PDA

View Full Version : Guevara not playing this weekend

Canary Canuck
10-06-2009, 06:50 PM
Instead he'll be sitting in the stands in Honduras in street clothes. I figured the fact that he was suspended for Honduras's match and the fact they have about a 1% chance of clinching a berth on saturday would dicate he actually suit up for the employer that pays his salary. Guess I'm wrong.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/10/06/sp-amado-guevara.html

Oldtimer
10-06-2009, 08:32 PM
They have a good chance of qualifying against El Salvador, and FIFA rules say that he can't play Saturday anyway, as it is too close to the El Salvador date (within 5 days).

So... he could be on a bench in Toronto, or on a bench at home.

Canary Canuck
10-06-2009, 09:01 PM
They have a good chance of qualifying against El Salvador, and FIFA rules say that he can't play Saturday anyway, as it is too close to the El Salvador date (within 5 days).

So... he could be on a bench in Toronto, or on a bench at home.

Yes, I know they have a good chance to qualify against El Salvador on wednesday. The point was that they have very little chancle to clinch on saturday (the game he's suspended for) so not being there isn't going to rob him of his chance to celebrate. Secondly, I'm fully aware of the 5 day rule but it can be overridden by a compromise. If the Honduran FA want to be dicks about it and say that he needs to be in the stands then they have that power but I figured a common sense compromise could be worked out. The fact that he's missing a crucial game just to sit in the stands is too much for me.

Blizzard
10-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Yes, I know they have a good chance to qualify against El Salvador on wednesday. The point was that they have very little chancle to clinch on saturday (the game he's suspended for) so not being there isn't going to rob him of his chance to celebrate. Secondly, I'm fully aware of the 5 day rule but it can be overridden by a compromise. If the Honduran FA want to be dicks about it and say that he needs to be in the stands then they have that power but I figured a common sense compromise could be worked out. The fact that he's missing a crucial game just to sit in the stands is too much for me.

Let's not forget that he is the captain of Honduras. As much as I would love to have him here in Toronto, I do think that it is right that he is with his national team on such an important occasion.

cy43
10-06-2009, 09:47 PM
It could be a blessing in disguise, I mean don't get me wrong I really like Guevara and we play a different game when he is in the lineup, but with him in Honduras it gives JDG the keys to the midfield for the first time, at home, in a pivotal match. I expect him to have his best game yet.

MartinUtd
10-06-2009, 10:03 PM
It sucks, but he has a right to be there for his country. If the shoe was on the other foot I'm sure we'd want a strong Canadian presence on the CMNT bench if not on the field, rather than off playing club football.

Flipityflu
10-07-2009, 07:16 AM
i don't have a problem with this. he is the captain, and its WCQ.

felipe
10-07-2009, 09:34 AM
I'm glad he's not here - his play for the last two months had been uninspired - we're better off without him.

Roogsy
10-07-2009, 09:35 AM
To be honest, I hope he does not return next year. His start to this season was phenomenal but if Honduras qualifies for the World Cup, he will be invisible all season long. No thanks. Save the money for someone who will contribute, not to mention frees up the midfield for our overcrowded roster of midfielders. Buy a $150k defender.

Shaughno
10-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Can't say I disagree with Roogs.

trane
10-07-2009, 10:33 AM
^ I agree as well, he has not been a major part of this team for some time. He has not been bad, but has simply not been involved enough.

v00d00daddy
10-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Yup. I love his skill but its overkill right now. We need more room in the midfield. I hope Honduras do well for his sake but next year I hope his salary goes towards filling one of our holes in the lineup.

Stouffville_RPB
10-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Guevara was MVP caliber at the beginning of the season. An example of how good he is when he's on his game. Unfortunately for us country wins in the club vs. country debate for Guevara.

Hopefully Philly takes him in the expansion draft.