PDA

View Full Version : TFC coach wants fans 'louder than ever'

DOMIN8R
10-05-2009, 03:34 PM
TFC coach wants fans 'louder than ever'

Attention Toronto FC fans: Chris Cummins wants your help.

As his players returned from three days off to begin preparations Monday for the final push that will decide if they make the playoffs, the TFC coach urged supporters to be in full throat on Saturday when the team returns to BMO Field to take on the San Jose Earthquakes in their first home match in nearly a month.

"We need the fans to get behind us. We need them to be the 12th man," Cummins told reporters. "They've done it all year but I want them to be louder than ever."

TFC (9-10-8) comes off a bye week in 10th place in Major League soccer, three points out of the 8th and final playoff spot with three games to go. If they go on a three-game win streak, something the Reds have done just once in three seasons of MLS competition, they should secure their first post-season berth.

And, while the task is a tall one, their next two games are at home, where TFC is an impressive 7-3-3 this season, followed by a season-ending date in New York against the MLS-worst Red Bulls.

"We're going to have a real good push for this," Cummins said.

Barring expansion Seattle, Cummins said "there's no atmosphere" for most TFC road games. As a result, he said, players for both the Reds and the visitors love playing in Toronto, where a boisterous sellout crowd of 20,000 is always on hand.

"If the fans get right behind us and get on the other team then I think it does have an affect," he said.

Cummins said he would prefer stadium officials stopped playing the music for "O Canada" before the game and instead just let the fans belt it out.
"It sounds a lot better and they get right behind the team that way," he said.

Newly signed midfielder Julian de Guzman, TFC's first "designated player," will make his home debut on Saturday. And, he's excited it's in such a crucial moment of the season.

"This will be a special moment for not just us but the fans," said the native of Scarborough. "I think they deserve victories for the next three games of the season."

A little more here: http://www.thestar.com/mls/torontofc/article/705692

THA BUTCHA
10-05-2009, 03:39 PM
pfft..

ya keep pandering to the supporters....

Pathetic.

How about you worry about getting 3 points and the fans will take care of themselves.

pekduck
10-05-2009, 03:39 PM
"Fans wants TFC coach to manage 3 wins in a row..."

wait... I digress :)

We'll always bring it, only if those scalper seats buyers in frigging Jays uniform and ball cap who sits down and sipping beer beside me can relate...lol

TFC07
10-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Thanks for pointing out the obvious, Cummins.

Worry about team, not fans.

DOMIN8R
10-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Wow. So much hate.

v00d00daddy
10-05-2009, 03:45 PM
This is a joke.

The supporters are loud every game.

Does he honestly think that the supporters being louder is going to change anything on the field?

Just get the team prepared and be ready tactically coach Cummins.

The supporters have nothing to do with this.

DOMIN8R
10-05-2009, 03:47 PM
I can see that I should have posted this in the RPB only section.

billyfly
10-05-2009, 03:48 PM
Drunker than ever, eh? I'll try.

pekduck
10-05-2009, 03:48 PM
lol, mine is tongue in cheek, but we all care about the points at this stage in the season

v00d00daddy
10-05-2009, 03:53 PM

Did you honestly expect people to say:

"Okay guys and gals...we gotta be louder than ever to spur on the boys when they need us most."

How many times does this tripe have to be said?

It's up to the team. It always has been, always will be. Why would Cummins expect a good reaction people after saying something like this?

Nobody wants to hear this shit. We just want results.

Would you have received a different reaction in the members only forum?

ensco
10-05-2009, 03:55 PM
It is actually kind of funny how often football managers say variations of this.

If Ron Wilson said he "needed" the crowd to bring its A game to tomorrow night's Leaf game, people would be in shocked disbelief.

Darlofletch
10-05-2009, 04:02 PM
re the anthem. The no music version sounded great aginst PRI because it was more or less spontaneous and a one off, and it was a big game. If they routinely did no music, that'd soon become tired and a lot quieter just like the with music version was great to start off with(hey! no anthem singer! great!) and occasionally still is, but is generally crap because everyone's blase and used to it.

wzhxvy
10-05-2009, 04:09 PM
I think he should focus on the strategy and game tactic perhaps vs. music selection prior to a game. You focus on the things you can control and you are good at...he obviously has no clue as to coaching so he is now telling us we need to be loud. Thanks ! Next thing he will be making suggestions on banners :-)

THA BUTCHA
10-05-2009, 04:11 PM
It is actually kind of funny how often football managers say variations of this.

