06-09-2008, 06:27 AM
http://ultras114.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

By Scott F.

TK88
06-09-2008, 06:55 AM
interesting read.

redcard
06-09-2008, 07:07 AM
theres always 2 new bandwagon jumpers beside me in 116...during play they are just having a conversation about the weather?!

oh and that offside comment is dead on!

oh and "why cant they let the clock run past 90 so we cans see when the time is over?"

can you tell i hate those clowns?

Carts
06-09-2008, 07:11 AM
The offside comment is absolutely bang on...

I don't know about the first part of point two... I drink the beer at BMO, and a good amount of it - and I'm not a bandwagon jumper (now that being said, I've never tried to piss off a fellow fan or tear apart a GO Train afterwards)...

Its a good read...

Carts...

Shaughno
06-09-2008, 07:12 AM
Love the article but have one comment.

A red shirt is better than nothing at BMO Field, but you start to wonder if these fans are confusing their loyalties when they show up in a Liverpool, Manchester United or Benfica shirt – and that’s if they even remember to wear a red kit. Whether they stumbled out of the pub after trying to keep their focus on an English Premier League game that afternoon, or simply hope that a football shirt is automatically appropriate for a football game, these glory-hunters worry more about spilling on their precious jersey than keeping a focus on the match.

I fucking hate this through the summer. It's a different story if the team is actually playing that day, but wearing a Porto/Chelsea/Celtic kit that doesn't even have TFC's colours is just unacceptable IMO. I've worn my United jersey twice, both were United and TFC gamedays and as much as I love TFC, United has and always will be my #1 club. So on a day like the Champs League Final, I proudly wore my United jersey to the TFC game after. Partly because we had played shortly earlier and also because I wasn't going back to Kitchener to change jersey's. :lol:

nobodybeatsthewiz
06-09-2008, 07:45 AM
agreed, i dont see too much of an issue if the jersey is red, TFC colours. id rather not wear my pool jersey to a TFC game but before i had a jersey or shirt, i did to at least fit in with the sea of red.

ACSertL
06-09-2008, 07:52 AM
Well don't I feel like a heel for wearing a Grey jersey :)

adamdz
06-09-2008, 07:54 AM
I'm gonna goto 114 with a pink shirt and play with a blackberry (oh wait I cant afford one).

905shmick
06-09-2008, 07:58 AM
I'm gonna goto 114 with a pink shirt and play with a blackberry (oh wait I cant afford one).

I'll buy you a pink shirt!

Shaughno
06-09-2008, 08:00 AM
Well don't I feel like a heel for wearing a Grey jersey :)

I only own the away jersey... and I wear it to every game. :lol:

flatpicker
06-09-2008, 08:10 AM
I thought the article was egotistical piece of rubbish.
It's the kind of attitude that will serve to weaken our home support.
The writer comes across to me as being more concerned about who the better fans are rather than the actual game.
I would rather sit beside someone who is trying hard to get to know the game than someone who spends their time bitching about the inadequacies of others.

dupont
06-09-2008, 08:14 AM
I thought the article was egotistical piece of rubbish.
It's the kind of attitude that will serve to weaken our home support.
The writer comes across to me as being more concerned about who the better fans are rather than the actual game.
I would rather sit beside someone who is trying hard to get to know the game than someone who spends their time bitching about the inadequacies of others.

Finally the correct answer.

At least there is some interest in the team and the game right now which is more than you can say for a lot of teams in the MLS. Would the writer prefer a half-empty stadium until Toronto had 20,000 fans that are as hardcore as he is?

ACSertL
06-09-2008, 08:18 AM
I only own the away jersey... and I wear it to every game. :lol:

And as do I...except for the All-Star game that is.

Parkdale
06-09-2008, 08:21 AM
I don't think you can fault someone not being interested in the sport when it wasn't played at a professional level in this city. Just because someone's interest in the sport started when the team arrived, doesn't mean it's fair to lump all those thousands of ticket holders into one category. It's the usual 'holier than thou' thing that divides instead of unifies.

Barbarez
06-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Seems like the guys who fit in the category Scott is writing about are the ones whining about it here. :)

Parkdale
06-09-2008, 08:26 AM
Seems like the guys who fit in the category Scott is writing about are the ones whining about it here. :)

Yeah.... we have no idea what offside means.

fuck off LOL

Shaughno
06-09-2008, 08:31 AM
I don't think you can fault someone not being interested in the sport when it wasn't played at a professional level in this city. Just because someone's interest in the sport started when the team arrived, doesn't mean it's fair to lump all those thousands of ticket holders into one category. It's the usual 'holier than thou' thing that divides instead of unifies.

Actually, there has been plenty of professional soccer in this city. The people who didn't care about it, are the same people who have no clue about those teams.

Parkdale, are you seriously saying that there isn't a bandwagon crowd at BMO? You think that all these people will still be in their seats if we go on another 9 game scoreless/winless streak? Give me a break, the fad is fading for those who don't care. You can see it taking affect already as the stands aren't near as full as last year. Why is it you guys always bring it back to 'someone being a better supporter'? It's not about being a better supporter, it's about being a fucking supporter in the first place. Of course we aren't going to have the entire stadium filled with supporters, that's life. But that doesn't mean we can't set a standard that we feel everyone under the umbrella of the 'supporter' name SHOULD live up to.

If you don't agree with that, I don't know what to say.

GrimsbyTown
06-09-2008, 08:32 AM
Typical "I'm better than you because I know more about football" attitude.

Really, who cares what someone is wearing? Who cares if they plan ahead to buy expensive beer and pizza? Who cares if they screw up on a called back goal? Seriously!

This is just another example in a long list of examples...

Does it really, I mean REALLY matter if....

Someone calls it soccer? ...... gasp!
Someone calls the team FC instead of TFC?
Someone calls MLS and 'American League'.... yes we all know Toronto is in Canada...
Someone says 'field' instead of pitch?
Someone says 1-nothing, instead of 1-nil?

The list goes on and on and on.....

