PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Article... TFC wins "brand of the year"

Parkdale
09-29-2009, 04:19 PM
http://www.strategymag.com/articles/magazine/20091001/boytfc.html

Overall winner - Frenzied fans fuel Toronto FC

Toronto FC has scored some serious points since being officially introduced as the city's newest pro sports franchise in 2006. Although it may have yet to establish itself as a bona fide winner in Major League Soccer (MLS), it's irreproachably achieved that status in the eyes of Toronto soccer fans. They come to watch home games in droves.
Since day one, the stands at BMO Field, a 20,000-seat soccer-specific stadium built just for the squad, have teemed with exuberant fans, chanting, even beating drums as they madly wave red team scarves in the air. TFC's inaugural season saw 14,000 season tickets sold (two tickets per name), increasing to 16,000 in years two and three. The waiting list ballooned from 5,000 people in year one to 10,000 in year two and 16,000 this year.
When they set out to launch the brand, the team at Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment (MLSE) behind TFC knew that winning over Torontonians wouldn't be a cakewalk. The city's saturated with well-established sports franchises, and its soccer fan base, though robust, is mostly fractured by differing ethnicities and team loyalties.
"We knew that there are thousands of people getting up on Saturday morning and watching European soccer. It was important that we didn't try and replace that for them," explains Paul Beirne, senior director of business operations for Toronto FC. "We wanted to be their local soccer club. You might be a Liverpool supporter sitting beside an Everton supporter, but you could share your love for Toronto FC and enjoy your mutual distaste for each other's teams."
That's how the slogan "All for One" was born, the rallying cry that MLSE, its internal agency Vision and original branding partner, Toronto-based design shop AmoebaCorp (Taxi 2 came on board as AOR in year two), used to entice hardcore soccer fans of all backgrounds from across the city.
Promotions really began with speaking directly to fans. TFC held pub crawls across the city where patrons could discuss the potential for a successful pro soccer team in Toronto with the team's head coach, players and staff. They even had the chance to vote to finalize the team name.
"Listening to our supporters was something that is core to this brand," says Beirne. "The launch was all about access. It was about going out to football fans on their turf."
Advertising was created with a gritty "of the people" feel, drawing from ethnic street art and handmade signs to establish a grassroots aesthetic, and featuring TFC's logo and tagline printed in English, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and Mandarin. It permeated throughout Toronto's multicultural neighbourhoods via print, OOH executions, streetcar wraps and bumper stickers.
"Celebrating the love of the sport and the fact that you have a place you can go and actually enjoy this game live, that's where we found fertile ground for our brand positioning," says Rick Amaral, designer and strategist at AmoebaCorp.

To create an authentic fan experience, they drew from football leagues around the world like Italy's Serie A league, Spain's La Liga and most notably the English Premier League. For example, TFC is a football club - hence "FC," not soccer.
Most teams in those leagues come out of athletic associations, so TFC's name and look hearken back to those origins. Their logo is classic and crest-like. The team's primary colour, red, often represents champions in the sport. Membership cards were given out with season ticket purchases, and ticket prices were set to ensure the brand's accessibility, ranging between $23 and $70.
And there are no mascots or cheerleaders. "Something we tried to avoid was the Disneyfying of the sport for North America - taking a property from the rest of the world and changing it to make it palatable for our audience," explains Mikey Richardson, co-CD and partner at AmoebaCorp.
The in-stadium atmosphere is also tailored to exude a sense of authenticity. The food served during games is not just hot dogs and pretzels, but also international fare. One popular initiative involved attaching TFC scarves to tickets to the team's first home game of the inaugural season so fans could sport them in the stands, which is a regular spectacle at matches overseas.
"This came out of an insight that Rick had as a fan of the game, and has turned into a huge trend for them," says Richardson. "There are [now] companies knocking them off and selling them in the parking lot."
The team has reinforced the club's connection to the international football world by arranging friendlies with reputable international squads. Most recently, a match against star-studded La Liga juggernaut Real Madrid set the fans at BMO Field, and all of Toronto, ablaze with football frenzy.
TFC also successfully leveraged corporate partners early on to enrich the experience, like title sponsor BMO Financial Group, a stakeholder in the stadium whose name adorns all of TFC's gear, and Carlsberg, which has its own open patio at one side of the pitch.
"When people, especially football fans, think of Carlsberg, they align it with football because they're on [Liverpool FC] jerseys and others," says Beirne. "It was important for us to be aligned with a football-authentic beer brand, and it was important for them to own soccer in Toronto."
Deals with media partners like Sportsnet and CBC (which is airing the 2010 FIFA World Cup), the Toronto Sun and MLSE's own assets like Leafs TV, Raptors TV and the recently acquired Gol TV, have allowed TFC to extend their offering to fans at home. Given a modest marketing budget, TFC has also relied on them to activate the brand in market since its launch campaign.
Adidas, another major partner, is behind TFC apparel. On top of MLSE's in-house merchandise stores at BMO Field and the Air Canada Centre, TFC apparel is sold in Adidas and related stores. The team currently leads MLS jersey sales.

