Yohan
09-19-2009, 11:40 PM
Complete garbge
didnt know hwo to get in behind the defenders

WRONG LINEUP
Cummins clearly did not see game tape from LA vs Dallas game

JonO
09-19-2009, 11:40 PM
Ugly: Donovan and his fucking diving. Man I really hate that guy. Ref never fell for it, but it should have been a yellow...

loconet
09-19-2009, 11:41 PM
Missing Serioux :(

Garcia is not starting material. He needs to be in a car to chase down players

GuelphStorm2007
09-19-2009, 11:42 PM
The Defence was horrible and Garcia was very slow almost Larry Murfey slow. I could not believe all the room Bekham had.

dow117
09-19-2009, 11:42 PM
Good game but once again Cummins gets it wrong ... uses all 3 subs when JDG cramps up and Attakora gets hurt... last 10 mins were horrible !!!
Barret should have been out earlier .... Viiti in earlier / OBW earlier etc etc

kitchener-TFC
09-19-2009, 11:44 PM
Good: We seemed to have some possession throughout the game.
Julian was alright.

Mediocre: The substitutions. They weren't too bad IMO.

Bad: Landy & Becks not being covered.

Ugly: It seemed as though our team didn't show up today.
The plane ride home.

v00d00daddy
09-19-2009, 11:45 PM
Anybody notice the game that Todd Dunivant had?

Sheesh..if he were still here he could be playing left back and we wouldn't even have to give him the captains armband.

Tactically speaking....I'd rather watch the team lose 10-0 then watch them play that bullshit, "whip the ball into the box" on every possession.

We attacked like an amateur team tonight. Over and over and over with the same tired crap.

ren989
09-19-2009, 11:45 PM
Good game but once again Cummins gets it wrong ... uses all 3 subs when JDG cramps up and Attakora gets hurt... last 10 mins were horrible !!!

Barrett should not have even started! How is this guy STILL starting???

trane
09-19-2009, 11:46 PM
I can not imagine a ball being stroke better then Gerba's second. Fuck. He took it quick and , over the keeper and hard, and just one or two inches to high. Fuck.

I know people willl disagree, but we lost not becaue of our offencisve play, which was good, we lost becasue we gave up an easy early goal, and LA was able to sitt back for the rest 75-80 minutes. We pushed hard created chances, and they caught us on the counter. Brennan is done as a defender the left side was empty all night. The first gaols how the fuck do you leve Becks in the box unmarked, we were lucky that his second shot hit the post. I still this team under the right coach does very well. The first link up between JDG and Gerba was perfect. I do not know why we keep on playing four at the back, weh n we do not have four qualuty backs, and while we have four guality DMs. Take oune of the back out, and Vitti and Sanyang could have played instead. The one that shuold have been taken out was Brennan.

Azerban
09-19-2009, 11:46 PM
everybody is bad

cleanse all of toronto with fire and start over

Lennon
09-19-2009, 11:48 PM
For a team with so many creative players we're really slow and predictable. Extremely slow build up and hardly any off the ball movement once we cross the half way line ... sigh ...

DoubleUp
09-19-2009, 11:49 PM
why do they need two defensive mids

??????????

mighty_torontofc_2008
thought this game was one of the better road games since the season KO in Kansas City..we need strikers too many holding midfielders..4 games left
unlikely we will win all four...we will go 2 and 2 win the home games and likely lose the 2 away in Chicago and new york :{..Until this club learns to win away from home then the playoffs will remain hard to acheive.

kitchener-TFC
we can do better

You Liberal? ;)

106-12
09-19-2009, 11:50 PM
I missed the game .I think i should be happy??????

trane
09-19-2009, 11:50 PM
^ Because our backline is shite. But we shuold play two defensive mids and three at teh back instead.

greatwhitenorf
09-19-2009, 11:51 PM
Oh, well, toodle-pip playoffs. Yes, indeed, intercourse this feces.

Another beer, Jeeves, my good man and get me Mourinho's people on the hot line.

TFC USA
09-19-2009, 11:52 PM
So what was the final score?

forza_tfc
09-19-2009, 11:52 PM
Bottom line--great teams start with great coaches. We went with an unknown, and this is what happens.

TFC's next investments should be, in order: Coach, striker (or put Gerba on a treadmill), central defender. Goodnight.

Yohan
09-19-2009, 11:53 PM
So what was the final score?
2-0 LA

TFC USA
09-19-2009, 11:55 PM
Wow another 2-0 loss? Season's over then.

Who should I be angry towards?

Yohan
09-19-2009, 11:57 PM
Wow another 2-0 loss? Season's over then.

Who should I be angry towards?
pretty much entire team

though first half was pretty promising

MG42
09-19-2009, 11:58 PM
typical road game, shouldn't be surprised i guess...

TFC USA
09-19-2009, 11:59 PM
But we're still behind the 5 year plan right?

Manutd #1
09-19-2009, 11:59 PM
Bottom line--great teams start with great coaches. We went with an unknown, and this is what happens.

