PDA

View Full Version : Pre match: 19 Sept 09 Toronto FC at LA Galaxy

Yohan
09-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Huge win by TFC over Colorado to keep playoff hopes alive. Let's see if the boys can take the momentum to LA, where TFC did win (on a tremendous fashion with Jeff Cunningham of all people scoring the winning goal in 85th min in a 3-2 thriller) last year

LA Galaxy will look to get back on track after getting torched by Dallas for 6 goals last game.

Looking forward to seeing JDG in action!

Bars92
09-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Two very different squads from the game last year. Hopefully the lads can play well on the road for once.

TFC_Junky
09-17-2009, 12:08 PM
With the momentum from the weekend and the additional motivation of JDG, I see a 2 - 1 win for TFC. Goals by DeRo and Gerba.

mighty_torontofc_2008
09-17-2009, 12:39 PM
could see a 2-2 or 3-3 draw here depending on the defence of both clubs.

Shakes McQueen
09-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Can't wait to see the influence JDG has on our play.

- Scott

drek
09-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Same as everyone else, can't wait to see how JDG fits in.

Defence steps up for once, Frei is on his game. 2-0 TFC.

Lucky Strike
09-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Can't wait to see the influence JDG has on our play.

- Scott

This is the big thing for me as well. While we've for the most part kept our optimism in check (i.e. let's not assume we'll win the cup or that JDG is supposed to score two goals every match), I think it'll be interesting to note if the team keeps its shape better, can string together many quality passes on a consistent basis, can effectively move the ball from the back to the front without resorting to launching up the field, etc.

Speaking for myself, this is what I'm hoping for with JDG's signing. I hope he'll make the team more coherent and play together better, which in turn would make the team better without having to add new and more talented players. I don't know if I explained that last bit well, but essentially, I see JDG as helping the other players on the team make the most out of their talent level.

Lucky Strike
09-17-2009, 12:53 PM
P.S. It's DeGuzman vs. Beckham! *insert profile images of their heads clashing at the centre of your screen with lighting sparks everywhere*

Just joking, I'm not buying into any overhype. I'm still really looking forward to the match though.

brad
09-17-2009, 12:57 PM
This is the big thing for me as well. While we've for the most part kept our optimism in check (i.e. let's not assume we'll win the cup or that JDG is supposed to score two goals every match), I think it'll be interesting to note if the team keeps its shape better, can string together many quality passes on a consistent basis, can effectively move the ball from the back to the front without resorting to launching up the field, etc.

This will be interesting to watch. However, it make take time before we see this. He hasn't played much since January, and he also needs to adapt to a new team.

Speaking for myself, this is what I'm hoping for with JDG's signing. I hope he'll make the team more coherent and play together better, which in turn would make the team better without having to add new and more talented players. I don't know if I explained that last bit well, but essentially, I see JDG as helping the other players on the team make the most out of their talent level.

Agree 100%.

jloome
09-17-2009, 02:28 PM
My concern is this ongoing discussion of using him box-to-box, which assumes whomever he's playing beside is going to track back and cover the middle as well as he does when the other team is in the final two-thirds.

Amado? Not likely. We need him offensively, but defensively he's suspect. If we play DeRo centrally I'm sure he can do OK at it, but it's also not his strength.

We'd be better off playing the traditional tandem of one forward, one back. Although maybe our lack of width dictates a different approach.

maybe
--------------------Frei--------------------
--Wynne--Attakora--Gomez--Brennan------
-----Cronin-----------JDG--------------
------- ----Amado-----------Dero------
---------------Gerba---White----------------

Lots of flex there as Cronin and Dero can both work outside, but Cronin and JDG are essentially operating in the first two thirds and are the set p men/connection with the forwards, plus AMado can do what he does best upfront.

God help us if Chad or Pablo start this game, given the performances we've seen from the young guys lately.

Chevy
09-17-2009, 02:38 PM
I think White starts on the bench and Vitti or Barrett gets the start on the wing. pick your poison.

Wooster_TFC
09-17-2009, 02:57 PM
I'd like to see this:

--------------------Frei-------------------
--Wynne--Attakora--Gomez--Brennan------
-----Cronin-----Robbo------JDG-----------
---------------Amado---------------------
----------------------DeRo---------------
-------------Gerba------------------------

I think we'll see this:

--Wynne--Attakora--Garcia--Brennan------
-------------JDG------Guevara------------
-------------------DeRo------------------
Vitti--------------------------------Barrett
----------------Gerba---------------------

Lucky Strike
09-17-2009, 03:00 PM
I think White starts on the bench and Vitti or Barrett gets the start on the wing. pick your poison.

Almost sure he will. I believe that's what Chris Cummins said he wants to do with him given he's coming back from a major injury. He'll be a 60-65th minute guy who comes in if we need to liven things up at the front or add a guy to look for an equalizer or the go-ahead goal.

