PDA

View Full Version : [SPECULATION]Jim Brennan Retirement

ballerz
09-26-2009, 10:38 PM
Did anyone else caught Craig Forrest speculating on Brennan's retirement in the 2nd half of the broadcast? That is something that seems out of the blue for me. The two are friends, so was that comment just another Forrest-esque stupidity moment, or was it a slip of insider information?

Personally, I hope there is some truth in this so Mo will have an easier time stripping his captaincy and firing his ass.

Smuttynose
09-26-2009, 10:42 PM
i didn't get to watch the game, what did he say?

ballerz
09-26-2009, 10:51 PM
He speculated on Brennan's retirement for no apparent reason.

twistedchinaman
09-26-2009, 10:59 PM
Perhaps it's time, but I'm sure Jimmy B was TOTALLY wanting Craig Forrest telling us something that may or may not be true. :eyeroll:

wzhxvy
09-26-2009, 11:00 PM
He would not have said it, if its a pure fabrication....he has no reason to get into creating rumours

Macksam
09-26-2009, 11:01 PM
He speculated on Brennan's retirement for no apparent reason.
Well, they were talking about Mcbride's possible retirement which led into the very short remark about Jimmy B possibly retiring as well. It wasn't out of the blue.

THA BUTCHA
09-26-2009, 11:03 PM
I don't want him to retire..

I want him to striped of his captaincy and released due to incompetence.
then Tarred and Feathered.

After all that, then he can Retire....

Bars92
09-26-2009, 11:05 PM
^Your an idiot. Jimmy's time is coming but you obviously know nothing about this team or football.

WHITEY
09-26-2009, 11:08 PM
I don't want him to retire..

I want him to striped of his captaincy and released due to incompetence.
then Tarred and Feathered.

After all that, then he can Retire....

What the hell would all that accomplish?

Stryker
09-26-2009, 11:22 PM
Jimmy's one of those guys that you don't want to dislike because of his personality but his play often leaves you no choice. Factor in his substancal salary and I can't help but hope he does retire.
I honestly think at this point that if you took the starting LB's from every team in the league and rated them, Jimmy would be in the lower half.

Ageroo
09-26-2009, 11:38 PM
Thread title modified...as this was speculation during the broadcast...

Toronto_Bhoy
09-26-2009, 11:41 PM
The entire back line look like they had retired tonight...

andyc
He was our first player.

He is our captain.

He's played through a whole bunch of injuries.

He's played out of position for almost all of our games.

I agree that he's not the player he was but he certainly deserves our respect.

shaggingscot
Jimmy's one of those guys that you don't want to dislike because of his personality but his play often leaves you no choice. Factor in his substancal salary and I can't help but hope he does retire.
I honestly think at this point that if you took the starting LB's from every team in the league and rated them, Jimmy would be in the lower half.

and that's because he's not a left back, you'd think at some point one of the masterminds down at BMO would have realised that and moved him out to the wing!

OneLoveOneEric
09-26-2009, 11:42 PM
'bout time.

Stryker
09-26-2009, 11:54 PM
and that's because he's not a left back, you'd think at some point one of the masterminds down at BMO would have realised that and moved him out to the wing!

Would you really rate him much higher as a left mid?
He can put in the odd nice cross but his movement and ability to maintain posession when a defender squares up to him is piss poor.
Sound like another player we dumped earlier in the season?

Jeff s
09-26-2009, 11:55 PM
I honestly dont see why everyone disses Jimmy.

Not saying hes the best, but he does a fine job. What I feel is the problem is that neither Cronin or Robinson support him. I dont wanna say how many times Ive seen Brennan having forced to defend 2-3 players at once simply because the midfield is so dam lazy. And than if he gets beat for that, people just go ahead and blame him. Well what do you want? I've never seen a full back having to mark so many players at once before. And this happens to him in every game.

IF he is going to retire, this guy deserves respect from the fans.

jloome
09-26-2009, 11:59 PM
He's a weak left back and a decent left mid. His marking at the back is poor, he challenges late and he gets absent minded and doesn't track back sometimes. But he's always been effective for this team when we've played him at left mid.

I wonder why we even signed Fellinga if it wasn't to get Jimmy time upfield.

shaggingscot
09-27-2009, 12:00 AM
Would you really rate him much higher as a left mid?
He can put in the odd nice cross but his movement and ability to maintain posession when a defender squares up to him is piss poor.
Sound like another player we dumped earlier in the season?

Sure I would, we've never had a natural left sided player to speak of. It's bothered me to no end why they haven't fucking tried him out there. His strength isn't defending, it's going forward and crossing the ball. It's too bad really because I think we could have seen more out of Jimmy if they'd have gone out and got a proper left back to begin with.