TFC's next investments should be, in order: Coach, striker (or put Gerba on a treadmill), central defender. Goodnight.
I agree but we did get a striker barret looked good so did gerba whos career do we want to ruin next?
Coach is the most important and we should invest heavily as there is no cap and lets be honest mlse has a ton of money, cummins has no clue
as for cd I think we have 3 good ones in nana(the best by far) Gomez(young will improve and still looks better then gomez) and serioux(I think he was solid as a rock for half a season he faded as he got beat up because we have no depth)

I think we need a lb and rb and I think we trade wynne now well maybe we can get someone in return how bout we get dunavant back as he stop every cross we had tonight

trane
09-20-2009, 12:03 AM
The key too winning on the road, is defending, we cannot defend, we give up easy goals like no team I have ever seen. When we keep on doing that we will never win. Now we can blame this or that attacking player for this game, but when you let an easy early goal, and you let them sit back, in their stadium, YOU HAVE DUCK YOURSELF A DEEP SHITHOLE. We attacked but the theri end was always full of white jerseys.

trane
09-20-2009, 12:05 AM
I agree but we did get a striker barret looked good so did gerba whos career do we want to ruin next?
Coach is the most important and we should invest heavily as there is no cap and lets be honest mlse has a ton of money, cummins has no clue
as for cd I think we have 3 good ones in nana(the best by far) Gomez(young will improve and still looks better then gomez) and serioux(I think he was solid as a rock for half a season he faded as he got beat up because we have no depth)

I think we need a lb and rb and I think we trade wynne now well maybe we can get someone in return how bout we get dunavant back as he stop every cross we had tonight

Agree, this game was not on the strikers, and yes De Ro may not have had his best game but this was not on him.

Yohan
09-20-2009, 12:08 AM
lack of creativity in 2nd half is partially due to everything was going through JDG, and when JDG ran out of gas around 70min mark, so did all the creativity. guevara didn't really link with JDG except on short passes. DeRo was used to everything going through him, and could not adjust. he also didn't get much of service

oh, and TFC giving up around 70min mark due to frustration or whatever

TheWolf
09-20-2009, 12:13 AM
. guevara didn't really link with JDG except on short passes.

their positions are side by side man....what do you want them to do? Cross the ball over to each other in the middle?

kaos197O
09-20-2009, 12:13 AM
why do they need two defensive mids

??????????

Hahahahaha.......I didn't see one! Nor did I see a defense for that matter! Did any of our boys in the back realize they had a man to mark????????????

Stryker
09-20-2009, 12:14 AM
Am I crazy or does Gerba fall down like... ALOT. Seems to go down pretty easy for a heavy man with a low center of gravity.

trane
09-20-2009, 12:15 AM
^ This one goes mostly to Brennan he failed to mark, of all players Beckham , which then created a negative domino effct on the backline.

kaos197O
09-20-2009, 12:16 AM
Am I crazy or does Gerba fall down like... ALOT. Seems to go down pretty easy for a heavy man with a low center or gravity.
For a big man he's real easy to take down! I think he just gets tired and rolls over and has a mini siesta....

Torontotonto
09-20-2009, 12:17 AM

MSLE retired #9 too early.
Were trying to make our first playoffs.
Danny sure could have made a difference tonight with all the chances in the box.

Never giving up hope, but we sure needed those 3 points...

All the best Danny, we always could count on you in these situations, and you have always come through.

You will certainly be missed, but always remembered #9

:scarf::flare::drum::canada::drinking:

Standup105
09-20-2009, 12:18 AM
Disappointing game on many levels...at least JDG looked very comfortable and confident on the ball and will definitely be leading us forward in these last few games. But again, our defense really let us down and our inability to do anything in the final 1/3 of the field cost us again.

FluSH
09-20-2009, 12:20 AM
For a big man he's real easy to take down! I think he just gets tired and rolls over and has a mini siesta....

haha I'm glad someone else noticed... Ali Gerba aka the Cakeboss loves doing the ninja rolls...

Shway
09-20-2009, 12:20 AM

LOL....me and my brother have been debating whether he is fat or muscular.......

I really think hes a little on the fat side, when your fat, you have NO BALANCE

and GERBA has NO BALANCE

Yohan
09-20-2009, 12:21 AM
their positions are side by side man....what do you want them to do? Cross the ball over to each other in the middle?
it was like both of them wanted to be the playmaker and didn't know how to go about it at times

DoubleUp
09-20-2009, 12:25 AM
stupid if you ask me.....How many times did you see deguzman and guevera stand on top of each other sharing the same space they should've jus run around the field one on the others shoulders, and defence is a team effort you dont need to players holding hands

trane
09-20-2009, 12:34 AM
^ They did edn up too close at times, too much probabaly, but it will be worked out.

TheWolf
09-20-2009, 12:35 AM
stupid if you ask me.....How many times did you see deguzman and guevera stand on top of each other sharing the same space they should've jus run around the field one on the others shoulders, and defence is a team effort you dont need to players holding hands

i think i saw it twice. Now how many times have they played with each other? OH.......once. Give them a break. Those two played fine today.

DoubleUp
09-20-2009, 12:41 AM
i think i saw it twice. Now how many times have they played with each other? OH.......once. Give them a break. Those two played fine today.
Its not about the players.......its about the tactic. But Iam sure with you around they'll be just fine

Keyman
09-20-2009, 12:46 AM
I was going to mention Gerba's lack of balance, but it looks as though someone beat me to the punch.

He just has no control of his body whatsoever, it's horrible. He's never in a position to be on the receiving end of a cross, he can't jump, he can't run...he's the polar opposite of versatile. He has a cannon of a shot, and relatively good awareness, but other than that he's extremely ineffective in the box.

TheWolf
09-20-2009, 12:47 AM
Its not about the players.......its about the tactic. But Iam sure with you around they'll be just fine
lol wut?
good one
http://i34.tinypic.com/2cr96k7.gif

UltraSuperMegaMo
09-20-2009, 12:55 AM
I know this isn't Sportsnet's fault, as they use the home team's feed, but this was the worst broadcast ever. I lost count of many times the camera was off the play and how much action was missed for highlights.

Dub Narcotic
09-20-2009, 01:00 AM
Frei should have saved the first goal. He's let in too many soft ones this year.

Dub Narcotic
09-20-2009, 01:02 AM
From BS:

"""
My take away from tonight's game is that I wish we could convince all of our opponents to play a lone overweight striker against us.