DangerRed
09-17-2009, 03:04 PM
I, like everyone else, am pumped to see what JDG brings to the pitch. While I'm sure he'll do well, I'm hoping the rest of the team also decides to show up like they did against Colorado last week. These are all make-or-break games now and they have to step up.

Like Cummins said in the huddle before kickoff last week: "Three points. Minimum. I demand it and you should fuckin' demand it too!"

Yohan
09-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Barrett to start, White to come in around 65 min mark if Barrett is not producing.

hell, it worked last game. lol

Kaz
09-17-2009, 06:10 PM
so long as Cummins puts out a strong offensive squad we should be ok.. this is not time to play it safe upfront.. stick JDG on Becks like glue, and let Gerba, Berrett and DeRo go at them, then toss in OBWon for good measure

Hugh Jazz
09-17-2009, 06:48 PM
--Wynne--Attakora--Garcia--Brennan--
-------------JDG------Guevara-----------
Barrett----------------------------Cronin
------------------------DeRo--------------
----------------Gerba---------------------

I wouldn't mind seeing something like this. DeRo needs to be off the wings so he can run at the LA CBs and I think Cronin could do pretty well marking Beckham. I'm interested to see what Cummins puts onto the field Saturday.

pekduck
09-17-2009, 06:57 PM
so long as Cummins puts out a strong offensive squad we should be ok.. this is not time to play it safe upfront.. stick JDG on Becks like glue, and let Gerba, Berrett and DeRo go at them, then toss in OBWon for good measure

Yeah although wasting JDG's potential but he can surely shut down posh spice in his first start for TFC to get to know the team better. Sanyang should be back and he can slap landycake silly. I prefer Serioux to tell landycake who's his daddy but Sangyang will do.

In the mean time rest of the team can tore LA's denfense a new one

Red CB Toronto
09-17-2009, 06:57 PM
The Reds have to just let their offensive weapons go all out, trying to be safe at this point is just not the way to go. Let JDG play where he can be at his best, Gerba is bound to knock one in from up close the way he has been crashing around the box, he is not Danny but he does have the knack.

gtaguy
09-17-2009, 07:10 PM
both L.A and T.O have pretty even teams .. what will be the decisive factor will be is when to make the changes and whom to put on..
Im alittle weary about garcias defensive positioning and capabilities which are limited to his size and speed..
I won't go as far as to predict a win or loss or a tie and just say that based on cummins decision making in this game could make this game a huge win or a total fail.

DoubleUp
09-17-2009, 08:20 PM
........................Frei.....................
Wynne.....Nana.......Gomes........Brennan
Deguzman
Cronin..............Guevara...........Barrett
..................Dero....Gerba................... .

This is bang for your buck!

Antoshka
09-17-2009, 08:47 PM
victory to TFC... history tells us that every time TFC signs a new european-esque player we tend to win (robert, geuvara, dero, even with gerba we won the second game he played). right?

billyfly
09-17-2009, 08:49 PM
Need A Win!

Bobo
09-17-2009, 09:09 PM

We can expect attractive footy!:pbjtime:Substitute Robbo's passing for JDGs.... I'm expecting consistently good performances from TFC now. Don't let me down and mess me around boys!

Kaz
09-17-2009, 09:32 PM
Yeah although wasting JDG's potential but he can surely shut down posh spice in his first start for TFC to get to know the team better. Sanyang should be back and he can slap landycake silly. I prefer Serioux to tell landycake who's his daddy but Sangyang will do.

In the mean time rest of the team can tore LA's denfense a new one

The only issue with that is, that JDG isn't match fit.
So asking him to play box to box, means play him as a sub, or sub him out at the 60 minute mark.. which may happen anyway.

Playing him in a holding mid would be a natural position for him, which he will react to on instinct much better. Why ask him to think about his fitness and his position.

AL-MO
09-17-2009, 09:47 PM
The only issue with that is, that JDG isn't match fit.
So asking him to play box to box, means play him as a sub, or sub him out at the 60 minute mark.. which may happen anyway.

Playing him in a holding mid would be a natural position for him, which he will react to on instinct much better. Why ask him to think about his fitness and his position.

Great point Kaz.

Yagbod
09-17-2009, 10:35 PM
This what I am hoping for and could happen... I think that Cummins will have De Guzman in a more forward position and then sub him off for Pablo or Chad in the 65-70 min.

---------Frei (is this line really necessary anymore?)----------
----Nana ------ Garcia----- Gomez ------- Brennan ---------
--Wynne ------------------------------------Cronin-------
---------De Guzman -------DeRo------------- Guevarra----------
----------------------- Gerba ---------------------------------

I see the attacking midfielders rushing constantly to support Gerba with Wynne and Cronin hanging back to feed balls into the offensive mesh...

