PDA

View Full Version : Philadeplhia Union vs DC United as Home Opener

pekduck
09-23-2009, 05:11 PM
PHILADELPHIA UNION V. D.C. UNITED IN FIRST EVER HOME OPENER
Philadelphia Union and Eagles Unite to Bring Soccer’s Best to Greater Philadelphia Region
For Founding Members Only
CHESTER, Pa. (September 23, 2009)—Philadelphia Union, the expansion Major League Soccer club, announces their first ever home opener will be Saturday, April 10th at Lincoln Financial Field, against Eastern Conference rivals D.C. United. In addition, Philadelphia Union announces a partnership with the Philadelphia Eagles on a multi-year agreement to bring the best teams and the best players in the world to Lincoln Financial Field.
With the need for MLS to finalize its schedule for all 16 teams, Philadelphia Union made a decision to open at Lincoln Financial Field, knowing thousands more fans will be able to witness this historic first home match in club history.
“Bringing our great fans together with D.C. United’s supporters should create an incredible atmosphere to kick things off,” explained CEO & Operating Partner Nick Sakiewicz. “In crafting this relationship with the Philadelphia Eagles and Soccer United Marketing, we’re ensuring that our fans will have an opportunity to see the absolute greats of our game from around the world and throughout our league for many years to come.”
Since we now know that our stadium will not be ready in early April, we made this decision to enable the League to move forward with its plans. Construction is moving along rapidly, and I can assure everyone that we will play the vast majority of our games in Chester this season,” Sakiewicz added.
The ‘Summer of Soccer’ just concluded, generating nearly 2-million fans in 103 matches throughout 53 days across the United States. That included the US Men’s National Team in a CONCACAF Gold Cup doubleheader in Philadelphia, with the likes of FC Barcelona, Chelsea, AC Milan and Real Madrid, playing in front of huge crowds all across the country: 93,137 at the Rose Bowl; 82,252 in Dallas and 79,156 at Giants Stadium.
With the FIFA World CupTM up for bid for 2018 and 2022, the partnership between Philadelphia Union and the Eagles, bringing additional mega-international games to Philadelphia, will further enhance the city’s effort to bring the world’s largest sporting event to the United States and to our town.
“We are very glad to be a part of this collaboration with Philadelphia Union and Soccer United Marketing. It’s not only great for people who love sports; it is also good ultimately for the region’s economy. By targeting the very best soccer clubs in Europe and South America, we are able to put Philadelphia and the region on the international stage for sports and hospitality,” said Eagles President, Joe Banner. “We are especially pleased to partner with Philadelphia Union to celebrate their inaugural game here at Lincoln Financial Field
The combined capacity of Philadelphia Union’s permanent home in Chester and Lincoln Financial Field go a long way toward establishing a solid foundation and positioning the Greater Philadelphia region as one of the nation’s primary destinations for the highest levels of international soccer.
“This is a great partnership that will go a long way toward making exciting things happen for sports in the region,” added Philadelphia Sports Congress Executive Director Larry Needle. “This will serve to enhance Philadelphia’s reputation as one of the country’s great sports destinations, and ultimately, result in the region hosting even more of the world’s best soccer.”
For more information on Philadelphia Union’s First Kick in Philadelphia, please visit www.philadelphiaunion.com (http://app.en25.com/e/er.aspx?s=919&lid=42&elq=c5f2651be4004bfe8fa31b306d46803f).
ABOUT KEYSTONE SPORTS AND ENTERTAINMENT,LLC
Keystone Sports and Entertainment, LLC, is the Philadelphia Union ownership group. It is comprised of Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of iStar Financial Jay Sugarman, CEO and Operating Partner Nick Sakiewicz, Christopher and Robert Buccini and David Pollin, founding partners of the Buccini Pollin Group, Swarthmore Group Chairman Jim Nevels and Philadelphia attorney William Doran. For more information about Philadelphia Union, visit www.philadelphiaunion.com (http://app.en25.com/e/er.aspx?s=919&lid=42&elq=c5f2651be4004bfe8fa31b306d46803f).
ABOUT MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER
Headquartered in New York City, Major League Soccer is the top-flight professional soccer league in the United States and Canada. MLS features many stars from the U.S., Canada, and around the world. MLS kicked off its 14th season on March 19, and will feature 15 teams each playing 30 regular season matches. They include Chicago Fire, Colorado Rapids, Chivas USA, Columbus Crew, D.C. United, FC Dallas, Houston Dynamo, Kansas City Wizards, Los Angeles Galaxy, New York Red Bulls, New England Revolution, Real Salt Lake, San Jose Earthquakes, Toronto FC and, in its inaugural season, Seattle Sounders FC. Philadelphia Union will debut as an expansion team in 2010, while expansion teams in Vancouver and Portland will debut in 2011. For more information about MLS, log on to the League’s official website at www.MLSnet.com (http://app.en25.com/e/er.aspx?s=919&lid=29&elq=c5f2651be4004bfe8fa31b306d46803f).
ABOUT SOCCER UNITED MARKETING
Founded in 2002, Soccer United Marketing (SUM) is the preeminent soccer business company in North America. SUM holds the exclusive rights to the most important soccer properties in the region, including: all commercial rights to Major League Soccer; the United States Soccer Federation; promotional and marketing rights to Mexican National Team games played in the United States; the marketing and promotion of the CONCACAF Gold Cup™, and marketing, promotional and broadcast rights to the prestigious eight-team Mexican club tournament - InterLiga™. SUM also manages promotional and marketing rights in the United States for Mexico's most popular sports team, Club Deportivo Guadalajara (Chivas).
In addition, SUM created SuperLiga, the innovative professional tournament between MLS and Mexico's First Division clubs that debuted in 2007, as well as the Pan-Pacific Championship, an international soccer tournament that crowns the top club from the Pan Pacific region. In 2008 SUM entered into a long term partnership with FC Barcelona which includes tours of the legendary Spanish club. These global properties are represented by SUM's slogan: One Sport. One Company.™ For more information, please visit www.SUMworld.com (http://app.en25.com/e/er.aspx?s=919&lid=58&elq=c5f2651be4004bfe8fa31b306d46803f).
En Espanol (http://info.philadelphiaunion.com/content/HomeOpenerAnnouncement?elq=c5f2651be4004bfe8fa31b3 06d46803f)