If Ron Wilson said he "needed" the crowd to bring its A game to tomorrow night's Leaf game, people would be in shocked disbelief.

You make a good point.

TFC as an organization panders to us way too much its starting to make me sick.

We're the best fans in MLS...Blah blah blah...ENUFF..
Every commercial you see about TFC. Do you ever see any players? Any game action?

I hope starting next year TFC start giving people a reason to come to BMO other than to see the FREAK SHOW ie. Fans

Its starting to look stupid.

Super
10-05-2009, 04:32 PM
We all need to get behind the team more than ever on Saturday, and the following Saturday as well. It's do or die - and I hope the importance of this game will reflect itself in the support of the crowd as well.

Pigfynn
10-05-2009, 04:34 PM
A lot of you guys are really pathetic and really should go support something else.

What a joke? the manager of the team you supposedly support has asked you to make a special effort for the team's push for a playoff place whilst still acknowledging the usual effort you make and you respond like that? Pathetic!

jabbronies
10-05-2009, 04:41 PM
hahhah people on this board are hillarious. So much anger over such an innocent statement.

I'm sure if you listen to the line of questioing by the reporter it would have probably lead toward this statement.

wzhxvy
10-05-2009, 04:42 PM
I would like to hear from CC what special effort he is making to win the next 3 games ? What has he learned from his coaching experience at TFC that he is going to apply in the next 3 games ? I can support the team any way I want and choose...I have no respect for CC based on his results and his performance. You earn my respect as a result of performance not because you are given a title within TFC.

Pigfynn
10-05-2009, 04:46 PM
You guys make me laugh....holy shit! You don't don't think CC is making an effort however "special" to win the next three games? You don't think he really wants to win? Just because he doesn't call a fucking press conference to explain his ideas to the fans doesn't mean he can't ask for effort from the fans on Saturday. If you think he's not asking for a "special" effort from his players, you are a fool.

wzhxvy
10-05-2009, 04:50 PM
You dont have to insult people and call them fools because they dont agree with you.

InTheCrowd
10-05-2009, 04:51 PM
What's the big deal. He's obviously trying to get the three points but just asking for a bit more backing.

wzhxvy
10-05-2009, 04:56 PM
I want to know what special effort he is going to make to coach the team, pick the right formation (making the tough decisions for once in his life vs. picking on DD and letting others get away with MURDER on the pitch), and adjust during the games so we win all 3. Thats all I want to hear. Its insulting to my intelligence to be asked to be louder as if we dont know how important the games are. He needs to focus on his job and what he needs to do...not what the fans should do.

v00d00daddy
10-05-2009, 05:01 PM
People....the supporters could be the loudest they've ever been and it won't make a lick of difference.

People don't get this yet.

Yes...the supporters cheering and singing makes the atmosphere better than if it were quiet but it has always been loud at BMO. It doesn't change how the team plays.

The coach, however, can change how the team plays and performs. That's why his statement is ridiculous and people are taking offence.

In the short history of this team, how many "do or die" games have there been? Several. In each of them, the supporters say the same shit. We have to be louder and stronger for the team.

What has that accomplished? Not much. You know why? Because it's only a small fraction of what needs to happen for TFC to succeed. The supporters being loud will not make this team win. It doesn't work that way.

Cummins suggesting that he "needs" the supporters to bring it is sad, really.

We always make fun of places like Columbus and NYRB with their support. It's been terrible at times and it's been okay at times. Bottom line...those teams were in the final last year. It had nothing to do with how loud their supporters were.

Cummins should be able to get TFC to perform regardless of whether there are supporters in the stands or not.

That's why his statement is ridiculous in my opinion.

ensco
10-05-2009, 05:06 PM
It's not ridiculous for Cummins to do this. It's interesting.

Football is a unique sport, where the players, fans and management form a holy trinity (to use Bill Shankly's expression). The manager is not management, that's separate.

