PDA

View Full Version : Olivier Occean !?!?!

Keegan
09-22-2009, 11:29 PM
Someone was posting on here that Toronto was going to sign another big name... well I came upon Ali Gerba's facebook and his Sept 12th status was....

Ali Gerba The French Connection is in town! T.O is on lockdown!

With one comment.... from Olivier Occean: WORD UP

Both french.. both strikers.. I don't think Occean is taking a break from his season to go to Toronto and drink with Gerba. It makes too much sense and if this is true. UNREAL. We are gonna have a deadly strike force.

werewolf
09-22-2009, 11:35 PM
"He signed a 5-year contract with Lillestrøm S.K. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lillestr%C3%B8m_S.K.) on December 10, 2005. The deal was worth approximately €885,000 plus about €126,000 in possible incentive pay."

That should take him to the end of next season. Unless he was released, after scoring twice in 14 games (out of 25 games for the team). In which case...whoop-di-doo...

Ossington Mental Youth
09-22-2009, 11:40 PM
nah i think hed be a great signing and i do hope this is the player unless theres someone bigger jumping on board...

Keegan
09-22-2009, 11:44 PM
52 goals in 120 games according to his wikipedia, UEFA cup experience one of the most solid strikers in Norway playing for one of the biggest norwegian teams. I remember when they played my team Newcastle a few years ago Roeder highlighting Occean as Lillestroms threat. Idk just a little memory haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnU0RpwLorM
Great finish

werewolf
09-22-2009, 11:48 PM
thats fantastic, I know he was once a prolific scorer. If its true, that could be a good pairing up-front. It just looks like he might be on the downslope of his career.

Rudi
09-23-2009, 12:12 AM
Mo Johnston was "essentially" the one who drafted Occean out of his Div II college back in 2004. He scouted Occean as part of his assistant coach role under Bob Bradley back then.

IIRC, he asked Occean to not participate in the MLS Combine ahead of the draft, so that he could draft Occean later than he would have gone had other scouts seen him. Occean inexplicably agreed, and MoJo/Bradley drafted him 26th.

The Metros then took him to the La Manga Cup as an unsigned rookie, and Occean impressed there, scored bucketloads of goals against Scandinavian competition. Odd Grenland put in an offer that MLS thought was too high for an unknown Canadian coming out of a Div II college program, so Occean walked. He's been in Norway ever since.

The case is actually a somewhat famous one among long time fans of the league, who point to Occean as an example of the league's frugality gone wrong.

He'd be a decent pickup if indeed that is what's happening. He's more of a target forward than Gerba is, so he'd fill the Dichio role. It's been years since I've seen him play, but from what I remember he's less of a passer than Dichio, but faster and just as physical.

Regardless, he wouldn't be eligible to play for TFC until next season at the earliest, as the MLS roster freeze came into effect on Sept. 15.

CretanBull
09-23-2009, 12:35 AM
We should do away with the name "TFC" and start calling us what we are - CMNT (not that I have a problem with that!

Fort York Redcoat
09-23-2009, 08:30 AM
Occean. Yes please.

Shaughno
09-23-2009, 08:43 AM
Occean would be a good addition up front.

mmmikey
09-23-2009, 08:44 AM

...and.. one more international spot freed up to devote to a winger or cb...

edit: any one else wondering if the JDG effect might be attracting top end canadian talent back to canada?

Shaughno
09-23-2009, 08:46 AM
^^ Agreed. Add a solid Int'l CB and I'm happy. :D

Shaughno
09-23-2009, 08:46 AM
For what it's worth... when I clicked on this thread I totally thought it was about Tebily again. :lol:

ManUtd4ever
09-23-2009, 08:49 AM

I second that notion...

TorCanSoc
09-23-2009, 08:52 AM
I just remember that WCQ game. I think it was Guatamala or El Salvadore. We had a nonsense penalty called against Mark Watson, their striker stepped on Watson's foot went down like he'd been shot (as per the CONCACAF norm) and got the call. Everyone's pissed, play goes on, Ocean scores one and it gets called back!! Oh man that hurt. It was one of those had to win games. Devos was captain.

If my football stories haven't mashed up into one angry ficticious story, I think the ref was Baldermero Toledo.

btw: Ocean is a thumbs up.

Detroit_TFC
09-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Gonna be slim pickings for Vancouver for their expansion draft Canadians-wise.

wzhxvy
09-23-2009, 09:58 AM
I dont know this guy...he has struggled lately in Norway. No issue with bringing him in but lets not sign him to a long term deal (aka Barrett) unless we are sure he can deliver for us.

TorontoBlades
09-23-2009, 10:08 AM
Well hopefully with the increase to the cap next year (hopefully). Mo will be able to fill in the holes on our team with higher priced and more experienced players for the bench and in supporting roles. All of a sudden Robbo doesn't look so bad at 300k being able to come off the bench to hold down a lead in the final 30 minutes. Players on the tail end of their career like Occean will be able to come in as experienced subs, and we can afford to over pay a couple of experienced european CBs to come over and solidify this lineup.