That strategy had very little chance of succeeding tonight. I don't care how decent their midfield looks on paper, Ali Gerba alone up top isn't gonna get it done.

And the way they just lobbed cross after cross at our central defense. It's like Toronto hasn't seen us play this year. A perfect example of how not to defeat our defense.

Great night for us.

Landon and Becks far and away our best players.

Important performances from Franklin and Birchall as well.

"""

Blizzard
09-20-2009, 01:41 AM

Forrest said JDG cramped up. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. Considering that JDG's problem came up after a hard tackle, it may not have been cramp at all so I'm not going to hang Cummins for that .... and are you suggesting that we only ever use two subs just in case somebody gets hurt .....

.... it doesn't work that way and you know it!

You're contradicting yourself! You've just mentioned three subs ... ok, so you make those three subs ... and then Nana gets hurt!

Do you even understand what you wrote?

B

Blizzard
09-20-2009, 01:48 AM
I can not imagine a ball being stroke better then Gerba's second. Fuck. He took it quick and , over the keeper and hard, and just one or two inches to high. Fuck.

I know people willl disagree, but we lost not becaue of our offencisve play, which was good, we lost becasue we gave up an easy early goal, and LA was able to sitt back for the rest 75-80 minutes. We pushed hard created chances, and they caught us on the counter. Brennan is done as a defender the left side was empty all night. The first gaols how the fuck do you leve Becks in the box unmarked, we were lucky that his second shot hit the post. I still this team under the right coach does very well. The first link up between JDG and Gerba was perfect. I do not know why we keep on playing four at the back, weh n we do not have four qualuty backs, and while we have four guality DMs. Take oune of the back out, and Vitti and Sanyang could have played instead. The one that shuold have been taken out was Brennan.

Yup. That first goal hangs on Jimmy not being in position to handle that diagonal ball to the LA attacker on the right who then feeds to Becks.

Jimmy has to be there to take care of that section of the field. Instead, our central defender is left to sprint to cover that ball giving Becks the extra space in the middle and you certainly can't give Golden Balls space like that an expect to live.

JDG almost got to Beckham to save the day but the truth is, Jimmy got caught up field and the defence was stretched to cover giving Beckham to do what Beckham does.

Playing from behind on the road, especially on an early goal, is never going to be easy. A bit of luck and we draw or win this thing.

We didn't get that luck.

wzhxvy
09-20-2009, 01:50 AM
Well, was at the game today with ten TFC fans :) some observations:

1. Amado should not be kissing Bruce Arena's and Kobi Jones' ass 10 seconds before kickoff...focus on the game and not looking for your next job

2. Garcia was such a weakness today...every cross was over his head...talk about coaches doing homework, while we kept crossing the ball with the Dc defenders towering over us

3. Dero looked lost...not sure why...

4. Didn't think Barret played that bad

5. We need new chants...they were signigng this is out house at the end of the game

6. Becks sure does sell tshirts...they were going like hot cakes after the game

7. I like Nana...good kid

That's it for now

Blizzard
09-20-2009, 01:50 AM
I know this isn't Sportsnet's fault, as they use the home team's feed, but this was the worst broadcast ever. I lost count of many times the camera was off the play and how much action was missed for highlights.

The L.A. director was garbage. We never did get to see whether or not Beckham head butted Amado on that play! It's as if the L.A. director was covering it up.

Also, there were a number of offsides that should have been replayed but they weren't.

It's as if this director had never worked a soccer match before.

He certainly didn't earn his money tonight!!!

Shakes McQueen
09-20-2009, 03:27 AM
From BS:

"""
My take away from tonight's game is that I wish we could convince all of our opponents to play a lone overweight striker against us.

That strategy had very little chance of succeeding tonight. I don't care how decent their midfield looks on paper, Ali Gerba alone up top isn't gonna get it done.

And the way they just lobbed cross after cross at our central defense. It's like Toronto hasn't seen us play this year. A perfect example of how not to defeat our defense.

Great night for us.

Landon and Becks far and away our best players.

Important performances from Franklin and Birchall as well.

"""

In other words, it's plain for even supporters of other teams to see how tactically inept our fucking coach is.

Things didn't look so bleak in the first half, but quickly fell off in the second. Garcia is bullshit, and should never start for us again. DeRo had a pretty ho-hum outing. Gerba was misused for yet another week.

Same old story, save for DeRo having a bad game. Same problems, and just more clarity that we need to get a new head coach, and a couple of new defenders.

- Scott

Chevy
09-20-2009, 06:46 AM
In other words, it's plain for even supporters of other teams to see how tactically inept our fucking coach is.

Things didn't look so bleak in the first half, but quickly fell off in the second. Garcia is bullshit, and should never start for us again. DeRo had a pretty ho-hum outing. Gerba was misused for yet another week.

Same old story, save for DeRo having a bad game. Same problems, and just more clarity that we need to get a new head coach, and a couple of new defenders.

- Scott

+1. This also became clear to me last night. A large number of coaching staffs have a good cop / bad cop thing working for them. Cummins is the good cop.

We need a bad cop for 2010.

Oldtimer
09-20-2009, 07:01 AM

- Scott

Agreed. It's time to give Cummins the heave-ho. He needed and deserved to be given a chance (not to mention there wasn't much option after JC quite), but he doesn't make the grade. I actually think that the average RPB could pick a better formation than he can, and that's a scary thought.

Also, we do our part at BMO Field and push our team to win. We need a coach that will get these players to win on the road.

BoltonTFC
09-20-2009, 07:31 AM
Frei should have saved the first goal. He's let in too many soft ones this year.

Without Frei, how many wins do they have this year? To blame Frei at all is ridiculous.