In the language of football, Cummins is acknowledging the special importance of Saturday's game.

He may well be an inexperienced, even inept manager, but even if you hold that view, not everything he does is bad.

jloome
10-05-2009, 05:10 PM

Why, exactly, Dom? Because people here are incessantly negative? People here are incessantly positive, too. It's the same on every forum. If a board were simply one of the two, it wouldn't be fun or rational.

Pigfynn
10-05-2009, 05:20 PM
You dont have to insult people and call them fools because they dont agree with you.

I didn't insult "people" for not agreeing with me I said If you think he's not asking for a "special" effort from his players, you are a fool.

You don't think he has reminded his players of Saturday's importance? You don't think he has asked for and expects a special effort from his team in order to make the playoffs? I'm sorry but you'd have to be very, very cynical and a touch jaded to not believe he wants to win and is doing his best to do so.

Whatever though guys back to your great, productive conversation.

:facepalm: x1000

CoachGT
10-05-2009, 05:28 PM
If he wants to hear loud, get the team into the playoffs. THEN he'll hear LOUD!

But we'll be loud for the last two anyways!

THA BUTCHA
10-05-2009, 05:39 PM
What's the big deal. He's obviously trying to get the three points but just asking for a bit more backing.

Thats true. But you dont have the call a Toronto star reporter and ask him to write a fluff piece in the local paper.

OF COURSE we are going to be loud.

Focus on what's important

3 POINTS

Oldtimer
10-05-2009, 05:39 PM
I'm going to try to be loud.
We DO have an effect on the team, that's why they play better at home.

Oldtimer
10-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Thats true. But you dont have the call a Toronto star reporter and ask him to write a fluff piece in the local paper.

OF COURSE we are going to be loud.

Focus on what's important

3 POINTS

For all you know, CC shared some great footballing insight, talked about all he was doing to get the players focused, but it was the reporter who chose to focus on the fluff.

TFC115
10-05-2009, 05:43 PM
I do agree that he should worry about getting the 3 on Saturday but who says being loud for a team doesn't affect anything? Why are most teams (e.x EPL) home records really good and away records mediocre?Why does everyone say that you need to win and home and try to steal them on the road? It's because supporting the team and being loud does make a difference.

johnmolinaro
10-05-2009, 06:10 PM
I was in the press scrum today and in Chris' defence, he didn't mean to suggest the home crowds need to step up 'their game' because they've been quiet the past few times.

He was just saying that he felt the team really needs the supporters to urge them on and be the 12th man. Granted, it's a rather obvious statement to make, but no malice was intended.

John
http://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro

wzhxvy
10-05-2009, 06:11 PM
^^^^ :-) Did you ask him about the away record again ?

Did you guys ask him if we should raise our scarves up high as well ?

THA BUTCHA
10-05-2009, 07:28 PM
but no malice was intended.

http://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro

Just lots of stupidity...

On another note:

Please keep asking them the HARD QUESTIONS John.
Because the guy that wrote this article should opologize to his readers for being such a tool.

Terrible..

brad
10-05-2009, 07:30 PM
I was in the press scrum today and in Chris' defence, he didn't mean to suggest the home crowds need to step up 'their game' because they've been quiet the past few times.

Chris should ask the Front Office to have the security step back, because they are killing the atmosphere (actually, I would go so far to say they have killed it outside the supporters sections).

backbeat
10-05-2009, 07:30 PM
holy shit

what a negative crowd

CC says we have the best supporters and to come all out for the next game and all you give is this negative shit?:picard:

of course he isn't only relying on the crowd

of course he's focusing on preparing the team as best he and the staff can

but come on folks - all he's emphasizing is let's make it a really big day - and why the fuck not - he is on our side you know - like him or not – give it a break, fuck something so innocent gets taken way out of proportion.

:scarf::flare::drum::canada:

THA BUTCHA
10-05-2009, 07:40 PM
holy shit

what a negative crowd

CC says we have the best supporters and to come all out for the next game and all you give is this negative shit?:picard:

of course he isn't only relying on the crowd

of course he's focusing on preparing the team as best he and the staff can

but come on folks - all he's emphasizing is let's make it a really big day - and why the fuck not - he is on our side you know - like him or not – give it a break, fuck something so innocent gets taken way out of proportion.

