PDA

View Full Version : TFC has a playoff game this weekend

ensco
09-21-2009, 06:43 AM
TFC has a playoff game this weekend. Win it or we're done. Draw is not enough. (Odds of winning three in a row, in a league/sport where a third of the games are ties, is very, very low.)

Go for broke.

1) Play the Gambians.
2) Bring back Dichio. Unretire him.

felipe
09-21-2009, 08:02 AM
Finally! A realistic post on these boards...we should also grab Forrest and De Vos out of the studio booths while we're at it -

(not to play them mind, just to get them off the air....)

I kid, I kid, (I quite like both of them)

BoltonTFC
09-21-2009, 08:30 AM
Dichio is gone, for the love of God let it go. As much as we all love Danny D, they didn't exactly win the cup with him did they?

Pigfynn
09-21-2009, 09:32 AM
^^Ya!

:rolleyes:

Belfast_Boy
09-21-2009, 09:37 AM
Finally! A realistic post on these boards...we should also grab Forrest and De Vos out of the studio booths while we're at it -

(not to play them mind, just to get them off the air....)

I kid, I kid, (I quite like both of them)

LOL, Forrest is probably a really nice guy. but I still watch games with the sound off!

Chewy Unikronik
09-21-2009, 09:39 AM
It's already over.

MFG1
09-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Somebody forgot to tell the team that realistically every game is a playoff game especially after hhmmm ooh idont know JULY???

Kaz
09-21-2009, 08:29 PM
realisticly if we tie I will still have hope as wins against SJ NY are very possible (though not a sure thing) and RSL is also very possible.

So the way I look at it is a Win is the best outcome as always, a Loss is the end of any playoff chances a Tie will require three wins.

either way we can not lose any more games. (though mathematically we can lose one if we win the other three, (so long as other games go our way)

It's doable, all hope is not lost yet.

Derko
09-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Tie the bootstraps up and win the next 3 games, damn it. Play like you want to win!!!

Brooker
09-21-2009, 09:40 PM
I smell a win. You know it's coming.

Zeke_Jones
09-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Last week was a playoff game, this week is the maple leafs all over again, prayers and mathematics

MartinUtd
09-21-2009, 09:58 PM
I think 8 or 9 points over the next four games should do it. Whether we get those points is up to debate. I'm still holding out for the miracle finish, we did it in Montreal.

twistedchinaman
09-22-2009, 12:35 AM
Win all damn four. Nothing else will be acceptable or tolerable.

drek
09-22-2009, 03:40 AM
Win all damn four. Nothing else will be acceptable or tolerable.

+1..

Oldtimer
09-22-2009, 07:12 AM
Since DC didn't win their last match, we're still in the running. Realistically, it's DC we're going to be fighting for that last playoff spot.

ensco
09-22-2009, 07:18 AM
Since Cummins' outburst at Molinaro, TFC have 1 point from 4 road games.

Just throw men forward, for christ sakes. I don't care what the formation is. What have we got to lose?

I'm tired of the 4-5-1. Really tired of it. Just sick of it.

Pookie
09-22-2009, 08:45 AM
.... this week is the maple leafs all over again, prayers and mathematics

You've just united Church and Science in one sentence. History shows that when they work together anything is... never mind.

DangerRed
09-22-2009, 09:32 AM
This weekend will likely bring yet another loss. We will then win two and lose our last one. We are not making the playoffs. Because there are so few games, you need to show up as a team to each and every one. Until we start doing that, enjoy the long offseason.

mclaren
09-22-2009, 09:40 AM
guys, we're out of it - honesty is the best policy.

Beach_Red
09-22-2009, 09:53 AM

Should we tank the rest of the games to get a higher draft pick?

ensco
09-22-2009, 10:32 AM

Untrue. We're likely out of it, but only because we're likely to lose on Saturday.

