PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Tuesday , Jun.10

denime
06-10-2008, 06:00 AM
Morning.
No so many TFC news today,all news are Euro 08 related.
If you find some during a day feel free to post here.Thanks

Smith pleased with progress
Toronto FC Media Relations

Toronto FC's Jarrod Smith believes his promotion to the senior roster is reward for a lot of hard work. Pat Phelan's departure to New England Revolution last week paved the way for Smith to be promoted from the developmental roster. "It means a lot," said Smith. "When I signed on a developmental contract for the team, my goal was to get myself bumped up as soon as possible." Smith is a New Zealand international, and played in his native land for Hawkes Bay United in 2007. But since joining Toronto FC in pre-season, he has impressed coach John Carver and has made nine MLS appearances, starting three times.
"I had almost a year off with hamstring problems and coming into pre-season I still wasn't at 100 per cent. But with training every day, and being in this kind of environment, I've been improving with every training session. I've pretty much got what I wanted so far, which was to get up to a senior contract, and now the sky is the limit really. The platform is there and now I've got to keep working and try to keep improving," said Smith.

Read more (http://www.mlsnet.com//news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080609&content_id=164379&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

http://i28.tinypic.com/29qmuj7.jpg

SUNHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/SUNshineGirl/home.html)

Oldtimer
06-10-2008, 07:33 AM
TFC Academy are now 2-4-0 in the Canadian Soccer League after a 2-0 defeat against Portugal FC at Lamport Stadium.
Portugal captain Danny Amaral opened the scoring with a penalty 5 minutes after half time. Referee Isaac Lambert awarded the spot kick after Amaral was brought down by the Academy's John-Louis Perruzza. Peruzza was also sent off, leaving TFC a man down for the rest of the game. Portugal FC sealed the win in the 65th minute with a goal from Ramon Bailey.
TFC Academy (under 18's) return to action on Sunday, June 15th at Lamport Stadium against Serbian White Eagles. Kick off is 3:00 p.m.
TFC Academy Under 16's are playing in the CSL Reserve Division this season. After opening their campaign with a 7-1 win against Portugal FC Reserves last week, they are back in action on Monday, June 9th, against North York Astros Reserves at Esther Shiner Stadium. Kick off 9:00 p.m.

http://www.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080609&content_id=164224&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Oldtimer
06-10-2008, 07:44 AM
When San Jose's Ronnie O'Brien finally got to take the first corner kick in front of the Crew supporters section near the end of the first half, it rained streamers on him for nearly a minute. Think maybe the Hudson Street Hooligans, Crew Union and La Turbina supporters groups didn't get Major League Soccer commissioner Don Garber's memo about using streamers only to celebrate goals?
"Kiss my (butt), Don Garber!" one guy screamed.
Huh. I guess they got it.

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2008/06/08/hunter08.ART_ART_06-08-08_C1_I7AEE69.html?sid=101

MLS Commissioner Don Garber has indicated that it's not "if" St. Louis lands a team, but "when."
"We would like St. Louis to be our next team," Garber said. "We want a team in St. Louis."

http://www.thetelegraph.com/sports/louis_14892___article.html/team_cooper.html

Technorgasm
06-10-2008, 09:10 AM
When will MLS go to a Single Table Format?
This conference thing is . . . . . . well it blows HAHA

Will MLS EVER go to a single table format? Has it ever been discussed officially?

and for that matter. . . What is the general feeling here. . . how many years will it be before THEY BELIVE US AND WE WIn THE LEAGUE?

Oldtimer
06-10-2008, 09:26 AM
When will MLS go to a Single Table Format?
This conference thing is . . . . . . well it blows HAHA

Will MLS EVER go to a single table format? Has it ever been discussed officially?

and for that matter. . . What is the general feeling here. . . how many years will it be before THEY BELIVE US AND WE WIn THE LEAGUE?

Garber has stated that they will consider moving in that direction, but only once more teams are in the league. No guarantees, it's just something they will be looking at down the road.

Nerepis
06-10-2008, 09:46 AM
How is the Galaxy at 5-4-2 in the poor Division rated 2 positions above a 5-4-2 TFC in a far stronger Division? I'm not even going into the fact that we beat them.:noidea:

Flashman
06-10-2008, 01:12 PM
How is the Galaxy at 5-4-2 in the poor Division rated 2 positions above a 5-4-2 TFC in a far stronger Division? I'm not even going into the fact that we beat them.:noidea:

Twice!!

BeachRed
06-10-2008, 01:31 PM
I grew up on North American sports so I'm used to conferences and unbalanced schedules. What's the advantage of a single table? Would we play every other team the same amount of times?

denime
06-10-2008, 01:36 PM
I grew up on North American sports so I'm used to conferences and unbalanced schedules. What's the advantage of a single table? Would we play every other team the same amount of times?
Yes we would,and the REAL top 8 would go to playoffs not conference 1st,2nd,3rd.and than best two teams.

scooter
06-10-2008, 08:53 PM
yes it would be great to all be on the same level
get on that mls stop the bull and shite

flatpicker
06-10-2008, 09:00 PM
i have no issue with conferences... as long as they more clearly define them as separate entities.

The MLB format would suit me fine.
- play within your conference, but with a handful of inter-league games thrown in.
- have the top 2 from each play for the East and West championship
(or better yet, just have the top teams declared winners of East and West).
- then those two winners play for the league championship.

Conferences and divisions are fine because the geographical size of the league.
But I can't stand it when you have divisions and then they get tossed out the window come playoff time.