09-21-2009, 10:28 PM
http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/wizards-stadium.jpg

http://www.tpbphoto.com/photos/651689657_gb98H-M.jpg

Cost: $215 million

SilverSamurai
09-21-2009, 10:36 PM

What is that a water park or something to the right of the pitch?

Dust2
09-21-2009, 10:44 PM
http://www.mls-rumors.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/651691156_5XJhK-M.jpg

Taken from BigSoccer (KC front office guy posting)

Hey guys: long time – no post. Sorry about that.

Anyway, one of the great pleasures working for this organization is the passion you, our fans, have for the club. There seem to be enough questions about these images and why we even showed them, that it warranted a short explanation. Unfortunately, that’s not possible. Once I get started talking about the design process, it’s hard to stop…so apologies in advance for the long post.

One of the design tools utilized by our architects at POPULOUS is a 3D modeling software called SketchUp. The images Thad and Mike have posted are from SketchUp. We aren’t using it as a rendering program, but simple as a tool to study the design as it progresses. We use it to change the size and shape of element, measure spatial relationships, and most importantly, walk through or even go inside spaces to get a good understanding for size and feel of rooms or concourses. We also use it to understand what that the sightlines look like from any point in the building. It’s really a pretty cool tool. It speeds up the design process by allowing us to work with our architects to advance and resolve design issues in real time (as opposed to talking about it, waiting for the architect to go back and draws it, then see it the next week).

The images we showed are simply snapshots in time of the design on that day. We actually debated whether to even show them. The challenge is they are not detailed, and certainly not final. And with some areas we like how things are working out but in other areas we have already identified issues where we need to continue to refine or even change the design from what these images show. But we know we’ve kept you waiting for a long time (too long to most of you) for views of the Hillcrest Road stadium so we thought we would try to pay you back by giving you an “insiders view” of the evolutionary of the design - all the way from beginning concepts, to final design and then through construction.

Our goal has always been to build the best MLS stadium in the country. Neither lack of time nor a challenging site will change that goal. But “best” is subjective, so here’s what it means to us:

The fan experience for every single price range is second to none, not just in KC but anywhere, anytime, anyplace.
The value per the cost of the experience is judged to be to be the best in KC.
The design creates an intimate, loud and intimidating atmosphere to build a true home field advantage.
The players are provided the best facilities in which to perform and as a result this serves to attract the very best players to KC.
We create a facility with enough revenue generating opportunities to ensure the team is profitable for the long term.
And finally, the design needs to help grow the game.

As you can see many of these goals go well beyond the “architecture” of the stadium. And that’s really the point of what we are working so hard to create.

Anyone can build a generic Euro-style stadium, some of which are really cool, by the way. But we’re not in Europe. Our culture is different, as is our country’s knowledge of the game, and the understanding of what it means to “be a soccer fan”. American’s expectations of fan experience and amenities are different, and our building codes and even laws are different. Even within our fan base, we have a diverse following that attends for many different reasons. And every reason is valid and important for us to satisfy with the design.

In short, we think an authentic American soccer stadium recognizes all of these issues and successfully addresses every one of them.

Here are a couple of elements where we thought you might like to hear what we’re thinking:

The Cauldron - Designed for a capacity of 2,000, it occupies the entire north end and continues south along the east (non suite) stand past the outside edge of the penalty box. The section is about 9 rows deep. One of the reasons for this is that we’ve listened as you shared the challenge of organizing the many different groups into one and get everyone singing together. We’re hoping this size and layout helps solve that. The section is “L” shaped to allow for a better opportunity for call and response chants. On the east side the seating is designed with a different rake and separated from the seating above it, this will allow the entire section to stand and not block the view of those sitting behind the section. And yes the north end has a roof above, but it is not part of the main roof. This stand takes its cue from the old English stands with its own intimate roof covering. We are trying to make it function like a band shell, to amplify and focus the “music” toward the rest of the bowl. And yes, there is a second video board planned within your view. It just won’t be as big as the main one above you.