...and then I wake up and Chad and Pablo are starting anyway...

loconet
09-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Tough match, I'll be happy with not losing. Can't wait to see how JDG fits in.

twistedchinaman
09-18-2009, 01:30 AM
LA's Shut Down List:
- Beckham
- Landycakes
- Buddle (believe it or not, that guy is dangerous)
- Kovalenko
- Eskandarian
- Berhalter (weakest link of this chain)

Shut them all down, you shut down LA.

Oldtimer
09-18-2009, 07:22 AM
For this match, with Robbo injured, I would slot JDG in a holding midfield role, especially since it's his first match. If he just feeds Guevara and DeRo, we should have a potent offense.

I'll be very interested to see what Cummins does. It will show whether he knows how to make the best use of his players. I do expect, after seeing what Dallas did, that he will focus on the attack. You certainly want to keep the ball in LA's half of the pitch.

London
09-18-2009, 07:26 AM
is it wrong that i am happy that robbo is hurt.??

i cant take the rainbow passes, and the "thump" that the ball makes everytime he touches it.

his distribution is brutal.

JDG and Guevara are going to be deadly

ManUtd4ever
09-18-2009, 08:15 AM
Last year it was Guevara's debut in L.A. and he was a huge sparkplug. Let's hope JDG has a similar impact tomorrow. I agree that JDG should play in a central midfield role until Robbo comes back. As for tommorow's formation...

------------Frei---------------

Wynne-Attakora-Brennan-Gomez

-----------Cronin--------------

------------JDG---------------

---Vitti---Guevara---DeRo-----

-----------Gerba (White)------

Yohan
09-18-2009, 08:15 AM
From TFC website

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090917&content_id=7016786&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

The Back: Centre Back - Gregg Berhalter
It will be interesting to see if LA risks playing Berhalter against Toronto, knowing that the likes of Amado Guevara, Julian de Guzman and Dwayne De Rosario love to take on weak defenders. To say Berhalter is slow is an understatement. The 36-year old had a horror game against Dallas last week when Jeff Cunningham played him for a pylon. He makes up one half of the centre back partnership with Omar Gonzalez, who is a leading Rookie of the Year candidate. Todd Dunivant has been solid as a left back, but right fullback A.J. DeLaGarza's knock to his left knee last week could keep him out of the squad.

LOL at Berhalter remark. Though it is true. He's like Garcia. Slow, but very positionally sound defender. Speed can expose him.

No DelaGarza is a bonus. This kid is having a very good rookie season and going to turn into one of best right backs in this league. If he's not playing, Chris Klein will fill in. He's another good defender who can also play wing, and lots of USMNT caps, but he is 33, and he can be hurt by speed too.

Roogsy
09-18-2009, 08:20 AM
LA's Shut Down List:
- Beckham
- Landycakes
- Buddle (believe it or not, that guy is dangerous)
- Kovalenko
- Eskandarian
- Berhalter (weakest link of this chain)

Shut them all down, you shut down LA.

What's the word on suspensions? I thought either Landycakes or Becky were up for missing this game? Please tell me at least one of them is?

Without Landycakes, Beckham has no star finisher. I'd rather see Beckham on the pitch than Donovan who can absolutely burn us with his speed since our backline is so slow except for Wynne who is always out of position anyways.

Yohan
09-18-2009, 08:20 AM
For this match, with Robbo injured, I would slot JDG in a holding midfield role, especially since it's his first match. If he just feeds Guevara and DeRo, we should have a potent offense.
I agree. If JDG can shut down LA from the middle, and esp prevent Donovan from running around in the centre, plus feed nice first passes to other midfielders, I'd be very happy.

Shifting focus of LA attack to wings is better than letting them go through the centre. Last year at LA, Donovan torched TFC defence for 2 goals by going through the middle. Gotta stop that.

I'll be very interested to see what Cummins does. It will show whether he knows how to make the best use of his players. I do expect, after seeing what Dallas did, that he will focus on the attack. You certainly want to keep the ball in LA's half of the pitch.
Arena > Cummins

Arena will get his team motivated coming into this game, after getting destroyed at home by lowly Dallas.
Cummins? God knows

ManUtd4ever
09-18-2009, 08:42 AM
I agree. If JDG can shut down LA from the middle, and esp prevent Donovan from running around in the centre, plus feed nice first passes to other midfielders, I'd be very happy.

Shifting focus of LA attack to wings is better than letting them go through the centre. Last year at LA, Donovan torched TFC defence for 2 goals by going through the middle. Gotta stop that.