I'm just glad that people are supporting Toronto Football Club, or is that "The" Toronto Football Club? Or should I say Toronto FC? Or just TFC? What is the latest proper way to say it among the elite inner sanctum of fans that judge themselves to have the right amount of knowledge to be true fans? I've lost track.

Barbarez
06-09-2008, 08:35 AM
Actually, there has been plenty of professional soccer in this city. The people who didn't care about it, are the same people who have no clue about those teams.

Parkdale, are you seriously saying that there isn't a bandwagon crowd at BMO? You think that all these people will still be in their seats if we go on another 9 game scoreless/winless streak? Give me a break, the fad is fading for those who don't care. You can see it taking affect already as the stands aren't near as full as last year. Why is it you guys always bring it back to 'someone being a better supporter'? It's not about being a better supporter, it's about being a fucking supporter in the first place. Of course we aren't going to have the entire stadium filled with supporters, that's life. But that doesn't mean we can't set a standard that we feel everyone under the umbrella of the 'supporter' name SHOULD live up to.

Dude, I sometimes wonder how you ever considered yourself a red patch boy...

Shaughno
06-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Dude, sometimes I wonder a lot of things.

JonO
06-09-2008, 08:42 AM
I think the main problem with the article is the author implies that there is no "good" type of bandwagon jumper, which is probably not the intention.

If it is the intention, then I agree it's a smug piece of crap.

I know a lot of people who are recent soccer fans and occassionally call the team "FC", but love to stand and cheer along with everyone else, while learning the game. This is a good thing, no?

flatpicker
06-09-2008, 08:43 AM

I think Scott is the one "whining"
We are simply criticizing a bad article...

Parkdale
06-09-2008, 08:45 AM

There hasn't been a real professional team in this city since the Blizzard.
By definition, a 'professional' team is made up of people who are professionals,
and don't have to keep a day job going to pay their rent. Did any of the lynx guys get to that level?

Parkdale, are you seriously saying that there isn't a bandwagon crowd at BMO?

Did I say that? NO. You love twisting my words don't you?
I said:

I don't think you can fault someone not being interested in the sport when it wasn't played at a professional level in this city. Just because someone's interest in the sport started when the team arrived, doesn't mean it's fair to lump all those thousands of ticket holders into one category. It's the usual 'holier than thou' thing that divides instead of unifies.Where did I say there isn't a bangwagon crowd? I said that it's not fair to judge someone based on when they started getting interested in the sport. Just because someone is new to the game, doesn't mean people should consider them a detriment to the supporters section, which is clearly the point of the article.

Stencils
06-09-2008, 08:45 AM

At least there is some interest in the team and the game right now which is more than you can say for a lot of teams in the MLS. Would the writer prefer a half-empty stadium until Toronto had 20,000 fans that are as hardcore as he is?

Agreed.

And guess where the 20,000 would come from? From those "bandwagon" fans he's talking about. Not everyone is born understanding the rules or born with a Man U kit on or whatever. And there's no 'football supporter class' at community colleges for them to take.

People in the stands who know the rules need to help out the people who don't. If they're there at BMO to be excited and cheer on Toronto, they'll get the hang of it with a little help from the rest of us.

There's no room for football to grow in Canada if NEW fans can't be created. If we're gonna act like we're better than new fans we might as well stop trying to grow the game in this country right now.

All that said, I'm not quite sure what the tone of that article was, so no disrespect to the writer from me. It seemed like he was going for a humorous thing but then didn't quite pull it off :P

flatpicker
06-09-2008, 08:48 AM

There are a lot of people who didn't know anything about those old Toronto soccer teams.
This is not because they chose not to be interested in the sport.
This is Canada, and most people were raised with the "hockey is everything" mentality.
Then there are those that grew up in families that had a long standing passion for the beautiful game... that passion was passed down to the children.... good for them...
that doesn't make them any more worthy to cheer for TFC than someone like myself who spent much of my youth playing table hockey instead of foosball.

Barbarez
06-09-2008, 08:54 AM
There are a lot of people who didn't know anything about those old Toronto soccer teams.
This is not because they chose not to be interested in the sport.
This is Canada, and most people were raised with the "hockey is everything" mentality.
Then there are those that grew up in families that had a long standing passion for the beautiful game... that passion was passed down to the children.... good for them...
that doesn't make them any more worthy to cheer for TFC than someone like myself who spent much of my youth playing table hockey instead of foosball.

Nobody is saying jumping on the TFC bandwagon is wrong, what is wrong is coming to a TFC game with the least bit interest in the actual game, spending 90 mins talking about the chicks around you without having the balls to actually go up to them. Getting drunk and purposely spilling your beer on everybody around you, throwing shit on the field etc etc. Basically, doing everything else except focusing on the match and supporting the team.

darb
06-09-2008, 08:56 AM
http://ultras114.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

By Scott F.

I almost didn't follow the jump. Why does anyone actually need to spot them? Is this something you've just learned recently and felt the need to share? Point number 2. was especially interesting in the way that you "explained" to us that Bandwagon jumpers are vandals.

I'm anxiously awaiting the next "article" in the series: "What I think defines an Ultra, and just how much better we are than anybody else in the history of the world".

Roogsy
06-09-2008, 09:00 AM
I've read articles by this guy before and I have enjoyed them. This one is not very good though. There are better ways to identify a bandwagon jumper and the ones listed are not it. Not to mention, I too am not concerned about whether the guys around me are new or long-time soccer lovers. It's the whole dick-measuring contest that I try to avoid because at the end of the day...mine is bigger than yours. LOL!

flatpicker
06-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Nobody is saying jumping on the TFC bandwagon is wrong, what is wrong is coming to a TFC game with the least bit interest in the actual game, spending 90 mins talking about the chicks around you without having the balls to actually go up to them. Getting drunk and purposely spilling your beer on everybody around you, throwing shit on the field etc etc. Basically, doing everything else except focusing on the match and supporting the team.

I agree... those are annoying things... but I honestly believe most people at BMO want to enjoy the game and learn as well.
I think the article painted too many people with the same brush.
I don't consider those annoying folks in the crowd to be "bandwagon jumpers"... they are just jerks who try to show off.

