PDA

View Full Version : Should TFC go Mostly Canadian In their Roster

mighty_torontofc_2008
09-23-2009, 06:50 PM
With the talk of trying to get More canucks signed, Should TFC try to be a full canadian team as league rules would allow or would you like to see a
more balanced player pool from the best possible players Mo could be in?

voted No only in the fact, that the National team with some of our best players in years cant win together, it would be a problem for TFC as well...keep a well balanced roster of players from where ever Mo can find them!!

jrey
09-23-2009, 07:19 PM
I think that he's trying to get more Canadian content, sure... but I doubt he's looking at an 'All-Canadian' team. Probably 6+5 in the starting lineup -- which I think is the respectable number that most European leagues have or will have soon (re: EPL).

Nonetheless, I'm still voting no.

prizby
09-23-2009, 07:44 PM
coundn't care who they had playing...sure i like to see canadians, but i rather see wins, no/minimal mistakes, and lots of goals!

Auzzy
09-23-2009, 07:52 PM
In the poll, why is "yes" written in lower case, and "NO" in all-caps... ;-)

SilverSamurai
09-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Sure why no?
If the players are good enough, ya.
Might be the only way we get to see the CMNT play some friendlies. lol

MUFC_Niagara
09-23-2009, 07:57 PM
I like to see a team of goats....wearing dresses.....drunk.

Carts
09-23-2009, 07:58 PM
I want to the see TFC field the BEST POSSIBLE TEAM they can...

That being said, some of them will be Canadian of course (given the MLS rules)...

I'd like to see TFC take chances on young Canadians - give them a shot they might not get with American clubs. But if they can't cut it, then they play elsewhere...

Carts...

canadian_bhoy
09-23-2009, 08:12 PM
I want to the see TFC field the BEST POSSIBLE TEAM they can...

That being said, some of them will be Canadian of course (given the MLS rules)...

I'd like to see TFC take chances on young Canadians - give them a shot they might not get with American clubs. But if they can't cut it, then they play elsewhere...

Carts...

agreed. TFC should = best 11 players possible.

CretanBull
09-23-2009, 09:06 PM
^ Agreed....I want the best possible team on the pitch, its a bonus if the player is Canadian, and as Carts said I think we should give young Canadians a chance but at the end of the day if they're not good enough then I don't want to pay to see them play.

Macksam
09-23-2009, 09:18 PM
Don't see the purpose of this poll that is full of bias like the way you have yes in lower case and no in upper case. I want to see the best possible team play. However, make no mistake Mighty. A full, healthy Canadian men's national team would take any MLS team to the cleaners. Anyhow, it doesn't really matter as TFC will probably have a majority young, Canadian line up in about 10 years time.

Red CB Toronto
09-23-2009, 09:43 PM
I want Mo to build the best possible team within the current MLS roster rules, I only want the Reds to have Canadians that deserve to be here on their own merit. Look at the first year, they were in a pinch to get their Canadian content and ended up signing guys just because they had the right citizenship ie Braz and Reda. Also look at how many of the devlopment type player from days past who after being let go from TFC are simply not playing and or at a much lower level, like the CSL.

Having guys like DeRo, Gerba and now JDG is key now, those who have played on the international scene, if Mo can continue to sign domestic talent like that I am all for it. With Vancouver coming in 2011 and the likelyhood of Montreal bringing in top Canadian talent will be key.

Now this could all change if what has been talked about in the past and the MLS in conjuction with the USSF and CSA agree that the domestic players for all teams in the league can be both from Canada and the US, the importance of Canadian talent will be greatly reduced.

werewolf
09-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Don't see the purpose of this poll that is full of bias like the way you have yes in lower case and no in upper case. I want to see the best possible team play. However, make no mistake Mighty. A full, healthy Canadian men's national team would take any MLS team to the cleaners. Anyhow, it doesn't really matter as TFC will probably have a majority young, Canadian line up in about 10 years time.

Agreed.

Also, the thread title suggests "mostly Canadian" while the actual poll says "All-Canadian".

Cashcleaner
09-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Well, I'm going to assume the poll question is: Would you like to see a mostly Canadian TFC?