Arena > Cummins

Arena will get his team motivated coming into this game, after getting destroyed at home by lowly Dallas.
Cummins? God knows

It's do or die for the rest of the season...If that isn't enough motivation in of itself than the players should be faulted. I am sure the effort will be there, I just pray that we don't fall apart because of defensive lapses...

xj Darrell
09-18-2009, 08:55 AM
With JDG playing teams will have to think twice about putting two men on DeRo. JDG will be able to find the space and give excellent service to other players. Now we need someone other than DeRo to score....

RedMAN127
09-18-2009, 09:27 AM
With JDG playing teams will have to think twice about putting two men on DeRo. JDG will be able to find the space and give excellent service to other players. Now we need someone other than DeRo to score....

Gerba had good chances last game, with more service from DeGuz he should be making some of these chances

ensco
09-18-2009, 09:41 AM
Let's see if the boys can take the momentum to LA, where TFC did win (on a tremendous fashion with Jeff Cunningham of all people scoring the winning goal in 85th min in a 3-2 thriller) last year

Since that game, LA have been quietly working on a plan to stop Dichio, Cunningham and Jarrod Smith. I think those guys won't be a factor.

Also, I predict that Robert's free kicks will not be a problem for them this time around, and they're not going to let Greg Sutton get the best of them either.

Beach_Red
09-18-2009, 09:48 AM
Since that game, LA have been quietly working on a plan to stop Dichio, Cunningham and Jarrod Smith. I think those guys won't be a factor.

Also, I predict that Robert's free kicks will not be a problem for them this time around, and they're not going to let Greg Sutton get the best of them either.

Shhhhhhhh, don't tell them.

Though I don't see how they'll score with Tebily back there...

nimamalek
09-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Last year it was Guevara's debut in L.A. and he was a huge sparkplug. Let's hope JDG has a similar impact tomorrow. I agree that JDG should play in a central midfield role until Robbo comes back. As for tommorow's formation...

Wynne-Attakora-Brennan-Gomez

-----------Gerba (White)------

Brennan in the middle would be a disaster, he was the reason for half of the chances last week, his play has been horrible the last 2 games, he's always 2 steps behind everyone else on the offside trap. Take a look at Frie's save of the week the last 2 weeks and you'll see what I mean

Frei
Wynne Nana Gomez Fellinga
Cronin JDG Guevara Brennan
Dero
White

Defense: speed to control Landycakes runs, Nana and Gomez to control becks crosses coming in
Wings: Cronin and Brennan on the sides so we can finally get some good crosses in
Middle: JDG, Guevara and Dero in the middle to control the tempo of the game, we have 3 of the best passers in the game might as well put them together
Forward: White, I think he earned the start over Gerba, that was a clinical finish last week

Hugh Jazz
09-18-2009, 01:34 PM

Good point. Guevara will also be more rested for this game than the last few weeks so LA will have to be careful with how they're marking our guys in the middle.
This will be a game where guys like Gerba and Barrett will need to finish their chances since they'll probably have more room than our other attackers.

Lucky Strike
09-18-2009, 01:55 PM
Brennan in the middle would be a disaster, he was the reason for half of the chances last week, his play has been horrible the last 2 games, he's always 2 steps behind everyone else on the offside trap. Take a look at Frie's save of the week the last 2 weeks and you'll see what I mean

Frei
Wynne Nana Gomez Fellinga
Cronin JDG Guevara Brennan
Dero
White

Defense: speed to control Landycakes runs, Nana and Gomez to control becks crosses coming in
Wings: Cronin and Brennan on the sides so we can finally get some good crosses in
Middle: JDG, Guevara and Dero in the middle to control the tempo of the game, we have 3 of the best passers in the game might as well put them together
Forward: White, I think he earned the start over Gerba, that was a clinical finish last week

I like it. Though I'd still start Gerba ahead of White. This is one tactical area where I agree with Cummins (gulp!). His plan for White, since he's coming back from a major injury is to use him as an impact substitute from and 60th minute onward. Gerba also had very good chances at goal that didn't go in, not because he Barretted them, but because the 5th minute cross was just flicked wide (he had the keeper beat) and the backheel a defender cleared off the line. Especially with JDG playing, we should see Gerba have a good game.

Kaz
09-18-2009, 02:22 PM
-----------------Frei-----------------
Fellinga Attakora Garcia Brennan
----------------JDG-----------------
Cronin-----Guevera--------- DeRo
------Barrett----------Gerba--------

White in for Gerba around the 60 minute mark
Sanyang for JDG if needed

you have Barrett, Guevera, and DeRo providing service to Gerba and making chance on all three sides.

Cronin is supporting offense and defense as is JDG.

