PDA

View Full Version : Topic: Unorthodox Corner Kick Strategies

Technorgasm
10-08-2009, 12:24 PM
This might seem strange, but I would actually prefer it if we tried something completely unorthodox from corners

So, if I could have any influence whatsoever on the coaching/management of the club, I would propose the following strategies:

Hard and low into the 6y-box

May present an easy tap in for one of our players
May bounce off an opposition player into the net
May bounce up into an opposition player's hand, giving a chance of a penalty
Can be taken by anyone with powerful kicks

In-swinging, aiming to directly score

May go straight into the net
May present an easy tap-in at the back post for one of our players
Should be taken by the best curlers of the ball (Deguz, Amado, even brennan is good in this respect)

Ball knocked outside of the quadrant "trick"

Should create a free run down the goal line, which can then be passed into the box for an easy tap-in
Unfortunately, most refs would mistakenly recognise it as an illegally taken corner
A "safer" variation of this would be to take a short corner to a player who can consistently beat the short corner defender, to then pass into the box for an easy tap-in

Line up on the "D" then burst into random positions

This should be attempted with 4 or 5 of the tallest available players (serioux, Atta)
Hard for opposition defenders to track runs
If timed correctly, the burst movement can give the player momentum with which to header the ball with more power
Does not require a pinpoint cross, due to randomness of the movements

All on front post, except one short attacking player

Not difficult to hit a target man, as so many are on front post
If flicked on, can present an easy tap-in (Gerba, Vitti)
If not flicked on, the one player not on the front post can lose his man, exploit the extra space and may be presented with an easy tap-in

Hit hard purposely at the first defender

May deflect into the box dangerously
May win another corner, where something else can be tried against an unsuspecting defence
May injure the defender in question (no sportsmanship here)

Float ball outside box

Only viable when a player capable of shooting from distance is unmarked about 25-30 yards from goal (dero, Guevarra)
First-time/chest control then volley could lead to a spectacular shot/goal
An alternative to shooting could be for the unmarked player to lob a header/control and dink the ball over the rushing defence who expect him to shoot, which may leave another of our players one-on-one

In my opinion, introducing a mixture of these strategies randomly to our play would make us much less predictable and actually worry opposing teams as they have no idea of how to set up their defence to cope with how we might attack them.

Personally I would love to see us introduce at least one of these strategies to our play.

Thoughts anyone? Any more interesting variations on taking corner kicks that could increase our success rate from them?

ACSertL
10-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Not a bad idea to mix it up a bit. I remember the play they tried last year in the opener v Columbus where the ball was hit to a streaking Brennan bursting in from the left channel. His volley didn't miss by a whole lot actually.

Just as long as they don't get caught offside on any short corners anymore.

Actually they should probably be looking to employ a new corner strategy seeing as we've got very little height on the squad.

Carts
10-08-2009, 12:34 PM
I like the idea of having 2-guys move into short & mid length corner positions - just for the fact they draw defenders with them and open up some space in the box...

Mix this in with all of Techno's strategies and if the short or mid guys are left uncovered, use them - when covered, use one of the plays that sends the ball directly into the box...

I agree with Techno, basically doing the same "...fire it in and up go the heads..." off every corner not only lacks immagination & creativity, but is easy to figrue out...

Carts...

Wagner
10-08-2009, 12:54 PM
people actually talking football strategy in this forum???
WTF????

Section 117
10-08-2009, 02:18 PM
You forgot to state that they have to hit the corner properly in the first place....

The majority of the time the corners don't get pass the first defender in the box. Before we try a strategy why doesn't the team learn how to hit a corner, because I watch kids on a pitch near my house hit better crosses than our team

Just an idea

RedsYNWA
10-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Great ideas, I agree. You can't do the same thing over end over again
I don't think i ever saw number 6 being done anywhere

maninb
10-08-2009, 02:52 PM
You forgot to state that they have to hit the corner properly in the first place....

The majority of the time the corners don't get pass the first defender in the box. Before we try a strategy why doesn't the team learn how to hit a corner, because I watch kids on a pitch near my house hit better crosses than our team

Just an idea

IMO the quality of crossing in the MLS is one of the HUGE differences than other leagues, the only team I've seen that sends in regular good quality crosses is Chicago...

Carts
10-08-2009, 02:58 PM
IMO the quality of crossing in the MLS is one of the HUGE differences than other leagues, the only team I've seen that sends in regular good quality crosses is Chicago...

LA fans and Beckham himself might disagree with you there... :D

Carts...

Technorgasm
10-09-2009, 12:15 PM

Just an idea

this is a very concerning problem. . inect ect. .

this case. . just fire it right in the face of the defender and try . . try again,

i would like to see the ball to the top of the box. . we do have the quality to take a ball down. . and quickly fire. .. . DERO, GERBA, BARRET, BRENNAN. . .

I just would like to see Cummins play at biut more to our strengths as clinical finishing is not an option, lets take it a bit longer range to give us a bigger target, and the ball into the feet of the ones with the most skill..

if I see ANY of these strategies happen. . I will make all here aware of this post and claim props for he result. .

Technorgasm
10-13-2009, 06:36 AM
Line up on the "D" then burst into random positions
This should be attempted with 4 or 5 of the tallest available players (serioux, Atta)

Hard for opposition defenders to track runs
If timed correctly, the burst movement can give the player momentum with which to header the ball with more power
Does not require a pinpoint cross, due to randomness of the movements

this almost got us a goal on the weekend.

WELL DONE BOYS