If we win Saturday, things totally change. Totally. We'll be 50/50 to make it, per sportsclubstats.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/MLS/East/TorontoFC.html

But we must win. A draw does nothing.

uncle p
09-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Its gonna be the same story as the rest of the year, we're gonna blow the doors off Chicago, giving us all hope, and follow up with a complete stinker in VS San Jose which will close the door on our playoff hopes

Chewy Unikronik
09-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Should we tank the rest of the games to get a higher draft pick?
No, but any belief that the team is going to suddenly run the rest of the table is not very realistic. We're already in "next year" mode.

jloome
09-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Brian McBride vs. Nick Garcia? I shudder to think.

ensco
09-22-2009, 11:09 AM
Brian McBride vs. Nick Garcia? I shudder to think.

At the risk of repeating myself, play the Gambians.

jloome
09-22-2009, 11:15 AM
Oh yeah, there's no doubt in my mind that one of the biggest issues we face is a lack of heart among the first teamers, and a lack of composure. Technical skill be damned; when we've played younger players with hunger and something to prove, it has generally helped us this year.

--------------Frei----------------
-----Attakora--Gomez--Serioux----
Wynne------------------------Sanyang
--------Cronin--Guevara--JDG---------
----------DeRo-------Gerba------------

Oldtimer
09-22-2009, 11:17 AM
Untrue. We're likely out of it, but only because we're likely to lose on Saturday.

If we win Saturday, things totally change. Totally. We'll be 50/50 to make it, per sportsclubstats.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/MLS/East/TorontoFC.html

But we must win. A draw does nothing.

As Cummins and the players have said, it's up to TFC whether they make the playoffs or not.

Bars92
09-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Bobby McMahon on Fox Soccer Report was all over TFC on throwing JDG into the game at this point in the season. I think I would have to agree -- while i'm hopeful for next season, it may actually hurt team chemistry at this point.

JonO
09-22-2009, 11:35 AM
Oh yeah, there's no doubt in my mind that one of the biggest issues we face is a lack of heart among the first teamers, and a lack of composure. Technical skill be damned; when we've played younger players with hunger and something to prove, it has generally helped us this year.

--------------Frei----------------
-----Attakora--Gomez--Serioux----
Wynne------------------------Sanyang
--------Cronin--Guevara--JDG---------
----------DeRo-------Gerba------------
If Sanyang is still fasting I would leave him off...

Edit: Never mind. Ramadan done

mighty_torontofc_2008
09-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Bobby McMahon on Fox Soccer Report was all over TFC on throwing JDG into the game at this point in the season. I think I would have to agree -- while i'm hopeful for next season, it may actually hurt team chemistry at this point.

Team chemistry? we have not had that all season why worry about it Now? Lets use JDG with as many differnet players up front to see who
works and who doesnt..the last four matches we can experiment on next seasons roster and see who should remain with the club in 2010 and who should not.

Shakes McQueen
09-22-2009, 12:04 PM
At the risk of repeating myself, play the Gambians.

I agree with Gomez, but I don't see where Sanyang would fit into the starting XI, with JDG now on board. Perhaps in place of Cronin, but certainly not in place of Guevara or DeRo.

I also think Fellinga should get a start before the end of the season. He's probably going to be our future at LB, and I'd like a better look at what we've got.

- Scott

DangerRed
09-22-2009, 12:19 PM
Nick Garcia is currently this team's single largest liability. Cummins I think is getting to be a close second, though say what you will, the coach can only do so much.

And I'm sorry, but for all the experience Nicky apparently has, he's done a lot of dodgy tackling inside the box lately. Remember that the Miracle in Montreal would've been a clean sheet for us if not for that penalty he drew.

I don't care if Sir Alex Ferguson him fucking self was coaching the TFC, you can't make Garcia run faster even if you're a master tactician.

On Saturday, we'll again see our defence get chewed apart by Blanco & Co and we'll be having the exact same converstaion come Sunday morning.

CC, if you're watching, do NOT start Garcia. Please. You're breaking my fucking heart!!

RedRum
09-22-2009, 12:22 PM
Reading people thoughts thinking that 3 wins or 8 or 9 points is gonna cut it, you are delusional.

DC has 2 more points than us and also 4 games left. 3 homes games (SJ/Chivas/Columbus) and away at KC. They are going to get 3 wins out of that easy. Nothing less than 4 straight wins to close the season will put TFC through.