But we will never rid ourselves of that kind of artificial support. It's everywhere... and I don't just mean the Leafs.
Look at any high profile team in the UK. Those stands are full of people who are there to show off rather than support the team.

Parkdale
06-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Eager to jump on the bandwagon, these "fans" try hard to appreciate the game, and their hard-earned dollars are certainly appreciated at the club coffers, but their superficial enjoyment of a day out on a Saturday can never match the sheer joy of fans who have been waiting years – or in some cases decades – for a professional team to thrive in Toronto.

if that's isn't elitism, then I don't know what is.

joelakeshore
06-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Sounds like a preamble to a witch hunt...lighten up and enjoy the full stadium. I would think that surely 'ultras' can't let their gameday experience be thrown off so easily?

bdrs
06-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Some good points. I am a new fan of the sport. I am just learning the ins and outs. I am sure some would call me a band wagon jumper as I started following the sport when the team came in. Luckily how much I love TFC isn't open to a vote. While I am sure it is frustrating to all the old school footie fans, at the end of the day any support, band wagon or not, raises the profile of the league and team and puts buts in the seats.
Why not educate them helpfully rather than just be pissy about it?

flatpicker
06-09-2008, 09:05 AM
raises the profile of the league and team and puts buts in the seats.
Why not educate them helpfully rather than just be pissy about it?

"Butts" has two t's...

:)

nobodybeatsthewiz
06-09-2008, 09:06 AM
"Butts" has two t's...

eliteist, haha

Roogsy
06-09-2008, 09:08 AM
Funny thing is that while there are those that complain about bandwagon jumpers...the fact of the matters is that without those darned bandwagon jumpers, this team will never be successful.

If there were only hardcore supporters in the stands, we'd only be able to fill the south stand and this team will both never make money and therefore perpetually suck.

The guys near me who don't know Jack about the team? I try to get my enthusiasm infect them to get them into the game. I always said it was more productive to encourage them on rather than scream at them as to how much of a poor supporter/fan they are.

But to each his own...if you want to be bitter about it, my guess it isn't just TFC support you are bitter about.

Pigfynn
06-09-2008, 09:10 AM
This shit is exactly the kind of message that will have us down to 9,000 a game in no time. Although as long as those 9,000 were hardcore "real" supporters I guess it wouldn't mattter right?

Barbarez
06-09-2008, 09:14 AM
This shit is exactly the kind of message that will have us down to 9,000 a game in no time. Although as long as those 9,000 were hardcore "real" supporters I guess it wouldn't mattter right?

Obviously the quality of support to you does not matter mr maple leaf. If it was up to me, I'd rather have 10, 000 supporters that I know are going to make noise then 20, 000 who are going to sit there and munch of their food.

Pigfynn
06-09-2008, 09:16 AM
Hey fuck head, you don't know me so shut the fuck up!

Barbarez
06-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Hey fuck head, you don't know me so shut the fuck up!

You're right, I dont know. Stop writing stupid shit then.

flatpicker
06-09-2008, 09:20 AM
You're right, I dont know. Stop writing stupid shit then.

did Barbarez just say that???

Heathen

Yes I think he probably would

bdrs
Obviously the quality of support to you does not matter mr maple leaf. If it was up to me, I'd rather have 10, 000 supporters that I know are going to make noise then 20, 000 who are going to sit there and munch of their food.

and you figure MLSE will bother for 9000? I guess you should buy the team and then you can keep it going with its half empty park.

Barbarez
06-09-2008, 09:23 AM
hmm I should have known better then to post such an article to a bunch of MLSE sympathizers and a group whos main goal is to attract more members and sell more product.

My bad.

nobodybeatsthewiz
06-09-2008, 09:24 AM
how does donovan have 100 goddamn caps? fakk he's such a chivo.

eastcoastmike
06-09-2008, 09:25 AM
I think a big deal with the whole "bandwagon" thing has its pros and cons.

Obviously, in a city where soccer isn't its main sport, you have to kind of expect to welcome anyone into the stadium. Especially with such a young team.

On the flipside, you might have the wrong people buying up seats for the wrong reasons. Give it a couple of years and those people are back in the ACC or Rogers Centre and you have empty seats at BMO.

I think the biggest thing that I've noticed is that, while Toronto is so incredibly multicultural, you don't see enough support for the home team. When the World Cup is on, you see cars with their countries flags everywhere and when their team makes a great win the streets in different areas are packed with honking cars. Where are all of these people? Have they simply disappeared? Or are they simply bandwagon hoppers too?

Roogsy
Hopefully this discourages you from posting here again! Ah...to dream.

Parkdale

10,000? That would be really impressive. What's the south end currently hold? 3,000?

Roogsy
06-09-2008, 09:29 AM
10,000? That would be really impressive. What's the south end currently hold? 3,000?

That's the funny thing. There aren't 10,000 people in Toronto, let alone in BMO Field stands, that fit their "model" of what a real supporter is. There aren't even enough to fill the stands. So if they think that 500 people will make enough "atmosphere" to make this team relevant...there isn't enough drugs in this world to remove those delusions, so let them be. There will always be people who spend their lives making up for their own inadequacies by putting down others.

flatpicker
06-09-2008, 09:30 AM

exactly... if you only had loud, colourful, and knowledgeable supporters in the crowd, then MLSE would barely cover the cost of those iron on patches that grace the jerseys.

olegunnar
06-09-2008, 09:32 AM
I think there are a lot of self centered people here who seem to feel as though this article is some sort of attack on their support or those of their part time supporter friends and acquaintances.

It looks to me like this article is a PR article. A get of our back you puckhead pigs article.
Go train vandalism, drunken bs bahaviour, throwing stuff on the field...all things the writer is trying to distance him and supporters from by pointing the finger at bandwagoners.
Now you can't just be that transparent, so throw in some personal beefs, like the other team's kit stuff...and voila presto changeo you have your article.

