PDA

View Full Version : It's official!! From Mayor's office GRASS APPROVED...

Stugatzo
10-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Don't say we never do anything for ya!! :-P
This press release being sent out now by me.
Stuart

Plan to increase access to soccer facilities, lay grass at BMO Field gets final approvals

Oct. 9, 2009 - Toronto Mayor David Miller today announced that with Provincial and Federal government approvals now in place, a plan by Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment to increase public access to year-round soccer facilities and install grass at BMO Field can proceed.

“The agreement of our government partners means tremendous things for soccer at both the community and professional levels,” Mayor Miller said. “Since BMO Field (Canada’s National Soccer Stadium) was built with public money from all three orders of government, their support was necessary to allow this plan to proceed. I want to thank Federal Infrastructure Minister John Baird and Provincial Health Promotion Minister Margarett Best for recognizing this tremendous opportunity and working with the City and MLSE to make it happen.
“This is a terrific example of the public and private sectors working together to build our city and the sport of soccer and also means good things for the community and for the players on Toronto FC and all our National teams.”

With the final government approvals - including a unanimous Sept. 30 City Council decision - and the required building permits now secured, Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment will invest $5.5 million and manage the work required to advance the sport in Toronto including investments of:

$3.5 million to replace the Field Turf at BMO Field with a natural grass field.

$2.0 million investment in community sports facilities; including an estimated $1.2 million to upgrade Allan Lamport Stadium with a winter bubble and an $800,000 investment in another artificial turf soccer field in the city.

“Converting BMO Field into a natural grass surface will have tremendous benefits for our community, our city, Toronto FC and soccer in Canada,” said Bob Hunter, executive vice-president of venues and entertainment for Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment. “BMO Field’s natural grass surface will support growing and developing soccer at amateur, national and professional levels, by creating greater levels of access and opportunity. It will also help attract high-profile soccer events to our stadium, creating a positive economic impact for our city.”

Hunter added “There are so many people to thank for their support and approval of this positive initiative including represents from all three levels of government and especially Mayor David Miller and Deputy Mayor Joe Pantalone.”

The upgrades to these three facilities will result in more than 2,500 more hours available for community sport use and have met with support from the Canadian and Ontario soccer associations as well as residents and businesses near Lamport Stadium in Liberty Village.

It is expected that the bubble will be installed at Lamport by the end of November with work to install grass at BMO Field taking place this fall with completion next spring in time for the start of Major League Soccer’s 2010 regular season.

-30-

:flare::flare::drum::drum::flare::flare:

DOMIN8R
10-09-2009, 12:18 PM
Great. Thank you, Stu. You have been helping move this along for quite sometime. On behalf of all those who care about grass at BMO...

Thank You!

drewski
10-09-2009, 12:20 PM
woohoo!

Stugatzo
10-09-2009, 12:20 PM
It's my absolute pleasure to finally have this settled!!
You (we) all should be proud of the way this was handled and how we got governments and MLSE to move quickly on something that is so good for so many reasons!
Great way to start the long weekend!

Damien
10-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Now Beckham, Fuckerby and O'brien can put their hanky's away.

lintberg
10-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Fantastic news!!

Cashcleaner
10-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Well this is good news. Personally, I wouldn't say I was as critical of the artificial surface as most other were, but I'm really glad the situation is over and done with. It looks like all parties are coming out of this with something to take to the bank, which I'm definitely glad to hear.

stugautz
10-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Awesome news!

Now I noticed it's raining outside...how about a roof?? :D

drewski
10-09-2009, 12:26 PM
time to find a new excuse

Dave67
10-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Thank God! Good riddance to the current turf.

Technorgasm
10-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Now Beckham, Fuckerby and O'brien can put their hanky's away.

took the words right out of fuckerby's crab invested shorts. . .

EAT IT twaats

Parkdale
10-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Now I noticed it's raining outside...how about a roof?? :D

we'll never have a full roof now - because the grass needs sunlight and water.

Personally, I like being outside for the games. A partial roof (over seats only) would be nice, but not at the expense of grass.

Flipityflu
10-09-2009, 12:33 PM
good job by all

Cashcleaner
10-09-2009, 12:42 PM

Personally, I like being outside for the games. A partial roof (over seats only) would be nice, but not at the expense of grass.

