PDA

View Full Version : 2009 GoTFC Supporters Cup

James Oliphant
09-21-2009, 12:04 AM
http://gotorontofc.com/jamey/trophy.jpg

Hey folks,

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have in fact been in touch with the club about getting this year's version of the Supporters Cup organized. We're in the process of hammering out date details now and will get back to you soon.

Tournament format is likely to be the same as the last couple years. 12 teams, group stage followed by two elimination rounds.

I'm hoping to have more details to you early this week so we can get this thing going full-steam. USector has a title to defend, after all. ;)

http://gotorontofc.com/jamey/campeones.jpg

Any questions/suggestions/concerns, email me:

james (at) gotorontofc (dot) com

CoachGT
09-21-2009, 05:30 AM
In Niagara we talked about the possibility of the teams winning the spring and fall tournaments as possible representatives for RPB, starting with this past fall tournament winners, Rollin Over Niagara Falls. I think that is a reasonable way to go about this, but it would be supject to the approval of the execs and membership (and agreement by the winning team). If I understand correctly, it is the same basic format (7v7) and now the teams are filled with members.

Any opposition to this?

pekduck
09-21-2009, 05:46 AM
No objection.

What about the second or third RPB team?

keem-o-sabi
09-21-2009, 06:35 AM
Well we hope we can have the honor of representing RPB with RWN :) The Blues will conquer all.

canadian_bhoy
09-21-2009, 06:37 AM
I think it's a great idea to have the winners of the Niagara tourney rep the group - perhaps with a ringer or two from the other RPB teams.

jabbronies
09-21-2009, 07:03 AM
Agreed, I love the idea of having previous winners rep the club like this. It gives more meaning to the other tounry's being played throughout the year.

Shaughno
09-21-2009, 07:22 AM
Do I get to play for Usector again this year? Or do you actually want me on one of the teams? :lol:

sulfur
09-21-2009, 09:12 AM
I like the idea of only those who are available for the Labour Day tournament being able to play.

I really do. :P

Razor
09-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Um...how about those that couldn't play in the LD tourney but still want to participate? :D

AL-MO
09-21-2009, 09:50 AM
Um...how about those that couldn't play in the LD tourney but still want to participate? :D

I don't think that is the only spot.

I'll let Rooney and co. figure out what spots we have and what we are going to do with them.

Phil
09-21-2009, 09:54 AM
Lets not all get our underwear in a knot.

I am collecting the information from James and then we will update the post.

romburgundy
09-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Perhaps a call up system might bring home some gold.
A scout in the stands at the fall and spring tourneys to make out a couple of teams.

AL-MO
09-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Perhaps a call up system might bring home some gold.
A scout in the stands at the fall and spring tourneys to make out a couple of teams.

LOL

Sounds a bit serious for my liking.

But if TRN comes back with Portugal FC players, we might have to fight fire with fire!

keem-o-sabi
09-21-2009, 11:27 AM
don't worry RWN will have a full squad to pick from for the first time it looks like, so we can take them down no problem. I'd actually stay in net for the entire time too instead of pretending to be any good on the field at all (sadly I realize I am terrible on the field..)

Rudi
09-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Do I get to play for Usector again this year? Or do you actually want me on one of the teams? :lol:
Who said you're good enough for us? :P

Rudi
09-21-2009, 11:44 AM
LOL

Sounds a bit serious for my liking.

But if TRN comes back with Portugal FC players, we might have to fight fire with fire!

don't worry RWN will have a full squad to pick from for the first time it looks like, so we can take them down no problem. I'd actually stay in net for the entire time too instead of pretending to be any good on the field at all (sadly I realize I am terrible on the field..)
Good. You guys stay focused on TRN. Don't worry about the SG that beat them... :D

wzhxvy
09-21-2009, 11:46 AM
For old times sake, can everyone who wants to play please post in this thread their previous numerous contributions to RPB and why they are deserving of representing RPB. Once everyone has done their share of self promotion/self pity, then I think we can move on to selecting the teams :-)

AL-MO
09-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Good. You guys stay focused on TRN. Don't worry about the SG that beat them... :D

Forgot about that. :p

yellowfellow
09-21-2009, 12:29 PM
I like the idea of having the fall cup winner rep RPB (since I am on RWN). Hehe!