But no! Somehow a bunch of people seem to have taken the article personally.

bdrs
06-09-2008, 09:33 AM
It just seems to me like some folks are upset because they aren't special because their favourite sport, which was fringe in Canada, is now more mainstream. No poser likes it when other people start to like the same things they do and drive them into the norm... sad.

Barbarez
06-09-2008, 09:37 AM
I think there are a lot of self centered people here who seem to feel as though this article is some sort of attack on their support or those of their part time supporter friends and acquaintances.

It looks to me like this article is a PR article. A get of our back you pucked pigs article.
Go train vandalism, drunken bs bahaviour, throwing stuff on the field...all things the writer is trying to distance him and supporters from by pointing the finger at bandwagoners.
Now you can't just be that transparent, so throw in some personal beefs, like the other team's kit stuff...and voila presto changeo you have your article.

:) Finally.

Parkdale
06-09-2008, 09:40 AM

yeah... because it's not like them to take cheap shots at us whenever possible. :rolleyes:

flatpicker
06-09-2008, 09:43 AM

It looks to me like this article is a PR article. A get of our back you puckhead pigs article.

if you want to write a motivational speech for TFC fans then go ahead... because that article was not as you claim.

One of the surpring things about the gameday experience at BMO Field isn't the sheer number of fans but just how knowledgeable they are about the beautiful game. Whether natives of Europe and South America or just passionate followers of the sport, Toronto FC's fan base can appreciate the subtle nuances of football, applauding a defensive header just as loudly as a shot on target.
Such an appreciate audience makes it that much easier, however, to spot the ticket-holders who are obvious members of that new breed of football fans, those who couldn't have cared less about the sport until it popped up in their own backyard. Eager to jump on the bandwagon, these "fans" try hard to appreciate the game, and their hard-earned dollars are certainly appreciated at the club coffers, but their superficial enjoyment of a day out on a Saturday can never match the sheer joy of fans who have been waiting years – or in some cases decades – for a professional team to thrive in Toronto.

that is not about motivation dude... that is about saying "I am better than you because I have been standing in line for this longer than you have"

Give me a fucking break. You can't defend an article by reinventing what it says...

JonO
06-09-2008, 09:44 AM
:) Finally.
No offence - it's a good sentiment but it's poorly expressed. As I mentioned earlier, it implies that all new supporters are "bandwagon jumpers".

However, we couldn't have such exciting threads if it were too simple, now could we? :poke:

Barbarez
06-09-2008, 09:44 AM
yeah... because it's not like them to take cheap shots at us whenever possible. :rolleyes:

Seems like you guys are the insecure ones who are full of yourselves and think that every other supporter group jerks off to the RPB before they go to bed every night....No man, it doesn't work like that. I could care less about you or the RPB...

Parkdale
06-09-2008, 09:46 AM
Seems like you guys are the insecure ones who are full of yourselves and think that every other supporter group jerks off to the RPB before they go to bed every night....No man, it doesn't work like that. I could care less about you or the RPB...

That's not what I said. Lots of people take cheap shots at us, and we rarely take them back.

TorontoBlades
06-09-2008, 09:47 AM
No offence - it's a good sentiment but it's poorly expressed. As I mentioned earlier, it implies that all new supporters are "bandwagon jumpers".

However, we couldn't have such exciting threads if it were too simple, now could we? :poke:

no it doesn't - it simply says that someone can't understand the joy of getting a team after waiting decades as oppose to days. you could say the same for a blowjob...it's common sense

alexintoronto
06-09-2008, 09:47 AM
A new fan with an open mind, willing to learn, help support the team and create atmosphere = good.

A new fan with a closed mind, only willing to sit and watch all while making it harder for others to support and create atmosphere = bad.

Roogsy
06-09-2008, 09:49 AM
A new fan with an open mind, willing to learn, help support the team and create atmosphere = good.

A new fan with a closed mind, only willing to sit and watch all while making it harder for others to support and create atmosphere = bad.

Makes sense to me. But that kind of logic escapes some.

Daveisonfire
06-09-2008, 09:50 AM
If you are sitting there texting your best friend and talking about movies, then screw off...but if you are genuinely interested in the game, I don't have a problem.

I will say though, that if you are in the supporters section...you should not be learning the game.

nobodybeatsthewiz
06-09-2008, 09:50 AM
true and simple, alex

Parkdale
06-09-2008, 09:51 AM
no it doesn't - it simply says that someone can't understand the joy of getting a team after waiting decades as oppose to days. you could say the same for a blowjob...it's common sense

nope. it says this:
Eager to jump on the bandwagon, these "fans" try hard to appreciate the game, and their hard-earned dollars are certainly appreciated at the club coffers, but their superficial enjoyment of a day out on a Saturday can never match the sheer joy of fans who have been waiting years – or in some cases decades – for a professional team to thrive in Toronto.
it's not about getting a team, it's about enjoying the match on gameday. Says so right there in bold.

TorontoBlades
06-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by alexintoronto http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=40078#post40078)

^ yeah but that kind of attitude is going to have us shown up by the Sons of Ben, we have 20,000 seats available - that's a capacity, i'd rather fill them slowly with people that can really get behind their team, than let the first 20,000 bumkins in searching for a tfc car flag or Edu bobble head doll

there doing things right down there, from the foundation...be weary

Barbarez
06-09-2008, 09:54 AM
nope. it says this:
it's not about getting a team, it's about enjoying the match on gameday. Says so right there in bold.

Dude, stick to making videos and sipping on chocolate martinis in your luxury $1000 season seat and leave the support to us. You've questioned the effect and importance of support many times. You shouldn't even be part of this thread.

Parkdale
06-09-2008, 09:57 AM
You shouldn't even be part of this thread.

and you shouldn't even be on this message board if we're just a bunch of part-time supporters.

and my seat is $1260 before I factor in the cost of chocolate martinis and prawn sandwiches

flatpicker
06-09-2008, 09:58 AM
zing!

Shaughno
06-09-2008, 09:59 AM
That's not what I said. Lots of people take cheap shots at us, and we rarely take them back.