A partial covering of some sort would definitely help. My beef about the lack of a roof doesn't have so much to do with rain, but more to do with shade during the really hot periods. Fuck, when you're in the middle of a mid-August heatwave, you wish for a little rain now and then.

Detroit_TFC
10-09-2009, 12:42 PM
From dream to reality.

If Tyrone Marshall digs a hole in our new pitch, I'll kick his ass.

rocker
10-09-2009, 12:45 PM
A partial covering of some sort would definitely help. My beef about the lack of a roof doesn't have so much to do with rain, but more to do with shade during the really hot periods. Fuck, when you're in the middle of a mid-August heatwave, you wish for a little rain now and then.

come over to the west side ;) by 3:30 much of the lower west side is covered in beautiful shade. :)

mlsintoronto
10-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Stuart - how DARE you scoop me on this board. The right to announce good news is MINE, not yours.

Dick.

drewski
10-09-2009, 12:54 PM

technically its possible, ie retractable roof or retractable grass (ie. arizona cardinals stadium) though admittedly cost prohibitive.

mlsintoronto
10-09-2009, 12:55 PM
It looks like all parties are coming out of this with something to take to the bank, which I'm definitely glad to hear.

Wellll...This is going to hurt my bonus this year but I'll take up a collection in the parking lot tomorrow. ;);)

mlsintoronto
10-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Stuart - how DARE you scoop me on this board. The right to announce good news is MINE, not yours.

Dick.

I suppose I should put a smiley or something but I just cant.

nimamalek
10-09-2009, 12:57 PM
lets bring back Obrien, we need a guy who can actually cross :)

TFC Cityboy
10-09-2009, 01:05 PM
I love this board....Mayor's Press/Publicity Guy and Dir Ops of BMO field duking it out on the boards in a friendly manner. Coffees all round at the tailgate to celebrate ;)

No wonder this board is the place to come for all the breaking news!

Stugatzo
10-09-2009, 01:07 PM
I suppose I should put a smiley or something but I just cant.

I like to think of our relationship like good cop/bad cop...you crush supporters' hopes and I lift their spirits.

:hump:

Stugatzo
10-09-2009, 01:08 PM
I love this board....Mayor's Press/Publicity Guy and Dir Ops of BMO field duking it out on the boards in a friendly manner. Coffees all round at the tailgate to celebrate ;)

No wonder this board is the place to come for all the breaking news!

Shhhh...don't tell anyone but they went to high school together.

:D

Parkdale
10-09-2009, 01:09 PM

Dick.

I thought it was your right to show up late, post a snarky comment and then retreat to your evil lair while us mods clean up the mess.

now which smiley makes the most sense here....

:hat:

^ when in doubt... go with the hat.

mlsintoronto
10-09-2009, 01:11 PM
I think I shall now proceed with the name calling.

stand by.

Parkdale
10-09-2009, 01:13 PM
stand by.

:hat::hat::hat:

mlsintoronto
10-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Parkdale - you're a douchebag.

:dita:

mlsintoronto
10-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Stu - you're a catholic schoolboy douchebag. :dita:

mlsintoronto
10-09-2009, 01:14 PM
King Dave - you're swell. :)

Oldtimer
10-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Hey, calm down everyone. Grass is good news!

GlenM
10-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Excellent, great job by everyone!

GlenM

flatpicker
10-09-2009, 01:22 PM
The latest news is that Mr. mlsintoronto will be planting the turf himself... one seed at a time!
Great work Paul!
You're a real trooper!

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/rd/how-to-sow-seeds-directly-outdoors0.jpg

gunnerken
10-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Hey, calm down everyone. Grass is good news!
I have been dreaming of the day we get to walk into BMO and smell the fresh cut sod...it should be cooler too with all that radiant "plastic heat" gone...well done !:drum:

mlsintoronto
10-09-2009, 01:24 PM
The latest news is that Mr. mlsintoronto will be planting the turf himself... one seed at a time!
Great work Paul!
You're a real trooper!

Now you're talking! Stu! - remember drinkin in the back of Dan's mum's gremlin, to Trooper? Raise a little Hell!

