PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Divots Penalty Spot - GBS Misses.

Dub Narcotic
10-08-2009, 07:59 PM
This happened late in Seattle's 1-0 win over Columbus. Haha.

http://www.mls-rumors.net/3852/2009/10/divotgate-official-columbus-crew-blog-alleges-sounder-tyrone-marshall-created-divot-which-helped-missed-penalty-kick/

Dunkers
10-08-2009, 11:50 PM
haha i just went back and watched the PK on mlslive, and everyone except the ref knows whats going on, you can even see the ball boys pointing and shouting...it reminds me of a classic wrestling match script. The heels sure pulled one over on the "good guys"

Eastend
10-09-2009, 07:29 AM
1 comment on the article stood out for me.....

Cambeses Says:
First off,I am neither a fan of Sounders or Crew. I am a staunch fan of Dynamo. Second of all I have refereed the game for 25 years and was chief ref for 5 years.
This theory is someone’s figment of imagination. Unless we believe all cres members on the field were blind.

Actually, yes we do think that all crew members officiating MLS matches are blind.

p.s. I hate the Crew.

Brooker
10-09-2009, 07:36 AM
this is the Crews excuse?

Nodoubtguy
10-09-2009, 07:41 AM
Next thing you know, their gonna blame it on a bee sting....

Shaughno
10-09-2009, 07:52 AM
Class act Crew. Another reason why there's not point in travelling to that hole in the earth.

“…But before we could tease, from behind a drunk moron stole Audrey’s scarf and ran like a jack rabbit on crack. I must warn the readers that a bachelor’s degree in English did not provide me with ample enough education to label this disgusting act appropriately, so you will just have to use your imagination to fill in the gap between my words and my feelings. In any case, Eric from our party took off after him and I likewise set down my camera and in the phrase of an English coach I once had, got on my bike. I was paced pretty well behind at about 20 yards and figured alcohol would render the fiend short winded and we might be able between Eric and I to at least get him to ditch the precious article so we could retrieve it. We ran through the line of cars, down a hill of brush, until we got to the train tracks which we saw were very soon going to be occupied in a way which would make it undesirable for us to tarry long. We looked around, but having lost sight of “the thing,” we had to give up. I say “thing” because “man” is hardly fitting for whatever would steal from a woman and then take off like a coward; I’ve seen “animals” act with greater self respect and deference to others; and “minerals” could probably not have soaked up enough alcohol to make one feel cool about being an absolute jerk.

Hitcho
10-09-2009, 08:57 AM
If this is true, then it's pretty unpleasant. It's worse than diving in my book. No place for that in the beautiful game. If there is good enough footage of what TM is up to then he should be banned for sure. The bottom line is it's cheating.

AL-MO
10-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Stealing a scarf from a chick? Wow...that is low.

Wannable Hoolies? Yeah I think so.

Shaughno
10-09-2009, 09:41 AM
If this is true, then it's pretty unpleasant. It's worse than diving in my book. No place for that in the beautiful game. If there is good enough footage of what TM is up to then he should be banned for sure. The bottom line is it's cheating.

To be fair, Schelletto could have changed the spot before he kicked the ball as most Penalty takers do. Stomp the spot, fluff it up a bit, stomp it back down.

Defenders are the dirtiest players in the game. They get away with nearly everything yet diving is the only thing people talk about. What about the defenders pulling jerseys, which even the slightest little tug is technically a foul; stomping on toes, deliberately backing into players or obstructing the attacker without attempting to play the ball.

Those are all foul-able offences that seem to be fair game these days. Yet, if a player makes ONE dive... he gets crucified.

Did Tyrone cheat? Yes. Should he be punished for it? Not unless you're going to crack down across the board.

jabbronies
10-09-2009, 10:16 AM
I see no problem with what he did. I'm sure it wasn't that bad otherwise Schelloto should've have fixed it if it. I've seen worse grass than that when it rains.

If he gets fined for that I call Bullshit.

Bobo
10-09-2009, 10:42 AM
I see no problem with what he did. I'm sure it wasn't that bad otherwise Schelloto should've have fixed it if it. I've seen worse grass than that when it rains.

If he gets fined for that I call Bullshit.

Agreed. Not a very sportsmanlike action but not worth repercussions. It would be like Materazzi getting banned for taking a head in the chest.

Inklink
10-09-2009, 11:50 AM
One of the best excuses I've ever heard. Can't wait for what they'll cook up next :D .

Next time: "2 Sounders hogtied and blindfolded the referee while Tyrone Marshall drove in with a CATTERPILLAR and dug a 3 ft deep ditch in front of the net. A classic case of distract-and-dig."

Hitcho
10-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Agreed. Not a very sportsmanlike action but not worth repercussions. It would be like Materazzi getting banned for taking a head in the chest.

That's not at all the same thing. Winding someone up and deliberately hacking up the penalty spot to cause someone to try and miss a penalty are worlds apart. One is a bit of verbal jousting. The other is physically altering a player's chances of scoring.

Look, I hate KK and I hate GBS and personally I think it;s all quite funny, especially since Tyrone used to play here and was well liked. But if this becomes commonplace in the game and isn't stamped out (no pun intended) then what next?

Of course GBS could have re-hashed the spot, but he shouldn't have to. Personally I'd like to see the ethics of the game going forwards, not backwards. The less diving, shirt pulling, etc we see the better. Plauy hard but play fair. otherwise fuck off and play baseball! :D