PDA

View Full Version : PDL team for TFC?

Shway
10-06-2009, 07:15 PM
"Toronto FC should add a U-23 team into the PDL division"

OVERVIEW

In the world of professional football, every club has their own type of way of developing young future footballers.
Now in the MLS, we know the restrictions that the league has put on these types of circumstances, but creating an U-23 team to play in the Premier Developement League, is away around the leagues restrictions.
For example a team like "Chicago Fire" has a team in the PDL, called the Chicago Fire Premier and they have had so many players move onto the likes of the first team, european clubs or simply other professional contracts.The PDL, states that a maximum of eight players on each team's 26-man roster can be over 23 years old, while at least three players on each team's roster must be 18 or younger.

This team could also avoid situations of what happened last year, when TFC had so many players leave to play in WCQ's, and they had to resort to signing players to however-long-contracts, to fill the void. (i.e Rick Titus, Tim Regan, and Diaz Kambere)

PLAYERS

This team would consist of players from the first team (who are paid), and players from the Academy (who aren't paid, but are in search of a contract). This siuation could only be a positive one, in the aspect that toronto fc, dont have exhibiton games, and they could field players who aren't playing on a week in week out basis (i.e. Gala, Gomez,) who can play and be in game shape, and have the opportunity to impress the coaching staff, or even just be ready to be called upon in the case of an injury.
This would reduce the likes of players not playing a game for the whole season.
It also can work for players like Obrien White, who is coming of an injury, he can play a couple of PDL games, before he is declared 100% fit to play for the first team or even to be a substitute.
The other players would come from the better Academy players, giving them the opportunity to play with some of the first team players. Coaches can analyze these players, and see if they are capable of moving up the ranks into the first team, and if they are, academy players can look forward into signing contracts since the MLS has expanded it academy signing policies.

This team could be a catalyst for players, who are great enough to go away for school, but who dont have the acquired education credentials to go to a NCAA Div 1 school, or just simply dont want to take the University route.

This doesn't has to be something that is done by the MLS, but this is something that Toronto FC can do, since the finances are there. (Maurice Edu money).

POSSIBLE PLAYER POOL

GK Brian Edwards (24)
GK Jarret Humphreys (1)
DF Emmanuel Gomez (19)
DF Daniel Fabrizi (18)
DF Daniel Di Baggio (18)
DF Lesly Fellinga
DF Gabe Gala (20)
DF Casey D'Mello (18)
MF Brennan MCNicol (17)
MF Jonathan Lao (17)
MF James Stamopoulos (18)
MF Amadou Sanyang (18)
MF Ashtone Morgan (18)
MF Ryan McLeod (17)
MF Daniel Callabretta (18)
MF Josh Janniere (17)
FW Fuad Ibrahim (18)
FW Andre Verdugo (18)
FW Allando Mattheson (17)

*Bold Denotes First Team Appearance

:scarf:

Opinions.

DangerRed
10-06-2009, 07:27 PM
I think it could be a good idea, if we first do something about the lack of defensive depth on the first team so that every time that the PDL team plays, it doesn't feel like we're losing half our starting XI.

One point of quibble, though, is the finances. "Maurice Edu money?" TFC didn't get a billion for him, you know. Around these parts, everyone's answer is "Mo Edu Money." It's magical and pays for everything. Want grass? Mo Edu Money will cover it. Sign a DP? Don't worry, Mo Edu Money. North stand? Mo Edu Money. Sign more defenders? Mo Edu Money.

Come on.

More likely, ticket prices will be adjusted to reflect the cost of a PDL team, no?

deschamp86
10-06-2009, 07:27 PM
I think the academy would be better suited for PDL. U23 team should be in CSL.

iansmcl
10-06-2009, 07:32 PM
If I recall TFC have been playing reserve games all season... they played against a Sasketchewan university in that huge Dichio-Colorado debacle... and Rohan twittered about scoring a bunch of goals in the reserves against U of T I belive; so they're getting some games in.