TorontoBlades
09-23-2009, 10:10 AM

I never understood why these teams get an expansion draft. We had one, but we started with NOTHING, Seattle get to keep their players as will Vancouver and Portland, and they get to take a stab at a couple of players from every other team, Doesn't seem fair to me.

olegunnar
09-23-2009, 10:22 AM
I never understood why these teams get an expansion draft. We had one, but we started with NOTHING, Seattle get to keep their players as will Vancouver and Portland, and they get to take a stab at a couple of players from every other team, Doesn't seem fair to me.

MLS owns the players
The 2-3 players Seattle kept, either had to void their contracts with the Sounders, or were free agents and just signed with MLS.

TorontoBlades
09-23-2009, 10:30 AM
MLS owns the players
The 2-3 players Seattle kept, either had to void their contracts with the Sounders, or were free agents and just signed with MLS.

it was only 2-3 players??? though it was more....either way, Vancouver will probable resign players like Nash, etc that will be able to contribute as role players making them a decent year 1 expansion side to begin with, don't see why they would be required to dilute the player pool even further

Puskas
09-23-2009, 10:53 AM

I think that's exactly why Mo is snapping up all these Canadians. Vancouver will now have to either buy other Canadians around the world at a massive premium ( if they could have been bought easily, we'd already have them). Or they'd have to trade away their souls to get our Canadians from us.

TOBOR !
09-23-2009, 10:58 AM
meh. I got all wound up about Ali Gerba and look at how that's turned out so far.

werewolf
09-23-2009, 11:04 AM

Sol Campbell.

Detroit_TFC
09-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Sol Campbell.

LOL He would play one game then leave, because that is his way.

jloome
09-23-2009, 11:47 AM
I just remember that WCQ game. I think it was Guatamala or El Salvadore. We had a nonsense penalty called against Mark Watson, their striker stepped on Watson's foot went down like he'd been shot (as per the CONCACAF norm) and got the call. Everyone's pissed, play goes on, Ocean scores one and it gets called back!! Oh man that hurt. It was one of those had to win games. Devos was captain.

If my football stories haven't mashed up into one angry ficticious story, I think the ref was Baldermero Toledo.

Guatemala, in Edmonton. I had touchline-level seats on the "flop" that was called a penatly. And I believe it was Douchebaggo Toledo.

jloome
09-23-2009, 11:49 AM
I dont know this guy...he has struggled lately in Norway. No issue with bringing him in but lets not sign him to a long term deal (aka Barrett) unless we are sure he can deliver for us.

He can deliver for us. In fact, this may be one of the few bleak spells he's had in his career, so I imagine he might've been injured lately and comng back from it.

He's a good striker, not world class, but good. He knows how to round a keeper, for one thing, and he's really, really strong in the air.

Rudi
09-23-2009, 11:49 AM

It was in Edmonton, versus Honduras. The striker, David Suazo, flopped like a fish with zero contact and drew a penalty.

Two minutes later Occean legitimately scores and it gets called back because (surprisingly) a Honduran flopped, this time in his own 18 yard box.

Stalteri, who was injured on the bench at the time, got red-carded for throwing a water bottle on the field.

The ref that day was Benito Archundia, the same ref who called Atiba Hutchinson offside in the Gold Cup semi-final in 2007. I was 10 feet behind the net that Hutchinson scored on.

Wonderful memories. :rolleyes:

jloome
09-23-2009, 03:56 PM
It was in Edmonton, versus Honduras. The striker, David Suazo, flopped like a fish with zero contact and drew a penalty.

Two minutes later Occean legitimately scores and it gets called back because (surprisingly) a Honduran flopped, this time in his own 18 yard box.

Stalteri, who was injured on the bench at the time, got red-carded for throwing a water bottle on the field.

The ref that day was Benito Archundia, the same ref who called Atiba Hutchinson offside in the Gold Cup semi-final in 2007. I was 10 feet behind the net that Hutchinson scored on.

Wonderful memories. :rolleyes:

Right, Honduras. Man, I'm getting old.

mighty_torontofc_2008
09-23-2009, 04:51 PM
We should do away with the name "TFC" and start calling us what we are - CMNT (not that I have a problem with that!

please NO..TFC has enough problems withoyt being compared to our great Under acheivers (nats)...even the Nats would struggle to be competitive with the NY Red Bulls.And another major problem with having too many canucks is when the next gold cup/wcq happens TFC will be left
bare handed...6-7 canucks on the roster is fine..supported by Yanks and foreign talent...But never should TFC field 100% Canadians..we would never win anything that way...the national team is a perfect example of that!!

werewolf
09-23-2009, 04:53 PM
^ If TFC never makes the World Cup, I am prefectly fine with that.

p.s. The Nats' were a junior hockey team in the Western Canadian Hockey League based out of Vancouver from 1971-73.

Davenport
09-23-2009, 05:51 PM
His brother Billy could sing the National Anthem.

mighty_torontofc_2008
09-23-2009, 06:04 PM
His brother Billy could sing the National Anthem.

ohhhhhhh:facepalm::D