And with that point clarified, I certainly would like to see a mostly Canadian team fielded here in Toronto. Of course, there are the obvious problems with that course of action, but I think we'd still be a much stronger team with a solid core of home-grown talentsupplemented with foreign players.

egoodwin
09-23-2009, 10:40 PM
No.

MLS does not recognize FIFA dates, so CMNT plays either Canada is screwed or TFC is... depending on how many choose club over country

Cashcleaner
09-23-2009, 10:47 PM
^ For now the league may not recognise FIFA competition, but the signs are starting to show that attitude changing.

sully
09-24-2009, 04:08 AM
with respect to a full team of Canadians - why limit the team to a small pool of possible players from a (with respect) country with a very limited pool of talent? with respect to a team with some Canadians - well this is inevitable I would think. Yes its good to develop the game in canada but surely this would be better served by showing the best possible on the field and helping put in place the infrastructure in the communites to develop young talent...

Oldtimer
09-24-2009, 07:26 AM
I think Mo is only interested in higher-quality Canadians.

He tipped his hand on the May 19, 2007 home match against DC (I recently re-watched part of that 2-1 loss) in a CBC interview, when he said that he wanted to add Canadians, but hinted at special players and players under contract overseas, "no disrespect" to the Canadians who were then with the team.

He also pointed to development being important to meet TFC's goal of adding Canadian talent, because players who don't ever go to Europe are a lot cheaper for TFC.

So far, Mo's been true to what he hinted, even though many of us thought he actually preferred aging British players at the time.

BTW, it's worthwhile looking at old matches. The league has improved immensely since 2007. I'd forgotten how poorly even the better teams like DC played in 2007, compared with today.

Parkdale
09-24-2009, 08:48 AM
at first I was going to come in here and say:
"no, they should field the best team possible based on skill, not nationality"

but then I saw this comment,

and have changed my opinion to agree 100% with the above comment.

trane
09-24-2009, 08:51 AM
^ it would be interesting to see, at least once.

Parkdale
09-24-2009, 08:55 AM
^ it would be interesting to see, at least once.

yes, with an Azzuri crest on it's dress!

:cool:

trane
09-24-2009, 09:00 AM
^ Well right now me may be able to use a good goat on the back line, train it to head balls away, and if all else fails head strikers in the chest, also known as the Zedane.

Come to think of it, it may also work for TFC.

Parkdale
09-24-2009, 09:05 AM
I knew there was going to be a goat headbutt joke in there!

http://vocalo.org/vcontent/thumbnail/45337/image/inclusion

^ hey look, it's the youth development squad!

ArmenJBX
09-24-2009, 09:07 AM

Put Kljestan in a tutu...there you go :D

trane
09-24-2009, 09:30 AM

He is ball watching like a real TFC defender. Sign him up.

mmmikey
09-24-2009, 11:37 AM

stop posting pictures of the red bulls

Parkdale
09-24-2009, 12:00 PM
^ that goat is NOT shite!

side note:

poor guy was abandoned by his mom, but then later discovered soccer and is one happy little dude.
then someone ate him, probably with mint jelly.

Fort York Redcoat
09-24-2009, 12:44 PM
This poll has taught us so much...

Like the sane among us I want an all-Canadian team that is the best team in MLS. I do not want an all-Canadian team at the expense of talent. I don't think we're doing that. Mighty so thinly veiled thinks people care too much about Canadian content. Well if Canada players play on the same team they can work better together and when they improve they do so in front of their own nation's fans.

Minus yourself of course Mighty. I believe you've said you support Russia. Or was that just for Hockey?

mighty_torontofc_2008
09-24-2009, 01:24 PM
This poll has taught us so much...

Like the sane among us I want an all-Canadian team that is the best team in MLS. I do not want an all-Canadian team at the expense of talent. I don't think we're doing that. Mighty so thinly veiled thinks people care to much about Canadian content. Well if Canada players play on the same team they can work better together and when they improve they do so in front of their own nation's fans.

Minus yourself of course Mighty. I believe you've said you support Russia. Or was that just for Hockey?