:scarf::flare::drum::canada:

You dont get it.

Making comments like they did ARE HOOKEY/CHEESY/CHEAP and straight up UNPROFESSIONAL.

MLSE say they wanna make TFC a Big team on the world stage. How bout they start acting like it.

bimmer
10-05-2009, 07:56 PM
You dont get it.

Making comments like they did ARE HOOKEY/CHEESY/CHEAP and straight up UNPROFESSIONAL.

MLSE say they wanna make TFC a Big team on the world stage. How bout they start acting like it.

I cannot for the life of me understand why Cummins' comment has made you this angry.

jloome
10-05-2009, 07:57 PM
You dont get it.

What utter nonsense. First of all, I'm pretty sure you meant "hokey." Secondly, what on Earth is unprofessional about reaching out to the fanbase?

Utter claptrap. YOu don't like the man, say it. But some people are just here to bitch no matter what.

Brooker
10-05-2009, 08:02 PM
and here i figured i was just gonna show up and text all game long.

do we need to be told to show up for the most important game of the season?

the only people who haven't been showing up for games are Toronto Football Club.

backbeat
10-05-2009, 08:14 PM

the only people who haven't been showing up for games are Toronto Football Club.

you take his comments WAY TO SERIOUSLY

it was in the spirit of camaraderie at best

holy fuck - RELAX for god's sake

Dichio has asked for the 12th man from us a million times

what's the big deal

enjoy yourself and the last few games

at the end of the season you can go ape shit!!

bimmer
10-05-2009, 08:19 PM

Wow, way to take things out of context. In no way did Cummins imply that the supporters were less than spectacular, nor was he trying to "remind" the supporters that this is an important game.

Some people are just letting their hate of Cummins lead to selective perception. I'm sure that if De Guzman or DeRosario were to say the same thing, it would be met with cries of agreement and approval.

Brooker
10-05-2009, 08:22 PM
lol come on, i never said he implied the supporters were less than spectacular or to remind the supporters that this is an important game.

if anybody involved with toronto fc says "they want the fans to bring it" i am simply replying "why dont you bring it for a change. don't worry about us."

i have no idea why that is taking things out of context.

you take his comments WAY TO SERIOUSLY

it was in the spirit of camaraderie at best

holy fuck - RELAX for god's sake

Dichio has asked for the 12th man from us a million times

what's the big deal

enjoy yourself and the last few games

at the end of the season you can go ape shit!!

coming from some1 who said "cut chris some slack" !!!!

I've simply had enough of Chris "i can't coach my way out of a wet paper bag" Cummins.

"to be honest with ya... chris.... can i be honest with ya, chris? in all honestly..."

he is without a shadow of a doubt (in my mind) the absolute worst coach right now in MLS. and anytime he opens his mouth, i will treat him that way until he is fired at the end of the season.

bimmer
10-05-2009, 08:32 PM
lol come on, i never said he implied the supporters were less than spectacular or to remind the supporters that this is an important game.

if anybody involved with toronto fc says "they want the fans to bring it" i am simply replying "why dont you bring it for a change. don't worry about us."

i have no idea why that is taking things out of context.

Your post was very defensive (meaning you believe accusations were made) and I simply interpreted it as I read it.

do we need to be told to show up for the most important game of the season?ie, Cummins told you/us to show up for the game.

the only people who haven't been showing up for games are Toronto Football Club.ie, Cummins implied that supporters haven't been showing up for games.

FluSH
10-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Wow. So much hate.

LOL

:D

Cummings is right though... we are all in this mess together... and we must step up for our team! He doesn't need to tell us that... we should already know... and do...

ochos
10-05-2009, 09:54 PM
For the people who have come on here and criticized CC for his comments - you're the kind of people I would not want to play on my footie team.

I have pride, but not so much that if my coach asks me to step it up, I'll lash out with insults.

I cannot stand the amount of negativity on hear sometimes. We have a job to do come this weekend, and by god if the coach is not asking us to give it our all, then I'd really be questioning him.