Derko
09-20-2009, 07:33 AM
Is it me or did every cross that Brennan attempted not get further than the top of the box and right to a gaggle of LA player! Bad luck on the 2 Gerba chances.
The second LA goal was just TFC pushing to tie the game, the first was, I am afraid to challenge Becks. imo

ensco
09-20-2009, 07:36 AM

Perfect.

London
09-20-2009, 07:38 AM
basically need to win out now!!

ArmenJBX
09-20-2009, 07:52 AM
This season is effectively over. We need to win every single game from this point on. No more fucking around.

JonO
09-20-2009, 07:55 AM
don't know if anyone else caught it, but I believe one of the commentators mentioned that both DeRo and Guevara had missed last week training due to illness. Might explain DeRo's poorer than usual performance.

JonO
09-20-2009, 08:03 AM
Also- we were playing with a pretty short bench last night. Not giving any excuses for the game plan, but the player selection was limited...

WHITEY
09-20-2009, 08:06 AM
Out coached yet again, Cummins is in over his head and should not return next year regardless of some how some way we end up in the playoffs. Why the hell is Barrett still starting? And I'm going to go against popular belief here and come out and say that Wynn is useless! All he can do is run, I swear when he "attempts" to cross a ball into the box he isn't aiming to get it to anybody in particular, he just puts up and hopes for the best! Leave Wynn unprotected in the expansion draft, people believe he is some "asset" what fucking assets does he have? And the notion that he will be on his way to Europe, what fucking team in Europe in their right mind would pay a transfer fee for a defender that is always caught out of position and then has to run back like a son of a bitch to make up of being caught out of position?

ArmenJBX
09-20-2009, 08:13 AM
I think Barrett is playing because the league is trying to force us to use Americans.

I've heard rumbles saying that MLS isn't so happy about the Canadian influx...

Dirk Diggler
09-20-2009, 08:15 AM
Well, was at the game today with ten TFC fans :) some observations:

1. Amado should not be kissing Bruce Arena's and Kobi Jones' ass 10 seconds before kickoff...focus on the game and not looking for your next job

2. Garcia was such a weakness today...every cross was over his head...talk about coaches doing homework, while we kept crossing the ball with the Dc defenders towering over us

3. Dero looked lost...not sure why...

4. Didn't think Barret played that bad

5. We need new chants...they were signigng this is out house at the end of the game

6. Becks sure does sell tshirts...they were going like hot cakes after the game

7. I like Nana...good kid

That's it for now

Were you guys really chanting "This is out house"? If so that would be insanely hilarious. We should do that for all away games.

Bloor West FC
09-20-2009, 08:53 AM
We sucked, we played like shit, no communication on the field at all, Cummins sorry but GOODBYE!!! PLAYOFFS yeah right goodluck, we don't deserve that chance if we keep playing like this. Bunch of sorry ass players on the field. If you can't play ever game with heart you don't deserve to be on the field.

wzhxvy
09-20-2009, 09:20 AM
We weren't chanting anything...there were 10 fans dispersed in the stadium. The Galaxy fans were chanting that...that stadium is nice btw....

mmmikey
09-20-2009, 09:36 AM
giving up the early goal made this very tough on us. La was able to sit back and try to absorb the pressure and let landycakes lead the counter. On the bright side we were able to work the ball through midfield instead of over it, and did a better job of keeping posession simply through better movement off the ball. Garcia is always going to struggle to cover in those cases.. And we still can't score.

All and all, it was at least not brutal to watch this time. Midfield could actually play a passing game. Wow!

But this is what gets me... If u have to score goals, STOP playing a 4-5-1. Does he think he has torres out there? Honestly it is so frustrating.

Oh and I take it Barrett has photos of cummins doing something naughty. Not sure how else the invisible man is getting play time.

bertal
09-20-2009, 09:50 AM
utterly disappointing

ag futbol
09-20-2009, 09:54 AM
Tactically speaking....I'd rather watch the team lose 10-0 then watch them play that bullshit, "whip the ball into the box" on every possession.

Agreed! Our team just isn't built well for that type of strategy. Our crossing quality is terrible and we really don't have a big target to get on the end of them anymore. Plus, when we fall into that trap, the attack is predictable and easy to defend.

The defense we let Brennan and Wynn get away with on a regular basis is shameful. Considering the limitations of our central defenders one or both of them should be dropped. The last thing i want is Garcia trying to cover more space ... he can barely do his job as it stands.

joel
09-20-2009, 09:56 AM
Did anyone see the 'This is our Hoose' sign with terrence and philip on it? It was funny.

FluSH
09-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Did anyone see the 'This is our Hoose' sign with terrence and philip on it? It was funny.

Yeah we were talking about it on the other thread and on the chatbox.... now if they only made them bigger!

koryo
09-20-2009, 10:26 AM
What killed us last night was:

1. Brennan: how can he give Beckham so much room to dictate attacking down his flank? I'm of the opinion that our captain is directly responsible for both goals last night.

2. Cummins: if he ever had the plot, he's lost it. Can someone educate me as to the reasoning behind his substitutions last night?

3. Wynne: had he been in position last night then Buddle would have been closed down instead of scoring a gift. How the hell can you leave a striker unmarked a few yards in front of goal?

On another note:
JDG: I wasn't a fan of his coming here, but he knows how to play football. If he can elevate this team (or drag them, kicking and screaming) to a higher level then I'm prepared to eat my words.

Lucky Strike
09-20-2009, 10:40 AM

Yup I did, chuckled a bit though he don't sound like that.

Despite it being 2-0, this wasn't a road debacle we've seen time and again. The buildup to the first goal is kind of vague in my memory, I don't really remember what led up to it so I can't really comment. All I can say is that it seemed Frei should have stopped the shot.