Sonny Cheeba
09-27-2009, 12:19 AM
Did anyone else caught Craig Forrest speculating on Brennan's retirement in the 2nd half of the broadcast? That is something that seems out of the blue for me. The two are friends, so was that comment just another Forrest-esque stupidity moment, or was it a slip of insider information?

Personally, I hope there is some truth in this so Mo will have an easier time stripping his captaincy and firing his ass.

i'm more surprised that craig forrest has friends!

Shakes McQueen
09-27-2009, 12:46 AM
He's a weak left back and a decent left mid. His marking at the back is poor, he challenges late and he gets absent minded and doesn't track back sometimes. But he's always been effective for this team when we've played him at left mid.

I wonder why we even signed Fellinga if it wasn't to get Jimmy time upfield.

Probably to work him in as a replacement for Jimmy B, if Jimmy B is leaving. I never really thought it was to move Brennan forward - it just seemed like a simple case of bringing in a younger player, to phase out an old one.

And with that said, I've been surprised with how little action Fellinga has seen.

- Scott

Shway
09-27-2009, 12:48 AM
We all love "Captain Jimmy Brennan"
But I personally dont love LONG BALL JIM....
if he does retire, we hail and respect for what he's done,
however i do think his time is if not done, then near

Sonny Cheeba
09-27-2009, 12:50 AM
TFC is a longball team. we don't have a back line that works with the mids properly, therefore it's huck the ball the fuck forward until the other team gets a hold of it, or we score.

i wouldn't blame the longballs on Jimmy, though he is bad for it, the whole team is guilty for poor passing.

we're a longball team and that's it. the ball comes towards us, and we either kick it to the lone forward or back to frei for a frantic clearance.

it shouldn't be this way, but we're just not good enough to pass the ball forward the way arsenal would.

Shakes McQueen
09-27-2009, 12:56 AM
TFC is a longball team. we don't have a back line that works with the mids properly, therefore it's huck the ball the fuck forward until the other team gets a hold of it, or we score.

i wouldn't blame the longballs on Jimmy, though he is bad for it, the whole team is guilty for poor passing.

we're a longball team and that's it. the ball comes towards us, and we either kick it to the lone forward or back to frei for a frantic clearance.

it shouldn't be this way, but we're just not good enough to pass the ball forward the way arsenal would.

This is why I think the JDG signing was huge. He could usher in a better passing TFC.

I think our other huge problem, is not enough movement. Guys don't seem to understand that you can't break down a defense, if you're just stnading still and waiting for the ball.

- Scott

Keegan
09-27-2009, 01:01 AM
Just 2 seasons ago he was player of the year....

Sonny Cheeba
09-27-2009, 01:02 AM
JDG is a step forward, but if he's totally relied upon to get the passing going i don't see it necessarily working.

he's got great passes, but it's the rest of the team that will let him down, and i think that his frustrations will definitely come out. quite like when he's playing for canada.

as for movement. that's bang on. you look at good teams and they move for the ball.... standing and waiting for the ball to move first doesn't work and is elementary tactics. very very very painful to watch when you're trying to take the league seriously.

VPjr
09-27-2009, 01:03 AM
Jim has lost a step. his play this season has dropped off significantly. he's not really the team's leader (that is Robinson and also WAS Dichio). He'll never be an adequate left back (Nana is consistently cleaning up his errors, as are the holding mids)

If he retires, it will be a blessing to the team that are, for some reason, loathe to send him packing the way they sent Danny D packing.

Shakes McQueen
09-27-2009, 01:04 AM

Two seasons ago expectations were low, romanticism was high, and Brennan was playing better, on an overall weaker side.

- Scott

Razor
09-27-2009, 01:06 AM
I hope he does retire, he's looking old and slow. *shrugs*

Kevvv
09-27-2009, 02:29 AM
He'd be faster if he didn't hold his hand up to call fouls so much.

THA BUTCHA
09-27-2009, 02:35 AM
^Your an idiot. Jimmy's time is coming but you obviously know nothing about this team or football.

I may not know as much as you.

BUT.

I do know that JIM BRENNAN DOES NOT DESERVE TO BE CAPTAIN OF THIS TEAM.

THA BUTCHA
09-27-2009, 02:40 AM

LOL...

That was are first year..What an accomplishment Jimmy. :picard:

v00d00daddy
09-27-2009, 09:34 AM

And last year Robbo was player of the year and Wynne was off to Europe. :D

Just goes to show....people talk out of their asses way too much and fall in love with players way too easily.

