PDA

View Full Version : Seattle to increase capacity at Qwest

Dust2
09-24-2009, 02:57 AM
http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/sounders/story/889646.html

The club has begun planning for next season, and every indication is that demand for tickets will again exceed supply – even an increased supply.

“It’s going to be big,” Sounders general manager Adrian Hanauer said. “The one thing I can tell you is that through some initial season-ticket polling, a very, very large percentage have said that they’re almost certain to renew. Many of those have said that they want more tickets. And we have a very, very healthy waiting list right now.”

Those renewal numbers and that waiting list of more than 6,000 has the Sounders leaning toward an expanded Qwest Field seating configuration.

“We haven’t decided 100 percent,” Hanauer said. “But the area of highest consideration is the Hawks Nest. If we increase capacity, I would say that is currently the most likely direction.”

The Hawks Nest is the wedge-shaped section of 2,200 bench-type seats in the north end zone. This season, that area has been covered by a tarp advertising X-box 360 Live, the club’s jersey sponsor.Current capacity 32,500 + 3,000 Hawks Nest (the 2,200 listed is wrong) will mean capacity of 35,500.

SQUIRREL
09-24-2009, 05:59 AM
WOW, I still think we have the best fans, but that's impressive. The team is trying to capitalize on the the demand for tickets and it might work there, meaning I think they can definitely do 35,000 a game. WOW that's going to be one loud place. oh well, we'll still kick their ass any day.

Pookie
09-24-2009, 07:04 AM
WOW, I still think we have the best fans, but that's impressive. The team is trying to capitalize on the the demand for tickets and it might work there, meaning I think they can definitely do 35,000 a game. WOW that's going to be one loud place. oh well, we'll still kick their ass any day.

This is great news. Since the league is about revenue sharing, this just bolsters the health of the MLS.

It's too bad that NY, DC and NE didn't have the same following. Expanding Qwest is a no brainer since the seats are already there. No cost involved or at least minor cost in terms of security and concessions. The ROI on opening up a few extra seats should be quite high.

boban
09-24-2009, 08:01 AM
Like we did in April at home? :rolleyes:

SQUIRREL
09-24-2009, 09:15 AM
Like we did in April at home? :rolleyes:

I still think we're better then them, just inconsistent.

:flare::scarf:TORONTO TILL I DIE:scarf::flare:

Wagner
09-24-2009, 09:19 AM
it's awesome that they aren't using the "create fake scarcity" model that MLSE is famous for.

Bobo
09-24-2009, 09:25 AM

If there's reason to be loud...otherwise 3500 won't sound much different than KC's 8000.

BakaGaijin
09-24-2009, 09:29 AM
it's awesome that they aren't using the "create fake scarcity" model that MLSE is famous for.

Agreed. Where are the North end seats at BMO anyways?!?

Oh yeah..............throttle supply to create scarcity.

greatwhitenorf
09-25-2009, 02:11 AM
All you cynical barsturds can get all the seats you want in Denver. Big game there with San Jose visting those playoff-contending CRapids. All of 6,234 fans showed up. At least that's the number they're admitting to.

Pathetic. But what do you expect from fans of a team affiliated with ar5ena1? Shit support wherever you find them.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-25-2009, 04:45 AM
when they say we have a 13000 waiting list....how many of those are already current SSH's on the list???

35000 in seattle...thats truley amazing......honestly i dont think we could come close to doing that

a 5000 seats expanion would be pushing it in toronto!

IF the demand was really there...and this so called 13000 waiting list......MLSE would of expanded long ago.??

More empty seats this year.....and as the prices rise...its only gona get worst!??

TFC ticket prices are out of wack compared to other MLS CITIES! we are on par with most of the high profiled european clubs FFS!

Hope im wrong.....id love to see another 10 000 one day at BMO!....and a ROOF;)

Oldtimer
09-25-2009, 07:08 AM

They are. They could expand more, but aren't. They are just leaving the scarcity at a reasonable level (which will cut down on scalping).