I think this is a strong attacking formation with the ability to make up for the poor back line.
It allows JDG to play instinctively to offset his fitness which is in question and I think we will get the most out of him for this game

Yohan
09-18-2009, 03:56 PM
Fellinga Attakora Garcia Brennan

White in for Gerba around the 60 minute mark
Sanyang for JDG if needed

you have Barrett, Guevera, and DeRo providing service to Gerba and making chance on all three sides.

Cronin is supporting offense and defense as is JDG.

I think this is a strong attacking formation with the ability to make up for the poor back line.
It allows JDG to play instinctively to offset his fitness which is in question and I think we will get the most out of him for this game
Fellinga as RB?

Shakes McQueen
09-18-2009, 03:59 PM
What is with some of these kooky backline arrangements? Brennan as a CB? Fellinga as a RB?

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
09-18-2009, 04:08 PM
My ideal lineup?

Attakora--Gomez--Serioux--Fellinga
----------------------------------
---------------JDG---------------
-Cronin-----Guevara-------DeRo--
------OBW-----------Gerba-------

- Bring on Barrett for OBW or Gerba - whichever one looks gassed first.
- Bring on Wynne for Attakora or Gomez, whichever is having the worse game, or looks gassed first. If it's Gomez, shift Attakora to CB.
- Remaining sub could either be Brennan for Fellinga (if Fellinga is not impressing), or Sanyang for any of the midfielders.

None of the subs have to be used in that order.

- Scott

v00d00daddy
09-18-2009, 06:27 PM
My ideal lineup?

Attakora--Gomez--Serioux--Fellinga
---------------JDG---------------
-Cronin-----Guevara-------DeRo--
------OBW-----------Gerba-------

- Bring on Barrett for OBW or Gerba - whichever one looks gassed first.
- Bring on Wynne for Attakora or Gomez, whichever is having the worse game, or looks gassed first. If it's Gomez, shift Attakora to CB.
- Remaining sub could either be Brennan for Fellinga (if Fellinga is not impressing), or Sanyang for any of the midfielders.

None of the subs have to be used in that order.

- Scott

I'd like to see this lineup too.

No Vitti?...even as a sub? How come?

Yohan
09-18-2009, 06:30 PM
speed will be key to unlocking LA defence. not trickery

Hugh Jazz
09-18-2009, 06:43 PM
Vitti did nothing for us last game, I can't see him starting.

Bobo
09-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Will Guevara even be fit to play? Didn't sound to good according to CC.

kitchener-TFC
09-18-2009, 07:05 PM

Wynne-Attakora-Gomez-Brennan

------------Gerba--------

Subs: White for Gerba (60')
Fellinga for Barrett (60')

When this happens, we go to a 1-5-4:

--------------Frei
Wynne-Attakora-Gomez-Fellinga
---------------JDG
Cronin------------------Brennan
----Vitti-----Guevara--DeRo
--------------White

Shway
09-18-2009, 07:42 PM
JAHINHO'S WINNING Xl
----------------24---------------
---------------Frei---------------
------------3--------32----------
---------Attakora--Gomez--------
--16-------------------------5---
Wynne--------------------Fellinga
----------------22---------------
-------------Sanyang------------
---------6--------------20-------
--------JDG----------Guevara----
-11----------------------------14
Vitti--------------------------DeRo
----------------10----------------
--------------Gerba---------------

(numbers for Dobson use)

SUBS
White
Barrett
Serioux
Garcia
Brennan
Cronin

SUBSTITUTIONS
- Bring on OBW for Gerba
- Bring on Serioux for Sanyang (serioux play a serious defensive role)
- Bring on Brennan just cause

Dwayne DeRosario - The Skipper

jloome
09-18-2009, 08:04 PM
JAHINHO'S WINNING Xl

(numbers for Dobson use)

SUBS
White
Barrett
Serioux
Garcia
Brennan
Cronin

SUBSTITUTIONS
- Bring on OBW for Gerba
- Bring on Serioux for Sanyang (serioux play a serious defensive role)
- Bring on Brennan just cause

Dwayne DeRosario - The Skipper

Kinda like this. I'd probably start Brennan instead of Vitti and put DeRo on the other side.

Baggio2TFC
09-18-2009, 08:10 PM
^^ Like it as well!! Maybe DeRo on the other side but whatever is best for Vitti as DeRo can handle anything!! TFC baby!!

Nodoubtguy
09-18-2009, 08:12 PM
JAHINHO'S WINNING Xl

:drool5:

Baggio2TFC
09-18-2009, 08:12 PM

Wynne-Attakora-Gomez-Brennan

------------Gerba--------

Subs: White for Gerba (60')
Fellinga for Barrett (60')

When this happens, we go to a 1-5-4:

--------------Frei
Wynne-Attakora-Gomez-Fellinga
---------------JDG
Cronin------------------Brennan
----Vitti-----Guevara--DeRo
--------------White

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We NEVER go to a 1-5-4!! It never works!! We're not the Italian National Team back there!! Stick to what is working!! 4-4-2, 3-5-2,...whatever, but never just 1 striker!!