Shaughno
09-21-2009, 12:30 PM
For old times sake, can everyone who wants to play please post in this thread their previous numerous contributions to RPB and why they are deserving of representing RPB. Once everyone has done their share of self promotion/self pity, then I think we can move on to selecting the teams :-)

I can state that I've played in every organized tournament or game that has included the RPB's to date. ;) (even if I wasn't on an RPB team LOL)

Anyone else? :lol:

Chicago - Year 1
Niagara - Year 1
Supporters Cup (indoor) - Year 1
Supporters Cup - Year 1
Chicago - Year 2
NE - Year 2
Supporters Cup - Year 2
Niagara - Year 2
Indoor - Year 3
Spring - Year 3
Athletes for Africa - Year 3
Niagara - Year 3
Supporters Cup - Year 3????? Of course! :lol:

Wagner
09-21-2009, 12:33 PM
I can state that I've played in every organized tournament or game that has included the RPB's to date. ;) (even if I wasn't on an RPB team LOL)

Chicago - Year 1
Niagara - Year 1
Supporters Cup - Year 1
Chicago - Year 2
NE - Year 2
Supporters Cup - Year 2
Niagara - Year 2
Indoor - Year 3
Spring - Year 3
Niagara - Year 3

I think I'm just behind you.
I've only missed a few on that list.

Rudi
09-21-2009, 12:33 PM
There have been three Supporters Cups to date: the original one at the Futsal Centre in Feb. '07, the first outdoor one at BMO in Fall of '07 and the 2008 edition in Fall of that year.

Shaughno
09-21-2009, 12:36 PM
There have been three Supporters Cups to date: the original one at the Futsal Centre in Feb. '07, the first outdoor one at BMO in Fall of '07 and the 2008 edition in Fall of that year.

Oh right... So I forgot to add one to the list. :lol:

MUFC_Niagara
09-21-2009, 01:11 PM
I personally like the idea of the winners of each of the tournaments officially representing the RPB. It's a great incentive for people to participate in one or both tournaments instead of simply showing up for the opportunity to play at BMO.

CoachGT
09-21-2009, 01:12 PM
And please bear in mind that in the past we've had two or three team entries, not just one.

MUFC_Niagara
09-21-2009, 01:12 PM
I like the idea of only those who are available for the Labour Day tournament being able to play.

I really do. :P

What about the spring tournament that was NOT on labour day weekend?

BC101
09-21-2009, 01:17 PM
What about the spring tournament that was NOT on labour day weekend?
That was just a regular weekend... Again winners of the two cups should go or in the case of spring it should be the 3rd place team. Since the winners and runners up weren't RPB.

Then you can have a 3rd team if you MUST comprised of those who only wanna play cos its at BMO or better yet people who actually make effort like shag a ho to play in RPB related events.

keem-o-sabi
09-21-2009, 03:30 PM
RWN was 3rd place there too, right? We won the indoor cup, the niagara cup in '08 & '09 and finished as a semi-finalist in the Spring tourney

keem-o-sabi
09-21-2009, 03:36 PM
and as long as it's not October 24th we're good.

James Oliphant
09-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Perhaps it'd be best to establish the qualification process NEXT YEAR, since this kind of talk will inevitably lead to someone feeling they've been left out unfairly.

After this tournament is done, set the standards for next year's spring and fall tourneys. Then everyone knows what they're getting into when they play in those tournaments.

James Oliphant
09-21-2009, 03:37 PM
and as long as it's not October 24th we're good.

That'd be an absolute last resort...we're well aware that people are heading down to Joisey.

keem-o-sabi
09-21-2009, 03:58 PM
smart man James, smart man :)

huphup
09-21-2009, 04:05 PM

Chicago - Year 1
Niagara - Year 1
Supporters Cup - Year 1
Chicago - Year 2
NE - Year 2
Supporters Cup - Year 2
Niagara - Year 2
Indoor - Year 3
Spring - Year 3
Niagara - Year 3

NYC?

I am in for RWN. Assuming RPB have 2 or 3 teams, it shouldn't be hard to put together some talented AND dedicated members.

TFC_Chris
09-21-2009, 04:18 PM
It would be great to represent the RPB with RWN at the Cup.
I'm in.

MUFC_Niagara
09-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Perhaps it'd be best to establish the qualification process NEXT YEAR, since this kind of talk will inevitably lead to someone feeling they've been left out unfairly.

After this tournament is done, set the standards for next year's spring and fall tourneys. Then everyone knows what they're getting into when they play in those tournaments.

