PDA

View Full Version : Frei Does It Again!

Jitter
09-17-2009, 03:24 PM
This is probably posted in another thread but in case it isn't....

Frei won Save of the Week for the third week running!

:hump:

http://web.mlsnet.com/sights/save_of_the_week/

billyfly
09-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Our defense puts him in positions that force him to make these saves.

Jitter
09-17-2009, 03:29 PM
I wish I could argue against that................

Shaughno
But unlike Sutton, he makes the majority of them! :lol:

Batman
kick save, and a beauty!

mastermixer
^^ uh huh.

but congrats to him regardless. He's definately earned it.

werewolf
09-17-2009, 03:34 PM

he also does't pary them to the feet of the opposing forwards...

Shaughno
09-17-2009, 03:36 PM
he also does't pary them to the feet of the opposing forwards...

:lol:

DangerRed
09-17-2009, 03:36 PM
He's a great keeper and I congratulate him. If I had it my way, though, he'd never appear in any spectacular save reels because he'd have nothing to defend. Instead, we have Swiss in net and Swiss Cheese in defence.

billyfly
09-17-2009, 03:37 PM
He's a great keeper and I congratulate him. If I had it my way, though, he'd never appear in any spectacular save reels because he'd have nothing to defend. Instead, we have Swiss in net and Swiss Cheese in defence.

I likey!

Chevy
09-17-2009, 03:48 PM
Our defense puts him in positions that force him to make these saves.

I was just thinking the same thing. I want an entire season where he doesn't win SOTW - because he doesn't have to make them.

tovan
09-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Frei is definitely a skillful young keeper.

How long do you think he has with Toronto before he's scooped up by some club in Europe, etc?

Winning SOTW for the third time in a row must've made more than a couple clubs take notice.

CoachGT
09-17-2009, 04:37 PM

How long do you think he has with Toronto before he's scooped up by some club in Europe, etc?

Winning SOTW for the third time in a row must've made more than a couple clubs take notice.

Would you rather be a playing keeper in MLS or a back up keeper in Europe, seeing only reserve games?

Oldtimer
09-17-2009, 06:00 PM
I think we will lose him, eventually, although 'keepers are harder to sell than Midfielders.
Still, if he gets "Rookie of the Year" award, he could be gone sooner. Maybe we'll see Sutts back in net when this is all over.

Steve
09-17-2009, 06:37 PM

Except for the high crosses that he could get to if he just raised his hand over his head of course...

gtaguy
09-17-2009, 06:59 PM

Don't get me wrong but Frei still needs alot more to become a european soccer GK... He's got maturity and vision but i still say hes about 2 to 5 years away before he makes any move..

and as for the award for SOTW indeed Frei has that understanding of how to close a player down to play to his strengths..
He's good at this but i would like to see alittle more cat like skills out of him on those quick shots from within the 18 yard box.. FOR the time being he's still our GK and im glad for that.. :D

Red CB Toronto
09-17-2009, 07:01 PM
"Super" Stefan Frei has been a beast this year, stopping most of what has come his way, he has brought alot to the Reds, too bad he won't be here for the long run.

egoodwin
09-17-2009, 07:28 PM
he has to be a candidate for First XI

AL-MO
09-17-2009, 08:08 PM
"Super" Stefan Frei has been a beast this year, stopping most of what has come his way, he has brought alot to the Reds, too bad he won't be here for the long run.

I think he'll be here longer than some may think. He is still VERY young in terms of keepers.

Darlofletch
09-17-2009, 08:12 PM
I'd consider that a horrible miss rather than a good save. Guy had a massive amount of net to aim at where frei would have no chance and instead he hit it right at Frei.

Frei's great and all that, but that save was nothing special.

James17930
09-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Frei is definitely good for a rookie, but, yeah, he does some things which really bug me. He often gives up too easily on a ball because he thinks it's going behind the net, only to have it go in the net, or he gives up on it because it seems he's pissed at the defenders for making a bad play, then stands there as if to say 'well, look what you did, you deserved that.'

So he's got to get that out of his system and go for everything, all the time, unless it's absolutely obvious it's going behind.

Brooker
09-17-2009, 09:24 PM
he's awesome... especially when you consider how old he is.

sometimes we gotta remember what league this is....

rocker
09-17-2009, 09:52 PM
i think he'll be here at least 2.5 seasons... maybe summer of 2011 they'll deal him to Europe if he's really rocking MLS by then. I'm just thinking of Brad Guzan as a sort of example.. He played 79 games (3.5 seasons) before going to Aston Villa. Brad Guzan got off to a worse start than Frei did, but really got hot in year 3, grabbing attention.

Frei is on a Gen Adidas contract right? So he's signed for 4 years at pretty decent $$$ for MLS.

i think one thing he could work on is his confidence challenging sometimes.

Cashcleaner
09-17-2009, 11:44 PM

Man, shut the fuck up! I don't want people jinxing this. We got a diamond in the rough between the posts at TFC. He's exactly the sort of player we want on the roster for as many years as we can keep him.

Keegan
09-18-2009, 07:59 AM
Would you rather be a playing keeper in MLS or a back up keeper in Europe, seeing only reserve games?

What makes you think he'd be a back up in europe? Sure if he signed in a top 4 league but if he signed for a BL2, Championship, Danish, Swiss, Norwegian, Eredivisie team etc. etc. there is a good chance he'd be starting

Keegan
09-18-2009, 08:00 AM
Man, shut the fuck up! I don't want people jinxing this. We got a diamond in the rough between the posts at TFC. He's exactly the sort of player we want on the roster for as many years as we can keep him.

Whoa, the guy just told the truth and you are telling him to shut the fuck up? Real nice..

Cashcleaner
09-18-2009, 08:10 AM
^ I forgot the smilie at the end. My bad.

But seriously, I swear that some nights I lose sleep at the thought of him getting traded off or sold. It's not that Sutton himself was terrible, but as it's been mentioned, we haven't had the greatest defenders working for us and need all the help we can get keeping the goal against tally low.

TOBOR !
09-18-2009, 11:19 AM
Swiss Timing ? Swiss precision ?

Parkdale
09-18-2009, 11:22 AM
come on guys..... Sutton was a very good keeper, he's just not as good as Frei.

and the defense that Frei has in front of him is miles better than what Sutts had to deal with.