PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Saturday, Sept.19

denime
09-19-2009, 07:28 AM
Mornin'

Toronto Tracking a Wounded Los Angeles (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090918&content_id=7031782&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

De Guzman assumes big role (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/de-guzman-assumes-big-role/article1294100/)

David Beckham leaves mark on North American soccer (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/article/698053)

http://i38.tinypic.com/300ctoi.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/30cwp6c.jpg

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

ArmenJBX
09-19-2009, 07:35 AM
morning D.

We need a sounders win, a Dallas win/tie, a Houston win and a TORONTO FC win.

Let's do this thing. :D

koryo
09-19-2009, 07:57 AM
We'd better be up for it tonight. After the stuffing they received at home against Dallas last week, LA will be out for blood.

Redpunkfiddle
09-19-2009, 08:10 AM
morning D.

We need a sounders win, a Dallas win/tie, a Houston win and a TORONTO FC win.

Let's do this thing. :D

Disagree. A draw is safest, and with Chivas having 7 games left they are better positioned to overtake Seattle (who have only one home game left after this).

Besides the points game, I also believe the Sounders have done well enough for their first year thank you very much and don't need to make the playoffs. Can't have all that success too quick- won't build character...

ArmenJBX
09-19-2009, 08:31 AM
Gotcha :D

pekduck
09-19-2009, 08:31 AM
keep things simple, get 3 pts, focus on our own game... come on boys

sidvan
09-19-2009, 08:36 AM
really suspect penalty given in 93rd minute of crapids game - result doesn't help us much

olegunnar
09-19-2009, 08:42 AM
really suspect penalty given in 93rd minute of crapids game - result doesn't help us much

It's that time of year again.
Remember last year? When Dallas kept getting injury time penalties so they could make the playoffs and play against Houston?

Here's the last 3 penalties awarded in MLS....

09/13/2009 CHV 2 vs NE 0 Sacha Kljestan Matt Reis G 94+
09/13/2009 CLB 2 vs HOU 1 Eddie Gaven Pat Onstad G 91+
09/18/2009 COL 1 at SJ 1 Conor Casey Joe Cannon G 95+

ArmenJBX
09-19-2009, 08:44 AM
95+!?

I'm sorry, but something's really wrong here. You can't give away a penalty at 95 minutes. That's ridiculous.

CoachGT
09-19-2009, 08:47 AM

It was a real penalty. Stupid play by the defender late in the game.

Parkdale
09-19-2009, 08:48 AM
from the Star article:

Brand Beckham, complete with the tattooed body, glamourous wife and metrosexual lifestyle, joined the Galaxy in July 2007 after leaving European giant Real Madrid.

the hell is a 'metrosexual lifestyle'? I've heard of a homosexual lifestyle but never a metrosexual one. I guess that means that haircare products and spa treatments are a defining part of his life? Or is it simply that he wears sharp suits and expensive, fashionable things? He's worth a freakin' billion dollars, I should hope he's got at least one pair of nice shoes.

London
09-19-2009, 08:49 AM

seen a better replay today. arm over the shoulder of an attacker = penalty.

even though the guy did a good embelishment

JonO
09-19-2009, 08:56 AM
95+!?

I'm sorry, but something's really wrong here. You can't give away a penalty at 95 minutes. That's ridiculous.
Don't understand why not. A penalty is a penalty, whether the 5th minute or the 95th minute...

Something would be really wrong if a penalty wasn't called only because it was the 95th minute

ArmenJBX
09-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Don't understand why not. A penalty is a penalty, whether the 5th minute or the 95th minute...

Something would be really wrong if a penalty wasn't called only because it was the 95th minute

I guess, but just the fact that there's an extra five minutes is too much.

We gotta change the clocks. Start counting down instead of up, stop the timer when the play stops. Play exactly 90 minutes. It's not hard.