Corporations have recognized the team as a cash crop, and quickly lined up to don TFC red. Since starting with 18 corporate partners in the 2007 expansion season, TFC now boasts around 40. The team experienced revenue growth of 25% from '07 to '08 and 10% from '08 to '09. It's sold out of inventory but is trying to find more.
"There's certainly more appetite," says Beirne. "We expect continued growth for the next several years."
The brand's success in creating an authentic experience has even seen other teams borrowing from its playbook. TFC lent its business plan as a template to Seattle Sounders FC, who played their first MLS game this year, as well as Philadelphia Union, which will play its first game in 2010.
All in all, it's really the fanatical joy and sense of camaraderie that Toronto soccer fans of diverse backgrounds share that's been the team's secret sauce. With consistent sellout crowds and a growing number of independent supporter groups like the Red Patch Boys and Tribal Rhythm Nation propping up the atmosphere, in year three its safe to say that TFC's momentum is showing no signs of slowing down.
"I envision an expanded BMO Field, I envision a dynasty, if you will," says Beirne. "I think we have an opportunity within our league to create a team that can not just win one year, but can be very competitive on a perennial basis."

TFC fun facts:
- At every single home game in the 24th minute, TFC fans sing a song to (now retired) player Danny Dichio, who scored the team's first-ever goal in the 24th minute of the fifth game of their inaugural season. Search "Toronto FC first goal ever" on YouTube to see the foamy seat cushion frenzy that resulted.
- Here's some possible campaign fodder: TFC is looking to replace the turf at BMO Field with real grass.
- TFC also likes to grow its own talent. It has a youth soccer academy that looks to attract the best talent in Ontario to its under-16 and under-18 teams.

Obviously these are the views of the person who wrote the article, and not my own. (I'm just reposting what I find)

Parkdale
09-29-2009, 04:20 PM
http://www.strategymag.com/images/coverpics/20091001.jpg

TFC fan bios:
Name: George Watters
Profession: self-employed
Neighbourhood: Whitby
What is the craziest thing you have done in the name of TFC? At the All-Star game last year, and also at an L.A. Galaxy game, I dressed up as the King, Elvis, in a white jumpsuit with all the trimmings. My daughter Elizabeth sat with me in our two front row season tickets [seats] for the L.A. game, and my son Scott sat with me at the All-Star game - I made the highlight reel on Sportsnet. For the L.A. game and the All-Star game I was interviewed at half-time by CV2 [a segment on TFC TV]. We travelled to both games in a white stretch limo with all the family and a few close friends.
Name: Sarah Pittard
Profession: lawyer
Neighbourhood: The Beach
What is the craziest thing you have done in the name of TFC? I have definitely had some great times warming up for the games at the local pubs, but haven't done anything too crazy (haven't been tasered as far as I remember). I did inscribe our wedding date and names on the TFC Fan Wall as a wedding gift to my husband. We also had a Toronto-themed wedding, and the TFC was definitely part of that. Guests signed a TFC ball, and one of the tables was named BMO Field.
Name: Bobbi Guy
Profession: DJ/promoter
Neighbourhood: Little Italy
What drew you to become a fan of TFC? I was brought up in a football family. My uncle Tommy Docherty was manager of Manchester United, Chelsea and Scotland amongst others. Some of my cousins played for Wolves and Man. City, but I never reached the pro stage. I became a fan as soon as I heard the rumour of a club starting here.
Name: Tom Drilios
Profession: customer service representative
Neighbourhood: Greektown
What is the craziest thing you have done in the name of TFC? A month ago, I attended the open practice for Real Madrid. I wanted to get a look at this star-studded team. Well, I lasted all of five minutes. I fell over the leg of a barricade and got a bloody nose for my troubles. I guess you could say I spilled a little blood for the team. The nose is fine now. But that is the length I will go to for Toronto FC. And I have left my own mark on BMO Field.

nobodybeatsthewiz
09-29-2009, 04:26 PM
this is an outrage, the worst travesty in media history.....the one and only 'parkdale' wasnt the first fan interviewed? bah!

