PDA

View Full Version : Champions League Draw

Canary Canuck
06-09-2008, 03:10 PM
The CONCACAF Champions League draw is this Wednesday. I'm already safely assuming we'll qualify but who do you wanna see in our preliminary round tie. Or better yet who do you NOT want to see...

werewolf
06-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Pumas is a team to avoid. Maybe we can get a match against Puerto Rico, Velez would be torn.

Canary Canuck
06-09-2008, 03:16 PM
I thought I remembered reading in another Champions League thread that we're one of the seeded teams for the preliminary round and therefore wouldn't have to face one of the big boys i.e. Pumas, Cruz Azul, Alajualense or any of the other MLS teams.

werewolf
06-09-2008, 03:23 PM
that could be the case, I haven't read as much as I would have liked on the tourney. I think we can beat one of the island teams in a first round game.

Oldtimer
06-09-2008, 03:34 PM
I thought I remembered reading in another Champions League thread that we're one of the seeded teams for the preliminary round and therefore wouldn't have to face one of the big boys i.e. Pumas, Cruz Azul, Alajualense or any of the other MLS teams.

Only 2 of the MLS teams are seeded to the group round (Houston and DC), the other 2 (NER and Chivas) play in the preliminary round.

Canary Canuck
06-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Only 2 of the MLS teams are seeded to the group round (Houston and DC), the other 2 (NER and Chivas) play in the preliminary round. Yup, knew that already. Just didn't feel like looking up which 2 teams were the ones in the prelim

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-09-2008, 04:07 PM
I’ve read in the BS CCL thread that the qualifying teams are being put into two pots (A&B). The MLS teams, the Mexican teams, the Costa Rican team, and the Honduran team cannot be drawn against each other. Here’s the quote from the thread:

Something to mention from the Canadian Championship match between the Montreal Impact and Toronto FC on May 27. During the Broadcast it was stated that for the preliminary round draw, the 16 teams will be places into two pots for the draw.

Pot A: Mexico3, MExico4, USA3, USA4, Canada, Honduras2, Costa rica2, Panama1

Pot B: Guatamala2, El Salvador 2, Panama 2, Belize, Nicaragua, CFU 1, 2, 3,

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=698614&page=3 (http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=698614&page=3)

With Pot A being drawn against Pot B, the toughest opposition we can face are probably the Guatemalan or El Salvadorian sides.

Here’s the teams already qualified:

United States
Houston Dynamo*
DC United*
New England Revolution
Chivas USA

Mexico
Atlante FC*
UNAM Pumas
Santos Leguna
Cruz Azul

Costa Rica
Deportivo Saprissa
LD Alajuelense

El Salvador
CD Luis Angel Firpo
CD FAS

Guatemala
CD Jalapa
CSD Municipal

Honduras
CD Olimpia
CD Marathon

Panama
San Francisco FC
Tauro FC

Belize
Hankook Verdes

Canada
TBD - Winner of Nutrilite Canadian Championship

Nicaragua
TBD - Winner of playoff between Apertura and Clausura champions

Caribbeans
Harbour View FCJoe Public FC
Puerto Rico Islanders

BeachRed
06-09-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm already safely assuming we'll qualify ...

Why, do we get to play all the qualifying games at home?

Mojo
06-09-2008, 04:14 PM
No, but we've already won 1 game away from home, 3 of 4 wins will/should be good enough.

james
06-09-2008, 07:44 PM
Why, do we get to play all the qualifying games at home?

ya cause we all know we dont do well on the road......i think he is confident we will qualify is because we happened to win are fist game vs Montreal in Montreal. But really will still gotta beat Vancouver away, and tho we are very tough to beat at home.....you never know!

james
06-09-2008, 07:47 PM
i think the easiets teams to play against would be teams from Belize, Panama and Nicaragua and the toughest comming from Mexico, USA and Honduaras.

Billy the kid
06-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Road trip to the Carribean.

MrHawk
06-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Mexico it is :)

Canary Canuck
06-09-2008, 08:51 PM
I think a few people already mentioned that getting Atlante of Cancun in the group stage would be the best road trip ever!

BeachRed
06-09-2008, 08:56 PM
The two Costa Rican teams would be tough, but a great road trip.

Canary Canuck
06-09-2008, 09:02 PM
The two Costa Rican teams would be tough, but a great road trip.

Agreed. I'd say Saprissa would be quite the experience. That place is a cauldron and a half! I'm just psyched for this tournament