Yohan
09-19-2009, 09:34 AM

We gotta change the clocks. Start counting down instead of up, stop the timer when the play stops. Play exactly 90 minutes. It's not hard.
MLS did that for few years. it was disastrous

take the human factor out of football and might as well get machines to do everything. not very fun

btw the penalty happened on the 93rd game. was very last play of the game

Phil
09-19-2009, 09:37 AM

You are right. But I can tell you that the rest of the game was pretty unfaily called.

That ref was bad last night. Probably worse for San Jose than for Colorado. The calls he made and the calls he missed, some of them were downright shameful.

JonO
09-19-2009, 09:40 AM

North Americanize the game??? They tried that. It doesn't work. No way you're going to attract football fans if you start changing the rules of the game.

Phil
09-19-2009, 09:50 AM
95+!?

Watching the game last night, the penalty happened exactly at 92:30. An argument ensued, ate up a minute then the kick was taken.

The ball went upfield and played from center, a second ball was on the pitch too, the ref just whislted it down as the SJ striker was running through their defense, pissed that a second ball bounced through the play with no call from the ref to correct it.

Now if thats a problem, wft? Watch the game don't just read the box score and stats.

ArmenJBX
09-19-2009, 09:57 AM
Watching the game last night, the penalty happened exactly at 92:30. An argument ensued, ate up a minute then the kick was taken.

The ball went upfield and played from center, a second ball was on the pitch too, the ref just whislted it down as the SJ striker was running through their defense, pissed that a second ball bounced through the play with no call from the ref to correct it.

Now if thats a problem, wft? Watch the game don't just read the box score and stats.

Yeah, I watched it now. I guess it's not so bad but it looks weird on paper.

It just sucks losing at the last minute from a penalty (which we've all experienced unfortunately :()

Phil
09-19-2009, 09:59 AM
Ya I hear you dude.

At least it was a draw and only a point gone, but I thought for sure Colorado dropped the three.

Oh well, its up to us to get the 3 tonight.

ArmenJBX
09-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Unrelated but I didn't want to start a new thread.

Does anyone know what the salary cap for Toronto FC is money wise? I need a figure.

Krasno.pL.
09-19-2009, 10:36 AM
2.3 million ;)

ArmenJBX
09-19-2009, 10:39 AM
Thank you :)

Krasno.pL.
09-19-2009, 10:42 AM
well.. dont take me serious... i threw that out there.. cuz i think were slammed against the CAP

without looking at numbers.

scooter
09-19-2009, 10:57 AM
mornin d
game day

CoachGT
09-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I watched it now. I guess it's not so bad but it looks weird on paper.

It just sucks losing at the last minute from a penalty (which we've all experienced unfortunately :()

And there should have been a penalty called in the NYRB game as well - a clear takedown in the box with no call. Would have given NYRB the points.

Oldtimer
09-19-2009, 01:23 PM
LA Galaxy- Toronto FC: A Game to Anticipate

Very few, if any football matches on the planet this weekend will feature the individual quality that tonight’s LA Galaxy-TFC match will provide. Julian DeGuzman will make his MLS debut against David Beckham, Landon Donovan and the Galaxy. You’ll also have the presence of Dwayne DeRossario arguably the most successful player in the history of MLS.
It’s unfortunate that tonight’s game will not be broadcast nationally. Those of us fortunate enough to have MLS Direct Kick will enjoy a matchup whose quality should rival anything coming from Europe today. DeGuzman, in particular is a player whose mere presence should elevate the overall quality and perception of Major League Soccer.
Full article: http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/la-galaxy-toronto-fc-a-game-to-anticipate/6224

Well worth reading.

Carts
09-19-2009, 03:09 PM
denime - thanks as always!

Carts...

TFC_Junky
09-19-2009, 04:40 PM
It's GAME DAY!!!!!! WE NEED THESE THREE POINTS BIG TIME!!! The scores from yesterday and so far today have gone our way. Lets keep the momentum going!!!