I am all for a reserve team playing good competition, so more than likely at the CSL/USL level rather than the PDL. Though I think any serious consideration would have to wait until a return of the MLS Reserves is confirmed or put off for several years.

iansmcl
10-06-2009, 07:39 PM
One point of quibble, though, is the finances. "Maurice Edu money?" TFC didn't get a billion for him, you know. Around these parts, everyone's answer is "Mo Edu Money." It's magical and pays for everything. Want grass? Mo Edu Money will cover it. Sign a DP? Don't worry, Mo Edu Money. North stand? Mo Edu Money. Sign more defenders? Mo Edu Money.

Thank you! The team has invested heavily in the Academy ($1 million, if the figures I've seen elsewhere on this board are accurate) and in other things for the first team ProZone3 and ProScout7. How much those things cost I don't know but I'm sure they're not free to acquire or maintain and it is possible they used Edu money for that or for something else already.

UltraSuperMegaMo
10-06-2009, 08:50 PM
I like the idea, not sure it needs to be in the PDL as opposed to the CSL, due to the travel costs (as was pointed on the other ongoing academy thread).

rocker
10-06-2009, 08:55 PM
I thought PDL was invented for amateurs (people who hadn't signed contracts).. so that university kids in the US could play competitively for a longer period and not violate their scholarships or eligibility?

Looking at the Chicago Fire PDL team I don't see any signed players. So I don't think, for example, that you could have Bryan Edwards on a TFC PDL team.

So a PDL team for TFC would be a waste of money, as all those players on the team would be heading back to college in september and later would have to go through the draft.

UltraSuperMegaMo
10-06-2009, 09:13 PM
You'd use a PDL how the Whitecaps do as a top academy team and a reserve team rolled into one. They Whitecaps have lost of movement between their senior team and the PDL team - the problem is with the current MLS rules.

denime
10-06-2009, 09:28 PM
You'd use a PDL how the Whitecaps do as a top academy team and a reserve team rolled into one. They Whitecaps have lost of movement between their senior team and the PDL team - the problem is with the current MLS rules.

Exactly

Shway
10-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Thank you! The team has invested heavily in the Academy ($1 million, if the figures I've seen elsewhere on this board are accurate) and in other things for the first team ProZone3 and ProScout7. How much those things cost I don't know but I'm sure they're not free to acquire or maintain and it is possible they used Edu money for that or for something else already.

Barely 1 mill it was 650k.
Prozone3 and ProScout arent showing dividends at the end of the day with players injured week in and week out

Ossington Mental Youth
10-06-2009, 10:03 PM
im sure that the league will change it to accomodate the whitecaps, no?
shit, its a cheaper version of a reserve league and teams dont have to do it but benefit from it

iansmcl
10-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Prozone3 and ProScout arent showing dividends at the end of the day with players injured week in and week out

I think you missed the point I was making. I was saying that the Edu money has most likely been largely used already. If the Acaademy cost $650 they could have used the $2 million (I think?) so as to not pay any of their own money right now. So that $2 million is down to $1.35 million already. ProScout has a cost, though I couldn't find what that was with a quick Google search but it's likely to be a fair chunk of money and ProZone probably cost a chunk of change also.

I'm not disagreeing with the idea of a PDL/CSL/USL team at all, I think it'd be great. We could've put Chad there for a few games earlier in the season when he was playing poorly and was clearly frustrated. I was just agreeing with DangerRed that everyone uses the 'Edu Money' as magic money to fulfill whatever their desires are, when there is a chance it has already been spent on the club.

S_D
10-06-2009, 10:31 PM
I will bet some of the edu money went to grass too.

Shway
10-06-2009, 10:35 PM
I was just agreeing with DangerRed that everyone uses the 'Edu Money' as magic money to fulfill whatever their desires are, when there is a chance it has already been spent on the club.

I 100% agree with that too, lol
However the main thing they said was it was going to go into the academy.
maybe thats how we have jdeguz

Lucky Strike
10-06-2009, 10:51 PM
Interesting idea, it sure would help in regard to not having a reserve team.