Shway
09-18-2009, 08:27 PM
^^ Like it as well!! Maybe DeRo on the other side but whatever is best for Vitti as DeRo can handle anything!! TFC baby!!

yea same difference
Dero will still rip shit

Shway
09-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Kinda like this. I'd probably start Brennan instead of Vitti and put DeRo on the other side.

Nooo brennan is not a mid man, nor is he a defender, and hes definately not a striker, so where does that leave him?.......(where did i put him again:rolleyes: lol)
he wont know to do the 1-2's with the midfield, that vitti would hes used to just running the "flanks"

Barrett subbin in for Vitti if anything

OH YEA that line up is the future of TFC

Kaz
09-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Fellinga as RB?

Well I'd prefer Attakora there, and Serioux in the center. and Fellinga should get some play once and awhile I realistically I don't see Brennan sitting on the bench ;) and even out of position I still see him marking better then Wynne. Orginally I had Gomez in center.

Attakora Gomez Garcia Fellinga

so long as we are playing with two upfront and some strength in the back we are ok..

I'm more concerned with this stupd 4-5-1 crap people keep talking about. I'm also concerned about all this talk of White starting the kid is coming off injury he shouldn't be starting any games before next year.

TFC USA
09-18-2009, 09:17 PM
-----------------------------Frei------------------------

-----Attakora-----Frei--------------Gomez----Frei-------

-----DeRo--------Frei---------------DeRo----------DeRo---------

--------------DeRo---------------------Dichio----------------------

In reality we lose 3-0.

Yohan
09-18-2009, 09:29 PM
I'm more concerned with this stupd 4-5-1 crap people keep talking about. I'm also concerned about all this talk of White starting the kid is coming off injury he shouldn't be starting any games before next year.
you do realize it's the 4-5-1/4-3-3 that won us the game against colorado?

Kaz
09-18-2009, 11:02 PM
you do realize it's the 4-5-1/4-3-3 that won us the game against colorado?

Usually a 4-5-1 has a much weaker attack, 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 is much more attacking, and it's that strong attacking play we need. Most of the time when we play 4-5-1 it doesn't go well. I'd prefer seeing a 4-5-2 but I don't think LA would be ok with that.. ;)

twistedchinaman
09-18-2009, 11:42 PM
What's the word on suspensions? I thought either Landycakes or Becky were up for missing this game? Please tell me at least one of them is?

Without Landycakes, Beckham has no star finisher. I'd rather see Beckham on the pitch than Donovan who can absolutely burn us with his speed since our backline is so slow except for Wynne who is always out of position anyways.

No suspensions.
Esky out.
DeLaGarza questionable. Ditto Kovalenko.
Buddle probable.

So we're down to:

- Beckycakes (Beckham + Landycakes)
- Gonzalez
- Dunivant
- Miglioranzi
- Berhalter

Still a tough ask, but not impossible.

boysblue
09-19-2009, 10:04 AM
For me it is simple: win tonight and we are in the playoffs, lose and I think the season is done.

edmundo
09-19-2009, 11:29 AM
galaxy preview tfc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOwZhPBoEBM

Big Bruva
09-19-2009, 11:31 AM

To a certain point, DeRo is much more offensive minded that Julian is even if Julian is played as a offensive player.

I expect Ali to do better now as he and Julian are very good friends and the relationship on and off the pitch is very good. Ali just needs to make the most of the chances he gets from the likes of Julian, Amada and DeRo.

BUT

Has O'B not shown that he deserves a start today after coming on and making the most of limted chances he got against the Rapids and finishing in such quality at that?

Maybe you start with Ali and bring on O'B for impact again as Ali will hold the ball up better and is stronger and those qualities are key in away games especially when playing teams that have been playing well.

Yohan
09-19-2009, 11:38 AM
BUT

Has O'B not shown that he deserves a start today after coming on and making the most of limted chances he got against the Rapids and finishing in such quality at that?

Maybe you start with Ali and bring on O'B for impact again as Ali will hold the ball up better and is stronger and those qualities are key in away games especially when playing teams that have been playing well.
you just answered your own question

White = impact sub. plus CC said something about lacking match fitness coming back from injury

that White for Gerba sub was what the game needed, as TFC has this thing of getting stale in mid games. White is that spark that TFC can use off the bench

Big Bruva
09-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Ya i know i did.

Random things that i think are key and things to think about.

Kaz
09-19-2009, 11:57 AM
For me it is simple: win tonight and we are in the playoffs, lose and I think the season is done.

Well actually.
we need 10 points for a chance (it would be silly to assume that at least 8 teams won't finish with 44 points)

we have 5 games we need 3 wins and a tie at the very least.