Dude, why is it that you always take these threads so personally? If it doesn't affect you, why bother getting your back up over it?

olegunnar
06-09-2008, 09:59 AM
I'm not a member of ultras114 just so everyone knows that isn't influencing my perception of the article.

I still find it odd that I'm the only one that sees what I see.

You've got a group (ultras114) that feels unfairly singled out and persecuted by cops/security. The rumours are it may have started from non-soccer security types reading their website and not "getting it".
You've got bandwagon types causing shit all the time (throwing crap, running on the field during play, vandalizing the GO trains etc. etc.) and so:
You get an article from the people that think they're unfair targets saying "it's not us!! you've got the wrong people, in fact we think THOSE people are twats and posers, oh and if any of you twats and posers made an honest mistake and thought what you were doing was cool, then here's a lesson for you".

That's how I see it. I guess I'm the only one.

Shaughno
06-09-2008, 10:00 AM
zing!

Zing what? Zing that he can be a prawner and still say he's a supporter? Or zing that he takes these threads so personally it makes him seem like less of a supporter than he actually may be, simply because he is so opposed to anything that has Ultras/Barbarez or hardcore attached in any form or fashion.

TorontoBlades
06-09-2008, 10:01 AM
boom! someone sees the light (for olegunner)

Shaughno
06-09-2008, 10:01 AM
I'm not a member of ultras114 just so everyone knows that isn't influencing my perception of the article.

You've got a group (ultras114) that feels unfairly singled out and persecuted by cops/security. The rumours are it may have started from non-soccer security types reading their website and not "getting it".
You've got bandwagon types causing shit all the time (throwing crap, running on the field during play, vandalizing the GO trains etc. etc.) and so:
You get an article from the people that think they're unfair targets saying "it's not us!! you've got the wrong people, in fact we think THOSE people are twats and posers, oh and if any of you twats and posers made an honest mistake and thought what you were doing was cool, then here's a lesson for you".

You're not the only one. The difference is, we're not taking it personally like he's trying to tell us that we're not hardcore supporters, unlike some others.

Parkdale
06-09-2008, 10:02 AM
zing because it's a joke. remember those?

Barbarez
06-09-2008, 10:03 AM
good on ya gunner

Shaughno
06-09-2008, 10:04 AM
zing because it's a joke. remember those?

Yeah, kinda like half this article that you took so personally you decided to bring your prawns into it.

flatpicker
06-09-2008, 10:06 AM

if you read my response to you on the previous page you will see what my issue is...
you are defending one view while the article clearly presents a different view right from the get-go.
Perhaps the article is trying to say what you claim...
We are claiming that the article was poorly written.

Parkdale
Shaughno - I'm not taking it personally. I know the article isn't about me or people like me (who know when a ball goes offside). I just don't think people should take shots at other people who came into the TFC experience later than others. It seems like that's the point of the article, more so than distancing themselves from the drunken troublemakers. I see olegunners' point that they are trying to distance themselves from certain problems, but I don't think singling out others is the way to do it.

TorontoBlades
well my personal issue is that the RPB caters to the "casual" fan because they are the majority and truth is they have the most seats....and they know that will continue to get love from MLSE suit monkeys. it's like concert promoters "catering" to madonna because she sells out the rogers center as oppose to a concerthall.

nobodybeatsthewiz
06-09-2008, 10:07 AM

i see it, and agree with it's message, i really do. i guess if there was a way to get a message out to those in a helpful way it'd serve us better than the shots going back and forth on here.

TorontoBlades
06-09-2008, 10:08 AM
well my personal issue is that the RPB caters to the "casual" fan because they are the majority and truth is they have the most seats....and they know that will continue to get love from MLSE suit monkeys. it's like concert promoters "catering" to madonna because she sells out the rogers center as oppose to a concerthall.

quality over quantity is what i'm trying to say

Roogsy
06-09-2008, 10:08 AM

Caters how?

If it's "catering" when you choose not to be elitist, I guess it is what it is.

TorontoBlades
06-09-2008, 10:10 AM

and to add to that - they're frustration must be doubled in the fact that they are singled out supporting as best they can...and they're not getting any help from other "supporter" groups who really should be encouraging the same kind of support

flatpicker
06-09-2008, 10:11 AM
I think I need to a break... I'll come back when this thread has reached the 12th page are so...

... who am I kidding... I'll be back by at least page 5...

Barbarez
Caters how?

What do you mean how? You express your views and opinions on here every day. People will judge you based on that.

Shaughno
Shaughno - I'm not taking it personally. I know the article isn't about me or people like me (who know when a ball goes offside). I just don't think people should take shots at other people who came into the TFC experience later than others. It seems like that's the point of the article, more so than distancing themselves from the drunken troublemakers. I see olegunners' point that they are trying to distance themselves from certain problems, but I don't think singling out others is the way to do it.

Nobody seemed to have a problem with the article's general idea until you and flatpicker came in calling it an egotistical piece of garbage. He's not taking shots at people who came in late to the experience, he's taking shots at the idiots in the fucking stands. It's so clear, as it has been in previous articles that he has written. As usual, you've jumped to a major conclusion from your point of view... which never, ever agrees with anything that has ultras/barbarez/hardcore in the mix.

Roogsy
06-09-2008, 10:12 AM
What do you mean how? You express your views and opinions on here every day. People will judge you based on that.

I see.

Expressing an opinion = catering.

Glad we cleared that up. :rolleyes:

TorontoBlades
06-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Caters how?

elitist in what sense dude?

if you mean elitist in the fact that I took to time to love football in this city my whole life instead on starting last summer. if elitist means taking the time to learn the rules and the players and that....the people that do that deserve to be elite in my opinion...sorry if some take offence

Shaughno
06-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Caters how?

Dude, I'm tired of this 'elistest' bullshit that gets tossed around so frequently. It happens on both sides.

What he's saying is, if you joined a supporters group... be a supporter. If you aren't a supporter, don't join a supporters group. It's pretty easy I think. I mean, it wasn't formed as the Red Patch Boys Casual Friendship Group was it?