Winners know how to act with professionalism and support the team through and through. Swallow your pride and support this team. I'm not going to spend the last few weeks of the season bickering about what should have been done. I'm going to go out there and scream my head off until the referee blows his whistle

SamK
10-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Why is everyone so negative? CC is just recognizing its a huge home game for us and hes just letting us know that the team does appreciate that were always there for them.
And saturday shouldnt be any different.

wzhxvy
10-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Yeah well Ochos...those people who need to be "pumped" or told to "step it up" are not the people I want to be on my team either...or working with or depending on for any type of result. I dont need to be told to do a good job, support my team, or be pumped for the final game. I also dont need to be told that I have to do well at work, do my best, bla bla...those comments are reserved for those who lack motivation and skill...which I dont think is a reflection of TFC fans and the support they give their club.

At the end of the day...some of you are right, I would not be upset if this came from Dero...and I wouldnt because he brings it every game, plays with passion and put it all for the team...and yes he delivers most importantly. But I sure as hell not taking it from CC...as I said, FOCUS on the formation, the strategy for the game, and adjust during the game. Other than that...I dont want to hear from him. I have heard enough BS from him...this is the guy who said DD couldnt travel remember.

Super
10-05-2009, 10:20 PM
CC's comments are certainly appreciated by many, but I don't think we need any further incentive or inspiration to bring everything we have come next home game. However, as I said, we should still show appreciation for CC because of the support he has shown us as well. He's always been quick to speak highly of us, and that I think deserves a little more kindness from us than what has been demonstrated in this thread today.

AL-MO
10-05-2009, 10:20 PM
MEH.

I bring it every game in 112, and will continue to.

Not sure what the big deal is.

shwade
10-05-2009, 10:23 PM
omgg he's such an assholeeeee...can't believe he said that.

denime
10-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Some of you are so fu^*ing pathetic that not even funny.

Who do f*ck you think we are, that CC has to give us something so you will support the team.
He has to answer to his boss only and we as supporters have to support the team,if you have problem with coach acknowledging our support and asking for extra push that stay the f*ck away for SG boards and go watch Oprah.
If they want us to push harder than we will push,not bitch.

Bitch,whine and cry is all we can find lately on this board and funny enough always from same characters.
We are at the point where TFC still can make the playoffs and look at us calling out a coach because he asked openly for support.Did any of you ever occurred that not everybody at BMO Filed is supporter,maybe his message was for all those fans they don't bring it every single game as we do,and maybe just maybe he want them to get more involved.
No keep whining! :picard:

Shakes McQueen
10-05-2009, 10:46 PM
You guys will jump on anything. Get a grip.

It was a completely harmless and innocuous "call to arms" to the TFC supporters, to bring their "A" game for the upcoming home fixture, not a lecture.

Unbelievable.

- Scott

Blizzard
10-05-2009, 11:21 PM

It was a completely harmless and innocuous "call to arms" to the TFC supporters, to bring their "A" game for the upcoming home fixture, not a lecture.

Unbelievable.

- Scott

This is unbelievable folks. The article I saw was full of compliments for the supporters. There was nothing negative at all. What he was, for all intents and purposes, saying was that TFC needs us and what we bring to BMO Field.

Did he have to say what he said? Well, the SG's certainly didn't need to be told BUT WE AREN'T THE ONLY PEOPLE IN THE STADIUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C'mon people! Stop being insulted by compliments and just worry about resting your vocal chords so that Saturday is the loudest that BMO has ever, ever been!

B

AL-MO
10-05-2009, 11:25 PM
I know I'll be hoarse for Thanksgiving Dinner on Sunday. :D

Brooker
10-05-2009, 11:34 PM
when i wake up the day after a game.... my throat is fucked and my leg is killing me from stomping.

if i wanna call out Cummins I don't see why thats a bad thing. i'm not trying to troll or find fault in anything he says. i've just seen enough and i am gonna take shots at Mr Honestly as much as i want. as whiney as i may sound, theres only one thing i can be guarenteed on game day and thats the south end. im just asking him to bring it, aswell.