JonO
09-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Wow - that's a lot of advance notice... should be a fun one...

FluSH
09-23-2009, 05:33 PM
Barra Brava vs Sons of Ben

wow...

CretanBull
09-23-2009, 05:34 PM
Damn, I would have loved to have gone down there for the 1st game...

Broadview
09-23-2009, 05:38 PM
I wonder how big a chunk they'll set aside for the DC supporters?

pekduck
09-23-2009, 06:06 PM
i'll be down there... need a SLR camera before april 1st next year... i want to experience it

Nodoubtguy
09-23-2009, 06:12 PM
i'll be down there... need a SLR camera before april 1st next year... i want to experience it

what about TFC??? I assume they would start the same weekend

pekduck
09-23-2009, 06:15 PM
what about TFC??? I assume they would start the same weekend

i HOPE NOT, but we'll see

edit: i hope next year's First Kick is Philly vs DC as the lone game. Then TFC start. :)

Detroit_TFC
09-23-2009, 06:15 PM
I hope they televise it, could be a crazy environment.

Nodoubtguy
09-23-2009, 06:22 PM

edit: i hope next year's First Kick is Philly vs DC as the lone game. Then TFC start. :)

well if thats the case.....I'm interested too

BC101
09-23-2009, 06:29 PM
it will MLS would be dumb not to... I think a lot of people who "know" would wanna see this match. Following year Vancouver vs Seattle or whatever.

pekduck
09-23-2009, 06:47 PM
it will MLS would be dumb not to... I think a lot of people who "know" would wanna see this match. Following year Vancouver vs Seattle or whatever.

certainly hope so.

Philly will be sold out back to back, opener against DC, then TFC open in Philly, both games with crazy away support. Good for all 3 teams involved, good for MLS in general.

prizby
09-23-2009, 07:57 PM
since ticket sales have been going well it seems for philly, it will be hard to send a large away contingent to philly if its not at lincoln memorial field

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE OUR SUPPORTER GROUPS (RPB, U SEC, NEE) CONTACT THE LEAGUE AND SAY HEY, WE WANT TO IMPROVE THE VISIBILITY OF LEAGUE, SEND LOTS OF FANS TO PHILLY ETC, ETC, SCHEDULE A TFC AWAY GAME IN PHILLY EARLY!!!

Dirk Diggler
09-23-2009, 09:27 PM
Is their new stadium going to be done for the season opener?