Cauldron Club – Our vision for this is to create a club where the most passionate fans have a true home of your own. It operates as an exclusive club with its own entrance, dedicated indoor and outdoor club space complete with bars and food stands. It opens directly into the Cauldron seating. One of the highlights is a massive BBQ grill area. We plan to partner with a local grocery to offer ready-to-grill meats at the same cost you would pay if you bought in store and brought it with you. You will be able to “grill your own” or our master grillers (think Sam and Chad) will be happy to do it for you. Then of course there are the beverage options. Our Drop Kick Ale will be served from the cask as it was originally envisioned when we created it with the fine folks from the Weston Brewing Company. But other fine beers will be standard, Guinness comes to mind as a start, but it’s really up to you to let us know what you like to drink. For the connoisseurs we’re committed to have what you want, for the price conscious, again, we plan to price it comparable to the store -bought.

With food and drink now in hand, next envision the great hall filled with long communal tables, similar to a Bavarian Beer Hall during Oktoberfest, next add in plenty of flat screens, and great sound system for live and recorded music. Our goal is to make this the best support space in soccer, anywhere in the world. This is our vision of what we want to do in these areas. Now give us some feedback. What do you like, what have we forgotten?

Now on to the roof. Like the rest of the design, it’s a work in progress, with much refinement still to come. From our perspective, our roof must satisfy many objectives, with two of the most important being holding in, amplifying and directing the sound, and creating a sense of intimacy for the bowl. But is also must offer protection from the elements, whether it be the sun or rain. Although nothing short of an dome will protect us from a horizontal sleet storm like we had on April 5th ! Above the stage end it must be high enough and structurally reinforced to support sound and light rigging. The SW corner also needs to be higher to allow pitch views from the hotel bar and super suites above it. We agree, the east stand roof as represented is too high. We’ve already directed our architects to lower it so it better achieves goals 1 & 2. Aesthetically it is envisioned to glow at night and functional must still be semi-transparent to allow enough sunlight to grow a world-class 75-yard x 120-yard natural grass pitch.

This is just a start, there’s the sports bar, restaurants, events plaza, stadium hotel, and field level club…and many other elements we will reveal as the process continues.

As for the “look” of the stadium, there’s a whole philosophy that is guiding the aesthetic, one that we have pushed our architects hard to develop. And as the authors of that philosophy, we will have them to present it directly at a later date. We think you will appreciate the thought behind it and that it helps to better understand not only how, but why the design will evolve the way it will over the coming months.

Hopefully it’s becoming clear that we approach our stadium differently from others and that the building is about so much more than just architecture. We’ve spent almost three years developing an our fan experience strategy, and we work daily with our deign team on ways to execute it. Because that is what we hope will distinguish our stadium, and help grow the beautiful game to the level we all want it to achieve.

Thanks for reading.

Go Wizards,
DF

Look like there will be a 2000 seats Supporters Section for the supporters.

Dust2
09-21-2009, 10:54 PM
What is that a water park or something to the right of the pitch?

The stadium will be in a midst of a large development that already took place. Google map Kansas Speedway and zoom in. It's the empty space between Village Parkway and State Ave from the google map.

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansascity/stories/2009/09/07/daily21.html

The Unified Government Commission unanimously endorsed an agreement to bring a stadium for the Kansas City Wizards (http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/related_content.html?topic=Kansas%20City%20Wizards ) and offices for Cerner Corp. (http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/gen/Cerner_Corp._7FFCADE0367E4B73A08B7D0819611F7C.html ) to Wyandotte County.
Although the Wizards stadium provides flash to the proposal, the prospect of perhaps 4,000 new Cerner employees working in 600,000 square feet of office space scored with county officials.
The project would be the largest single job-creation program in the history of Wyandotte County, said Joe Reardon, mayor of the Unified Government of Wyandotte County/Kansas City, Kan. He said the project would double the amount of office space in Kansas City, Kan., and achieve a goal of attracting health care jobs.
Key to attracting the $414 million project is a plan to use proceeds from existing sales tax revenue, or STAR, bonds.
In addition, $173 million in subordinate bonds would be sold at the end of this year to support the development.