Parkdale
10-09-2009, 01:26 PM
it must be friday... everyone's in a happy mood, even though it's raining.

speaking of happy moods..... :hat:

flatpicker
10-09-2009, 01:28 PM
^ I hear that rain is good for grass!

Parkdale
10-09-2009, 01:29 PM
....remember drinkin in the back of Dan's mum's gremlin....

I can picture it now...

http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/waynes_world_car-445x245.jpg

Stugatzo
10-09-2009, 01:31 PM
it must be friday... everyone's in a happy mood, even though it's raining.

speaking of happy moods..... :hat:
hahahahaha
maybe this one's more fitting

:troll:

Stugatzo
10-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Now you're talking! Stu! - remember drinkin in the back of Dan's mum's gremlin, to Trooper? Raise a little Hell!

I thought is was Boys in the Bright White Gremlin...but whatevs.

Parkdale
10-09-2009, 01:33 PM
hahahahaha
maybe this one's more fitting

:troll:

his hair looks like grass

Let's play on a field of troll heads!!!

:troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:

scooter
10-09-2009, 01:34 PM
happy thanksgiving everyone
happy grass
happy friday
and its game day tommorow even sweeter

egoodwin
10-09-2009, 01:37 PM
hey Stu, question for you, off topic, what does the - 30 - at the end of press releases stand for?

Stugatzo
10-09-2009, 01:40 PM
hey Stu, question for you, off topic, what does the - 30 - at the end of press releases stand for?

It's an old journalism thing that means "end"...old journalism school training i suppose. It's still used on a lot of releases.

http://www.ajr.org/Article.asp?id=4408

DOMIN8R
10-09-2009, 01:41 PM
^^ the number of years removed (- 30)from his life expectancy since he began trying to stick handle the approvals for grass.

PB uses it as well.

Thihi.

loconet
10-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Amazing news. Finally! A million thanks to everyone involved.

Oldtimer
10-09-2009, 01:52 PM
National Post, first with the story... after the RPB Board!

BMO Field, home of Toronto FC, will have its artificial turf replaced with grass, after a deal was brokered yesterday between the city, the province, the federal government and the team’s ownership.

Since the soccer pitch was build on the Exhibition grounds, BMO Field has had turf because it is covered in winter with a bubble so it can be used by community sports teams.

Sports-loving Mayor David Miller, who has long expressed a yen to see soccer played on real grass in Toronto, but said the arrangement was necessary for Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment to fulfill their commitments to local sport.

He called yesterday’s four-party agreement “tremendous.”

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/toronto/archive/2009/10/09/bmo-field-goes-au-naturel.aspx

Kevvv
10-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Great news. Darren Huckerby can kiss my grass.

ensco
10-09-2009, 02:00 PM
I never believed this day would come.

wzhxvy
10-09-2009, 02:05 PM
This is amazing news...makes me very happy. Awesome stuff, and thank you to everyone who made it happen.

billyfly
10-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Cool. What we going to complain about now?

Oldtimer
10-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Cool. What we going to complain about now?

NO ROOF!!!

billyfly
10-09-2009, 02:19 PM
BTW - I have no doubt the turning of the tide on getting grass was my eloquent letter to Councilor Gord Perks.

Stugatzo
^^ the number of years removed (- 30)from his life expectancy since he began trying to stick handle the approvals for grass.

PB uses it as well.

Thihi.

Hal...Where the FUCK did you find that pic of me???!!!!

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Never mind...figured it out...damned old newspaper columns!

billyfly
NO ROOF!!!

Can I see a show of umbrellas who wants a roof?

rocker
10-09-2009, 02:26 PM
just wanted to inform you guys if you hadn't noticed... BMO already has a roof!

So no more things to complain about. ;)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bf/West-stand-bmo-field.jpg/800px-West-stand-bmo-field.jpg

ArmenJBX
10-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Oh Oh, MLSinToronto? What about me!! :D

Parkdale
10-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Oh Oh, MLSinToronto? What about me!! :D

thinkin' yer special.....?

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr78/xMissTrishx/paddlin.jpg

DOMIN8R
10-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Hal...Where the FUCK did you find that pic of me???!!!!

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Never mind...figured it out...damned old newspaper columns!

What?