Shakes McQueen
10-06-2009, 12:05 AM
when i wake up the day after a game.... my throat is fucked and my leg is killing me from stomping.

if i wanna call out Cummins I don't see why thats a bad thing. i'm not trying to troll or find fault in anything he says. i've just seen enough and i am gonna take shots at Mr Honestly as much as i want. as whiney as i may sound, theres only one thing i can be guarenteed on game day and thats the south end. im just asking him to bring it, aswell.

It's not about calling him out for the job he has done as a coach - it's about people getting overly whiny and sensitive about a completely harmless newspaper article.

There are lots of articles on this website, criticizing him for the job he has done as coach.

- Scott

Mark in Ottawa
10-06-2009, 07:02 AM
It is all a matter of context... as in "not said in malice" but more in the vein of...

"you guys bring it like you always do... and the players will know that they are expected to reciprocate"

The players always want to win. Without that they would have washed out as professional footballers long ago.

Fort York Redcoat
10-06-2009, 07:09 AM
THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!!

Stop telling me to shout when I want to shout!:rolleyes:

johnmolinaro
10-06-2009, 07:16 AM
that's exactly what it was, a call to arms to the supporters be loud and proud. I appreciate Chris isn't well-liked by a lot of you, but to jump down his throat for these pretty innocuous comments is, IMO, a bit over the top.

John

Unbelievable.

- Scott

Oldtimer
10-06-2009, 07:23 AM
http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/705963--late-game-lapses-cost-tfc-playoff-points

When you look at the articles published on Monday night, you see that Cummins talked about team concentration (which I think you'll all agree is necessary) and other things. So the scrum covered a lot more than fans "being loud," just as I expected. Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves for jumping on CC based on one article.

stugautz
10-06-2009, 07:30 AM
Wow, we always ask players to step it up for a big game. We know they give it their all every night. But to ask the fans to do the same? Wow what an outrage this is causing.

I think of line that's said just about every time I play madden...so much that I hate it "Big players make big plays in big games". This is a big game coming up here and all CC asked us to do was turn the volume from 10 to 11. Just that little extra notch to put us over the edge.

Section 117
10-06-2009, 07:40 AM
As much as I dislike CC this comment IMO was not directed at the supporter groups... They know we bring it for 90 minutes every game, unlike our team some games (Sorry I had to take a shot at the squad) This comment is more for the casual fans or the "prawns"

But for the record let me state that if the team comes out flat or shows a lack of desire or plays like crap we should be louder and at the end of the game let them have it.

Just my 2 cents

JonO
10-06-2009, 07:46 AM
I know I'll be hoarse for Thanksgiving Dinner on Sunday. :D
You've got whores for thanksgiving dinner...??

See what I did there... :cool:

Flipityflu
10-06-2009, 08:34 AM
lol, how funny.

somebody here says this, and we all start slapping backs and practising our war faces. CC does it, and its just another reason why he's shit.

felipe
10-06-2009, 09:07 AM
It was very brave for CC to make such a bold inflammatory statement before the big match. It was a carefully executed masterstroke to get the fans and press attention focused solely on him, relieving the big game pressure on his players.

It seems to be working very well...

ManUtd4ever
10-06-2009, 09:35 AM
I don't think it was Cummins' intent to upset the supporter groups. However, I also think that he was stating the obvious. The last home game of any significance was July 2008 against Montreal. I was at that game and it was by far the best atmosphere of any TFC match in the short history of BMO Field. I know the supporter groups will do their part and hopefully the players will do theirs. I will be hammered and singing away as usual in good old section 119...

:scarf:

Belfast_Boy
10-06-2009, 09:37 AM
You've got whores for thanksgiving dinner...??

See what I did there... :cool:

Shit! i'm just having turkey!

as far as I remember CC is in the coaching business (at least for now..). he should stick to that and leave the support to the supporters.

Bobo
10-06-2009, 09:44 AM

Why, for a better response? Anyone who's hating (I would hope) is hating because they already bring it week in week out. CC is calling on every supporter. And enough casuals rock RPB scarves. Not half as bad as USector but still agitates me.

Personally I don't see much wrong in what Cummins said, but I don't like him or want him here anymore....so shut up Chris.

Roogsy
10-06-2009, 09:48 AM
I am ok with what Chris said. All coaches say the same thing when they are faced with these do or die situations. The only thing I would say in response to Chris is to get the players up for the game and we will do our part. If the players come out flat or on their heels...you will kill the atmosphere right from the start.

