PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore United?

Roogsy
10-07-2009, 11:08 AM
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/121990-baltimore-eyeing-dc-united-move?eref=fromSI

I have to say, if DC can't get their act together, then at least this possibility should be explored. Good for Baltimore in seizing the opportunity.

Hitcho
10-07-2009, 11:47 AM
You have to feel for existing DCU fans (imagine if it was us in their shoes) but yeah, this seems like a good move for MLS and right now the league just needs to keep improving the state of its franchises, existing and new. If we can end up with 20 teams all selling around 20k a game (or more in some cases) in SSS, then that's the future of MLS right there.

james
10-07-2009, 12:27 PM
DC United i think were the first MLS team to get a good supporting group together, they still have a strong supporters group today. They have always had some of the biggest and most flags waving around. Its a great scene to see in MLS. They have also had one of the higher average attendeces all the years of MLS. It would be terrible to see this team move because they cant get a new stadium deal. I really hope they can get something sorted out in Washington, or at least in the very near by cities just outside of washington, like where they built the new Washington Redskins stadium.

Roogsy
10-07-2009, 12:42 PM
But a move to Baltimore is probably the best of a bad situation. DC is not playing ball...if Baltimore can step up, then I would hope DC fans can find some solace in that especially since most of the season ticket holders would remain the same as the cities are 45 minutes apart or something like that.

stugautz
10-07-2009, 01:16 PM
It would be like moving TFC to Hamilton. Sure they're still close by, but would you really want to make the weeknight games after work if your drive is going to be minimum 45 minutes. It won't be the same.

Roogsy
10-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Still...it's a solution in a situation where it looks like there was none to be had.

james
10-07-2009, 03:24 PM
i wonder why Washington or any other cities right next to Washington arent willing to help out at all in getting a new stadium when Baltimore is willing to help get a stadium built there.

Baltimore to DC may only be like 45 minutes away but for people on the other side of washington city might be even alot further. Example if Toronto had to move to Hamilton it would be about 45 minutes from downtown toronto to downtown Hamilton, but for the fans who come from say North York, Scarbrough, Ajax, Pickerrring it would be alot further.

james
10-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Still...it's a solution in a situation where it looks like there was none to be had.

ya its better then say moving to Miami or something, but i really hope they keep it in the Washington area.

Marc"2L"
10-07-2009, 03:44 PM
They should appeal to Obama. He's a footy man.

Detroit_TFC
10-07-2009, 03:57 PM
Unclear if this has any substance, other than as a trial balloon. DCU FO spent a lot of time building support for the Poplar Point project among the residents in the area but the DC govt keeps on taking the project on and off the table. Any reasonable person would say screw these people and look for a jurisdiction who will actually do something. Bad for the fans but staying in RFK is not viable.

Bars92
10-07-2009, 04:03 PM
It would be like moving TFC to Hamilton. Sure they're still close by, but would you really want to make the weeknight games after work if your drive is going to be minimum 45 minutes. It won't be the same.

woooow... I'd love a Hamilton USL team tho, that could work.

C.Ronaldo
10-07-2009, 04:40 PM
since mls is single structured

why doesnt league and rest of the owners help the team out

MLS needs to retain its short history, and DC is a storied club (in north american terms)

troy1982
10-07-2009, 05:05 PM
^^^ The league is in soccer business not the stadium building business.

ensco
10-07-2009, 06:53 PM
People from DC will never support a team in Baltimore. Never. The 45 minutes is the least of it.

It's the same as moving the team to NY or Miami, from a DCU fan perspective.

Cashcleaner
10-07-2009, 11:10 PM
There's gotta be loads of stadiums closer to downtown Washington that DCU could play at. There's plenty of universities in the area that I'm sure could accommodate a pro soccer outfit at least once every two weeks. Don't get me wrong, Baltimore is a pretty good sports city all-round, I just think that DCU should try as much as possible to stay in Washington.