PDA

View Full Version : Is Saturday's game the biggest game in TFC history?

mastermixer
10-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Just curious what others think. Since this is a must win game and a loss will pretty much help eliminate our chances of making playoffs for the first time in history.

Bars92
10-08-2009, 03:27 PM
2nd biggest game, only to the very first TFC game.

ArmenJBX
10-08-2009, 03:27 PM
I think the last game against Red Bulls could be the most important, given that we win the next two. That game alone will tell us if we're in the playoffs or out. So, I think the most important game is gunna be the RBNY game.

TFC07
10-08-2009, 03:28 PM
It will be one of biggest games in our short history. If we can't win against this San Jose team who by the way is missing half of their starters (due to injury or international callups), then we don't deserve to be in playoffs.

Bobo
10-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Difficult to say, I think the PR game was bigger but the Montreal game was all about national pride. I think I'd put those two ahead. Next year we need to focus on MLS though.

EDIT - Ugh, was thinking this season. Meh, sort of still holds.

Carts
10-08-2009, 04:03 PM
Biggest game ever (IMO) was the deciding game vs Montreal in the first year of the Canadian Championship...

The entire MLS Executive were in town for the All-Star game, and in attendance at the MTL game to view "the best atmosphere in the league". They were hoping (ahem expecting) us to win the Canadian Championship, prove the MLS was superior to USL in Canadian competition, and the fans would go buck-wild f*ckin crazy in the process...

Instead, we failed (Cunningham!) and everyone from us, to the team, to the MLS executives were left hanging their heads a little...

Carts...

ballerz
10-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Playoff is contingent of winning 2 more games AND New England dropping 3 points

When there is reasonable chance that winning this game isn't going to get us into the playoffs, you might as well said that 2 games ago was our most important game.

Beach_Red
10-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Biggest game ever (IMO) was the deciding game vs Montreal in the first year of the Canadian Championship...

The entire MLS Executive were in town for the All-Star game, and in attendance at the MTL game to view "the best atmosphere in the league". They were hoping (ahem expecting) us to win the Canadian Championship, prove the MLS was superior to USL in Canadian competition, and the fans would go buck-wild f*ckin crazy in the process...

Instead, we failed (Cunningham!) and everyone from us, to the team, to the MLS executives were left hanging their heads a little...

Carts...

This is off-topic here, but I was wondering, after that year with the USL teams looking pretty good, did MLS change anything about the way they handle expansion teams?

And now with San Jose not looking very good it seems the difference between bringing a team from USL and starting from scratch in MSL is quite different. Has MLS changed anything for Philadelphia?

rocker
10-08-2009, 06:30 PM
This is off-topic here, but I was wondering, after that year with the USL teams looking pretty good, did MLS change anything about the way they handle expansion teams?

I read somewhere (don't ask me for the link, but I have a good memory for things I read) that each successive expansion team has received slightly better terms/conditions. So San Jose got more expansion allocation money than TFC.. and Seattle got more than San Jose. Since that many is time-limited, I'm wondering if that somehow contributed to San Jose's shitty second season. They seemed to be handing out a lot of allocation money to other teams in trades (See the money TFC got for O'Brien) right away. I wonder if they ran out and when problems hit in Year 2, they were too tight financially.

Also, TFC had stricter domestic regulations in season 1 than season 2+3.

fiji_blue
10-08-2009, 07:59 PM
Prediction 3 - 0 TORONTO FC !!!!

Bars92
10-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Difficult to say, I think the PR game was bigger but the Montreal game was all about national pride. I think I'd put those two ahead. Next year we need to focus on MLS though.

EDIT - Ugh, was thinking this season. Meh, sort of still holds.

Yeah I felt good about the PR games, like the team was getting somewhere on the world stage. :flare:

TFC Tifoso
10-09-2009, 07:09 AM
I thought last game was the biggest in history.....and the one before that......and before that.......and 2nd leg v Puerto Rico....and the 1st leg v Puerto Rico.....and the final CC game in Montreal.....and and and........

Fort York Redcoat
10-09-2009, 07:11 AM
Short answer-No.

CoachGT
10-09-2009, 07:16 AM
Short answer-No.

What he said!

koryo
10-09-2009, 07:18 AM
What he said!

What they said, given that the balance of our season is no longer just down to our results.

Oldtimer
10-09-2009, 07:26 AM
There are 3 big games. If TFC wins the next two, than NYRB will be very big, because it means playoffs. However, the "Miracle in Montreal" game was just as huge, because it meant a first trophy and a CL spot (even though TFC bowed out in the first round, something they are likely to do in the MLS playoffs, as well, should they get in).

Beach_Red
10-09-2009, 08:29 AM
There are 3 big games. If TFC wins the next two, than NYRB will be very big, because it means playoffs. However, the "Miracle in Montreal" game was just as huge, because it meant a first trophy and a CL spot (even though TFC bowed out in the first round, something they are likely to do in the MLS playoffs, as well, should they get in).

If they get in it will be because of 3 wins in a row, all high-pressure games, do you think that will create any momentum for the playoffs?

Whoever they play in the playoffs will be another MLS team, no surprises, someone they've played before.

Oldtimer
10-09-2009, 09:05 AM
If they get in it will be because of 3 wins in a row, all high-pressure games, do you think that will create any momentum for the playoffs?

Whoever they play in the playoffs will be another MLS team, no surprises, someone they've played before.

Momentum is over-rated. Look at how Montreal choked in the CCL, after such a brilliant run.

solacevip
10-09-2009, 09:17 AM
HUGE GAME......Come on you reds!

ManUtd4ever
10-09-2009, 09:20 AM
The Miracle in Montreal was our biggest match in history. Prior to that, the 1-1 draw @ BMO against Montreal in July 2008. I would rate the match against San Jose as the most important league match in TFC history though...

I really hope someone can start a new thread in about 2 weeks asking if NYRB is the biggest match in history...

ensco
10-09-2009, 09:21 AM
No.

If they win Saturday, next week against RSL, that would be the biggest game for them ever.

Beach_Red
10-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Momentum is over-rated. Look at how Montreal choked in the CCL, after such a brilliant run.

Never compare TFC to Montreal! Never! ;)

Seriously, I was thinking about the playoffs last year.

Don Julio
10-09-2009, 09:53 AM
No, it might be the NYRB game if that can clinch a playoff spot, but as it stands the Real Madrid game is the biggest so far.