And I agree with Section 117...his message is more for the non-affiliated fans in the stands...I am sure Cummins knows the supporters will be bringing it fo'sho'.

But I have to agree with the comments from those that mentioned scalpers. If TFC REALLY want to help the atmosphere, they should take a harder stance against scalpers who are the real culprits as to any lack of atmosphere in the stands. In 112, it's always the scalper seats that are failing to contribute.

Parkdale
10-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Drunker than ever, eh? I'll try.

http://tv.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/family-feud-richard-dawson1.jpg

Good answer, good answer!

mastermixer
10-06-2009, 11:12 AM
So should we as fans keep quiet during the game and leave it up to the team? Players aren't robots...fans do make a difference in any league and everyone in the league knows that BMO is a tough place to come and play. I like the fact that he wants to include us as the "12th man" in the pre-game pep talk. Now lets stop being a bunch of sensitive pansies and give the team the boost they will need to win these next two games!!

Keystone FC
10-06-2009, 12:23 PM
It's interesting that TFC is asking their supporters to get even louder and the Crew are telling their supporters to 'Shut The F@#k Up':
http://blackandgoldstandard.com/?p=2237

AL-MO
10-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Chris should ask the Front Office to have the security step back, because they are killing the atmosphere (actually, I would go so far to say they have killed it outside the supporters sections).

I think brad hit on a big issue. Security in 'non' supporter sections is brutal.

DangerRed
10-06-2009, 01:04 PM
If Cummins can offer any quantifiable proof that my cheering louder than I already am will make Nick Garcia run faster, defend better and score on the OTHER net, I will bring a bullhorn and scream all game long.

If he can prove that my screaming will improve Barrett's strike rate, I'll bring an amplifier.

GBV
10-06-2009, 06:44 PM
high of plus-9 saturday. love it!

FluSH
10-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Why, for a better response? Anyone who's hating (I would hope) is hating because they already bring it week in week out. CC is calling on every supporter. And enough casuals rock RPB scarves. Not half as bad as USector but still agitates me.

Personally I don't see much wrong in what Cummins said, but I don't like him or want him here anymore....so shut up Chris.

Bobo don't take this the wrong way but...

I think too many people here are focusing on the messenger and not the war...

Had Domnin8r posted this in the RPB section maybe it would have been a different response... maybe... but people here look at the messenger only which is Chris Cummings and forget that we have a freaking job to do... We are not casuals, part-timers, or soccer analysts... we are supporters... and even the RU or non members who frequent these boards would have a element of this...(I hope)

If DeRo came out and said what Chris just did do you think people here would have reacted the same way? I don't think so...

and on the people that think they bring it every week... well I have news for you... You don't

I am there point blank and I've seen everyone go through bad days... off days... including myself... at times people blame the weather... at times people blame the play... regardless noone from 110-113 can tell me they bring it every week... noone...

We need to bring our 'A' game this weekend... and we can't have any excuses...

Blizzard
10-06-2009, 09:25 PM

Had Domnin8r posted this in the RPB section maybe it would have been a different response... maybe... but people here look at the messenger only which is Chris Cummings and forget that we have a freaking job to do... We are not casuals, part-timers, or soccer analysts... we are supporters... and even the RU or non members who frequent these boards would have a element of this...(I hope)

If DeRo came out and said what Chris just did do you think people here would have reacted the same way? I don't think so...

and on the people that think they bring it every week... well I have news for you... You don't

I am there point blank and I've seen everyone go through bad days... off days... including myself... at times people blame the weather... at times people blame the play... regardless noone from 110-113 can tell me they bring it every week... noone...

What he said! :scarf::flare::drum:

B

ochos
10-06-2009, 09:38 PM

If it weren't for chronic throat soreness... I'd contemplate challenging you on that ;)

johnmolinaro
10-06-2009, 09:40 PM
I mean no disrespect, and lord knows CC and I haven't seen eye to eye on a lot of things, but I think this criticism of his comments is WAY over the top.

Seriously, people are making way too much of it.

