PDA

View Full Version : Well done, Tom Anselmi

greatwhitenorf
09-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Tom "Nick the Greek"*Anselmi did a very nice job today handling TFC and BMO Field enquiries from Bobo McClown between 530 and 545pm.

As always, Bobo, with Snapper John Shannon leashed nearby, liked to veer into the glib and sarcastic vein in his questions and comments and Tom did a very nice job keeping things calm and focused on what the club is doing with regards to the stadium.

Never easy dealing with hostile or indifferent people interviewing you, but Tom kept it on the fairway today. Patiently explained how the stadium usage will evolve from non-stop public use toward professional and national team usage, plus limited other events, and the tone was those events would be soccer oriented. He also outlined how the community access component of the stadium would now migrate over to Lamport Stadium, where the winter bubble will be housed, as well as fields over in Etobicoke.

Naturally, the pet microphonist of the Toronto Argos had to imply that the Argos simply must be moving into the stadium and Tom smoothly deflated all that banter.

Perhaps, Tom, it would be prudent in future media fireside chats to bring up the notion that, once the stadium has grass, the number of soccer events that generate revenue will climb significantly as the national teams - and stress the plural - begin to make the ground a frequent destination.

Add in the number of international friendlies that might be played there in any given summer - not necessarily against TFC - as Toronto itself is a very attractive destination, plus the brighter prospect of more MLS playoff and Concacaf CL matches as the grass permits the recruiting of better talent, and there really will be no room for CFL activity. It would wreck the playing surface anyway.

He did bring up the point that a re-fit of the stadium to accomodate the Argos would cost upward of $25 million, a prohibitive fee for the semi-pro club.

And he persisted in nagging Bobo to take in a TFC game in near future. Not sure why, as things have gone smoothly without him. Kinda like how NASCAR managed to prosper before perpetual redneck-basher Jim Rome had a dollar-bill shaped rocket inserted in his backside to make him change his sour tune.

*Character from Lock,Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. The one with a roll of bills in his pocket that "could choke a dozen donkeys...". Dead ringer for Anselmi.

crozack
09-22-2009, 05:15 PM
well said!

Snowy
09-22-2009, 05:16 PM
I thought it was very interesting that Bob seemed genuinely shocked that MLSE was laying out the $5.5 million for the project, and nobody was looking to put their hand in his pocket. He really looked surprised by that.

Sullivan
09-22-2009, 05:25 PM
good on Anselmi

and since it's Anselmi, any thoughts or is there any value to moving this over to the chants thread?

To be sung @ BMO by supporters to the tune of Walking in a Winter Wonderland

"Tom Anselmi are you listening,
Can you see what we are missing,
We are bottom of the league,
And with no Champions League,
we're walking in a Johnson wonderland.

Shakes McQueen
09-22-2009, 05:27 PM
That was pretty slick, how you rhymed "league" with "league" :)

- Scott

greatwhitenorf
09-22-2009, 05:33 PM
Ooh, that's a bit lame. Do you sing solo?

As Tom said, and I paraphrase, 'we're two-and-a-half years old'.

And as Bill Nelson sings nowadays - yes, that one, the guitar virtuoso from Be Bop Deluxe - "...I'm a man of vision, and I like what I see...".

We're getting there. We're getting grass for next year and with it, the wherewithall to begin seriously recruiting top players. Let's give 'em a chance to sort things out under the right conditions.

Red CB Toronto
09-22-2009, 06:04 PM
The United Football League expansion team that most likely will be playing in LA in 2010 will be calling Home Depot their home, sharing the field with the Galaxy and Chivas, these Argo issue is one that peope have to relax about, if it is done down the line, which in the near future it will not because the Argonauts currently have a sweetheart deal with Rogers, it would be done in a way that would have little or no effect on the Reds.

People have to understand the buiz of sports and entertainment, that it is about making as much revenue as possible for your entity, so if their is a chance to make more it will be done.

Look at the MLL, they brought home a championship in 2009 and will be playing on the grass too, so how can we complain, we did see lacrosse lines this year and their was not much negative reaction to that.

Chevy
09-22-2009, 06:18 PM
^^ But the CFL field doesn't FIT!!

geordie77
09-22-2009, 06:20 PM
I would say that it was a Fair Exchange with a Sunburst Finish

Toronto Ruffrider
09-22-2009, 06:30 PM
^^ But the CFL field doesn't FIT!!

Exactly. The pitch at the HDC is 120 yards long - the exact same length as an American pointy ball field + end zones. A CFL field would be 35 yards longer than our 115-yard pitch at BMO. The Argos will not be coming to BMO unless Cynamon and Sokolowski really open their wallets.

Shakes McQueen
09-22-2009, 07:03 PM
I like McCown, and his show, but it really annoyed me that he spent so much time talking about the prospect of moving the Argos there. Anselmi clearly didn't want to talk about it.

- Scott

Kaz
09-22-2009, 07:10 PM
They key is to pay attention to Seattle's Qwest Field, are we seeing NFL lines on the Sounders Pitch?