A win tonight puts us in a good spot.
a tie means we need 3 wins in 4 games.
a loss means we can't lose anymore games and it gets really tight.

Win is very possible, hopefully it'll be happening.. I know I'll be at the Pub watching in my heart in my throat.

A win tonight would be really nice :) :D
:scarf:

ArmenJBX
09-19-2009, 12:00 PM
De Guzman to score 9 goals today.

I have a good feeling :D

rocker
09-19-2009, 12:28 PM
come on De Guzman... show LA fans what being a real DP is all about!!! ;)

Oldtimer
09-19-2009, 01:22 PM
LA Galaxy- Toronto FC: A Game to Anticipate

Very few, if any football matches on the planet this weekend will feature the individual quality that tonight’s LA Galaxy-TFC match will provide. Julian DeGuzman will make his MLS debut against David Beckham, Landon Donovan and the Galaxy. You’ll also have the presence of Dwayne DeRossario arguably the most successful player in the history of MLS.
It’s unfortunate that tonight’s game will not be broadcast nationally. Those of us fortunate enough to have MLS Direct Kick will enjoy a matchup whose quality should rival anything coming from Europe today. DeGuzman, in particular is a player whose mere presence should elevate the overall quality and perception of Major League Soccer.
Full article: http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/la-galaxy-toronto-fc-a-game-to-anticipate/6224

Well worth reading.

This matchup will have a tremendous impact on the playoff race and the psyche of both sides entering the final month of the MLS season. The football should be good tonight, and the stakes couldn’t be higher.

Kaz
09-19-2009, 01:40 PM
De Guzman to score 9 goals today.

I have a good feeling :D

I've got some amazing farm land in nevada that I could sell you for say $2,500 it's a total turn key income property don't even have to do anything with it.. totally self sufficient.. you'll could make like 200 million ISK from it with in 5 years if you play your cards right

mighty_torontofc_2008
09-19-2009, 02:20 PM
come on De Guzman... show LA fans what being a real DP is all about!!! ;)

this team is still the same team that struggles for point on the road even with De Guzman...with luck he will make the difference tonight..but i expect LA to come out blasting away at Frei in the TFC goal after their recent defeat by Cunningham and Dallas...a high scoring draw!!

Hooligan69
09-19-2009, 02:26 PM
2-1 victory in favour of Toronto FC. That is my prediction.

Kaz
09-19-2009, 03:06 PM
this team is still the same team that struggles for point on the road even with De Guzman...with luck he will make the difference tonight..but i expect LA to come out blasting away at Frei in the TFC goal after their recent defeat by Cunningham and Dallas...a high scoring draw!!

Try not to forget that LA is the same time that has struggled to get points at home. It's an even match, if we go in attacking we have a very real chance at three points. 2-1 win is very real possible out come

ArmenJBX
09-19-2009, 03:09 PM
I've got some amazing farm land in nevada that I could sell you for say $2,500 it's a total turn key income property don't even have to do anything with it.. totally self sufficient.. you'll could make like 200 million ISK from it with in 5 years if you play your cards right

Send me a PM with some details.

rocker
09-19-2009, 04:45 PM
After this game, Becks is going to be asking De Guzman for the phone number of Julian's barber!

you know Becks always likes the latest hair styles...

Bombonera
09-19-2009, 06:31 PM
THe calls for Fellinga over BRennan are fantastic and dead on. But I also think vitti plays over barrett who deserves bench time (the way he walks up the field is an insult to us all...)

I am not remotely big on Gerba, but I think he is due, and with JDG out there might be a bit more vigorous in his efforts.

But I do think a laser from Robert will be the difference maker again

ArmenJBX
09-19-2009, 06:33 PM
Who's Robert?

Yohan
09-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Who's Robert?
laurent robert

ArmenJBX
09-19-2009, 06:43 PM
What about Laurent Robert!? He's long gone...isn't he?

Or am I missing something here!? :P

joesoccerfan
09-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Well actually.
we need 10 points for a chance (it would be silly to assume that at least 8 teams won't finish with 44 points)

43 points is likely to be good enough...and even 42 gives us a 50/50 chance of getting in. Check out this page which breaks down all the possibilities:
http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/MLS/East/TorontoFC.html
(the page gets updated every day, so its pretty useful these days)

Right now we are standing with a roughly 1/3 chance of getting in, and we can do ourselves a huge favour by winning tonight.

Bottom line is that 9 pts to give ourselves a good chance to get in. Even with two wins at home, we need to find a way to pick up three on the road...let's hope we get them all tonight!

Bombonera
09-19-2009, 06:59 PM
scroll up.

pekduck
09-19-2009, 07:27 PM
anyone got live link?