CoachGT
09-22-2009, 12:24 PM
I think 44 points will do it, but that means three wins and a draw, a tall order. But with who we've got left, there is a chance.

JonO
09-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Reading people thoughts thinking that 3 wins or 8 or 9 points is gonna cut it, you are delusional.

DC has 2 more points than us and also 4 games left. 3 homes games (SJ/Chivas/Columbus) and away at KC. They are going to get 3 wins out of that easy. Nothing less than 4 straight wins to close the season will put TFC through.
There is no such thing as an easy away win in this league, which means you things that the columbus and chivas match-up for DC is easy...

I'm not saying we're in, but at the same time, it's no gimme for DC either..

Bars92
09-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Team chemistry? we have not had that all season why worry about it Now? Lets use JDG with as many differnet players up front to see who
works and who doesnt..the last four matches we can experiment on next seasons roster and see who should remain with the club in 2010 and who should not.

Its very clear though that there is home TFC and road TFC, the team seems to have a lot more chemistry at home. I suppose the way they have played on the road, we really have nothing to lose by throwing De Guzman in there.:facepalm:

maninb
09-22-2009, 02:23 PM
Anyone know if Blanco is playing this weekend?

nimamalek
09-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Dichio is gone, for the love of God let it go. As much as we all love Danny D, they didn't exactly win the cup with him did they?

TFC's record first 2 years
15 wins, 30 losses, 15 draws

with Danny STARTING during that time
11 wins, 9 losses, 11 draws

no they didnt win the cup, but if he could have stayed healthy and was started when he was healthy they could have made the playoffs :)

Bars92
09-22-2009, 05:39 PM
^ Nothing more than a good luck charm.:o

GBV
09-25-2009, 07:07 AM

i don't buy it. we have the easiest (whatever that means) schedule of all the remaining teams. our remaining opponents have, on average, 28 points.
with n.e. and chiv each having six games left (and all the others four), ya gotta believe they're favoured to make it.
dc has three home games ... i like their chances. even though two of them are CHIV and CLB. their lone road game is at KC.

which leaves us, seattle, colorado and RSL.
colorado and seattle have just one game at home left each. three on the road.
seattle's next two are at n.e. and at clb.
not a stretch to say they could have zero points from those games.

RSL has the second easiest schedule left but if we bitch-slap them here . . .

those two PK points colorado got v san jose really hurt, though . . .

ManUtd4ever
09-25-2009, 08:10 AM
I don't expect a greater result than a draw against Chicago but I am confident that TFC can earn home field victories over San Jose and RSL, and a road victory against the Shite Bulls. It's a longshot, but 9-10 points might be enough to sneak into the playoffs by the last weekend of the schedule...

ArmenJBX
09-25-2009, 08:19 AM
IF we make playoffs, will there be any home games?

maninb
09-25-2009, 10:00 AM
IF we make playoffs, will there be any home games?

aren't MLS playoffs home & away????

Kaz
09-25-2009, 10:51 AM
Before the LA game I ran the numbers and came up with this as the most likely results with a 2 point margin of error. Colorado can be revised at 42 points with the draw with San Jose

_________projected
Columbus ___53*
Chicago ____ 47*
Houston ____ 47*
Chivas USA _ 46*
LA ________ 45*
New England _44*
Seattle _____ 44*
Colorado ____44* (42)
TFC________ 41
DC United____41
RSL ________ 41
Kansas City__ 34
FC Dallas____ 33
San Jose_____28
New York____ 23

Now this assumes 7 points from the last 5 games. That 2 wins and 1 tie.

Here is the fun part.. with Colorado dropping to to 42 points in the projection 1 extra point would put us in the play offs.

that means any of the follow combos will do as I think we beat the rapids in a tie breaker (in case of 2 wins and 2 ties)
4 wins
3 wins 1 tie
3 wins
2 wins 2 ties

Chicago isn't the game I'm worries about.. San Jose and New York are both rebounding those are going to be tough games.

A win this weekend or a tie are both positive results