PDA

View Full Version : Lenarduzzi's master plan for 2011

Oldtimer
09-29-2009, 03:06 PM
Like the Sounders, the Whitecaps intend to build their MLS roster from the existing USL squad.

“We’re running parallel paths,” said Lenarduzzi. “We won’t be focusing solely on MLS till we conclude next year’s USL-1 season, but the idea would be to try to have as many players from that USL roster make up our MLS roster for the start of 2011. We can use Seattle as a pretty good example. They have six players that were carry-overs from their USL-1 team that are still on their MLS roster. Ideally we’d like to at least have that number and hopefully more, and that will depend on our recruiting for next year, which will start as soon as we’re done with this USL season and we’re currently in the playoffs.”

“As far as where the players will come from, we’re scouting in other parts of the world,” said Lenarduzzi. “If you look at the success of Seattle, a lot of theirs’ has been a result of the imports they’ve brought in, they’ve all done well for them - Montero, Hurtado, Osvaldo Alonso was a USL1 player last year, he came from Cuba. They won the Open Cup, which was great to do in their first year and that brings with it qualification for Champions League next year, which is great from a playing perspective and they’re getting crowds in excess of 30,000.”

http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/ussoccerplayers/2009/09/lenardruzzi-at-work-in-vancouver.html

So his plan, like Seattle's, is to bring in quality players before they have to follow MLS roster restrictions.

A good article, which covers the broader strategy of bringing a USL club into MLS.

S_D
09-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Sure why not.

As far as I know USL doesn't have any restrictions on buying players whereas the MLS does. Pay for them now and any transfer fees won't have to go against the cap.

nimamalek
09-29-2009, 04:27 PM
I hope they do well, as long as we do better :)

billyfly
09-29-2009, 04:56 PM
I am sure his plan includes beating Toronto as much as possible.

Dirk Diggler
09-29-2009, 05:56 PM
I cringe whenever I hear or read the word "master plan".

billyfly
09-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Who remembers this one?
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PPfuDCbhu3c&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PPfuDCbhu3c&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I also tried to find "Paid in full" by Eric B & Rakim but embedded is disabled.

Shway
09-29-2009, 09:00 PM
I am sure his plan includes beating Toronto as much as possible.

the rate this organization is going at, everyone's plan is better than ours, we better pray they're never is a regelation system.

:rolleyes:

Cashcleaner
09-29-2009, 10:56 PM
Vancouver is building up just like they should be. They are going to be much tougher in the Voyageurs Cup in 2010 then ever before. No much else to say - The Whitecaps seem to have a good game plan in the works.

Gazza_55
09-30-2009, 08:10 AM
the rate this organization is going at, everyone's plan is better than ours, we better pray they're never is a regelation system.

:rolleyes:

Agree 100%

Shway
09-30-2009, 09:33 AM
Vancouver is building up just like they should be. They are going to be much tougher in the Voyageurs Cup in 2010 then ever before. No much else to say - The Whitecaps seem to have a good game plan in the works.

its a smart game plan, its kind of an advantage.

they get to bring in whoever they want right now before restrictions.
and i dont know if they will have expansion draft, but they will get to pick solid players, if thats the case.

Vancouver and Portland arent going to be pushovers, just like Seattle.
We will see the difference between USL to MLS from just a straight new team (i.e. Philadelphia Union)

Darlofletch
09-30-2009, 09:40 AM
“If you look at the success of Seattle, a lot of theirs’ has been a result of the imports they’ve brought in, they’ve all done well for them - Montero, Hurtado, Osvaldo Alonso..."

Montero? Hurtado? Osvaldo Alonso? None of those players sound British . This Lenarduzzi bloke obviously doesn't have a clue about building a successful expansion side.

Shway
09-30-2009, 10:20 AM
^^for a second i was like what the eff is this guy talking about lol....
but then i caught it ...

however,

YOU ARE 100% RIGHT :smile:

Macksam
09-30-2009, 10:46 AM
^^for a second i was like what the eff is this guy talking about lol....
but then i caught it ...

however,

YOU ARE 100% RIGHT :smile:
Same.:cool:

Hitcho
09-30-2009, 12:06 PM
“If you look at the success of Seattle, a lot of theirs’ has been a result of the imports they’ve brought in, they’ve all done well for them - Montero, Hurtado, Osvaldo Alonso..."

Montero? Hurtado? Osvaldo Alonso? None of those players sound British . This Lenarduzzi bloke obviously doesn't have a clue about building a successful expansion side.

Haha - you sarcastic bar steward Dunc! Very funny though.

PS - bet I am the only person on these boards that recognises the pub in your avatar...

Darlofletch
09-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Haha - you sarcastic bar steward Dunc! Very funny though.

PS - bet I am the only person on these boards that recognises the pub in your avatar...

You probably are yes. There might well be someone among the british ex pats who's been there, but i doubt anyone would actually recognise it. Feeling nostalgic though, so when i went to google images trying to find a good picture of Jason de Vos in his darlington days, and failed, I went for that instead.