The second goal was because TFC were pushing for an equalizer. But instead of giving a "well, it sucks but not entirely unexpected" line, that LA goal was created by Brennan. YOU LEAVE DAVID BECKHAM, ONE OF THE BEST PASSERS IN ALL OF HISTORY UNMARKED! WHAT DID YOU THINK WAS GOING TO HAPPEN? It's sad that the two originals have been poor this season, but something needs to be done about that.

JDG did look rusty a bit and he and Guevara tripped over each other a bit at first but I really did like the qualities JDG has, you can see them. He's comfortable on the ball, played his way out of double coverage, made good passes (aside from a few wayward ones which I'll attribute to rust) and looked fairly fit for someone who hadn't played in two months.

DeRosario saw very little of the ball today, probably because everyoe seemed to insist that the play run through JDG. It's like everyone wanted to see what he would do and gave him the ball. I hope JDG won't be used as a crutch - i.e. just give it to him and my job is done kind of mentality.

That excerpt from the LA fan from Big Soccer says it all doesn't it? Even he recognizes that our tactics made no sense. Doesn't the team have someone scouting the next opposition? If no, well someone ought to be hired: there's no salary cap on staff. If yes, either Cummins is even more lost than we though or that scout needs to be fired. Either way, something isn't working here and that's a big problem. But aside from that, I came to the conclusion that Cummins is not the guy going forward and tonight just reinforced it. For instance, the Fellinga substitution made zero sense. I was concerned about having a 4th head coach in four years but it has to be done.

TFC07
09-20-2009, 11:00 AM
I think Barrett is playing because the league is trying to force us to use Americans.

Naw, it's Mo who's forcing the league not to play a lot of Canadian players.

flambe
09-20-2009, 12:17 PM
Our defense was yet again the issue last night, it has been for almost 2 seasons now. You'd think someone (Mo, JC or CC) would have noticed this by now. Honestly it's quite rediculous and highly unacceptable as to how long this has gone on for.

With regards to JDG, considering this was his first game with TFC, I think he did very well. The only problem is, the rest of our team appear to have no idea what he is doing. i.e. their movement off the ball is appalling in comparison.

CC choice of subs and the timing of them still baffles me. He's a useless coach, sorry Chris, but it's true. Come back in 10yrs.

Dub Narcotic
09-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Without Frei, how many wins do they have this year? To blame Frei at all is ridiculous.

Why? He should have saved the first goal. I don't think Frei has been much better than Sutton, he has given up a lot of very soft goals this year. In particular, he seems to have a lot of problems when there is traffic in front of him. I realize that this makes a situation more difficult for a keeper, but it's something you have to deal with as a pro. The Beckham goal this week and the 2nd Colorado goal last week should not have gone in.

a_billi
09-20-2009, 12:18 PM
I agree but we did get a striker barret looked good
Are you mad? when did Barret ever look good. The fire were happy they got rid of such a shitty contract. He honestly has no use on this team. And Cummins is an idiot. For the love of god the lone striker does not work anymore you moron.

Dub Narcotic
09-20-2009, 12:19 PM
What killed us last night was:

1. Brennan: how can he give Beckham so much room to dictate attacking down his flank? I'm of the opinion that our captain is directly responsible for both goals last night.

2. Cummins: if he ever had the plot, he's lost it. Can someone educate me as to the reasoning behind his substitutions last night?

3. Wynne: had he been in position last night then Buddle would have been closed down instead of scoring a gift. How the hell can you leave a striker unmarked a few yards in front of goal?

Wynne had a very good game last night. I don't see why you blame defenders for getting caught upfield when they desperately need a goal. It's the tactically correct thing to do.

Brooker
09-20-2009, 12:51 PM
the good - De Guz

the bad - Gerba, Brennan

the ugly - Barrett, Garcia

mighty_torontofc_2008
09-20-2009, 01:09 PM

It is a league to improve American talent, the fans, TFC, MLSE knew that in advance of us getting a team..Barrett played cause we have NO ONE else :(

mighty_torontofc_2008
09-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Why? He should have saved the first goal. I don't think Frei has been much better than Sutton, he has given up a lot of very soft goals this year. In particular, he seems to have a lot of problems when there is traffic in front of him. I realize that this makes a situation more difficult for a keeper, but it's something you have to deal with as a pro. The Beckham goal this week and the 2nd Colorado goal last week should not have gone in.

Frei is 1000 x better then sutton, sutton was a liability we could NO longer afford. Sutton was King of letting in soft goals that was his special gift.Frei is just coming out of collage and has done a fantastic job..

Stephan Frei
2009 MLS Rookie of the year?
2009 MLS Keeper of the Year?
2009 TFC player of the year!
2009 TFC rookie of the year!

T.O TILL I DIE
09-20-2009, 01:19 PM
ommmgg oncee again are defence is shitt
i REALLY THINK JIM BRENNAN AND GARCIA NEEDS TO GO!
de guzman played alright but u gotta remember its his first game with the team u tend to get nervous and he just getting used to the players,so give him a chance
and gerba hes good but just needs to finish better!

Davenport
09-20-2009, 01:22 PM

Frei is twice the keeper Sutton was. No question.
Most keepers have problems when there's lots of traffic in front of them.
The best keeper in the world would have problems the way TFC defend and run around like headless chickens in their own box.

Candu_88
09-20-2009, 01:31 PM
LA strategy has been for the last two years Beckham making great long passes to the speedy Donovan who times his runs very effectively. Very easy strategy to stop though. Put a speedy defender on Donovan and man mark Beckham. The moment I saw Garcia was in the line up I groaned because I knew we were in big trouble. Gomez and Attakora should have been our central defenders. Playing 4-3-3 gives Beckham too much space as well.