Cas87
10-06-2009, 11:50 PM
Chicago has one, why can't we?
It would be good for those players on our squad that only has the periodic (or no) First team apperances so that they can stay match fit

TFCUNITED
10-07-2009, 12:07 AM
I think it could be a good idea, if we first do something about the lack of defensive depth on the first team so that every time that the PDL team plays, it doesn't feel like we're losing half our starting XI.

Come on.

More likely, ticket prices will be adjusted to reflect the cost of a PDL team, no?

:rofl:

VPjr
10-07-2009, 01:20 AM
I've been saying for 2 years that TFC should establish a seperate company and operate a CSL club. By setting it up at arms length, hopefully they can avoid some of the currently stupid rules that hinder player development.

By the way, why bother with the 3 month PDL when you can be part of a 6 month CSL?

The CSL club could house their academy players and they could loan players from the senior team so that they can get good competition...right now, with no Reserve league, too many players have rotted without consistent, meaningful competition. They could also go out and scout Africa or some other low wage part of the world, bring the players into the CSL squad to see what they can do against pretty good competition.

Keegan
10-07-2009, 02:05 AM
Im just wondering if we are rushing some players, I mean Jarret Humphries is only 1?

UltraSuperMegaMo
10-07-2009, 02:17 AM
Im just wondering if we are rushing some players, I mean Jarret Humphries is only 1?

I saw that too and decided to take the high ground from the sarcastic remark point of view, however since that cat's out of the bag:

1. Move over Indonesian Super Baby.
2. He's already been caped by Wales through his grandparents.
3. This would explain recent academy team score lines.

denime
10-07-2009, 06:34 AM
Chicago has one, why can't we?
It would be good for those players on our squad that only has the periodic (or no) First team apperances so that they can stay match fit

PDL players are not under the contract with Chicago Fire !!

You can not have a player from the MLS Roster playing in PDL.

FFS people check facts before you post or start thread like this, that BTW is double thread anyway,same discussion is going here already:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=17711

and should be merged as far I'm concern.

keem-o-sabi
10-07-2009, 06:36 AM
The PDL and NPSL teams the Chicago Fire have are just extensions of their youth set-up, not a players sharing reserve group. NPSL will have groups from NYRB, CHi Fire, and possibly FC Dallas this year (it's an open men's league) and we've reached an agreement to work with the CSL as well (the final press release is coming out I think on Monday).

With all the BS going on in the USL, I wouldn't spend the 75k to put a team in that league.

Yeoman
10-07-2009, 08:11 AM
all i know is that chicago team in the pdl was pretty impressive
over all, the league that if they do indeed put in a PDL team, is very impressive overall for it's level of play.
if it ever does happen (which i wouldn't expect it to), I would be pretty excited. could finally have some true city derby matches.

TFC07
10-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Wouldn't it be better we just loan some of our younger players to USL teams?

EDIT: Is PDL better league than CSL?

keem-o-sabi
10-07-2009, 03:07 PM
PDL/CSL/NPSL is pretty much the same level. The best groups are just as good as one another, the middle groups are level, and the bad groups are bad. Same goes for the management. There are groups in all three leagues who do quite well at the gate, then there are those who if they are lucky draw 40 people on a good day.

jabbronies
10-07-2009, 03:18 PM

I wanna see proof that this is true.

of the injuries you speak of, How many guys have we lost to hamstring and muscle pull injuries relating to fatigue this year? Of those guys, how many are over thier prime and have been injury prone before coming to TFC (E.g. Serioux).

Fort York Redcoat
10-08-2009, 07:26 AM
;)
PDL/CSL/NPSL is pretty much the same level. The best groups are just as good as one another, the middle groups are level, and the bad groups are bad. Same goes for the management. There are groups in all three leagues who do quite well at the gate, then there are those who if they are lucky draw 40 people on a good day.

The level may be the same but i would like to see TFC in more leagues with great development potential. Agree with the low numbers but if the lower levels want to grow here MLS partnerships will generate more attention(even if it doesn't generate into bums in seats)

Kinda cool to think of Toronto in the PDL(the lynx being a Mississauga team)