Plans call for the project to move quickly in Kansas City, Kan., with groundbreaking next year and the soccer stadium, offices and some other components up as early as 2011.
The Wizards stadium, valued at $202.7 million, would be built on land owned by Nebraska Furniture Mart (http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/gen/Nebraska_Furniture_Mart_28120649EDC14CFB935B80FC6F 6EB44C.html) near the Kansas Speedway. The Cerner offices have a price tag of nearly $150 million, a proposed hotel comes in at slightly more than $14 million and a soccer field complex for tournaments and practice is set at $47.7 million.
In a release, the Unified Government said that public subsidies would include the $173 million in new revenue bonds for the stadium and a request for $20.5 million in state tax credits for the office campus. Nearly $221 million in private funding would be put into the project.

The stadium is $203 mil not $215 mil (my mistake). KC Wizard is owned by 2 Cerners co-founders. Hence, the tie-in.

Cashcleaner
09-21-2009, 11:00 PM

http://www.tpbphoto.com/photos/651689657_gb98H-M.jpg

Wow, would you look at that? They also have A ROOF. :cuss:

Anyway, stadium looks pretty sharp. I hope it can bring in the sorta crowds they need down there, because if it doesn't how long will the franchise stay around? The Wizards fans I ran into this season seem to have their shit together, they just need more numbers. Really nice stadium though. I hope they can pull it off.

twistedchinaman
09-22-2009, 12:39 AM
Nice stadium -- will they have a team playing in it when it actually opens?

Super
09-22-2009, 12:56 AM
What a gorgeous stadium. I'm obviously jealous, but I guess we're kinda stuck with the stadium we have due to the ownership situation and everything. It's sad, really. I have a feeling we might never get a roof - and as a result will never truly be able to experience the very best atmosphere possible at BMO. It's a shame, really, especially considering the fact that the atmosphere has been the most marketable aspect of this club - and yet TFC obviously doesn't want to improve on it by simply putting a roof over the south end. It's odd and reminds me that this club is not run by football people.

FluSH
09-22-2009, 12:58 AM
KC best roadtrip ever...

Cashcleaner
09-22-2009, 02:56 AM
What a gorgeous stadium. I'm obviously jealous, but I guess we're kinda stuck with the stadium we have due to the ownership situation and everything. It's sad, really. I have a feeling we might never get a roof - and as a result will never truly be able to experience the very best atmosphere possible at BMO. It's a shame, really, especially considering the fact that the atmosphere has been the most marketable aspect of this club - and yet TFC obviously doesn't want to improve on it by simply putting a roof over the south end. It's odd and reminds me that this club is not run by football people.

Same with me. I look at all these new digs being built by clubs that would die to get the sort of attendance numbers we do and lament. TFC pulls in almost as much cash as the Galaxy, and yet we're the ones currently sitting in a half-built stadium. Sure, we're in a great location, but the facility itself is a letdown. How long will it take before we get grass? How long will it take to expand the seating? And to be blunt, I don't see a roof in the foreseeable future. If ever.

Toronto FC has been making some very positive strides lately, and I do see some changes being made, but at the end of the day we are being surpassed by other clubs who are operating on a fraction of the revenue and support we enjoy.

KC best roadtrip ever...

I trust I'll be seeing you down there in 2010, FluSH? :D

rocker
09-22-2009, 09:04 AM
ahhh... another suburban stadium.. sigh... hope they can draw people from the actual city.

I know KC is all suburbs, but this site is pretty far away.

james
09-22-2009, 07:54 PM
We are very lucky to be one of the few teams that actually play in the City rather then the Suburbs.

Are grass is comming, TFC has deffinitly been trying to get real grass in the passed months. It will happen!!

Are stadium isnt that bad, its better then playing in Seattle i think, at least, dont have to hide the upper seats, or play in a college stadium like Houston or San Jose.

In some ways we could be lucky how are stadium looks now. I mean its kinda crappy, but thats how so many Europe stadiums were, and were added and renovated over the years. And thats why some Euro stadiums are cool, sometimes 1 stand is way bigger then another or some stands much older then others. I prefer the old stadiums renovated over the years then the new stadiums being built in Europe today, many of those stadiums are losing the great atmosphere they once had. Its just more a matter of when will they renovate BMO? and how? will they add a North Stand? Add a 2nd deck to the South Stand? fill in the corners with seats? add a roof? it could be one of the best stadium one day. Just how long will we have to wait?

i think also even without building a roof are atmosphere could still be inproved alot by just closing in the corners with seats and adding a 2nd deck to the south stand would trap the noise in more then having the corners and have the noise blow away. There are quite alot of stadiums around the world that dont have roofs that are still dam loud. Exspecially in Argentina.

james
09-22-2009, 08:11 PM
Kansas also tho seriously need a new name...the Wizards :picard::nonod: please get a more respectable name. Worst name and crest in the league!