Cannon
09-23-2009, 09:43 PM
.... explained CEO & Operating Partner Nick Sakiewicz. “In crafting this relationship with the Philadelphia Eagles and Soccer United Marketing, we’re ensuring that our fans will have an opportunity to see the absolute greats of our game from around the world and throughout our league for many years to come.”

Since we now know that our stadium will not be ready in early April, we made this decision to enable the League to move forward with its plans. Construction is moving along rapidly, and I can assure everyone that we will play the vast majority of our games in Chester this season,” Sakiewicz added......

Should answer your question :canada:

Shway
09-23-2009, 11:32 PM
they should open against New York in the new Red Bull arena ....that stadium would be packed...good viewing for the expansion, sons of ben would travel in numbers it would just look good on the league, tv ratings, evertthing

Rudi
09-23-2009, 11:52 PM

It's going to be Philly @ Seattle on March 25.

I can almost guarantee that TFC (along with the rest of the league) will be playing on April 10.

Rudi
09-23-2009, 11:54 PM
they should open against New York in the new Red Bull arena ....that stadium would be packed...good viewing for the expansion, sons of ben would travel in numbers it would just look good on the league, tv ratings, evertthing
RBA is likely opening against San Jose or Colorado.

It would be a waste to have a prime "derby" match for the first ever game there, as the place would likely sell well no matter who plays that day. They might as well use up one of their less glamourous games and keep the big matches for later in the season.

twistedchinaman
09-24-2009, 12:34 AM
We'll probably end up being some sub-tropical team's home opener opponent -- likely KC, Chivas or San Jose. Possibly an Eastern opponent.

twistedchinaman
09-24-2009, 12:41 AM
Ideal first week matches:

Philly @ Seattle (That will be the pimp spot ESPN game on Thursday night)
San Jose @ KC (The who gives a flying fuck Cup)
TFC @ Los Angeles (Should be on CBC, will be on GOL TV)
Chicago @ Dallas (Brimstone Cup, Game 1)
Colnumbnuts @ Houston (Battle of the past champs)
RSL @ Colorado (Rocky Mountain Cup, Game 1)
New York @ Chivas (East Coast vs. West Coast)
New England @ DC (A Nor'eastern battle)

pekduck
09-24-2009, 12:15 PM
APRIL 10
D.C. at Philadelphia, 3 (FSC)
Toronto at New England, 7:30

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

pekduck
09-24-2009, 12:16 PM
so in theory, i can go to philly game, get on a flight/crazy drive and catch TFC at 7:30

BC101
09-24-2009, 12:31 PM
so in theory, i can go to philly game, get on a flight/crazy drive and catch TFC at 7:30
just go to the philly game LOL I might go even though I KINDA wanna NE but its not important LOL.

Nodoubtguy
09-24-2009, 01:14 PM
hmmmmm.......While I would love to do Boston (again), it's not our season opener and I do plan on doing Charleston so I think if I have to choose.....Philly might be an option.

BC101
09-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Philly>NE atleast for that weekend.. I wanna see what kinda antics happen in the crowd.. Be it smoke flares or whatever flags drums... I have a feeling it might very well be some next level stuff.

deltox
09-24-2009, 01:24 PM
the boston trip is the BIG trip........

its gonna be Lengendary

Nodoubtguy
09-24-2009, 01:25 PM
the boston trip is the BIG trip........

its gonna be Lengendary

Thats why I'm so split. Boston was fun this year....but it wasn't huge.

BC101
09-24-2009, 01:27 PM
I have never been to Boston... And I want to go butttttttttt the FANtics that might go down are awfully tempting LOL. Boston on the other hand will just be another RPB day out for me. Clownbus 2000 part 2.

pekduck
09-25-2009, 10:10 AM
OKAY HERE IS THE DEAL:

Southwest Airlines 4:40pm Departure from PHL (Philadelphia), arrives at 5:50pm in PVD (Providence) for $69 USD one way.

I'll go to Sons of Ben vs Barra Brava in Lincoln Financial Field for the 1st half, kick off at 3pm. It'll be epic!

At 45 min mark, leave for PHL airport, which is, 15 min drive away from Lincoln Financial Field :D

After landing in PVD, get a car and drive to Foxborough for 7:30pm kick off with TFC. (40 min drive)

Who's doing it with me?

BC101
09-25-2009, 10:11 AM
LOL I WOULD but the thing is yer traveling from within the states for me its not possible that way. I gotta choose one or the other.