the thought of putting the TFC game on one of them so...
we drank up, paid our bill and told them we would not be back.
And I for one haven't been back except once at a lunch time when I explained to a manager that they had "missed the boat" on garnering repeat business.

Ladies Love Julius James
06-10-2008, 09:22 AM
I think your post supports what I was trying to say. It's a live event culture that's based on a foundation of "having a blast" rather than an affinity for the game of soccer.

I get that the game at this level is new to the masses, and I have no problem with "having a blast" luring new fans in, but I'd hoped by now there'd be more of a foundation of soccer fans rather than party fans.

Agreed, by now there should be a foundation of soccer fans as opposed to those who just have a good time and care fuck all after 90mins is up. However, with 16,000 season ticket holders, that's really a close-knit community. The other 4,000 will change from game to game. Still don't understand why one tv wasnt changed, customer satisfaction should be the key at any establishment.

Pyeddo
06-10-2008, 09:25 AM
That article was well written and sums up EXACTLY how I feel.

Cheers Ultras

H Bomb
06-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Internet warrior you are... half the RPB know me personally along with U sector and NEE. It's not hard to find me man...if you have anything against myself or my group you come to liberty and say it to our faces. I dont know you or the people you hang out with so stop being a lil PC bitch and confront me please.

And they know me personally too, and it's not hard to find me, and I'm pretty sure you're the asshole who comes onto our board to bitch about us, not the other way around. So please please please, fuck off.

Nodoubtguy
06-10-2008, 09:29 AM
Still don't understand why one tv wasnt changed, customer satisfaction should be the key at any establishment.

But what about the customers who were already there and watching the finals?? they were paying money for food and drinks too, and I guarantee that there were more basketball fans then TFC fans there.

Barbarez
06-10-2008, 09:30 AM
And they know me personally too, and it's not hard to find me, and I'm pretty sure you're the asshole who comes onto our board to bitch about us, not the other way around. So please please please, fuck off.

Who knows you man?????? Nobody, you hang out with your lil rpb clique and you're unseen and unheard from. Not too long ago you didn't want to show up to a tifo making because you found out that I was going. Whos the lil bitch now???

Barbarez
06-10-2008, 09:31 AM
But what about the customers who were already there and watching the finals?? they were paying money for food and drinks too, and I guarantee that there were more basketball fans then TFC fans there.

It's BP, it's not like they only have 2 t.vs in the whole joint.

flatpicker
06-10-2008, 09:33 AM
I thought the article made some good points.
It was definitely more enjoyable than the last one.
As people have said, TFC is still growing and I think we should have a little patience.
I'm not saying we should be complacent though.
We need to keep showing the great support, and even do more to show our enthusiasm.
More people are coming around... and more people will continue to come around.

It was good to read:

Our focus is to be a portal for newcomers to the beautiful game looking to understand the culture better, and for already-established football enthusiasts aiming to better their understanding of the sport.

Those are the kind of words I want to hear.
That message comes through far clearer than the one in the last story.

H Bomb
06-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Who knows you man?????? Nobody, you hang out with your lil rpb clique and you're unseen and unheard from. Not too long ago you didn't want to show up to a tifo making because you found out that I was going. Whos the lil bitch now???

hahahahahahhaha

You're so fucking Ultra. I know a huge amount ofthe folks on here and in the North End, and know many U-Sectorians as well, not that I need to explain myself to a cunt like you. Now like I said, go back to your cave and bitch there you stupid fuck

Come on Mods, is this seriously not enough to close a thread ^^^

Parkdale
06-10-2008, 09:35 AM

drop it man. seriously. drop it.

Parkdale
hahahahahahhaha

You're so fucking Ultra. I know a huge amount ofthe folks on here and in the North End, and know many U-Sectorians as well, not that I need to explain myself to a cunt like you. Now like I said, go back to your cave and bitch there you stupid fuck

Come on Mods, is this seriously not enough to close a thread ^^^

you drop it too. really - ignore him.

Phil
sandbox is closed.

Jack
06-10-2008, 09:36 AM
You should have gone to Shoeless, Barbarez. I guarantee you the match would have been on there ;)

The hard reality is that this article makes some excellent points. The only way we will see this change is with time and by staying true. We cannot expect to change the Toronto sports mentality overnight, but we should continue to stay the course and build on what we have.