Parkdale
09-29-2009, 04:42 PM
this is an outrage, the worst travesty in media history.....the one and only 'parkdale' wasnt the first fan interviewed? bah!

no... but your hipster hero from the Mod Club was :D

Brooker
09-29-2009, 04:45 PM
wheres the part about slowly pricing these "crazy fans" out?

i couldn't help but type that.

Parkdale
09-29-2009, 04:48 PM
so now we have

a) talk about pricing out our supporters
b) mlsintoronto lurking
c) someone making fun of Parkdale.
d) garcia taunting (thanks for the late entry)

THREAD SUCCESS :D:D:D:D

Brooker
09-29-2009, 04:49 PM
wait wait....

http://web.mlsnet.com/images/2009/07/09/Uy8DVVEA.jpghttp://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/sports/photos/2009/09/04/garcia-nick-cp090725.jpg
http://web.mlsnet.com/images/2009/07/09/Uy8DVVEA.jpg

Parkdale
seriously though, there are things I don't like about the article, but the big picture issue makes me very, very happy - professional football CAN be a success in North America (provided they cater to the culture of the sport)

that's one good thing I'll take from this article. cheers for that!

billyfly
I thought this was a football club? Its a brand?

shaggingscot
09-29-2009, 05:05 PM
seriously though, there are things I don't like about the article, but the big picture issue makes me very, very happy - professional football CAN be a success in North America (provided they cater to the culture of the sport)

that's one good thing I'll take from this article. cheers for that!

It can only be a success if MLSE remember what drives their so called brand and that's the working class. If they think they can hike prices every year and get renewals like they do for the Leafs they'll be in for a shock. At some point they'll kill the goose.

Blizzard
09-29-2009, 05:10 PM

Manchester United isn't a brand?

Real Madrid isn't a brand?

AC Milan isn't a brand?

Of course they are. They, like us, are both a football club and a brand!

Parkdale
09-29-2009, 05:11 PM

AC Milan isn't a brand?

haha... you took the bait. You know better than that! :D

Pigfynn
09-29-2009, 05:18 PM
Well the club may be a brand to some that choose to view it that way.

It's all about perspective I suppose...but I don't sing for a brand and I hope I never feel like that is what this is all about.

I understand the reality, but it's just not my reality.

trane
09-29-2009, 05:26 PM

AC Milan isn't a brand?

The differnce is those teams became a brand through winning first, marketing later.

Blizzard
09-29-2009, 05:33 PM
The differnce is those teams became a brand through winning first, marketing later.

That really doesn't matter. That was then, this is now.

905shmick
09-29-2009, 05:51 PM

It's the Toronto Football Franchise.

The only club is the one MLSE uses to beat the money out of us.

canadian_bhoy
09-29-2009, 06:41 PM
It is difficult to comment on this without coming across as a whiner, but I honestly believe that TFC is still riding the wave of the first year success. Kudos to them on the award though.

At least we won something! :p

gtaguy
09-29-2009, 06:54 PM
I hate to break balls but i do believe that this clubs success in the stands is all due becuase we as a collective took this team and made it ours.. Did the mlse tell us to make Tifos did this club tell us when to yell or chant.. did this club give us any incentive to go out to the community to talk about our newest sports franchise . did the club ever ask us for our opinions of what would make it a success ... NOOOOOO....
WE the fans made this happen and its here and will continue to be becuase together we made this work .... The signs were in the wall for footy fans in toronto .. Mlse paid the cash to bring in the club.. he city and the government helped but we ourselves brought the ppl and the passion to the stadium.. Lets never forget that its us that made this a successful franchise becuase of the numbers .. Now lets hope that in the years to come they can put something successful on the field to reflect the passion we have shown in the stands.

Chevy
09-29-2009, 07:02 PM
Here's the 2009 Global Brand rankings. I was surprised at how high NOKIA is.

(No, TFC is not on the list)

http://www.interbrand.com/best_global_brands.aspx

billyfly
09-29-2009, 07:03 PM

AC Milan isn't a brand?

My post was more of a rhetorical question but you do bring up a good point.

I also agree with Trane's comments.

Chevy
09-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Would this count as another trophy?