MG42
LOL how much do I regret reading this thread!!??!! :)

JonO
This argument is getting silly and seems to an argument for arguments sake... but I agree with both sides (wtf??) I don't think the article is written is intended to be interpreted as some have here, but re-read the article and see how it could be interpreted that way. It's really silly to split hairs like this guys.

A simple "that's not the intention of the article and this is what it is saying" would suffice. Can we please focus some of this hatred on the Red Bulls? You know, since they're shite?

TorontoBlades
06-09-2008, 10:16 AM
This argument is getting silly and seems to an argument for arguments sake... but I agree with both sides (wtf??) I don't think the article is written is intended to be interpreted as some have here, but re-read the article and see how it could be interpreted that way. It's really silly to split hairs like this guys.

A simple "that's not the intention of the article and this is what it is saying" would suffice. Can we please focus some of this hatred on the Red Bulls? You know, since they're shite?

it's true they are :)

nobodybeatsthewiz
06-09-2008, 10:16 AM
It's pretty easy I think. I mean, it wasn't formed as the Red Patch Boys Casual Friendship Group was it?

exactly

i didn't join to look at jay's fukking mug and talk about the weather

Parkdale
06-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Dude, I'm tired of this 'elistest' bullshit that gets tossed around so frequently. It happens on both sides.

What he's saying is, if you joined a supporters group... be a supporter. If you aren't a supporter, don't join a supporters group. It's pretty easy I think. I mean, it wasn't formed as the Red Patch Boys Casual Friendship Group was it?

and there's the jump that you always make, that it's about being a supporters group or just a fan club. I'm pretty sure the article is about people in the south end who aren't part of any group, and behave poorly because of lack of experience or education.

Barbarez
06-09-2008, 10:19 AM

if you mean elitist in the fact that I took to time to love football in this city my whole life instead on starting last summer. if elitist means taking the time to learn the rules and the players and that....the people that do that deserve to be elite in my opinion...sorry if some take offence

to add...elitist meaning, spending your weekends making flags and banners to cover up the horrendous concrete infront of our section, elitist meaning purchasing megaphones, walkies, scarves and trying to involve the whole section then fuck yeah, I am an elitist. FUck you and all these other lil punks who think they can come in without having done shit to prove themselves and thinking they can consider themselves supporters.

Shaughno

But you see, it was all fine and dandy until Parkdale and Flatpicker came in calling it egotistical bullshit and elitest. There was no mention prior to that.

Roogsy

Nobody is stopping you from doing and feeling what you want.

The elitist comes in when a person spends their time worrying about how much better they are than the guy beside them. If that is what the soccer experience makes you do...then you are elitist. Dunno if you are or not, this is simply a general description and each of us has to honestly look in the mirror and make that determination. If you we don't like what we see in the mirror, we can either ignore it or accept it, but it doesn't change the original fact.

Shaughno
06-09-2008, 10:21 AM
and there's the jump that you always make, that it's about being a supporters group or just a fan club. I'm pretty sure the article is about people in the south end who aren't part of any group, and behave poorly because of lack of experience or education.

I was responding to a single comment hence my response. As you can see prior to that my comments were very on topic. Fuck off trying to call me out on that. As I've said three times now, there were no problems in this thread until you lot came in talking shit about how it's elitest and egotistical.

The article was being disected and people were discussing the points brought up in said article.

adamdz
06-09-2008, 10:23 AM
It's like a soap opera in here sometimes (not that I watch any....)

Shaughno
06-09-2008, 10:23 AM

The elitist comes in when a person spends their time worrying about how much better they are than the guy beside them. If that is what the soccer experience makes you do...then you are elitist. Dunno if you are or not, this is simply a general description and each of us has to honestly look in the mirror and make that determination. If you we don't like what we see in the mirror, we can either ignore it or accept it, but it doesn't change the original fact.

The elitest comes in when YOU GUYS tell them they are worrying about how much better they are. Never do they say shit like that. They call out the people who cause shit, good for them. They call for the 'casual' fans to step it up, good for them. Then people come in and say that they are telling everyone that they aren't as cool or hardcore. Of course when you tell someone what their opinion is, that they are going to respond in a negative manner.

Parkdale
06-09-2008, 10:24 AM
But you see, it was all fine and dandy until Parkdale and Flatpicker came in calling it egotistical bullshit and elitest. There was no mention prior to that.

What I said was that it was divisive, which is the wrong way to go about showing band-wagon jumpers how things could be better.

TorontoBlades
06-09-2008, 10:24 AM

hey the mirror idea was mine first :)

Shaughno
06-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Why is it divisive? They are pointing out things that need to be changed in their opinion. Divisive is coming in and calling someone egotistical for having an opinion different from one's own.

Roogsy
06-09-2008, 10:25 AM
So let me get this straight. I am elitist because I tell people to worry about themselves and stop worrying about what others do.

Ok. :rolleyes:

icecoldbeer
06-09-2008, 10:27 AM
http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/mba/lowres/mban1032l.jpg

Shaughno
06-09-2008, 10:28 AM
So let me get this straight. I am elitist because I tell people to worry about themselves and stop worrying about what others do.

Give me a break. So we should just accept that we have idiots in the stands who throw beer and don't pay attention to the game?

TorontoBlades
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authoritarian

ACSertL
I was responding to a single comment hence my response. As you can see prior to that my comments were very on topic. Fuck off trying to call me out on that. As I've said three times now, there were no problems in this thread until you lot came in talking shit about how it's elitest and egotistical.

The article was being disected and people were discussing the points brought up in said article.

Or guys like me that just like to make a joke here and there about the colour of his TFC jersey. :)

There will always be the so called casual fan, and if there is a job that I take to task it is not trying to convert them, as that is a personal choice, my task is simple...cheer on the boys to victory. If people are inspired by my passion then awesome, if not so be it.

Lets all remember it is about the team first and foremost.

Parkdale
06-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Divisive is coming in and calling someone egotistical for having an opinion different from one's own.

