PDA

View Full Version : Time for Carl Robinson to move to CB?

Yohan
09-19-2009, 11:24 AM
Bob Larusci got me thinking on his show with Nigel Reed.

I think it's safe to say that we are stacked at DM, with Sanyang, JDG, Cronin and Serioux being able to play that spot.

That leaves Robbo out, who haven't had a good season.

Robbo still has a lot of defensive qualities. Decent marking, hard tackler. Reads the game well. He is also a decent communicator and a leader.

He is on a bit of short side, and he is slowing down. However, his biggest knock, his passing play this season would be negated because he will no longer be expected to make that first pass in midfield.

Seems no real solution has been found in CB pairing, why not give this a shot? Robbo with Attakora/Serioux

Of course, Robbo would be a slightly faster version of Garcia and this experiment turns into junk.

However, Robbo does need a job, and it looks like it won't be at DM

InTheCrowd
09-19-2009, 11:39 AM
I think it's definitely worth trying.

Dunc
09-19-2009, 11:42 AM
I don't know why it already hasn't been tried this season. Robbo looked better than any of our other centre halves when he played that position in past seasons.

Yohan
09-19-2009, 11:47 AM
I don't know why it already hasn't been tried this season. Robbo looked better than any of our other centre halves when he played that position in past seasons.
he's never played CB a full game. IIRC the few games that Robbo did play CB was in emergency situations, even if he did look good

Big Bruva
09-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Robbo is no CB, yeah he played there to cover but really can't see it being a good option week in week out especially when he doesnt want to play there either.

TFC are stacked in the DM position but will al those players be there in the near future?

MG42
09-19-2009, 12:35 PM
There isn't really anywhere left for him to play...maybe try and get a first round pick for him...MoJo's draft record has been decent...if you can't get anything for him then I'd leave him unprotected in the expansion draft.

Blizzard
09-19-2009, 12:48 PM
he's never played CB a full game. IIRC the few games that Robbo did play CB was in emergency situations, even if he did look good

Colorado last year during a period of many international absences, he played the full game at CB. That was the match where Chad scored on a spectacular free kick and we won one nil.

He was extremely good. I've been saying for over a year that Robbo might be our saviour in the back four.

It's the move to make although he probably would prefer to stay in the MF but it's either that or the bench. I think he'd rather avoid the bench.

ensco
09-19-2009, 12:54 PM
Or he could retire, and Dichio could unretire.

TFC07
09-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Here's a better idea: let's not play players outta their positions. Seriously, when TFC going to a get proper CB and wingers? :facepalm:

BTW, TFC better get rid of Robbo after this season.

v00d00daddy
09-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Here's a better idea: let's not play players outta their positions. Seriously, when TFC going to a get proper CB and wingers? :facepalm:

BTW, TFC better get rid of Robbo after this season.

Here here.

v00d00daddy
09-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Bob Larusci got me thinking on his show with Nigel Reed.

I think it's safe to say that we are stacked at DM, with Sanyang, JDG, Cronin and Serioux being able to play that spot.

That leaves Robbo out, who haven't had a good season.

Robbo still has a lot of defensive qualities. Decent marking, hard tackler. Reads the game well. He is also a decent communicator and a leader.

He is on a bit of short side, and he is slowing down. However, his biggest knock, his passing play this season would be negated because he will no longer be expected to make that first pass in midfield.

Seems no real solution has been found in CB pairing, why not give this a shot? Robbo with Attakora/Serioux

Of course, Robbo would be a slightly faster version of Garcia and this experiment turns into junk.

However, Robbo does need a job, and it looks like it won't be at DM

Why does he "need" a job. He has a job. He's a DM. Now TFC have 2, maybe 3 better at the same position.

Robbo is redundant. Plain and simple.

Play out the season with him on the bench nursing an injury and let him go in the off season. His 300k plus salary will be more than enough to lure a decent CB.

I'm so happy the Robbo love-fest is almost over.

Kaz
09-19-2009, 01:28 PM
It's going to be an interesting winter for him for sure...
sadly I think it's more likely to see guevera disappear in the off season, JDG take up his spot and Robbo stay in a DM position... just a hunch, one that I don't want to see to be honest.

I'd much prefer JDG in his natural position and one more season with guevera.

v00d00daddy
09-19-2009, 01:30 PM
It's going to be an interesting winter for him for sure...
sadly I think it's more likely to see guevera disappear in the off season, JDG take up his spot and Robbo stay in a DM position... just a hunch, one that I don't want to see to be honest.

I hope you're wrong too. Robbo's mentality does not mesh with the players TFC now have.

JDG
DeRo
Guevara
Cronin
even Vitti

All like the ball at their feet. Robbo treats it like a live grenade. Nice guy, but his TFC days better be numbered.

Section 117
09-19-2009, 05:03 PM
I have disagree that we have more talented DM then Robbo with the exception of JDG. Sanygang is going to be second coming of Harmse he is extremely reckless on multiple tackles in every game which IMO is a serious problem.

I say keep Robo as cover and when the time comes play Robo and JDG as two DM would help cover our horrid defence and JDG can play box to box. IMO

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-19-2009, 05:20 PM
disagree we need ....CB...that can win a ball in the AIR!!! Too many goals givin in our box late in the game from a ball in the air onto an opponent! BACK OF THE NET!..

OUR defence is brutal in the AIR!

Shakes McQueen
09-19-2009, 06:05 PM
I love Robbo, and I think he has definite strengths as a player, but with the acquisition of a DP who can play CDM way better than he can, I really think Robbo needs to either retire, or be moved. I'm hoping for the former, so he can finish out his career as a Red. Maybe give him a position as a coach with the academy too?