TFC needs a better tactical/strategic coach on the staff.

Kaz
09-20-2009, 01:42 PM
I agree in part with Frei, I think he is on par or better then Sutton, but he has given up goals that Sutton would have saved, but has save goals that Sutton would have missed.. Frei is young enough though that he is improving very fast.

The Key right now is getting a proper head coach (I like Cummins but he doesn't have the skill) a couple proper defenders, at least one proper winger, and players learning to work togeather.

Nodoubtguy
09-20-2009, 01:50 PM
It is a league to improve American talent, the fans, TFC, MLSE knew that in advance of us getting a team..Barrett played cause we have NO ONE else :(

No one else??

what about OBW and Ibby??
Fuck, even put Vitti up there.....

Shakes McQueen
09-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Barrett wasn't the problem last night.

- Scott

Nodoubtguy
09-20-2009, 01:54 PM

- Scott

no, he wasn't.....I'm just pointing out that we have other options.

Beach_Red
09-20-2009, 01:56 PM
It really seems like this team is playing for next year.

Roogsy
09-20-2009, 01:58 PM
The key too winning on the road, is defending, we cannot defend, we give up easy goals like no team I have ever seen. When we keep on doing that we will never win. Now we can blame this or that attacking player for this game, but when you let an easy early goal, and you let them sit back, in their stadium, YOU HAVE DUCK YOURSELF A DEEP SHITHOLE. We attacked but the theri end was always full of white jerseys.

*Roogsy touches nose* (Except it's "dug" a hole Trane :D )

Bang on...a playoff team battles to at least draws on the road if it can't win. Look at LA's record, they have 11 draws this season. When they were missing Beckham (a major cog in their operation) they batted down the hatches and dug out ties until their offensive weapon arrived and now they are winning. Not only are they getting into the playoffs, I predict they will make a run for the finals.

At no point last night did we look dangerous. We did not take the run of play, we did not fight to win a result of any sort. We deserved the loss we got last night and now we have to win the next 3 of 4 to make the playoffs.

Roogsy
09-20-2009, 01:58 PM

- Scott

No, but he wasn't any good either. Nobody stepped up last night.

Dub Narcotic
09-20-2009, 03:07 PM
Frei is twice the keeper Sutton was. No question.
Most keepers have problems when there's lots of traffic in front of them.
The best keeper in the world would have problems the way TFC defend and run around like headless chickens in their own box.

Stefan Frei GAA: 1.47 Save %: 69 (2009)
Greg Sutton GAA: 1.46 Save %: 76 (2008)

If he's 'twice the keeper', the stats sure don't show it. Frei has to make saves like the Beckham shot last night. Even though he is partially screened, he has to focus and react better. He's given up a lot of similar goals this year that have cost TFC a lot.

Roogsy
09-20-2009, 03:13 PM
I agree with Dub.

I think we are falling into the trap that Frei has made spectacular highlight saves.

But he hasn't been consistent and has had serious problems with decision-making in the box. Things a veteran keeper like Sutton didn't have even though he had other problems like distribution.

Opinions like "Frei is significantly better than Sutton" isn't backed up by statistics or results even though in our own minds it may look it.

Shway
09-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Its the next day, and im still PISSED.

ALL IN ALL- The Reason we lost the game

Cummins was playing in the wind, and not Playing to win.
IN A GAME WHERE YOU NEED TO ATTACK, WHY THE HELL WAS DERO PLAYING A CENTRAL ROLE, WHY WAS CRONIN A NON ATTACKIVE PLAYER PLAYING ON THE WING, WHEN YOU HAVE MR. VIITTI ON THE BENCH.

I even heard in the broadcast at one point him say "tell sammy to play high".

CUMMINS needs to be put back to his original job, or he needs to coach our future reserve team.

Because he doesnt know how to work with the strong group of players we got.

LIKE WHAT KIND OF FORMATION WERE WE PLAYING.

4-5-1?

Kaz
09-20-2009, 03:32 PM
why would it even look like it?
Frei as been a decent keeper and is learning but he's let in some shots that an experienced keeper wouldn't have, he's made glaring errors in judgment. But has played very well in his first season and will continue to improve, but he isn't the keeper that Sutton was in his prime or even Onstead is now, at least not yet.

Dub Narcotic
09-20-2009, 03:36 PM
I agree with Dub.

I think we are falling into the trap that Frei has made spectacular highlight saves.

But he hasn't been consistent and has had serious problems with decision-making in the box. Things a veteran keeper like Sutton didn't have even though he had other problems like distribution.

Opinions like "Frei is significantly better than Sutton" isn't backed up by statistics or results even though in our own minds it may look it.

Good points. Don't get me wrong, I like Frei, and I'm more than happy that he will be the keeper for the next few years, *but*, I don't think he's had a great year, I don't think he's an above-average keeper in MLS and I think he has a lot of work to do to get the top tier of MLS keepers, never mind Europe.

His main problem is the one I outlined above, that he does not deal well with partial screens. He also tends to hang back in the box (look at the Casey goal against Colorado) when he shouldn't. A lot of Sutton's blunders came about from going for balls and missing, Frei has the opposite problem but with similar results.

Dirk Diggler
09-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Completely agree with you Dub ... its not a slight on Frei but there is no way that he has been as good as some people are making him out to be. He has made quite a few mistakes but people do not seem to call him out for it. All of this is fine in my opinion ... for goalkeepers there is absolutely no substitute for experience ... but people are indeed letting a few highlight reel saves cloud their judgement.

Oldtimer
09-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Its the next day, and im still PISSED.