Yohan
09-19-2009, 07:31 PM
anyone got live link?
http://atdhe.net/9400/watch-toronto-fc-vs-los-angeles-galaxy

Kaz
09-19-2009, 07:35 PM
43 points is likely to be good enough...and even 42 gives us a 50/50 chance of getting in. Check out this page which breaks down all the possibilities:
http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/MLS/East/TorontoFC.html
(the page gets updated every day, so its pretty useful these days)

Right now we are standing with a roughly 1/3 chance of getting in, and we can do ourselves a huge favour by winning tonight.

Bottom line is that 9 pts to give ourselves a good chance to get in. Even with two wins at home, we need to find a way to pick up three on the road...let's hope we get them all tonight!

Downside is that is crap.
it is a straight statistical base.

if you look at it from each teams base odds, the finial table will have 8 teams at 43 points or over. not including TFC. Unless they seriously screw up. The only positive is that New York is springing back.. downside is we still need to beat them.

based on games left, recent performance, and seasonal performance the end table should look like this.. LA, New England and Colorado are the most likely clubs to finish between 42 or 43 points But it should look fairly close to this. So ya we need 10 points to be safe.

Columbus ___53
Chicago ____ 47
Houston ____ 47
Chivas USA __46
LA _________ 45
New England _44
Seattle ______44
Colorado ____44

Lucky Strike
09-19-2009, 07:55 PM
I'm currently watching TFC Pre-game on Gol TV, they're showing some clips from the TFC match at LA last year, which we won 3-2. And more often than not, you saw Velez getting torched by the opposition or making that colossal mistake that gava a penalty away. I'm so glad he's gone. He was so useless as a player.

Lucky Strike
09-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Also, since there's a Blue Jays game before the TFC match, that's something to look out for, in situations like this, the baseball game always finds a way to go to extra innings. Granted, we have 30 minutes between but still...

For now though, the game would end at 10:08 if you use the standard of 20 minutes per inning.

Zeke_Jones
09-19-2009, 08:31 PM
Does anyone know if this game will be on sportsnet tonight??

TFC need to win tonight, anything less would be uncivilized

brad
09-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Does anyone know if this game will be on sportsnet tonight??

It's on Sportsnet.

TheWolf
09-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Toronto 3- LA- 2

forza_tfc
09-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Waiting until 10:30 for this game is torture.

Nuvinho
09-19-2009, 08:49 PM
hope its 3 up and 3 down for the Jays.......get the game over, so there is no delay at all.

JDG
09-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Chat is now open to Members

swan
09-19-2009, 09:18 PM
does anyone have a link for the game

Fishnicker
09-19-2009, 09:21 PM
Los Angeles Galaxy Toronto FC
GK - Ricketts GK - Stefani Frei
D - Sean Franklin D - Marvell Wynne
D - Gregg Berhalter D - Nana Attakora
D - Omar Gonzalez D - Nick Garcia
D - Todd Dunivant D - Jim Brennan (C)

MF - Chris Birchall MF - Sam Cronin
MF - David Beckham MF - Julian De Guzman
MF - Stefani Miglioranzi MF - Dwayne De Rosario
MF - Eddie Lewis MF - Amado Guevara

F - Landon Donovan (C) F - Chad Barrett
F - Edson Buddle F - Ali Gerba

thisisinternetclash
09-19-2009, 09:21 PM
LINEUPS:

24 Stefan Frei (G)
11 Jim Brennan (D)
4 Nick Garcia (D)
16 Marvell Wynne (D)
3 Nana Attakora-Gyan (D)
6 Julian de Guzman (M)
20 Amado Guevara (M)
14 Dwayne De Rosario (M)
2 Sam Cronin (M)
19 Chad Barrett (ST)
10 A Gerba (ST)

1 Donovan Ricketts (G)
16 Gregg Berhalter (D)
2 Todd Dunivant (D)
28 Sean Franklin (D)
4 Omar Gonzalez (D)
15 Stefani Miglioranzi (M)
23 David Beckham (M)
6 Eddie Lewis (M)
33 Christopher Birchall (M)
10 Landon Donovan (ST)
14 Edson Buddle (ST)

thisisinternetclash
09-19-2009, 09:26 PM
Looks like something of a 4-3-3- with DeRo, Barrett, and Gerba up front. I suppose this is what would have been expected, save for maybe White in for Gerba or Vitti in for Barrett. This is pretty much a full strength Galaxy side from the looks of it.

DaBandit
09-19-2009, 09:26 PM
just hoping they dont bring a stinker, would love to have a good sleep afterwards..

Fishnicker
09-19-2009, 09:28 PM
would love to have a good sleep afterwards..

Beer helps

THA BUTCHA
09-19-2009, 09:37 PM
need streaming link for this game....

ATDHE.net

doesn't seem to be working