PDA

View Full Version : Houston Player Ratings.

Dub Narcotic
06-08-2008, 11:45 PM
Credit to the Houston colour guy, who I thought did a very good job breaking down the game tactically. No credit to the referee who bottled several calls, including a stone cold penalty on Cunningham. Some credit to the MLS, which is trying to find out what works best for a North American summer league, but has to start playing games when the players are available. No credit to Amado Guevera who is off playing a non-FIFA sanctioned friendly and leaving his club team high and dry.

I`m a fan of John Carver, but I think one place where you need continuity is in the back four. If Marshall is healthy, he and Velez should start until a lot of goals start getting leaked. It was nice that James scored a goal, but playing a joke LAG team at home is different than playing the MLS Cup champions in the heat in Houston. I think you have to be careful to not be too dogmatic as a coach (e.g. having to win your place every game as a rule) but I`m more than willing to let Carver work these things out. I`m also not going to get too chuffed about the bad road record until I see how they play with the full team against some EC opposition.

Ratings:

Cunningham. 6.5 Missed a great headed chance early, but scored a nice goal later on to keep some hope alive, and should have received a penalty when he got kicked in the head when the team was down two. He is a very frustrating player to watch, but his goal-per-minute average has to be one of the best in the league, and I think TFC would be worse off without him.

Smith. 2. One of worst TFC performances since the early games. Completely invisible and missed a great chance from a Robert rebound. Smith is the Matt Bonner of TFC, great for a few minutes but he gets exposed playing the full 48, err, 90. If he likes Mr. Sub, then it gets eerie.

Ricketts. 5 Started well, then faded. If he was pulled because he gassed, then this has to be a matter for serious concern. He`s been playing enough that `not having his game legs`is no longer a valid excuse. If he`s hurt, I apologize to him. If he`s a secret diabetic or something, I also apologize.

Robinson and Harmse. 3. How can a team with two DM`s allow 15+ shots and three goals - brutal. Harmse was especially invisible, and it seems that Edu is more valuable as a midfield engine than it sometimes seems. I though the fullbacks were too often isolated without any help from these two, as well.

Dunivant and Robert. 4. Dunivant is who he is, good defensively, decent set pieces, not very dynamic. Robert is kind of the inverse, but neither seemed to be in the game much.

Brennan. 5. The heat seemed to wear him out, and he didn`t get forward much, but I thought he held down the wing alright, except when he got toasted by Holden for the last goal at the end.

James. 3. Seemed to be getting dragged around a lot and unsure positionally. His lost header directly led to the first goal in the first half.

Velez. 5.5. I thought he was playing well and was a bit unfortunate to get beat by the quickness of De Rosario for the first goal. I hope he was hurt because he didn`t deserve to get pulled.

Marshall. 4. Got smoked a lot and took a big risk by swinging an elbow at Brian Ching`s head.

Wynne. 3.5 Not one of his better games. His wing was where most of the Houston attacks came from.

Sutton. 7. Though Greg played very well, none of the goals were his fault.

ensco
06-09-2008, 06:58 AM
Nobody was better than a 5 - most were 3s. Sutton was burned positionally on the 2nd and 3rd goals. Brennan (whom I love) was horrible, ex the cross that Cunningham botched.

nimamalek
06-09-2008, 08:08 AM
I agree with most of your calls but I think Wynne deserved a 5 or a 6. I absolutely hate Harmes, he's basically as bad as Robo going forward but doesnt have the defensive capability that Robo has. I thought Dichio came in and created some chances for Cunny. Robert held the ball well and got around some players, had a nice shot and a couple nice set pieces.