John

Antifa Bhoy
10-06-2009, 10:03 PM
People....the supporters could be the loudest they've ever been and it won't make a lick of difference.

People don't get this yet.

Yes...the supporters cheering and singing makes the atmosphere better than if it were quiet but it has always been loud at BMO. It doesn't change how the team plays.

The coach, however, can change how the team plays and performs. That's why his statement is ridiculous and people are taking offence.

In the short history of this team, how many "do or die" games have there been? Several. In each of them, the supporters say the same shit. We have to be louder and stronger for the team.

What has that accomplished? Not much. You know why? Because it's only a small fraction of what needs to happen for TFC to succeed. The supporters being loud will not make this team win. It doesn't work that way.

Cummins suggesting that he "needs" the supporters to bring it is sad, really.

We always make fun of places like Columbus and NYRB with their support. It's been terrible at times and it's been okay at times. Bottom line...those teams were in the final last year. It had nothing to do with how loud their supporters were.

Cummins should be able to get TFC to perform regardless of whether there are supporters in the stands or not.

That's why his statement is ridiculous in my opinion.

here's what robbo had to say to me in an interview i did with him about fans.

Compared to Europe, how do the fans in Toronto stack up in comparison? What are the differences you see, and are their any similarities?

TFC fans remind me of English fans....loud, follow you everywhere and want to win at all costs. Fans here get behind you even if you are losing but over there they don't. Players need help sometimes and the fans can defo be our 12th man like they are here.

How important is it for the fans to sing for 90 minutes whether winning or losing? In your opinion can fans really be the 12th man?

Defo important. Fans are the 12th man.....people don't realise how big they can be but as a player, I do.

What impact does it have on you seeing smoke bombs and other effects being lit off by supporters of your team?

Great to see smoke and stuff everywhere.The more intimidating, the better. Banners, flags and songs are massive amongst players.

CC just told the fans to get behind the team. Coaches do this everywhere around the world. stop being so fucking butthurt about it.

westrouge
10-06-2009, 10:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fotmpIa0-EQ

that's atmosphere. that's an intimidating place to me. For those of you who scoff at Cummins asking the fans to get behind the team, take note of fans like those at Besiktas.

Whoop
10-06-2009, 10:14 PM
I love the TFC section. LOL

AL-MO
10-06-2009, 10:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fotmpIa0-EQ

that's atmosphere. that's an intimidating place to me. For those of you who scoff at Cummins asking the fans to get behind the team, take note of fans like those at Besiktas.

We already have a thread praising Besiktas fans... ;) :D

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=17349

Chewy Unikronik
10-07-2009, 09:48 AM
Winfield Wants Noise!!!!!!!!!!

v00d00daddy
10-07-2009, 10:29 AM
here's what robbo had to say to me in an interview i did with him about fans.

CC just told the fans to get behind the team. Coaches do this everywhere around the world. stop being so fucking butthurt about it.

Fair enough....but just to put it into perspective a little.

Cummins saying this is (to me) just like Barrett or Garcia saying it. Get my drift?

Not that I have a personal vendetta against them, I just think they need to focus on other things that matter WAY more.

Again, Cummins' persepctive should be:

"I don't give a shit if the stadium is empty or we have to play on the face of the moon. The boys are ready and will perform up to their capabilities. See you on Saturday"

That's the attitude I would like from the coach in a time like this.

Not..."a loud crowd would really help us"

I totally support getting behind the team right now, but I can't get behind the coach anymore.

It's just a matter of personal preference and I think some of you guys are taking critiscism of the team, or in this case, of the coach.....as a criticism of yourselves.

spark
10-07-2009, 10:45 AM
As much as I dislike CC this comment IMO was not directed at the supporter groups... They know we bring it for 90 minutes every game, unlike our team some games (Sorry I had to take a shot at the squad) This comment is more for the casual fans or the "prawns"

And as Brad said on page two - he should direct his comment at security who throw out anyone outside of the supporters sections who want to stand and cheer on the team. I know for a fact that 104/105/120 etc... would be on their feet giving 150% but they're not allowed. So now it's a huge game where we need a fortress and we'll have 70% of the stadium sitting on their hands.

Roogsy
10-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Winfield Wants Noise!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

Ah...the good ol'days.