ALL IN ALL- The Reason we lost the game

Cummins was playing in the wind, and not Playing to win.
IN A GAME WHERE YOU NEED TO ATTACK, WHY THE HELL WAS DERO PLAYING A CENTRAL ROLE, WHY WAS CRONIN A NON ATTACKIVE PLAYER PLAYING ON THE WING, WHEN YOU HAVE MR. VIITTI ON THE BENCH.

I even heard in the broadcast at one point him say "tell sammy to play high".

CUMMINS needs to be put back to his original job, or he needs to coach our future reserve team.

Because he doesnt know how to work with the strong group of players we got.

LIKE WHAT KIND OF FORMATION WERE WE PLAYING.

4-5-1?

Cummin's quote:

"We lacked a bit of penetration in the final third," said TFC head coach Chris Cummins.

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090920&content_id=7060160&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

So you noticed there was a lack up front, eh? Maybe you should have done something about it, CC.

mighty_torontofc_2008
09-20-2009, 05:22 PM
No one else??

what about OBW and Ibby??
Fuck, even put Vitti up there.....

OBW they dont want to rush just in his rookie season, and coming off that injury..this is the one thing the club has done right..protect the future..
IBBY expect to be released in the off season,Vitti, lets hope he finds his
game quick.

Manutd #1
09-20-2009, 06:04 PM
I agree with Dub.

i think frei very good and has a alot of potential but I think at some point Edwards shoulda got more games in.....I think Frei's weakest point is attacking the ball the connor cassey goal btoh weeks coulda been cleared by him but that will come with experience

Walnut
09-20-2009, 08:48 PM
I watched the game last night with my Dad, who is over from England. He has never seen TFC play. He was shocked at how unfit the entire team looked / performed. He was also surprised by how one dimensional they are, and why they didn't bother to mark Beckham. He also said they played like a team that was already eliminated from contention.

I agree with everything he had to say :(

Sonny Cheeba
09-20-2009, 09:00 PM
i don't even feel like talking about what we could have done better.... it's getting to be pointless.

even our win last week was fairly lucky to me. we played well, but let in two goals that we shouldn't have.

JDG has great placement of his passes. spot on, too bad Gerba almost didn't seem to expect it half the time.

we were shit.

Shway
09-20-2009, 11:05 PM
Cummin's quote:

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090920&content_id=7060160&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

So you noticed there was a lack up front, eh? Maybe you should have done something about it, CC.

Absolute joke,
but hey, next week in Chicago
same formation

jloome
09-20-2009, 11:18 PM
I was going to write the usual long thread breaking down our tactical errors, character weakeness and coaching gaffes.

But I no longer have the strength of will. It's a shame, because he seems like a good man, but Cummins is either entirely out of his depth or is being hamstrung by personnel dictates from Mo. I'm not sure that's the case. I don't really know. It just seems baffling to me that he'd continue to see starting value in players whom we've seen fail in a 4-3-3 system time and time again. He plays a poacher alone. He plays Garcia at Centre Half and Jimmy at left back. He starts Chad Barrett.

Bah.

Carts
09-20-2009, 11:19 PM
I would start Edwards in Chicago...

Frie needs to see there's competition for the number-1 spot (even if there appears not to be)...

Players need to see that there is repercussions game in and game out... The team has allowed 4-goals in 2-games (I say 'team' because its not all on the keeper) and allowing 2-goals a game is a fail...

Cummins needs to get this room and roster back, and get it back quick... Maybe when the lads see the lineup in Chicago and see Edwards getting the start (and some other starting changes) it might light a fire under their asses...

Carts...

DangerRed
09-21-2009, 12:26 AM
What a disaster this was. I know I'm late to the bitching party, but damn... Gerba put up something nice for a while, but we just weren't the better team, yet again.

Also - I know I'm patting my own back here, but I called this. I said a while back that we'd have a good rematch against Colorado that would get our playoff hopes up again before collapsing. And here we are.

If you think we're going to beat the Fire at their home, you're dreaming.
Said it before, will say again: no playoffs.

SilverSamurai
09-21-2009, 12:38 AM
What a disaster this was. I know I'm late to the bitching party, but damn... Gerba put up something nice for a while, but we just weren't the better team, yet again.

Also - I know I'm patting my own back here, but I called this. I said a while back that we'd have a good rematch against Colorado that would get our playoff hopes up again before collapsing. And here we are.

If you think we're going to beat the Fire at their home, you're dreaming.
Said it before, will say again: no playoffs.
You can't expect Gerba to do it all.
He's a poacher. It's what he does best. He really looks like he needs some help out there.
DeRo shouldn't be playing as a striker though. It's obviously not working...

I have to agree though. Playoffs won't be happening. Still I'd love to be wrong though.
Doesn't mean I won't be watching games anymore though. I'm not turning my back on my beloved TFC. :scarf:

DangerRed
09-21-2009, 12:47 AM
You can't expect Gerba to do it all.
He's a poacher. It's what he does best. He really looks like he needs some help out there.
DeRo shouldn't be playing as a striker though. It's obviously not working...

I have to agree though. Playoffs won't be happening. Still I'd love to be wrong though.
Doesn't mean I won't be watching games anymore though. I'm not turning my back on my beloved TFC. :scarf:

Gerba's just a small piece of the puzzle. There's a lot broken here. More than just our inability to finish. It starts aaaaaaaaaaaall the way back with Grandpa Garcia.

But of course, you're right. I'll never give up on this team, no matter the frustration and heartbreak. I have tickets to both remaining home games and will watch the away ones.

This is just a season, a sad chapter of unrealized potential in the club's history. There will be many more and I sure as shit will be part of them, fail or succeed.