That's fair....:scarf:

keem-o-sabi
09-21-2009, 04:36 PM
well i've been in (since I've known about the group at least)

NE Game Year 1 (oh wait I was playing for NE that game haha)
Niagara Cup Year 2
Supporters Cup Year 2
Indoor Cup Year 3
Spring Cup Year 3
Niagara Cup Year 3

I'm definitely not as cool as Shaughno, I guess coaching gets in the way ;)

Razor
09-21-2009, 06:05 PM

I like your suggestion.
I've played in a couple of tournaments and wouldn't want to miss out on this one.

pekduck
09-21-2009, 06:17 PM
i missed many tourneys... since they always happen during TFC away games.. and I'm more often than not traveling to watch the games... grr...

Red CB Toronto
09-21-2009, 06:45 PM
I would very much like to make my debut in this tourney, having never played in a Supporters Cup before whatever team I could join, how many entries are the RPB going to have, maybe we could have an open squad, that anyone could join until it is full.

BC101
09-21-2009, 07:10 PM
i missed many tourneys... since they always happen during TFC away games.. and I'm more often than not traveling to watch the games... grr...
But you are on a RPB team NOW and have played in the last two.

RWN was 3rd place there too, right? We won the indoor cup, the niagara cup in '08 & '09 and finished as a semi-finalist in the Spring tourney
Yeah I think you are right... Then the 4th place team...

Best solution... FOR now.. Next year spring and summer winners should go...

Rudi
09-21-2009, 07:17 PM
maybe we could have an open squad, that anyone could join until it is full.
Friendly bit of advice, I'd suggest that you guys do not do this again.

Roogsy
09-21-2009, 07:51 PM
Yeah I am not sure that would happen anyways. We had more than enough teams at the RPB Tourney to represent in the Supporters Cup.

CoachGT
09-22-2009, 08:52 AM
Little Red would be up for this if there is space and interest from a team. And she's been to every tourney and event that I have.

Wagner
09-22-2009, 08:57 AM
What about sending RWN and the RPB A4A team??

pekduck
09-22-2009, 08:58 AM
But you are on a RPB team NOW and have played in the last two.

still missed supporter's cups since i was traveling to watching the game away....

wait... does that mean your team has a open spot and can take me as a bench warmer?:D

well, yeah, i want to participate in this year's version, so if any one has an open spot, i volunteer :rolleyes:

Shaughno
09-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Little Red would be up for this if there is space and interest from a team. And she's been to every tourney and event that I have.

Coach, she's got my vote. I'll keep you informed on the progress ;)

Chicago - Year 1
Niagara - Year 1
Supporters Cup - Year 1
Chicago - Year 2
NE - Year 2
NYC - Year 2
Supporters Cup - Year 2
Niagara - Year 2
Indoor - Year 3
Spring - Year 3
Niagara - Year 3

NYC?

I am in for RWN. Assuming RPB have 2 or 3 teams, it shouldn't be hard to put together some talented AND dedicated members.

Good call, added. :lol:

What about sending RWN and the RPB A4A team??

Yeah I'm sure we'll work something out.

James Oliphant
09-24-2009, 05:12 PM
NYC was fun. Pretty impressive walking out of the tunnel into Giants Stadium.

And one of our teams almost took that tournament, too.

MUFC_Niagara
09-24-2009, 10:31 PM
Shaughno.....count me in!?!?!

keem-o-sabi
09-25-2009, 07:07 AM
well if we can all play, RWN will crush all

106-12
09-25-2009, 07:42 AM
RPB should put an all star team to try to win the cup and put our name on it . Just an idea.

Rudi
09-25-2009, 11:31 AM
well if we can all play, RWN will crush all
:hand:

keem-o-sabi
09-26-2009, 01:45 PM
I just like having to make you post rudi ;)

Juanito
09-29-2009, 08:10 AM
Rollin' over Niagara or whatever they call themselves this µs SHOULD be one of the representatives. If we want our tourney's to mean something, then they deserve it.

Personally, the other two teams should be "RPB ringers" ....

With that being said ... I'm throwing my name in the goal keeper hat!!

sulfur
09-29-2009, 09:35 AM
Still, if we wanted our tournaments to mean something, it should be decided before, not during or after.

Shaughno
09-29-2009, 09:36 AM
^^ I think it's a fair request to have the Tourney winners get a team spot. There are 3 available for the RPB's, so why not?

keem-o-sabi
09-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Has the date been posted yet? Anymore info. I agree with Shaughno and El Juan haha.

Rudi
10-01-2009, 01:00 PM
It's on, bitches!

James Oliphant
10-01-2009, 01:05 PM
We have a date.

