PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Brits Abroad

nimamalek
09-28-2009, 09:09 AM
not sure if this is posted anywhere, took the link from the footy blog

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/top10s/2656464/Top-10-Brits-abroad.html?OTC-RSS&ATTR=Top+10s

billyfly
09-28-2009, 09:10 AM
English Rachel

prizby
09-28-2009, 04:49 PM
Ex-QPR and Preston ace Danny Dichio is a cult hero across the Atlantic at Canadian minnows Toronto FC.
Dichio, 35, banged in the club's first EVER goal back in 2007. Since then the locals have adopted him as one their own.
Barmy fans sing a Dichio ditty after 24 minutes of every home game — celebrating the time when he broke the club's scoring duck.
Earlier this month, the London-born star called time on his career and hung up his boots.
But the MLS outfit could not bear to let the legend go — and have since appointed him as a club ambassador.

or is it that the club couldn't bear the outcry from the fans?

Huginho
09-29-2009, 08:01 AM
or is it that the club couldn't bear the outcry from the fans?

No I don't buy that whole fan outcry notion as the reason Dichio was kept around. MLSE know's what there doing in that aspect considering that Have Wendal Clark for the Leafs and Junkyard Dog for the Raptors as team ambassadors.

Hitcho
09-29-2009, 08:13 AM
Yeah in fairness I think Danny has more than earned his mbassadorial role and given his ability and experience I think he has a lot to offer as a striker coach as well.

Still, MLSE are smart and whilst I don't think they were worried about an outcry, they did probably see the Dichio coach/ambassador role as a smart move in terms of keeping the fans happy and their wallets open, at least to some extent.

English Rachel
09-29-2009, 08:44 AM
English Rachel

Awww <3 lol

Hitcho
09-29-2009, 09:58 AM
Awww <3 lol

Oh cut it out - you're English Rachel, not Rachel the Brit... :D

FluSH
09-29-2009, 10:10 AM
DICHIO TFC BOSS

one day...

Hitcho
09-29-2009, 10:19 AM
^ yeah but not for a while. my worry with that is if he flops he'll be gone from the club for good. i'd rather see him stay on in his new role for a good while yet, and only towards the end of his coaching spell take over the top job, having been groomed for it as an academy coach, striker coach, first team coach and then assistant head coach. Give him the best shot possible and set him on a full road to head coach status, not a quick fire short cut to failure and ignominy.