And saying that the bandwagon jumpers will never experience the same Joy that someone who was waiting for the team will experience IS egotistical. If calling it for what it is makes me divisive, then I guess I am.

flatpicker

(ok... so I'm back sooner than I thought)

My first post in this thread was me being critical of this article... so what?

It happens to every article in the media... people post comments about what was wrong with it.
Are we not allowed to do that?

Some of you seem to think that I support the uninterested "fans" that go to the game...
well, if you think that, than you are misquoting me as badly as you misquote that article.

It can't be any clearer where there problem with that article is...

...the ticket-holders who are obvious members of that new breed of football fans, those who couldn't have cared less about the sport until it popped up in their own backyard. Eager to jump on the bandwagon, these "fans" try hard to appreciate the game, ...but their superficial enjoyment of a day out on a Saturday can never match the sheer joy of fans who have been waiting years – or in some cases decades – for a professional team to thrive in Toronto.

that does not say "those who go to the game but don't support the team are rubbish"
it is saying those who have enjoyed soccer for a long time are better than those who have enjoyed it for a short time.

Shaughno
Or guys like me that just like to make a joke here and there about the colour of his TFC jersey. :)

There will always be the so called casual fan, and if there is a job that I take to task it is not trying to convert them, as that is a personal choice, my task is simple...cheer on the boys to victory. If people are inspired by my passion then awesome, if not so be it.

Lets all remember it is about the team first and foremost.

And we were having a laugh about it, and the article. Then the riot police comes in.

Roogsy
06-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Give me a break. So we should just accept that we have idiots in the stands who throw beer and don't pay attention to the game?

No, of course not. But of course, I would love to read whatever article you are now referring to.

Barbarez
06-09-2008, 10:31 AM

Dude, that's the kind of attitude that is keep us back from making BMO into a one voice. That, I'll sing I dont care about the guy beside me attitude. How can you not care if the guy beside you comes two a total of 2 games throws shit on the pitch and leaves, then at the next game you got 5 undercovers staring you down with a loaded pistol???

bdrs
06-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Dude I get that that is annoying to you, but really what else are you going to do other than accept it? Does anyone really think they can control what anyone else chooses to do? The throwing beer is an enforceable rule at BMO, but if they don't want to pay attention?

Shaughno
06-09-2008, 10:35 AM
And saying that the bandwagon jumpers will never experience the same Joy that someone who was waiting for the team will experience IS egotistical. If calling it for what it is makes me divisive, then I guess I am.

Funny how it's ONE sentance that has you guys so pissed!

To be completely honest, yes I agree with that sentance. I have waited 20+ years to have a home club to support. Do I honestly think some average joe who never knew anything about football previous to TFC can match the enthousiasm I have for this team? No, I really don't.

Roogsy
06-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Dude, that's the kind of attitude that is keep us back from making BMO into a one voice. That, I'll sing I dont care about the guy beside me attitude. How can you not care if the guy beside you comes two a total of 2 games throws shit on the pitch and leaves, then at the next game you got 5 undercovers staring you down with a loaded pistol???

This is the thing that gets me. I don't want that guy beside me either. But if I rat on him hoping he gets tossed, I am a snitch, according to you guys as well!

But yelling at him or insulting him is going to make him a better supporter?

All I know is that I have encouraged people around me to sing and jump by doing it myself and encouraging them to do it, not insulting them. If people can't see the value of attracting flies with honey rather than vinegar, then I am not going to waste my time convincing them.

Great supporters comes from people doing it from the heart, not because they are forced into it.

bdrs
06-09-2008, 10:36 AM

To be completely honest, yes I agree with that sentance. I have waited 20+ years to have a home club to support. Do I honestly think some average joe who never knew anything about football previous to TFC can match the enthousiasm I have for this team? No, I really don't.

Funny cause I am new to the game, but TFC is my number one club. Actually my only. you?

Shaughno
06-09-2008, 10:38 AM
No, of course not. But of course, I would love to read whatever article you are now referring to.

Their formulaic hockey chants get louder in direct proportion to the alcohol they consume, with their willingness to spend big at the concessions ensuring that security will only intervene in extreme circumstances. After the match, these weekend warriors, emboldened by alcohol, attempt to re-enact their favourite scenes from Green Street Hooligans, thinking that vandalizing city property and goading fellow BMO attendees makes them more of a fan.

Or did you follow Parky and FP in stopping after one line that pissed them off?

Parkdale
06-09-2008, 10:39 AM

That sentence sums up my whole problem with the article. I guess that's why you see it as my aversion to anything ultra/hardcore, but I don't think that when it really comes down to it, that we can say it's better for us. Sure we were more excited about getting the team, but were we any more excited when Dichio scored that first goal? I'd never argue that I was more excited than anyone else. We were all going bonkers together, which was why it was special.

TheHollister
06-09-2008, 10:39 AM
I wouldn't necessarily call myself a bandwagon jumper. I was somewhat interested in soccer long before TFC came around. When TFC did come along, I took it as a chance to learn more about the game and support a team.
And no, I don't understand all the rules. The offside rule has been explained to me and it still baffles me at times. No, I don't have every player's name and number memorized. No, I don't attend every game, but believe me, I would if I could afford it; and when I do attend, I stand for the full 90 minutes and pay attention.
Call me a part-time, bandwagon-jumping supporter all you want. I'm learning as much about the game as I can, as quickly as I can.

Roogsy
06-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Or did you follow Parky and FP in stopping after one line that pissed them off?

I normally don't base my opinion on an article by taking one section out of context.

Roogsy
06-09-2008, 10:43 AM
I wouldn't necessarily call myself a bandwagon jumper. I was somewhat interested in soccer long before TFC came around. When TFC did come along, I took it as a chance to learn more about the game and support a team.
And no, I don't understand all the rules. The offside rule has been explained to me and it still baffles me at times. No, I don't have every player's name and number memorized. No, I don't attend every game, but believe me, I would if I could afford it; and when I do attend, I stand for the full 90 minutes and pay attention.
Call me a part-time, bandwagon-jumping supporter all you want. I'm learning as much about the game as I can, as quickly as I can.