Sunday, October 18th, 9:30am - 5pm. First games kickoff at 10am.

This is at Lamport for now, but that may change depending on the schedule for the installation of the bubble at Lamport. There's some infrastructure work that has to be done there ahead of the bubble's move, so we may get bumped to BMO.

MUFC_Niagara
10-01-2009, 04:48 PM
We have a date.

Sunday, October 18th, 9:30am - 5pm. First games kickoff at 10am.

This is at Lamport for now, but that may change depending on the schedule for the installation of the bubble at Lamport. There's some infrastructure work that has to be done there ahead of the bubble's move, so we may get bumped to BMO.

Playing at Lamport will keep some of the glory hunter's away...thanks for all the work on this James....believe me, I know what it takes!

icecoldbeer
10-01-2009, 08:04 PM
F me, I want in on this, stupid 1/2 marathon!!!

James Oliphant
10-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Playing at Lamport will keep some of the glory hunter's away...thanks for all the work on this James....believe me, I know what it takes!

That you do, my man...that you do.

Thankfully, the club is being VERY helpful. As with last year, they're booking and paying for the field rental, and they'll be bringing in referees as well. Those are HUGE parts of the job done right there.

King Tut
10-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Will the draw take place on the day of the tournament?

keem-o-sabi
10-02-2009, 06:58 AM
So how are we doing teams?

Red CB Toronto
10-03-2009, 09:52 PM
James, What about a Supporters United Side, it can be open to all supporters of TFC regardless of what or if any group they are part of, I mean at the end of the day TFC is what brings us all together and lets enjoy it all.

James Oliphant
10-03-2009, 09:56 PM
CBlake - That's basically what GoTFC's squad is. We've got a couple of RPBs, a couple of Hoolies, and a couple of season ticket holders who don't associate themselves with any group.

Unfortunately, our waiting list to get on the squad is about 20-30 people long as it is.

King Tut - I've suggested it.

Red CB Toronto
10-03-2009, 10:39 PM
CBlake - That's basically what GoTFC's squad is. We've got a couple of RPBs, a couple of Hoolies, and a couple of season ticket holders who don't associate themselves with any group.

Unfortunately, our waiting list to get on the squad is about 20-30 people long as it is.

Thanks for the info

keem-o-sabi
10-05-2009, 09:06 AM
how are we suppose to sign up for this? Last year wasn't there a thread on this or an email that went out? I haven't received anything this year.....

Razor
10-05-2009, 09:19 AM
ya, where do we sign up? i would really like to play in this. played in it twice and it's always been a blast.

:D

sulfur
10-05-2009, 09:55 AM
especially since teams are due in a couple of days. :P

keem-o-sabi
10-05-2009, 04:11 PM
where did it say team lists were due soon? I haven't seen anything posted except that it's the 18th at Lamport now.

Rudi
10-05-2009, 04:20 PM
where did it say team lists were due soon?
I posted the due date in the thread you started. :cool:

keem-o-sabi
10-05-2009, 04:21 PM
haha, i missed it then :)

hmmm, wonder if anyone is taking charge of this for RPB....

CoachGT
10-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Okay, Shaughno has a team and Rollin Over Niagara is in. A third "open" team has been set up in the following thread:

http://64.13.252.151/forums/showthread.php?p=744738#post744738

Big Bruva
10-06-2009, 10:53 PM
Hmmmmm im supposed to be making an appearance in this tourny, should be good times and ill be looking to lift the cup.

King Tut
10-08-2009, 06:24 AM

Sweeeet..Thanks James! :drum:

James Oliphant
10-08-2009, 03:23 PM
VENUE CHANGE!

As expected (and hoped for), we've been bumped from Lamport to BMO Field due to Lamport's re-fitting for the winter bubble.

Date and time stay the same, we're just moving down the road.

King Tut
10-08-2009, 05:20 PM
VENUE CHANGE!

As expected (and hoped for), we've been bumped from Lamport to BMO Field due to Lamport's re-fitting for the winter bubble.

Date and time stay the same, we're just moving down the road.

Sweet...I hate Lamport. Glad we're back at BMO Field.

Rudi
10-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Lamport's turf is WAY better than BMO's.

Even with the crown.

James Oliphant
10-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Anyone still looking for a team? The Hoolies are WAY short of guys.