Hockey man Hockey!!!<3

Torcida
09-24-2009, 07:32 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_sW65ilskOC8/R4qKiljMvLI/AAAAAAAAIgw/P37wl7lS9_w/s320/JesseMarschAndreaLombardoSoccer.jpg

counterattack
09-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Go ahead and recruit all the Canadians you can find.
Don't criticize the US players you have already drafted or signed.
Every US player that comes up to Toronto has to accept the currency flux with absolutely no recourse!

InTheCrowd
09-24-2009, 08:10 PM
I know we all want the best possible starting line up but that's not the question here folks.

No, there are good Canadians but there are more foreigners and many better foreigners. We have the international roster spots lets use them. Canadian players would keep us very limited. I say sign the best foreigners we can to fill up the international roster spots and the rest can be Canadian and American. No let's not go all Canadian please.

Fort York Redcoat
09-25-2009, 08:18 AM
^Wait. The question is whether I'd like to see all Canadians. I would first and foremost. If there are better players available I'll compromise. It's simple enough for me.

ManUtd4ever
09-25-2009, 08:47 AM
As for Canadian players that are willing and/or able to play in MLS, MoJo has already acquired the best talent out there...I would like to see TFC augment the existing nucleus of the squad with solid international signings next season...

Macksam
09-25-2009, 09:54 AM
There are still a few more Canadian internationals they should go for. Kevin Mckenna being one, and a winger like Simpson being the other.

elGordo
09-26-2009, 12:52 PM
No, simply because if TFC gets all the top Canadian players out there (and those are the Canadians you would want after all), every time Canada calls on players for a match TFC is decimated. The same goes for picking up guys who are the best players in other countries with smallish talent pools. TFC would gain an advantage if it concentrated on getting guys from the big powers that are just below national team level in those countries.

Fort York Redcoat
09-28-2009, 01:53 PM
^No thank you if it's an equal quality for 8th rate Brazilians or Argentinians instead of Canadians I know who I want to see.

elGordo
09-28-2009, 03:18 PM
^No thank you if it's an equal quality for 8th rate Brazilians or Argentinians instead of Canadians I know who I want to see.
I know what you mean, but do you still feel that way if those Canadians aren't with the team for a whole bunch of games because they are playing with the national team? There's some value to a player that is available to TFC for every game in the season.

InTheCrowd
09-28-2009, 05:37 PM

I hope you're referring to the Brazilians and Argentinians.

Macksam
09-28-2009, 09:58 PM
I hope you're referring to the Brazilians and Argentinians.
Well he said for equal quality. For equal quality, it would be obviously better to go with Canadians.

Macksam
09-28-2009, 09:59 PM
I know what you mean, but do you still feel that way if those Canadians aren't with the team for a whole bunch of games because they are playing with the national team? There's some value to a player that is available to TFC for every game in the season.
MLS seems like they are slowly starting to respect FIFA dates so this shouldn't be an issue a couple years down the road.

Fort York Redcoat
09-29-2009, 08:16 AM

Those "whole bunch of games" amounts to 2 or 3 a year if we're lucky and I expect to be at those games.

Pookie
09-29-2009, 08:46 AM
I assume that the OP means:

Should TFC go Mostly Canadian in the Roster... in addition to the minimum 7 Canadians that are already required to be on the roster according to the MLS Developmental Player rule (ie. quota system)?

Section 117
09-30-2009, 11:22 AM
IMO why would we want a roster full of Canadians if it is not the best talent that we can sign...

If everything being equal between Canadian vs import then yes sign the Canadian. But if we go to sign a player just because he is Canadian then no, let him sign with Montreal or Vancouver.

Pookie
09-30-2009, 12:25 PM
^ the issue is that we need 7 Canadians on the roster.

That means we pick the 7 "best" out of what's available and willing to play in the MLS. Mind you, they don't have to be starters but the quota system means we need them.

When Vancouver comes into the league, they too will be subject to the same quota. Meaning that collectively both teams will now have to pick 14 Canadians from our limited pool. If Montreal comes in, that number goes to 21.

Unless the rules change, I don't think you can go down the International vs Canadian road. We need to sign the 7 best available Canadians and then look at the 5 available US slots and 8 International slots.

Although this is about building a team, those slots are mutually exclusive.