Oldtimer
09-25-2009, 07:10 AM
when they say we have a 13000 waiting list....how many of those are already current SSH's on the list???

In Tom Anselmi's recent interview on the Fan 590, he said the number is now 17,000. He also said that's a "real number" because those 17K are buying tickets when they get a chance.

Wagner
09-25-2009, 07:42 AM
In Tom Anselmi's recent interview on the Fan 590, he said the number is now 17,000. He also said that's a "real number" because those 17K are buying tickets when they get a chance.

I would argue that most of these people are waiting for lower end tickets.

rocker
09-25-2009, 08:21 AM
I would argue that most of these people are waiting for lower end tickets.

what do you base this opinion on?

Broadview
09-25-2009, 09:54 AM

They have thirty thousand seats covered in tarps with pretty soccer designs on them. They pull it off for seahawk games. They've got an MLSE degree in creating scarcity.

Kaz
09-25-2009, 10:08 AM
First BMO is packed most of the time (lots of people meet in the beer garden leaving empty seats showing)

Second BMO could add 5k seats and still sell out, right now.

Third BMO hasn't been expanded by MLSE because MLSE dosen't own the fucking stadium.. why don't people understand that MLSE can't do what ever they want when ever they want. Toronto City Council has to approve any changes as the CITY not MLSE owns BMO.

Fourth it won't be expanded until it is clear that current attendance will continue. (though is the grass deal including seating where the bear garden is now? the stage has never really been used, save once in three years)

Lastly good for Seattle I hope they keep supporting it like this.. it's a big win for the sport and one more reason for people to try to get me to move there. ashame the colours are horrible. I'd have a hard time giving secondary support to the sounders just for the colours.

boban
09-25-2009, 11:11 AM
First BMO is packed most of the time (lots of people meet in the beer garden leaving empty seats showing)

Second BMO could add 5k seats and still sell out, right now.

Third BMO hasn't been expanded by MLSE because MLSE dosen't own the fucking stadium.. why don't people understand that MLSE can't do what ever they want when ever they want. Toronto City Council has to approve any changes as the CITY not MLSE owns BMO.
That's right. City council won't approve expansion of a facility, where the expansion would be paid for by a private entity that will increase revenue for the public. :rolleyes:

Kaz
09-25-2009, 01:37 PM
That's right. City council won't approve expansion of a facility, where the expansion would be paid for by a private entity that will increase revenue for the public. :rolleyes:

The point is that it needs to go through a multiple review process and the city would think about it's effect on use of the field during construction of said expansion.

With the addition of Grass and the switch to Lamport for winter play, then expansion becomes more probable, but again MLSE would wait to make sure there isn't a sudden drop of in attendance, at least I'm assuming everything I've read has suggested the city is all for it, so long as a continuing need is there.

But don't want to hijack.. so Sounders have ugly colours go seat expansion at Qwest

boban
09-25-2009, 04:50 PM
The point is that it needs to go through a multiple review process and the city would think about it's effect on use of the field during construction of said expansion.

With the addition of Grass and the switch to Lamport for winter play, then expansion becomes more probable, but again MLSE would wait to make sure there isn't a sudden drop of in attendance, at least I'm assuming everything I've read has suggested the city is all for it, so long as a continuing need is there.

But don't want to hijack.. so Sounders have ugly colours go seat expansion at Qwest
The type of field has no relevance to expansion happening or not.
The field is not being worked on. The stands are during expansion. As such there wouldn't be any interference. And if there was I am sure the city would forgo $10,000 in usage fee for a month for that much in more money off of expansion for 1 game.

Kaz
09-25-2009, 05:28 PM
The type of field has no relevance to expansion happening or not.
The field is not being worked on. The stands are during expansion. As such there wouldn't be any interference. And if there was I am sure the city would forgo $10,000 in usage fee for a month for that much in more money off of expansion for 1 game.

ok this thread has nothing to do with BMO expansion... I was merely commenting at someone that MLSE doesn't own the facilities and thus can't do what ever they want.. they have to get approval.. would that approval happen most likely.
with grass comes the removal or limiting the top two reasons to delay, tone down or prevent all together are removed. (public use, and concerts) and I'm done with the subject.