Canary Canuck
09-22-2009, 10:22 PM
More pics

http://www.tpbphoto.com/photos/651690625_KeMxX-M.jpg
http://www.tpbphoto.com/photos/651690413_oD5iF-M.jpg
http://www.tpbphoto.com/photos/651689928_2r5sX-M.jpg
http://www.tpbphoto.com/photos/651690223_VuLWL-M.jpg

Cashcleaner
09-22-2009, 10:44 PM
ahhh... another suburban stadium.. sigh... hope they can draw people from the actual city.

I know KC is all suburbs, but this site is pretty far away.

To be fair though, the site the Wizards are at now is bisected by two major highways and they have a dedicated bus line that goes out to the Legends Centre.

greatwhitenorf
09-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Looks like they've got a bunch of great ideas and are looking to improve on whatever good things are happening out there in MLS or elsewhere. They've survived the soulless experience of playing out of Arrowhead's NFL dimensions and are coping well at present with life in a baseball park. I wish them well.

james
09-23-2009, 01:03 AM
Looks like they've got a bunch of great ideas and are looking to improve on whatever good things are happening out there in MLS or elsewhere. They've survived the soulless experience of playing out of Arrowhead's NFL dimensions and are coping well at present with life in a baseball park. I wish them well.

oh man arrowhead was brutal, NFL gridlines, 5,000 fans in a 80,000 seat stadium....the ball park aint so bad, just the seatting setup for soccer is all wierd, but still better then arrowhead.

james
09-23-2009, 01:06 AM
To be fair though, the site the Wizards are at now is bisected by two major highways and they have a dedicated bus line that goes out to the Legends Centre.

not everyone has cars. And alot of people probably like to drink at games to. Hopefully they have many busses in different locations throughout the city and suburbs. Or even better is if its on a train route. 1 key way to get fans to the game is good transit.

CretanBull
09-23-2009, 01:30 AM
not everyone has cars. And alot of people probably like to drink at games to. Hopefully they have many busses in different locations throughout the city and suburbs. Or even better is if its on a train route. 1 key way to get fans to the game is good transit.

Honestly, having been there - everyone in KC has a car (or truck). There are virtually no buses, no taxis (other than at the airport, I didn't see a single one) and not public transportation to speak of. Everyone drives.

TFC_Junky
09-23-2009, 07:52 AM
KC best roadtrip ever...
For sure! Wicked time in KC.

Shaughno
09-23-2009, 08:23 AM

Yeah you'd actually be surprised at the current (and proposed) location. It's a hotspot commercial area and is rapidly expanding. They already have a dedicated bus line that goes right to the commercial center and the speedway. It's not like they are moving the stadium anywhere, literally they're upgrading from a minor baseball stadium to a proper SSS that is literally hundreds of meters down the road.

Cashcleaner
09-23-2009, 12:51 PM

Remember, this is the midwest we're talking about. Subways and light systems like we have in Toronto, New York, or Chicago are few and far between. Frankly, almost everyone has a car, at least a lot more than over here in the East.

Dirk Diggler
09-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Remember, this is the midwest we're talking about. Subways and light systems like we have in Toronto, New York, or Chicago are few and far between. Frankly, almost everyone has a car, at least a lot more than over here in the East.

Yeah ... the urban landscape for a lot of these midwest cities is significantly different compared to the cities you mentioned. It isn't as simple as putting a stadium in the downtown core.

C.Ronaldo
09-23-2009, 03:10 PM
they are rural cities

imagine Mississauga was the biggest city, would puting a stadium next to square one make much sense? (even though id love a usl team there)

111_DrummerBoy
09-23-2009, 03:51 PM
I trust I'll be seeing you down there in 2010, FluSH? :D

Does this mean you're going to try to make it to Michelle's lounge in 2010? :P

Cashcleaner
09-23-2009, 10:49 PM
^ Fuck Yeah!!!