I respect the work Brennan has done but I don't want to watch him hoof the ball up field when he's not under pressure.

I don't want to watch him run around the ball to put it on his left foot instead of controlling it with his right foot.

Retirement would be fine....as long as coaching is not in the future.

rocker
09-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Jimmy had major problems making simple passes last night (and in previous games this year).

And his curving crosses into the box are just not getting the job done.

He will be 33 shortly into next season. Not that many players start beyond 33 at all in this league unless they were giants when they were younger.
One thing I've noticed is players who were working men/journeymen in Europe or elsewhere in the prime of their careers don't last long into their 30s in MLS.. Guys who were awesome studs at age 27 do....

Marco2K
09-27-2009, 11:59 AM
He is a nice guy yes.

But not a good soccer player.

Good luck Jim.

Detroit_TFC
09-27-2009, 12:28 PM
I'm sure he knows that he's lost his form. The question is can he get it back and also, does he think he can get it back. If not, then best to get out. He's bound for the bench next year if he stays.

TFC07
09-27-2009, 12:43 PM
I hope this is true. :flare:

Broadview
09-27-2009, 03:16 PM
He was asked on the fan this week about when he would consider retiring and he didn't give any indication that it would be anytime soon. He did say he was done with the National Team.

He also said that when he did retire he would like to remain with TFC in some capacity. Maybe even as a coach.

rocker
09-27-2009, 03:19 PM
if we could find a good starting LB (Fellinga?) then I'd love to see Jimmy in a backup role in case of injuries. But I think next season we can't have a whole season of him in a starting role unless the other defensive positions are shored up big time. but with Wynne being just average and the CB position in shambles with injuries, Jimmy's play stands out even more.

Really, the only guy who contributes above average play game-in-game-out on defense (and who I feel comfortable and safe with) is Attakora. But the dropoff after him is pretty big.

RedsYNWA
09-27-2009, 04:17 PM
I can only think of 2 or 3 games that he made an impact over the past few years
thats not saying much..I think ever since he became a dad his play on the field went from 7/10 to 2/10

Still a good guy, but so was Pozniak and Dunivant

Oldtimer
09-27-2009, 04:47 PM
If you listened to the FAN590 interview with Jimmy a few days ago, you'd see that Jimmy himself says that he is considering what to do, he says he'll think about it in the off-season. He eventually wants to work for the club in some capacity (makes me think he's leaning towards management).

He himself knows he is no longer the player he once was. That doesn't deny the fact that he once was a very good player playing on a premiership team. Character-wise, he's still a great guy and worthy of respect. He's also the right choice for team captain (which doesn't relate to ability as much as it relates to off-the-pitch stuff). He is no longer as good a player as he was even last season. It happens to every player, they get older. Eventually they realize and retire, or they get shoved out the door.

ArmenJBX
09-27-2009, 04:51 PM
I think its a matter of when and not if at this point. He's done a lot for us, but we have to more forward. I think Robbo and Brennan should retire at this point.

Canadian Blue
09-27-2009, 08:45 PM
passionate TFC player but too damn slow........retirement would suit him well

Brooker
09-27-2009, 08:57 PM
in the eyes on TFC.... if Dichio can't hack it any more, there's no way in HELL Brennan should be here next year.

I love the guy but seriously.

Roogsy
09-27-2009, 09:10 PM
He'd be faster if he didn't hold his hand up to call fouls so much.

My single biggest criticism of defenders. Put your hands down and play. You're not influencing anyone and simply giving the offensive player and advantage. Play to the whistle dammit!

Damien
09-27-2009, 10:05 PM
No wonder he's selling/sold his condo

felipe
09-28-2009, 08:46 AM
really?

There's nothing wrong with Brennan. He plays hard and never takes a play off. (okay, except when he's waving his arms -wacky inflatable arm guy!)

I wish they all had his heart.

The guy plays hurt all of the time - and he's probably carrying assorted knocks now.

Remember this, without all the work Jim did prior to season one, there would be no TFC like it is now. They/we would be supported like the Lynx was/is.

He was player of the year, in year one.

He was held together with duct tape for much of year two, and played extremly well.

He hasn't been captain everything this year, but he surely hasn't been poor.

I wish you guys respected more what he's done for soccer in TO and for TFC, and not be so quick to throw him under the bus.

He's earned an off year (only an off year by his high standards mind you - not by an average MLS player comparison) and he deserves your support and praise.

You could say all these same things for Robbo too.

They've given it all for the club the last three years - sweat, blood, desire - if all our players showed their everyday commitment we'd have qualified for the playoffs a month ago - I'd say they've more than earned your loyalty and appreciation.