Keystone FC
09-29-2009, 07:11 PM
I hate to break balls but i do believe that this clubs success in the stands is all due becuase we as a collective took this team and made it ours.. Did the mlse tell us to make Tifos did this club tell us when to yell or chant.. did this club give us any incentive to go out to the community to talk about our newest sports franchise . did the club ever ask us for our opinions of what would make it a success ... NOOOOOO....
WE the fans made this happen and its here and will continue to be becuase together we made this work .... The signs were in the wall for footy fans in toronto .. Mlse paid the cash to bring in the club.. he city and the government helped but we ourselves brought the ppl and the passion to the stadium.. Lets never forget that its us that made this a successful franchise becuase of the numbers .. Now lets hope that in the years to come they can put something successful on the field to reflect the passion we have shown in the stands.

This is all very true BUT MLSE could have gone with Inter Toronto instead of TFC. Like paul said in the article, they listened to the fans for decisions like that.
They put something out there and we ran with it. We could have said, 'No, I'll stay home and watch the Big Clubs on the tele.' but we didn't because of what was placed before us and what we were allowed to do and how it was presented to us.
It's a collective effort that we can all be proud of.
:scarf::flare::scarf:

billyfly
09-29-2009, 07:14 PM
Would this count as another trophy?

Well done sir!

Oldtimer
09-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Thanks for finding this Parky, it's really interesting.

Roogsy
09-29-2009, 07:29 PM
It is difficult to comment on this without coming across as a whiner, but I honestly believe that TFC is still riding the wave of the first year success. Kudos to them on the award though.

At least we won something! :p

Agreed. Everything I read in the article is really success from the first season for which they deserved and got plenty of kudos and congratulations. However, indications since then seem to be leading us away from the original direction the team took. Let's hope this year is simply an aberration but let's just say I am not holding my breath.

billyfly
09-29-2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks for finding this Parky, it's really interesting.

Don't give Mike too many kudos as he only posted it to show his outrage that he's not mentioned. Bugger. (see Nobodybeatsthewiz post)

Hitcho
09-29-2009, 07:36 PM
The bottom lineis there has to be a marriage here: if we want TFC to be a success on the pitch then it really needs to be a success off the pitch too. That's just how it goes. No brand, no money, no team.

So as long as everyone keeps doing their part, the holy circle will remain intact and all will be well. We keep supporting the team, MLSE keeps making money through the brand (although not too much money or stage 1 disappears) and the team is well backed by its fans and owners and therefore has a platform to do well. So the fans keep supporting the team, and the circle is complete.

The problems come when any part of the circle breaks rank.

gtaguy
09-29-2009, 07:46 PM
This is all very true BUT MLSE could have gone with Inter Toronto instead of TFC. Like paul said in the article, they listened to the fans for decisions like that.
They put something out there and we ran with it. We could have said, 'No, I'll stay home and watch the Big Clubs on the tele.' but we didn't because of what was placed before us and what we were allowed to do and how it was presented to us.
It's a collective effort that we can all be proud of.
:scarf::flare::scarf:

true keystone.. I won't deny that they did try to enamour the wanting footy fan in toronto but they whole reason this worked was because we came out in droves to back this club up . no matter what marketing scheme they evolved.. Even Mlse stated that they were shocked at the numbers that they got for seasons tix ordered on the initial offering. Im glad for the big companies that rode our coatails however i will break it down .. WE made this club and not any marketing arm of the mls..

[NBF]
10-01-2009, 05:03 AM
If Toronto FC are a brand does that mean we have to get tattoos?

http://www.rankmytattoos.com/f/wmimages/soccer-tattoo-121425231921212.jpg

maninb
10-01-2009, 07:59 AM
It can only be a success if MLSE remember what drives their so called brand and that's the working class. If they think they can hike prices every year and get renewals like they do for the Leafs they'll be in for a shock. At some point they'll kill the goose.

Agreed...if they start catering to the suits & Bay St...the team is finished...When they allow large franchises like Jack Astors to 'kidnap' slogans like 'Jack Astors - TFC Headquarters', they ain't doing themselves any favours...

Parkdale
10-01-2009, 08:24 AM
and now it's linked from the main site.

It's a pretty cool achievement for them, but like the article says "Winning is what matters".

Dunc
10-01-2009, 10:01 AM
That is interesting that we lead the jersey sales and not LAG. Anyone able to find any numbers about it?

I'm not surprised, really. Even the amount of TFC tops I see in London is huge, let alone Toronto.

gtaguy
10-01-2009, 10:20 AM
Pauls quote from torontofc.ca article

Perhaps the biggest reason for the award was Strategy described as the "authentic fan experience" at BMO Field, showing how Toronto FC has been able to tap into the city's inborn passion of international soccer by providing them with a high-caliber team of their own to root for in person. Beirne said that while the organization worked hard to attract Toronto's soccer lovers, the real credit for the "authenticity" goes to the fans themselves.
"The difference is we don't create the atmosphere, we create a fertile ground for the atmosphere. It's our supporters who create the atmosphere," Beirne said. "We empower them, enable them, but we don't script what they do and we generally try and let them be themselves. We also don't try and restrict what they do, within reason. end quote..
"We really haven't won anything yet, so success off the field is certainly heartwarming," Beirne said. "But the big goal is still winning championships."