Seriously I haven't been paying alot of attention.

TFC07
09-22-2009, 07:12 PM
Why do the Argos even want to move to BMO field? Don't Argos average 30,000 per game? Where is Argos coming to BMO field talk coming from?

It doesn't make sense for Argos to invest in $25 million (I believe this cost only applies to making the field bigger ) and plus millions more to increase seating capacity of BMO field when Argos themselves don't make that much money to begin with at all.

TFC07
09-22-2009, 07:13 PM
They key is to pay attention to Seattle's Qwest Field, are we seeing NFL lines on the Sounders Pitch?

Seriously I haven't been paying alot of attention.

I doubt you'll see football lines on sounders field. Seattle's owner isn't cheap unlike Revs owner.

Chevy
09-22-2009, 07:16 PM
The ONLY scenario that will see the Argos play in BMO is if MLSE purchases the team.

Considering the Argos profit and potential for growth are pretty darn small, I don't see this happening. And for $25 million to upgrade the stadium you could purchase the entire CFL Eastern conference.

Shakes McQueen
09-22-2009, 07:20 PM
My favourite line from Anselmi, was when Shannon said that Beckham signing with MLS helped TFC sell tickets over that first summer:

"I tell you what - he's played here once, and that was the All-Star Game, right? Since he's been in MLS, and it hasn't hurt us. And people aren't bitching about it, either."

The weird thing, is that Anselmi seemed genuinely excited to talk about TFC - the Leafs and Raptors talk was the usual rote pablum, but as soon as he started talking about the success of TFC, and the past failures of soccer in Toronto, he seemed to pick up big time.

- Scott

Bars92
09-22-2009, 08:30 PM
I think the way the Argos are going, they will soon be desperate to attempt to move to BMO field and try and recreate the atmosphere that teams like Montreal and Hamilton has. The Rogers Centre has a huge Bills player on it, what does that say? I hope they like playing in a red stadium though..

Oldtimer
09-22-2009, 08:46 PM
The weird thing, is that Anselmi seemed genuinely excited to talk about TFC - the Leafs and Raptors talk was the usual rote pablum, but as soon as he started talking about the success of TFC, and the past failures of soccer in Toronto, he seemed to pick up big time.

- Scott

Why is that wierd? Hockey and basketball are great sports, but can't compare to soccer. :cool:

Oldtimer
09-22-2009, 08:48 PM
I think the way the Argos are going, they will soon be desperate to attempt to move to BMO field and try and recreate the atmosphere that teams like Montreal and Hamilton has. The Rogers Centre has a huge Bills player on it, what does that say? I hope they like playing in a red stadium though..

Read the prior posts. A CFL field won't fit in BMO without millions in renos.

anto7
09-22-2009, 09:09 PM
I would say that it was a Fair Exchange with a Sunburst Finish
Wow, I am shocked, here was me thinking I was probably the only Be Bop Deluxe fan in Canada !

Blizzard
09-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Why do the Argos even want to move to BMO field? Don't Argos average 30,000 per game? Where is Argos coming to BMO field talk coming from?

It doesn't make sense for Argos to invest in $25 million (I believe this cost only applies to making the field bigger ) and plus millions more to increase seating capacity of BMO field when Argos themselves don't make that much money to begin with at all.

I don't believe that the Argos deal at BMO is really quite as "sweetheart" as many seem to feel.

No parking, limited concessions and having to play on the bases because Rogers Centre has not (apparently) had enough time to correctly convert the baseball configuration to CFL are three reasons the Argos would probably prefer to not play in Skydome despite the larger seating capacity.

Blizzard
09-22-2009, 09:13 PM
good on Anselmi

and since it's Anselmi, any thoughts or is there any value to moving this over to the chants thread?

To be sung @ BMO by supporters to the tune of Walking in a Winter Wonderland

"Tom Anselmi are you listening,
Can you see what we are missing,
We are bottom of the league,
And with no Champions League,
we're walking in a Johnson wonderland.

Please never do that again! ;)

egoodwin
09-22-2009, 09:48 PM
The Argos in BMO idea is dead. No way in hell, will it be allowed to have them play on the new grass... considering how much is spent on it... Only an idiot, would spend that much cash only to have it fucked up by trampling and line and ad painting...

Bars92
09-22-2009, 10:02 PM
The Argos in BMO idea is dead. No way in hell, will it be allowed to have them play on the new grass... considering how much is spent on it... Only an idiot, would spend that much cash only to have it fucked up by trampling and line and ad painting...

Yeah what does MCCowan think the Argos are the Bears all of a sudden!

mighty_torontofc_2008
09-22-2009, 10:05 PM

they did a poll of their season ticket base and the majority wanted to stay at the dome.. the Argos like to use BMO as a bargin chip in its dealing with Rogers Center. Tom said when talking to Bob that likely one
stand east or west would have to come down to field a cfl field and rebuilt..cant see that happening..