If they decide to retire, on their terms, because they're ready, I for one will miss them.

Until then, some of you need to show some respect.

loconet
09-28-2009, 09:53 AM
I was out of town Saturday and had the game recorded to watch on Sunday. I went to my local sobeys to grab some food before watching the game and who do I run into? Mr. Jimmy B. Forgetting that I had yet to watch the game, I go to say hi and have a quick chat.....He spoiled the score for me lol. :(

DangerRed
09-28-2009, 10:21 AM
I love Jimmy's personality and think he's one of the funniest players in the MLS. I love that he fucks with reporters. However, none of that helps our defence, our passing, our scoring or wins us games.

The Chicago game showed exactly how gassed these old battleaxes of ours can be well before the full 90 is up. I understand altitude, or long travel, but this was CHICAGO.

Guys like Garcia (he absolutely HAS TO GO at the end of the season or we're fucked next year as well), Jimmy, Robbo and even Serioux should be retired and replaced. This league runs a LOT, which Felinga pointed out when he arrived in Toronto. If you can't run or are too old for it, then go the fuck away.

This is the league of Gomez, Sanyang and especially Attakora. "Skill and experience" which guys like Garcia and Jimmy supposedly bring matter very little when you're having a heart attack from running around too much in the 65th minute.

trane
09-28-2009, 10:27 AM
My single biggest criticism of defenders. Put your hands down and play. You're not influencing anyone and simply giving the offensive player and advantage. Play to the whistle dammit!

Agreed. One of my biggest peeves, the play is on play until the whistle is blown. I have seen so many goal scored particullarly on offsides plays, were the defender(s) stops to look at the linesman to ask for an offsides, while the attacker keeps on running to get a free shot on net.

v00d00daddy
09-28-2009, 10:53 AM
really?

There's nothing wrong with Brennan. He plays hard and never takes a play off. (okay, except when he's waving his arms -wacky inflatable arm guy!)

I wish they all had his heart.

The guy plays hurt all of the time - and he's probably carrying assorted knocks now.

Remember this, without all the work Jim did prior to season one, there would be no TFC like it is now. They/we would be supported like the Lynx was/is.

He was player of the year, in year one.

He was held together with duct tape for much of year two, and played extremly well.

He hasn't been captain everything this year, but he surely hasn't been poor.

I wish you guys respected more what he's done for soccer in TO and for TFC, and not be so quick to throw him under the bus.

He's earned an off year (only an off year by his high standards mind you - not by an average MLS player comparison) and he deserves your support and praise.

You could say all these same things for Robbo too.

They've given it all for the club the last three years - sweat, blood, desire - if all our players showed their everyday commitment we'd have qualified for the playoffs a month ago - I'd say they've more than earned your loyalty and appreciation.

If they decide to retire, on their terms, because they're ready, I for one will miss them.

Until then, some of you need to show some respect.

I understand your side of things but while you're busy respecting him he (and Robbo) are busy bringing the skill level of this team down and, in turn, ruining our chances of making the playoffs or getting better for that matter.

Big Bruva
09-28-2009, 02:00 PM
Thread title modified...as this was speculation during the broadcast...

Its come out so i can talk on it a bit now lol

If you look at a few of my recent previous posts i have been saying 2-3 well known TFC players will not be here next year and for 2 if not all 3 its by thier choice.

Not really speculation to be honest its more going to happen than not.

Shaughno
09-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Its come out so i can talk on it a bit now lol

If you look at a few of my recent previous posts i have been saying 2-3 well known TFC players will not be here next year and for 2 if not all 3 its by thier choice.

Not really speculation to be honest its more going to happen than not.

That was pre-Dichio retirement right?

Dichio
Brennan
Robbo

;)

Fort York Redcoat
09-28-2009, 02:37 PM

BUT.

I assumed DD retired when he did so Jimmy could at a different time as early as end of season.

We've been talking about the captaincy passing hands all summer.:rolleyes: It's hardly the biggest problem for the team.

olegunnar
09-28-2009, 02:37 PM
That was pre-Dichio retirement right?

Dichio
Brennan
Robbo

;)

Dichio and Brennan did their coaching badges in Florida last off season
Robbo will be doing his in the UK this off season.

I think it's safe to say they all plan to retire (dichio's being fast forwarded) with Dichio and Brennan coaching here in Canada and Robbo coaching back home.

Shaughno
09-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Pretty much how I saw it as well...

Rudi
09-28-2009, 02:55 PM

BUT.

He also does not deserve to be disrespected in the manner which you proposed.