BakaGaijin
09-26-2009, 12:32 AM
what do you base this opinion on?

I have the same opinion......and I'll tell you what I base it on. I have been to every seat relocation event that has been held for season ticket holders. I have been on this forum for the better parts of the days that those relocation events take place. I can tell you for a fact that most people are either:

A) trying to move from their expensive seats to cheaper seats

or

B) trying to buy cheaper seats for their friends.

When I was at these events there were hundreds of expensive seats available and no one was buying them.

Here's the problem with expansion of BMO Feild: how does MLSE build more seats and not lose the revenue from the people who, are forced for the most part, to buy expensive seats?

If MLSE were to expand BMO field by adding seats to the North end for example, they couldn't charge much more than South end. If they were to add 3500 seats in the North end and they offered those to season ticket holders first.........there would be a mass exodus from the prawn seats to the North end. The reasons the prawnies leave would be for a combination of saving money and for anticipation of better atmosphere. Regardless, I doubt that the fabled waiting list would actually fill those extremely expensive prawn seats that were vacated by the exodus..........so MLSE could actually lose revenue by adding additional seating.

Remember when TFC tickets went on sale back in 2006? All the cheap areas sold out first. The more expensive tickets were selling much more slowly........then Beckham signed with LA and MLSE announced they were capping ticket sales and the remaining tickets sold out.

The prawn seats really have no extra value. The sightlines might be marginally better, but this is irrelevant to most consumers. Just take a look around at any home game. The only sections that are filled are the cheap sections. The expensive sections are empty. Those are the people who migrate to the North end. This means that sightlines of these seats has ZERO value for them. They want cheap and/or they want atmosphere.

Cashcleaner
09-26-2009, 02:12 AM

Agreed. It's a real shame that for as popular as TFC is in the city, BMO Field's north end remains a fucking beer garden.

I mean, I'll be fair and admit that nobody could have really gauged the club's popularity and I'm willing to give TFC the benefit of the doubt for holding out against expanding in the first three years, but surely now plans should have already be drawn up and on the the table to get bleachers up in the north end.

Kaz
09-26-2009, 11:03 AM
I have the same opinion......

The prawn seats really have no extra value. The sightlines might be marginally better, but this is irrelevant to most consumers. Just take a look around at any home game. The only sections that are filled are the cheap sections. The expensive sections are empty. Those are the people who migrate to the North end. This means that sightlines of these seats has ZERO value for them. They want cheap and/or they want atmosphere.

this statement is untrue

People go to the beer garden to be with friends much of the time and I know from sitting in cheap seats that they have a number of empty seats as well, in fact the august 15th game the lower west stands were pretty full but the east stands were missing people fairly noticeably in the same price range.

this suggests that price isn't the issue with the use of the beer garden. it is more likely that weather issues, or social desires are more at work then price.

there are other factors at work.

Pookie
09-27-2009, 07:04 AM
Here's the problem with expansion of BMO Feild: how does MLSE build more seats and not lose the revenue from the people who, are forced for the most part, to buy expensive seats?

You raise a good question.

If we go on the premise though that the stadium will be sold out regardless of where the new seats are, the question becomes moot. ie. anyone that moves over to a new north stand would leave an expensive seat and that expensive seat would be taken by someone on the Gold list. They would be forced to buy the expensive seat just like the person who held it before.

If you are concerned about the ability of an expanded stadium to actually sell out then your question is extremely valid. You could probably control the migration in a couple of ways.

Cap the number of seats available in the new section for the relocation. The "sell" here would be that they are keeping affordable tickets available for Gold listers and the general public.

They could also make owning an expensive seat something that has (perceived) value. I am NOT in favour of this but it could be done by offering a Personal Seat License allowing the owner to profit from any future transfer of rights. This would have the added advantage, from MLSE's standpoint, of fleecing the owner for more money to pay for the expansion.