:scarf::scarf::scarf:

felipe
09-21-2009, 08:06 AM
Barrett played well...that was a killer pass to Gerba that he nailed the bar with...and he tracks back remarkably well; he defiently has a future as an outside mid - his athleticism, vision, and work ethic are all above average for our team and the league as a whole; even his technique is good - you could argue the only thing wrong with Chad is his composure - maybe a sports psychiatrist could do wonders for him?

TFC Tifoso
09-21-2009, 08:22 AM
The problem with Barrett is that he's become the scapegoat now and has the horns......anything that goes wrong, no matter how minor of a role he may have had in it, is gonna be put on him......similar to Cunningham when he was here......can't see Barrett still with TFC through the end of next year....

Steve
09-21-2009, 08:26 AM
The problem with Barrett is that he's become the scapegoat now and has the horns......anything that goes wrong, no matter how minor of a role he may have had in it, is gonna be put on him......similar to Cunningham when he was here......can't see Barrett still with TFC through the end of next year....

Don't worry, once he gets run out of town here I'm sure he'll find a new team, and do exceedingly well with them (see Buddle and Cunningham). Then, this board will have posts like "Mo is an idiot for getting rid of Barrett!".

Oldtimer
09-21-2009, 08:32 AM
you could argue the only thing wrong with Chad is his composure - maybe a sports psychiatrist could do wonders for him?

I think there is a lot of truth in that.

On a related note, I remember once meeting a chiropractor who'se practice was mostly sports chiropracty. He had a sideline going in treating anxiety related to sports performance. I would prefer an actual psychologist, however, there is a real need out there.

Belfast_Boy
09-21-2009, 08:46 AM
we were out classed. sure there's little things that could have been done better. Frei made mistakes, but the ball also had to go through 10 men before it got to him.
Beckham was Beckham and that dangerous for any opponent. JDG will get better it was only his first game.
There's a reason that they have 4 guys playing next summer and we don't.

I watched the game with the sound turned off.

trane
09-21-2009, 08:47 AM
I was going to write the usual long thread breaking down our tactical errors, character weakeness and coaching gaffes.

But I no longer have the strength of will. It's a shame, because he seems like a good man, but Cummins is either entirely out of his depth or is being hamstrung by personnel dictates from Mo. I'm not sure that's the case. I don't really know. It just seems baffling to me that he'd continue to see starting value in players whom we've seen fail in a 4-3-3 system time and time again. He plays a poacher alone. He plays Garcia at Centre Half and Jimmy at left back. He starts Chad Barrett.

Bah.

Jimmy is done. As a defender his perfomance has gone down every year. Perhaps he was best as a CB, as in year one.

Garcia, is not without attributes, but the bottom line for me, is that he is too short, and too weak to play as a CB, and to top it off he is slow, which in most cases CB are able to work around by being physical, which he cannot. He is not skilled enough to compesate for any of his other deficiencies, for 90 minutes.

Wynne, is the same old same old, but his play was better then the other two. Brennans faults were certainly highlited due to him failure to mark Beckham.

v00d00daddy
09-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Not that I think Frei is perfect but I think the fact that we're now picking apart his game is just a product of the fact that most people here are absolutely frustrated and getting fed up with this team.

Frei has been good this year. Not perfect but not bad by any stretch.

He has a bad team in front of him. It's just that simple.

As for Barrett......when he leaves TFC he will not be turning things around at his new team. Some of you guys make it sound like he didn't get a chance here.

The guy has been given a ton of opportunity and failed. The only reason people still dfnd him is because he works hard and hustles. Not that all that hustle does him any good.

Give up on Chad Barrett.

Shakes McQueen
09-21-2009, 11:51 AM

Bah.

I don't begrudge him the decision to start Brennan, since his only other real option would be to start Fellinga - who has a whopping 15 minutes or so of first team action to date (though he looked alright in that time).

However, the decision to start Garcia was mind-blowing. And sure enough, he's 10 yards behind the play on Beckham's goal, and JDG is forced to try and run over to do his job. And that was, what? Five minutes in to the game?

- Scott

trane
09-21-2009, 12:01 PM
^ If you insist on playing 4 at the back, then yes that is your only option. But we clearly do not have the 4 defenders needed to play 4 at the back. Both Wynne and even Brennan give more comming forward, then as defenders.

The marking, the spacing on the defense was as horrible as I have seen watching TFC/MLS. Brennan has to share the blame for this, as both goals were scored by play from the right wing, and on both goals there was no TFC defender on the right wing, LA's right wing that is, forget about marking the player comming down the right, wing, there was simple no one there. PERIOD. I am not angry at Brennan, but observing him, I realy think that his days as a defender are done.

Shakes McQueen
09-21-2009, 12:07 PM
^ If you insist on playing 4 at the back, then yes that is your only option. But we clearly do not have the 4 defenders needed to play 4 at the back. Both Wynne and even Brennan give more comming forward, then as defenders.

The marking, the spacing on the defense was as horrible as I have seen watching TFC/MLS. Brennan has to share the blame for this, as both goals were scored by play from the right wing, and on both goals there was no TFC defender on the right wing, LA's right wing that is, forget about marking the player comming down the right, wing, there was simple no one there. PERIOD. I am not angry at Brennan, but observing him, I realy think that his days as a defender are done.

Oh, don't confuse what I said for endorsing the job Brennan did - I think Brennan's play has dropped off considerably. I was just saying that Cummins had no other options with any real first team experience.

And yes, I suppose we could have gone to a three man backline, though I wonder how badly we would get butchered by LA's offense.

- Scott

trane
09-21-2009, 12:11 PM
^ If we played three at the back, the back three need to stay home. Not wonder up the field like both our fullbacks way to often. That would be the point of playing three at the back, when we have done it this season, mostly a switch durring the game, it was worked.