PDA

View Full Version : Forget the cap - Domestic player rule needs changing

Pookie
09-19-2009, 02:41 PM
We've gone on many a discussion about the salary cap and whether increasing it would lead to improved play within the league. I'd like to draw your attention to something else that could have a major impact on TFC's success in the years ahead, if it isn't already now.

The MLS is a Development league. As such, it requires that each team carry a roster of 20 players (plus 4 developmental players), only 8 of which can be International slots. Now, these slots can be traded so the number isn't set in stone.

For US based teams, that means 12 US born players are required on each roster.

For Toronto FC, that international allotment is increased to 13 players and 5 of those players can be Americans. That means TFC must have 7 Canadians on the roster of 20.

I don't think there is any question as to the relative health of USA Soccer vs Canadian Soccer and perhaps this quota system is the way to improve our program.

That said, it puts TFC at a disadvantage relative to other clubs.

Further, as Vancouver enters the league and faces the same requirements, we will be competing in a very shallow talent pool. Add Montreal to the mix and you are now looking at finding 21 Canadian players willing to play in the MLS and that can contribute to their clubs.

Might this rule have more of an impact on our future than any discussion of salary cap?

Yohan
09-19-2009, 03:04 PM
I believe there was talk of changing rules so both Canadian and US players qualify as domestic, but USSF quashed it

sulfur
09-19-2009, 03:11 PM
The MLS was created as a development league for the USSF. As such, anything that disadvantages them, they veto.

Kaz
09-19-2009, 03:45 PM
I think that if the CSA were to have seen TFC as a reason to get things moving in the development of Canadian talent over the last three years, then it wouldn't have been as big an issue.

However that being said there are currently 25 Canadians playing between the Whitecaps and the Impact. only 14 of them need move into the MLS.

We know that both teams can compete so I don't see any real issue with the rule at the moment.

and though I'm not sure about the Impact, I know the Whitecaps already have a developed Academy system so I'm not worried about it at all with the current state of the MLS.

My only worry is no teams to take the place of whitecaps and the Impact, I'd really love to see 3 new Tier 2 teams come in to help bring in more Canadian talent on top of the academy systems.

TFC07
09-19-2009, 04:09 PM
Disadvantage? More like advantage since TFC got more international roster slots than US teams. Just because Mo is idiot and knows jack about Canadian soccer players doesn't mean there is a major problem. Vancouver and Montreal both had more Canadian players than us and they held their own against us (in fact last year, TFC didn't even win Canadian Championship against two USL canadian clubs who were fielding mostly Canadian players).

Anyway, MLS needs to be more liberal when comes to academy. These academy players are going to help out Canadian teams to fill out their roster to fill in domestic slots.

Yohan
09-19-2009, 04:12 PM
hey c'mon now. Mo's got Attakora in TFC books since season 1 ;)

rocker
09-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Vancouver and Montreal both had more Canadian players than us and they held their own against us (in fact last year, TFC didn't even win Canadian Championship against two USL canadian clubs who were fielding mostly Canadian players).

In fact, TFC has the most points in the two years of the Nutrilite...

TFC07
09-19-2009, 04:17 PM
In fact, TFC has the most points in the two years of the Nutrilite...

But yet, they didn't win first year tournament while barely winning 2nd year tournament against a team fielding mostly their b team plus couple of academy players. :facepalm:

rocker
09-19-2009, 04:19 PM
But yet, they didn't win first year tournament while barely winning 2nd year tournament against a team fielding mostly their b team plus couple of academy players. :facepalm:

And Montreal blew chunks in their second year, WITH ALL THOSE CANADIANS.

And on June 2 of this year, TFC started MORE CANADIANS than Vancouver did (5-4).

TFC07
09-19-2009, 04:30 PM
And Montreal blew chunks in their second year, WITH ALL THOSE CANADIANS.

So what? They played a lot of games and besides, they were some conflict within' team which hurt their chemistry. Also they fired their coach.

And on June 2 of this year, TFC started MORE CANADIANS than Vancouver did (5-4).

So what? Good for TFC.

But then again, TFC invested (continue to do so) into Canadian players after realizing how horrible most of their international signings were.

Pookie
09-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Disadvantage? More like advantage since TFC got more international roster slots than US teams.

It's all perspective.

US Teams are allotted 8 Internationals and 12 Americans

TFC is allotted 8 Internationals, 5 Americans and 7 Canadians

The issue is whether, on average, 12 Americans are better than 5 Americans and 7 Canadians given the talent pool from which to draw...

AND does that opinion change when there are more Canadian teams dipping into the same (limited) talent pool to get their Canadians.

From a development perspective, it's probably a good thing for Canadian soccer. From a "success in the MLS" standpoint, it might be a disadvantage until the talent pool in Canada increases.

S_D
09-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Nutralite, best team in Canada debate again?

:deadhorse:

VanWC will be fine.

1) Go look at their residency system. As soon as they join the MLS they will have the top program, no debate.
2) There are other Canadian players in the MLS who may be made available through trade.
3) There are other Canadian players who may be available through the expansion draft.
4) There are unemployed Canadians *cough* Sutton *cough* who can fill in as subs
5) Just because you need 7 Canadians doesn't mean you need 7 starting Canadians. Don't even need most of them on the bench.
6) They already have a relationship with FC Energie Cottbus, and have sent 7 players there, 1 sold the rest on loan. Guess who their first team keeper is??. CMNT Lars Hirschfield. Not saying they would get him of couse, but having a relationship and Kerfoot money always helps.
7) They have a couple of Canadians on their roster already who will be adequate for a MLS start up team.

And if they are a bit short I am sure they can hit Garber up for a few American slots. If anything, the MLS has shown a willingness to adapt, especially if it falls within the USSF mandate.

netsan
09-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Soccer is Canada's number 1 participant sport. The future is bright. Keep it the way it is.

Fort York Redcoat
09-21-2009, 10:29 AM
They can fuss with the numbers of slots but I don't see it as the biggest issue. Eventually football will be Canada's second sport and the kids will want to go pro at home en masse.

MartinUtd
09-21-2009, 11:11 AM
I'm sure if we're desperate we can sign Pozniak again... or at least Vancouver will

TFCUNITED
09-21-2009, 11:47 AM
I wouldn't be suprised if Pozniak signs with Vancouver.