This has been a pretty bad season for Robbo, and we just can't afford to spend $300K on players whose game is regressing big time due to age. Plus, Robbo's generally a terrible passer - how will that mesh with a midfield consisting of guys like Guevara and JDG, well versed in the Latin, pass-heavy style of play?

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
09-19-2009, 06:06 PM
I have disagree that we have more talented DM then Robbo with the exception of JDG. Sanygang is going to be second coming of Harmse he is extremely reckless on multiple tackles in every game which IMO is a serious problem.

I say keep Robo as cover and when the time comes play Robo and JDG as two DM would help cover our horrid defence and JDG can play box to box. IMO

Under the MLS cap, we can't afford to pay $300k for a depth player. If Robbo wants to take a big pay cut? Sure. But I doubt he will.

- Scott

Kaz
09-19-2009, 06:18 PM
think we can do a straight trade for Rio Ferdinand Man U will go for it I'm sure.. Mo is amazing at that stuff.... he is the greatest person ever I'm sure he can convince them... oh wait.. sorry was having a waking dream...

Derko
09-19-2009, 08:19 PM
Or he could retire, and Dichio could unretire.

Not likely, I actually think Robbo would be best suited to take a reduced contract, fit in when needed. If anything he is a professional and a tutor to young players ala Edu,Cronin. I would have liked to see DD in that role but is in that role as a coach, perhaps the same with Robbo.

just my opinion

v00d00daddy
09-19-2009, 10:31 PM
Robbo should not be teaching anybody how to play the game....unless he goes back in time 20 years...then his style would be all the rage.

Let him retire....give him a parade for all I care. I just don't want him to be affiliated with anything tactical with this team.

RPLProducer
09-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Yeah i remember this game and he was a rock! Our backline has looked horrible all year... Why not give this a shot?

Colorado last year during a period of many international absences, he played the full game at CB. That was the match where Chad scored on a spectacular free kick and we won one nil.

He was extremely good. I've been saying for over a year that Robbo might be our saviour in the back four.

It's the move to make although he probably would prefer to stay in the MF but it's either that or the bench. I think he'd rather avoid the bench.

Vince Whirlwind
09-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Maybe it's time to utilize him (or one of the other defenders) in a sweeper role?

Frei
-Robinson-
Wynne---Serioux--Nana
Sanyang
DeRosario--DeGuzman--Guevera
Gerba--OBW

Ossington Mental Youth
09-21-2009, 08:41 PM
I love Robbo, and I think he has definite strengths as a player, but with the acquisition of a DP who can play CDM way better than he can, I really think Robbo needs to either retire, or be moved. I'm hoping for the former, so he can finish out his career as a Red. Maybe give him a position as a coach with the academy too?

This has been a pretty bad season for Robbo, and we just can't afford to spend $300K on players whose game is regressing big time due to age. Plus, Robbo's generally a terrible passer - how will that mesh with a midfield consisting of guys like Guevara and JDG, well versed in the Latin, pass-heavy style of play?

- Scott

Im with you on this.
I do think he will either retire or they will move back to England and he will play at a lower level for a few more years (whcih is heartbreaking but hes gotta do what hes gotta do). I do think we will see Guevara leave too at the end of the season as well

arbogast
09-21-2009, 08:58 PM

at 300K he's too expensive to keep as cover. i agree Robbo's more level headed than Sanyang, but he just takes up way too much cap space.

felipe
09-22-2009, 08:24 AM
I had given this a thought as well - moving Robbo or Brennan to DC - the only problem is, neither of them would be much of an upgrade from Garcia, they pretty much have the same positive attributes as Garcia and same lack of size and strength - it would be a sideways step - and ultimatley pointless.

Either send Nana out every week (with Serioux) so he develops the mental side of his game and live with the mistakes and inexperience - or go find a stud central defender to team him with. Nana will be that stud in time - but hes not now.

Getting Garcia was a good idea - he's a leader, smart, positionally sound...

Who knows really, just being able to control the ball in midfield now with JDG - finally able to keep possession - may make our D seem a lot less faillable - it is a team game after all.

Maybe changes aren't needed in D?

Hmm...maybe move Wynne to left back so he can cut inside and rip apart the interior (slower centre D's) of the opposition - Barrett in left mid has the pace and brains and work ethic to complement/back up Wynne greatly? Put Serioux on right D? I really don't like him as a central D...where's Harmse when you need him? Oh yeah, he morphed into Serioux...Seriously though, get Kevin back. Anyone see Hoilet on the weekend? Wow..bags of pace, talent, guts, brains, packed into a 4 foot body...could work harder I guess, but thats nitpicking...What about those other two identical Cdn centre mids we had with the same first name? I know one's in Charleston...beautiful town Charleston...I think DMB started out there, or was that Charlotte?

I don't know...what the hell was I talking about....

olegunnar
09-22-2009, 08:31 AM
Yeah great idea
Let's have yet another player play out of position.

Blizzard
09-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Yeah i remember this game and he was a rock! Our backline has looked horrible all year... Why not give this a shot?

He was indeed a rock IMO. Superb tackling, good cover and a man in charge! Garcia was going to be that man in charge but his lack of pace and poor leaping abilities have hurt us badly.

I still feel that Garcia is a smart soccer player but he just cannot physically do the things that we need back there.

That said, I still do not blame him for that Connor Casey goal. When a defender is expecting a keeper to come for a ball (a ball that most of us agree he should have gone for), he is obviously going to play things a bit differently. Frei left Garcia out to dry on that play.

Anyway, back to Robbo. I'd like to see him at CB for the rest of this season. There's no shame in that Robbo. Players do change position as the years go by.