Brooker
09-22-2009, 10:15 PM
http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?content=20090922_174552_6464

theres the interview.

greatwhitenorf
09-22-2009, 10:34 PM
Wow, I am shocked, here was me thinking I was probably the only Be Bop Deluxe fan in Canada !

Nice to see my initial quote has caught fire. Bill Nelson is an Awesome God of the Guitar. Honestly, has anyone - ANYONE! - ever played a cleaner, meaner sound than he does?

I've got Live! In the Air Age on my car CD player right now and my teenaged kids are going apeshit for what he's doing. The live versions of Blazing Apostles and Shine are on heavy, heavy rotation. Axe Victim is in there too.

Check him out. He's had this annual music and arts festival in Yorkshire called - what else!? - NelSonicA, going on the past decade or more. Google it. Google him. The man is still producing amazing music, just that it's way, way off the grid. Right where he likes it.

Toronto Ruffrider
09-22-2009, 10:44 PM
I don't believe that the Argos deal at BMO is really quite as "sweetheart" as many seem to feel.

No parking, limited concessions and having to play on the bases because Rogers Centre has not (apparently) had enough time to correctly convert the baseball configuration to CFL are three reasons the Argos would probably prefer to not play in Skydome despite the larger seating capacity.

But would the Argos be able to get a better deal at BMO? I have a hard time envisioning the Argos' ownership investing $25 million into BMO just to play second-fiddle to TFC.

greatwhitenorf
09-22-2009, 10:54 PM
You have to remember that they play well into the cold months of autumn-early winter. There's little to look forward to at an outdoor stadium on our waterfront when the temps dip below freezing.

It's cold and it's a wet cold. I don't miss the old CNE Stadium, in any configuration, one bit.

Oldtimer
09-23-2009, 07:47 AM
I was impressed with how Anselmi answered McCown. He certainly knew how to keep the interview on track.

McCown is obviously playing a role in his "hatred" of soccer. You can tell he has a lot of knowledge of the sport, knows the teams and the issues, and has even been following what is happening with the TFC he pretends "not to care" about.

deltox
09-23-2009, 09:20 AM
and he said 17,000 people on the waiting list

rocker
09-23-2009, 09:27 AM
$30 million he said, just to fit the Argos in.. not expansion beyond 20000 seats.

And you know the Argos are as cheap as shit. For them, spending even $5 million on anything would be a massive expense. Even their practice facility buildings are 11-year-old portables at the side of the field (i went to school out there and those portables were set up when I was an undergrad.. haven't changed a bit since). They don't want to spend money on anything.

bones
09-23-2009, 02:18 PM
If there is ever a sports topic out there where the public is 80% in favour of, remember, Bobo will ALWAYS argue on the 20% side. He doesn't let it die either. Every chance he gets he will push the 20% side just to get people going. The Argo's at BMO is just one of MAY topics he keeps going. The concept of CFL at BMO is dead, let's let Bobo piss away his time, again.

Bones...

arbogast
09-23-2009, 02:33 PM
$30 million he said, just to fit the Argos in.. not expansion beyond 20000 seats.

And you know the Argos are as cheap as shit. For them, spending even $5 million on anything would be a massive expense. Even their practice facility buildings are 11-year-old portables at the side of the field (i went to school out there and those portables were set up when I was an undergrad.. haven't changed a bit since). They don't want to spend money on anything.

Portables????!!!! What a joke. yeah, if they won't spend a dime on a proper practice facility, they won't spend a nickel on BMo expansion.

ilikemusic
09-23-2009, 03:03 PM
It was a great interview.

And it sound to me like Bob very well could be making an appearance at the San Jose game.

:scarf:

mighty_torontofc_2008
09-23-2009, 03:31 PM

And it sound to me like Bob very well could be making an appearance at the San Jose game.

i doubt that...hes all talk very little action...MLSE would have to double security just for him!!

Red Skies At Night
09-23-2009, 03:56 PM

Make that 3 of us then... when I read the name Bill Nelson I thought "he can't be talking about" ... but oh, yes he was. His solo stuff was pretty good too.

Sorry, back on topic... Anselmi said...

Chevy
09-23-2009, 06:50 PM
i doubt that...hes all talk very little action...MLSE would have to double security just for him!!

I don't think he has been to any pro sporting event in quite some time. Puzzling, but that's him.

Redcoe15
09-23-2009, 07:20 PM

Fuck him! If McCown ever shows up at an important soccer match, it would be considered the seventh sign of the apacolypse.

Macksam
09-23-2009, 09:28 PM
I was impressed with how Anselmi answered McCown. He certainly knew how to keep the interview on track.

McCown is obviously playing a role in his "hatred" of soccer. You can tell he has a lot of knowledge of the sport, knows the teams and the issues, and has even been following what is happening with the TFC he pretends "not to care" about.
Yeah, McCown wasn't even that bad. Sure, he had his usual comments, but it came off in a sarcastic, joking kind of way. It was like he was making a satire of himself.

Oldtimer
09-24-2009, 07:04 AM
and he said 17,000 people on the waiting list

He also said that was a "real" number because they are buying tickets when they can.