Kudos to paul for acknowledging that much of the success was becuase of us the fans ..... My earlier comment reflect exactly this... WTG Paul.... TFC Forever..:scarf::drum::scarf:

pdelgadinho
10-01-2009, 10:24 AM
Agreed...if they start catering to the suits & Bay St...the team is finished...When they allow large franchises like Jack Astors to 'kidnap' slogans like 'Jack Astors - TFC Headquarters', they ain't doing themselves any favours...

This is debatable. It's naiive to think that the popularity would die if the supporters groups weren't there. Don't get me wrong, I don't think there is any question that the teams original popularity was a direct result of the supporters groups. I still remember the comments from people about how they had to get to a game to see for themselves how crazy the supporters are.

But now that season tickets are sold out and there is a huge waiting list, I think what is keeping the team popular has shifted from being because of the atmosphere brought on by the supporters groups to being because of the demand and scarcity of tickets.

We're the "hot" ticket because you can't walk up to the box office on game day and buy one. There are so many non traditional soccer fans and corporations dieing to get their hands on a ticket now that you could probably kick out the supporters groups and ticket demand would not drop. And by kick out I mean keep raising ticket prices that eventually prices out a majority of the "real" supporters. Sure the atmosphere at games would be like a Leafs game, but why would that bother all of the people who are there because it's "cool" to be there.

I'm one of the fans that is there because I'm a soccer fan and I enjoy the atmosphere so hopefully I'm wrong. Especially since if this goes the way of the Leafs and ticket prices keep going up and a majority of the seats are filled with suits, then there is no turning back, and no way to ever bring back the atmosphere that we all love.

jabbronies
10-01-2009, 10:29 AM

I could really care less about this to be honest. Things like this are not targeted towards the supporters, it's more for the families and casuals.

Parkdale
10-01-2009, 02:02 PM
It's naiive to think that the popularity would die if the supporters groups weren't there.

If organized support stopped, BMO field would turn into a rather boring place.
It would be up to the team to create a buzz, and that only happens by wining,
which is something we'd all like to see, but aren't expecting to see consistently for some time.

DichioTFC
10-02-2009, 04:45 PM
and how many seasons until ML$E's focus turns from "fan passion" to profit margin?

the over/under is 2.5

rocker
10-02-2009, 04:53 PM
If organized support stopped, BMO field would turn into a rather boring place..

What's the connection between organized support and ticket prices though?

Are real supporters all poor? That's a big question.

I know a guy who stands front row in 113 and he's there for the atmosphere. And that guy could afford $2000/year season's easily if he had to.
Not everyone who stands and chants is going to get priced out by increases.

Similarly, there are people all around the stadium paying for higher priced seats who want to get into the south end, not cuz they are struggling to pay, but because they want to be where the action is.

Macksam
10-04-2009, 01:16 PM
This is debatable. It's naiive to think that the popularity would die if the supporters groups weren't there. Don't get me wrong, I don't think there is any question that the teams original popularity was a direct result of the supporters groups. I still remember the comments from people about how they had to get to a game to see for themselves how crazy the supporters are.

But now that season tickets are sold out and there is a huge waiting list, I think what is keeping the team popular has shifted from being because of the atmosphere brought on by the supporters groups to being because of the demand and scarcity of tickets.

We're the "hot" ticket because you can't walk up to the box office on game day and buy one. There are so many non traditional soccer fans and corporations dieing to get their hands on a ticket now that you could probably kick out the supporters groups and ticket demand would not drop. And by kick out I mean keep raising ticket prices that eventually prices out a majority of the "real" supporters. Sure the atmosphere at games would be like a Leafs game, but why would that bother all of the people who are there because it's "cool" to be there.

I'm one of the fans that is there because I'm a soccer fan and I enjoy the atmosphere so hopefully I'm wrong. Especially since if this goes the way of the Leafs and ticket prices keep going up and a majority of the seats are filled with suits, then there is no turning back, and no way to ever bring back the atmosphere that we all love.
Stadium expansion will occur before any of that happens. MLSE aren't stupid. They know alot of the success has been down to the atmosphere.