And I saw you singing your heart out in Montreal and loved it.

And we love having you in the stands whenever you can make it.

That's all that should matter. /end thread.

Shaughno
06-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Funny cause I am new to the game, but TFC is my number one club. Actually my only. you?

They are my number 2 club, I have no shame in admitting that. That said, I've wished that my #1 club was within driving distance my entire life. I've spent the money to make sure I've experience those live games, but now that I have a 'home' club to cheer for, I'm beyond estatic. There's a reason I get pissed off in the stands. When I turn around singing a song trying to spread it to the rest of 112 and I see them staring at me like I'm the fucking idiot because nobody will join in. Yes I sing every game, even if it's by myself. Yes I jump every game, even if it's by myself. Does that make me a better supporter than the people around me? No. I don't consider them supporters at all actually if they aren't going to 'support' the team in the stands.

Regardless of that, the feeling I get from going to home and away games, I feel it cannot be matched by someone who is just getting into the game.

Shaughno
06-09-2008, 10:44 AM
I normally don't base my opinion on an article by taking one section out of context.

I know you don't, it was a friendly jab. :lol:

flatpicker
06-09-2008, 10:44 AM
I think we all understand what each others opinions are...
and like every other fucking argument that happens in this forum, it usually boils down to one thing...
we all like TFC and we all want to support the team enthusiastically...

redcard
06-09-2008, 10:58 AM
Lets not forget, TFC seasons tickets only sold our after beckham was signed, so a lot of folks are bandwagon jumpers in the truest sense...they just want to see beckham and only show up for the rest of the games because they paid for them...

and lets just see how many fans are in the stands for the Concacaf matches...i bet we wont be sold out, cause becks will not be there...

my prediction the bandwagon jumpers will start to not renew cause becks did not show again...and when he retires or leaves mls...then what, more seats will become available.

adamdz
06-09-2008, 10:59 AM
and when he retires or leaves mls...then what, more seats will become available.

I Hope so!

Toronto_Bhoy
06-09-2008, 11:01 AM
I think we all understand what each others opinions are...
and like every other fucking argument that happens in this forum, it usually boils down to one thing...
we all like TFC and we all want to support the team enthusiastically...

BINGO!

Everyone supports their team in their own way…it frustrates me to read…"if you don't do this…or you don't do that…your not a real supporter…"

That talk is bull shit…

Parkdale
06-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Lets not forget, TFC seasons tickets only sold our after beckham was signed, so a lot of folks are bandwagon jumpers in the truest sense...they just want to see beckham and only show up for the rest of the games because they paid for them...

I give our ticket holders more credit than that. I could be wrong, but I think there were at least 10,000 seats sold before the Beckham announcement.

Shaughno
06-09-2008, 11:04 AM
I give our ticket holders more credit than that. I could be wrong, but I think there were at least 10,000 seats sold before the Beckham announcement.

I do believe it was 6-7k.

JonO
06-09-2008, 11:07 AM
I'm pretty sure we done this before, no? Not everyone who bought after Beckham announced was buying because of Beckham...

Pigfynn
06-09-2008, 11:08 AM
If you go to the games and scream and yell and sing....if you go to the games with your family and cheer and teach your kids the game....if you go to the games and love this team and care about the results...if you can't go to the games, but watch at home and scream at the TV...if you watch from a bar and feel like you need a good result just to have a good week....if you're high when TFC is high and low when they are, you're a person that I respect and have much in common with and you're just as good and as fucking important as any megaphone, banner or drum. END OF.

Parkdale

that's still a very respectable number for an expansion team in an untested market. And it's not like the 10k beyond that just bought for Beckham.

Shaughno
I'm pretty sure we done this before, no? Not everyone who bought after Beckham announced was buying because of Beckham...

Of course!

But seriously, it played a major factor in a lot of people. The fact that in two days there was a surge of something like nearly a thousand tickets sold compared to like 500 or so per week.

Toronto_Bhoy
06-09-2008, 11:10 AM
my prediction the bandwagon jumpers will start to not renew cause becks did not show again...and when he retires or leaves mls...then what, more seats will become available.

So the guys who didn't buy seats when they were available can?

There was plenty of time and reasonably priced seats available for months…before and after Golden Balls signed…what difference does it make when you bought 'em?

You either committed or you didn't…the bandwagon jumpers are the guys who are waiting for the other bandwagoners to jump off so they can jump on!

Shaughno
06-09-2008, 11:11 AM
So the guys who didn't buy seats when they were available can?

There was plenty of time and reasonably priced seats available for months…before and after Golden Balls signed…what difference does it make when you bought 'em?

You either committed or you didn't…the bandwagon jumpers are the guys who are waiting for the other bandwagoners to jump off so they can jump on!

Eh yooooooo! :hump:

flatpicker
06-09-2008, 11:12 AM
I bought my TFC tickets when I realised it would be a good opportunity to practice my Photoshop skills!

Toronto_Bhoy
06-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Eh yooooooo! :hump:

Yep! Becks and I signed around the time…although I bought mine the week before…apparently it was the deciding factor in him joining the league…at least thay's what I tell people!:D

dupont
06-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Yeah.... we have no idea what offside means.

As I understand it, it's when the quarterback kicks the football past the blue line before the streamers are thrown.

denime
06-09-2008, 11:30 AM
It was around 10,500,just before Beckham signed

Nomad
06-09-2008, 11:33 AM
I prefer away matches better than at BMO to be honest.....

I get the point of the article. I also think it's better to initially encourage rather than insult and shame, but if the encouragement doesn't work i'm all for calling people out left and right.

I do not consider myself an elitist when it comes to TFC as i did not avail myself in the first season but i have since been rectifying that this season. I understand the elitist mentality and will probably develop it as time goes on....and when that happens i'll be pretty unapologetic about it too.

ilikemusic
06-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Reads like garbage, but its about what I would expect from anyone who calls them self 'Ultra'.

Jack
06-09-2008, 12:23 PM
Thread done.

It's amazing that after this long we still all resort to the same arguments and make the same points.

Also, it's always the usual suspects.