You mean you would prefer if I used this one.....

billyfly
10-09-2009, 02:53 PM
thinkin' yer special.....?

^ I see what you're doing here.

Redcoe15
10-09-2009, 02:58 PM
AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!! :D

Now if our side can only beat the San Jose MilkQuakes tomorrow.

Parkdale
10-09-2009, 02:58 PM

http://420.thrashbarg.net/i_see_what_you_fucking_did_there_bird.jpg

Kevvv
10-09-2009, 03:00 PM

You calling out a mod???

billyfly
10-09-2009, 03:01 PM
http://www.dailydemotivators.com/pics/Obvious.jpg

Parkdale
10-09-2009, 03:01 PM
You calling out a mod???

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd115/Podesta27/mods.jpg

Kevvv
10-09-2009, 03:03 PM
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd115/Podesta27/mods.jpg

What did you to Podesta27's photobucket account?

Hitcho
10-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Great news on BMO Field grass.

Where are the team going to train now?

DOMIN8R
10-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Look out now Sparky is pullin' out all the stops and rendering Podesta27s Photobucket account inactive.

He's really mad now!

Redcoe15
10-09-2009, 03:07 PM
http://www.dailydemotivators.com/pics/Obvious.jpg
But to be fair, Pizza Hut pizza SUUUUUUCKS!

Gobi
10-09-2009, 03:08 PM
This thread is full of win!

Fantastic news!
First I cried a little, then I laughed a lot, now I'm kinda sleepy, later I might be kinda drunk...

Well done Stuart. I'm still not sorry I thought you were gay, because you should consider that a compliment. You're my favourite political lackey EVAR! And you make Paul say really funny shit.

This is a happy day.

billyfly
10-09-2009, 03:08 PM
http://cominganarchy.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/war_tubas.jpg

You may blow the horns when ready, Gridley.

Sally Mack
10-09-2009, 03:12 PM

Dick.
LMFAO :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

VPjr
10-09-2009, 03:16 PM
this is really good news. The only thing that would be better than a grass field for BMO would be also announcing a proper training center somewhere in the GTA. The GTA needs more than 1 "Soccer Center". The OSA facility on Martingrove and Hwy 7 is simply not sufficient. We need one in the southern end of the GTA.

Hitcho
10-09-2009, 03:18 PM
Are we getting a grass training facility as well? :D

Damien
10-09-2009, 03:54 PM
http://cominganarchy.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/war_tubas.jpg

You may blow the horns when ready, Gridley.

Can we get one of these placed between 111 and 112?

Stugatzo
10-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Well done Stuart. I'm still not sorry I thought you were gay, because you should consider that a compliment. You're my favourite political lackey EVAR! And you make Paul say really funny shit.

Gee thanks...I'd almost forgotten about that!!!
:facepalm:

Stugatzo
10-09-2009, 04:14 PM
What?

You mean you would prefer if I used this one.....

oh brother.

rocker
10-09-2009, 04:17 PM
this fall they need to set up a grass installation web cam (see Red Bull Arena web cam) so people can watch. then in March when grass is installed, we can watch it go in instead of doing work.

TFC07
10-09-2009, 04:17 PM
this is really good news. The only thing that would be better than a grass field for BMO would be also announcing a proper training center somewhere in the GTA. The GTA needs more than 1 "Soccer Center". The OSA facility on Martingrove and Hwy 7 is simply not sufficient. We need one in the southern end of the GTA.

Don't forget about Brampton Soccer Centre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brampton_Soccer_Centre). :D It is very nice soccer centre even though that place is packed all the time.

BTW, I thought TFC have their training centre in Etobicoke?

ilikemusic
10-09-2009, 04:28 PM
So now its fully official?

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c200/ilikemusicmore/3346f60.gif

This is practically bigger news for the CMNT than it is for TFC.

Shway
10-09-2009, 05:04 PM
time to find a new excuse

Its so true
their running out

Redpunkfiddle
10-09-2009, 05:08 PM
It's my absolute pleasure to finally have this settled!!
You (we) all should be proud of the way this was handled and how we got governments and MLSE to move quickly on something that is so good for so many reasons!
Great way to start the long weekend!

What an asshole!

gtaguy
10-09-2009, 05:22 PM
the saying goes "the grass is always greener on the other side"..
"Thats becuase you have field turf mofo" ..

