PDA

View Full Version : It's Called Football - Jason De Vos on TFC, CSA

It's Called Football
09-21-2009, 11:38 PM
Former Canadian international and now CBC commentator Jason de Vos joins It's Called Football to discuss Toronto FC's form on the road, gives some very honest opinions on their back four and gets into what needs changing in the CSA.

Daniel Squizzato, from Some Canadian Guys, fills in for Ben Rycroft as he tries to get It's Called Folk gigs in New York. (http://canadiansoccerblog.ca/2009/09/16/the-reserve-squad-its-called-football-hosts-to-start-folk-parody-band/)

We also get into the new 5 ref system being tested by UEFA, MLS' decision to shut down during the World Cup and the evolving playoff picture.

Enjoy
http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/blog/post/317812

Subscribe to It's Called Football on iTunes (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=301350624)
... because soon the video version will be available there too

Super
09-22-2009, 01:12 AM
Another fantastic show, guys. I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it, and so many wonderful points made throughout as well. One beef though: please stop saying "soccer" on a show called "It's called Football". ;) Call me a purist ass, but I just cringe every time I hear that word. Other than that: love it! Keep up the great work!

Shakes McQueen
09-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Another fantastic show, guys. I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it, and so many wonderful points made throughout as well. One beef though: please stop saying "soccer" on a show called "It's called Football". ;) Call me a purist ass, but I just cringe every time I hear that word. Other than that: love it! Keep up the great work!

Purity doesn't really enter into it. The game is called soccer in North America - that is the official term on these shores.

Though I agree, using the term soccer is ironic, given the name of the podcast.

Anyway, good episode guys. But again - the music, if you can even call it that, is terrible, and overly long. I know you've relayed this complain already though Duane. :)

- Scott

Oldtimer
09-22-2009, 10:25 AM
I really like the show, I listen to it via the podcast.

One comment about the podcast, though. Why the crap music between the segments? I presume it's to cover the time taken by advertisements. Why not shorten the podcast with just a very short musical intro to each segment? That's what the FAN590 soccer show's podcast does. It's much better, and will shorten your bandwidth when pushing podcasts.

squizz
09-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Hey, who's that guy who was there instead of Rycroft? He was great!

Dub Narcotic
09-22-2009, 07:59 PM
De Vos is a real asset to Canadian soccer, educated and well spoken. Although, I think he gets too wrapped up in TFC games and forgets to talk sometimes.

It's Called Football
09-22-2009, 11:53 PM
So I gather you guys like the music but not the footie talk...

We're working on changing the audio only version up to give it a better feel. Please bare with us - it will be much, much better.

Also adding the video version to iTunes in the next few weeks for those of you who are so inclined. And the regular video will still be available to those who don't ipod.

If you have any other suggestions or requests for guests please have at it. We're happy to oblige.

Cheers

King Jeff
09-23-2009, 05:26 AM
Best MLS-focused podcast there is, although this week's show wasn't quite the same without Rycroft playing the straight man.

KUTGW, guys!

Red CB Toronto
09-23-2009, 05:40 AM
So I gather you guys like the music but not the footie talk...

We're working on changing the audio only version up to give it a better feel. Please bare with us - it will be much, much better.

Also adding the video version to iTunes in the next few weeks for those of you who are so inclined. And the regular video will still be available to those who don't ipod.

If you have any other suggestions or requests for guests please have at it. We're happy to oblige.

Cheers

Good to hear, are we ever going to get the pre and post game shows back, also what ever happened to the show being done at some of the local bars downtown, I know the one was done at Football Factory and it was said there would be more at some of the supporter bars/pubs, any updates would be great, love the show.

SweetOwnGoal
09-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Hey, who's that guy who was there instead of Rycroft? He was great!

Don't know. We found him begging for change at the bus terminal.

SweetOwnGoal
09-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Good to hear, are we ever going to get the pre and post game shows back, also what ever happened to the show being done at some of the local bars downtown, I know the one was done at Football Factory and it was said there would be more at some of the supporter bars/pubs, any updates would be great, love the show.