Give Chris Morris a shout at narconisis_at_hotmail_dot_com

Haddy
10-14-2009, 09:47 PM

Chicago - Year 1
Niagara - Year 1
Supporters Cup - Year 1
Chicago - Year 2
NE - Year 2
Supporters Cup - Year 2
Niagara - Year 2
Indoor - Year 3
Spring - Year 3
Niagara - Year 3

Dude...all those tournaments and ZERO wins against Haddy.

Btw I still have that beautiful shiny trophy GoTFC United took home from New York that first year....for errrrr....being runners up but it still counts lol.

I challenge you to a duel sir!!

:scarf:

James Oliphant
10-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Just a reminder that spectators are not only welcome, but we encourage you to come out. And bring your cameras!

If you can't make it, I will be running a live blog beginning at 10am to keep you updated on the action. You'll see it on the home page of GoTorontoFC.com

James Oliphant
10-18-2009, 10:25 AM
For anyone interested in keeping up with the tournament, the live blog is up and running:

http://gotorontofc.com/index.php

egoodwin
10-18-2009, 01:15 PM
For anyone interested in keeping up with the tournament, the live blog is up and running:

http://gotorontofc.com/index.php
you should have had someone dedicated solely to doing the live blog...

updates once every 30 min or so, isn't really live...

good coverage for the final few games though

Cambridge_Red
10-18-2009, 04:32 PM
What a shocker TRN fields a bunch of ringers more than likely..

James Oliphant
10-18-2009, 06:18 PM
you should have had someone dedicated solely to doing the live blog...

updates once every 30 min or so, isn't really live...

good coverage for the final few games though

You're welcome.

Thanks to everyone who turned up to play on what ended up being a beautiful day for the beautiful game. A bit on the chilly side, but that sun was gorgeous.

Special thanks go to the RPB captains and especially CoachGT for pulling everyone together. Made my life a lot easier.

And extra special massive thanks to Erin Wilkes and Joe Jesseau from TFC's staff, without whom we'd still be paying for field rentals. Cheers guys, and thanks Erin for doing all the shitty paperwork I despise. ;)

All in all, I think it was a great day out.

Roogsy
10-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Awesome day out. Thanks to everyone, especially James, who put this together. I've never had so much fun doing something that feels like it's going to kill me! LOL!

sulfur
10-18-2009, 06:39 PM
I had a lot of fun with my impression of Brian Clough today.

But I was terribly disappointed that I couldn't get fired after 44 minutes. *sigh*

Fun though. :)

Roogsy
10-18-2009, 07:03 PM
What a shocker TRN fields a bunch of ringers more than likely..

I dunno about that. If those are ringers, they're poor versions of them. They beat us because of one thing only...familiarity. It was very apparent that team plays together often and each players knows what they're expected to do. Had our team had a couple of practices and maybe just one more clutch player, we could have beaten them, I really believe that.

James Oliphant
10-18-2009, 07:32 PM
I agree Roogs...TRN had some very close games. Just about everyone else was pretty competitive with them.

AL-MO
10-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the Live Blog updates James!

keem-o-sabi
10-19-2009, 09:20 AM
yep good all around, sorry we disappointed the RPB's by failing to get out of our group. Sucks when you give up 1 goal and get eliminated argh:( Stupid 113 group played with all 8 of their guys pretty much inside of 3 yards from their goal and we just refused to shoot on them and drew nil nil to them. TRN was a good game too, lost 1-nil to them, sucked as that was a really good game. We are in terrible need of a striker, we have like 7 midfielders but no one that is an out and out up top guy.

congrats to Boris' Bastards for making it onto the next round, you showed well!

It was a great time, too bad I was sick for the entire thing and had to run away as soon as we were done. I literally got home and passed out (and I didn't do much during the games, just super sick afterwards).

Shaughno
10-19-2009, 09:25 AM
Well done all around. Great day for a great tourney. Can't believe I missed my penalty against TRN... could have turned that game around.

Keemo, last year the team I was on went undefeated and still didn't qualify! At least the Bastard's had a great run with an undefeated Round Robin. Thanks for all your effort guys and gal, it made for a fun footy filled day.

CoachGT
10-19-2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks to all of the players who participated on behalf of RPB yesterday. I thought that we had excellent representation at the tournament and showed ourselves well. Congrats to Shaugno's team (Boris' Bastards) for making it through to the final four, and to RWN for getting extremely close to the final four despite being in the group of death. And Dichio United gave it their all and left it on the field, competitive in their games.

One other person to thank - James for his work in getting this together and making it run as smoothly as it did! Great work!

Shaughno
10-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Agreed, thanks again James for another successful Supporters Cup!