I am truely glad that this could be accomplished and for next season our boys will feel the true reality of what expectations are.. No more excuses boys, time to show up for games.. No more cummins this and mojo that.. . Reds come out to play... :D:D:D:scarf::flare::scarf::canada::scarf::flare:

rocker
10-09-2009, 05:38 PM
I thought TFC have their training centre in Etobicoke?

from what i remember, originally they were gonna tie a training facility in Etobicoke with this switch to grass.

But they were advised to simply work first on the grass transition and worry about the training facility as a separate project.

I wonder though if they might still be on course to have their training facility next to the new Mastercard centre for hockey excellence in Etobicoke. Cuz in this grass deal is the plan to put field turf on the soccer field next door at the school. That was the original location for the training facility. The second option in the deal (if they don't do the 800K fieldturf field in Etobicoke) is to have a field turf field somewhere else in the ward. I wonder if this allows the team the option to find another site for that training facility and use this deal to satisfy the construction of at least 1 of the fields there.

mlsintoronto
10-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Well done Stuart. I'm still not sorry I thought you were gay, because you should consider that a compliment. You're my favourite political lackey EVAR!

ohhh that's rich...let me guess....stu told you he's straight and pretended to look a little offended, right. That's his move! He always does that!

billyfly
10-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Can we get one of these placed between 111 and 112?

I wish. Secret weapon to destroy all secret weapons.

Stugatzo
10-09-2009, 07:26 PM
What an asshole!

:iagree::dita::violin::deadhorse:

Stugatzo
10-09-2009, 07:28 PM
ohhh that's rich...let me guess....stu told you he's straight and pretended to look a little offended, right. That's his move! He always does that!

point being?? the chicks fall for it every time...
I mean it's not like I (errrrrrr...you AND I) went to to an all boys high school or anything "gay" like that.:hump:

DOMIN8R
10-09-2009, 07:40 PM
....and the best post of the thread so far goes to...............

billygrieveuk
10-09-2009, 08:09 PM
better yet, how about 7:00pm starts in july and august..
why put us through that torture, plus nothing beats a nite game...

TFCUNITED
10-09-2009, 11:23 PM
We can complain about the lack of seats in BMO. :D I don't think MLSE would mind because they will make money from it.

Bobo
10-10-2009, 01:10 AM
lets bring back Obrien, we need a guy who can actually cross :)

Actually not a bad idea.

Can't wait to see real grass at our home opener next year.

Oldtimer
10-10-2009, 07:36 AM
this fall they need to set up a grass installation web cam (see Red Bull Arena web cam) so people can watch. then in March when grass is installed, we can watch it go in instead of doing work.

That's a great suggestion!

Actually, they should keep it up afterwards so we can stare for hours watching the grass grow. :Yawn:

Redcoe15
10-10-2009, 09:18 AM
This is practically bigger news for the CMNT than it is for TFC.
This is true. This'll see more Canadian home matches for international play and give Canada a real home field advantage. :canada:

rocker
10-14-2009, 11:14 AM
That's a great suggestion!

Actually, they should keep it up afterwards so we can stare for hours watching the grass grow. :Yawn:

as a note, Red Bull Arena started putting in grass today.. you can view it on their web cam.

http://www.earthcam.com/clients/redbullarena/?cam=2

Can't wait for the BMO Field Grass Webcam too!!! <hint> <hint>

billyfly
10-14-2009, 10:25 PM
You'll see this tomorrow in the news thread no doubt.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=294851

billyfly
10-16-2009, 09:39 AM
BUMP

jaahuuu
10-16-2009, 11:35 AM
You'll see this tomorrow in the news thread no doubt.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=294851

Toronto will host the expansion Philadelphia Union in its 2010 homer-opener on April 17, a later date than usual due to the installation of a grass pitch.
What? Only 1 of 3 home openers has occured before April 17.

billyfly
10-16-2009, 11:37 AM
^I thought that too.

dupont
10-16-2009, 12:22 PM
Toronto will host the expansion Philadelphia Union in its 2010 homer-opener on April 17

Awesome!

http://vnmedia.ign.com/vault.ign.com/images/rerolled/homer-simpson.gif