Trust us...we want to bring those back. For a lot of reasons that we can't really get into on a public forum, they won't likely happen again to next year.

But expansion -- big expansion, even -- of the show is planned.
Let me throw this out there:
What type of material do you want us to look at in the MLS off-season? Keep it MLS focused? Or up the Europe content?

jabbronies
09-23-2009, 10:56 AM
What type of material do you want us to look at in the MLS off-season? Keep it MLS focused? Or up the Europe content?

I think a mix of both.
MLS is why we are here. We should keep up with the happenings of our league. Unfortunatly, there may not be enough MLS news in the off season to keep the hunger satisfied.

I think the Euro content should fill up the rest of the content. We don't really have comprehensive coverage of it here in Canada. It would be good to have our own program that fills this void.

Super
09-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Purity doesn't really enter into it. The game is called soccer in North America - that is the official term on these shores.

Though I agree, using the term soccer is ironic, given the name of the podcast.

Yup - and that was my point too. I'm fine with "soccer" anywhere else. But again, it's minor, just couldn't help myself from pointing it out.

Red CB Toronto
09-23-2009, 11:32 AM
In the off-season, I would a "Lower Division Club of the Week" feature, a Conference National/League Two type, give a look into that would be great, I had the opportunity to attend a few lower division games earlier this year in the UK and it was quite a bit of fun.

I would continue with some MLS coverage as it warrants it, maybe some sort of TFC segment to keep it out there.

Dub Narcotic
09-23-2009, 11:40 AM
I only care about the NA scene (in your podcast). European soccer already has approximately eighteen gazillion websites, tv shows and podcasts that cover it in some way. I will probably not listen after the MLS season is over, which is not a slight on your podcast, but just representative of what I am interested in.

jloome
09-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Trust us...we want to bring those back. For a lot of reasons that we can't really get into on a public forum, they won't likely happen again to next year.

But expansion -- big expansion, even -- of the show is planned.
Let me throw this out there:

I'd suggest there are ways to up the overseas content but still keep that focussed on MLS as well, such as profiling players who've gone overseas andhow they're performing; profiling prospects in leagues of similar stature/size to MLS; adding in commentary on the odd big cup game or league tie.

Red CB Toronto
09-23-2009, 11:59 AM
I only care about the NA scene (in your podcast). European soccer already has approximately eighteen gazillion websites, tv shows and podcasts that cover it in some way. I will probably not listen after the MLS season is over, which is not a slight on your podcast, but just representative of what I am interested in.

That is why a suggested a feature profiling a lower division team each week, one that everyday people would not know much about, I had the great opportunity in January to attend Fulham at Kettering Town in the fourth round of the FA Cup. Kettering Town was one of only two non-league teams to make the fourth round.

Pigfynn
09-23-2009, 12:05 PM
My suggestion for the off season:

I love pre season hype. After a long cold winter with no BMO Field afternoons I want all the MLS/TFC info about pre season trades, camps, games. Rumours are great too, I don't care some of you will say rumours are a waste of time, but they make the off season exciting and really ramp up the excitement of the coming new season.

So someone down in Charlston would be awesome...not sure it's realistic though

Pigfynn
09-23-2009, 12:09 PM
Oh, I also think it's really important to remember that the off season is really the best time for your show (if you have something to report on) because during the season everyone is involved with daily news updates for the club/league, but in the off months WE STARVE! fill the void gentlemen.

CoachGT
09-23-2009, 12:29 PM
My suggestion for the off season:

I love pre season hype. After a long cold winter with no BMO Field afternoons I want all the MLS/TFC info about pre season trades, camps, games. Rumours are great too, I don't care some of you will say rumours are a waste of time, but they make the off season exciting and really ramp up the excitement of the coming new season.

So someone down in Charlston would be awesome...not sure it's realistic though

We've got enough people down in Charleston that we should be able to do some sort of unofficial "report" for something like this - it's not like the players and coaches are not accessible.

dupont
09-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Finally got some time to listen to the podcast. Very good and another great choice of guest. Keep em coming!