PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED - News about next years Schedule

jabbronies
09-16-2009, 10:16 AM
So at the end of MLS ExtraTime, they mention that there is some news on Next year Schedule. That will be aired on Wednesday (today)

http://web.mlsnet.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=6654153

Anyone know what they are talking about?

Niall
09-16-2009, 10:18 AM
Schedule around internationals? One can dream

Fort York Redcoat
09-16-2009, 10:19 AM
No but do we suspect summing special done for a special tourney going on at the time?

Kevvv
09-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Presumably there will be no early home games for TFC, due to, you know

Shaughno
09-16-2009, 10:21 AM
No but do we suspect summing special done for a special tourney going on at the time?

I would expect that would be it.

London
09-16-2009, 10:22 AM
expect a longer road trip to start the season,

they got to put grass in

menefreghista
09-16-2009, 10:25 AM
Single table and balanced schedule with the addition of the 16th team?

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-16-2009, 10:59 AM

they got to put grass in

ROGERS CENTER.. Home Opener!?:rolleyes:

Kaz
09-16-2009, 11:18 AM
ROGERS CENTER.. Home Opener!?:rolleyes:
LOL that would actually be funny... wonder if it would sell out if they actually did that?

jabbronies
09-16-2009, 11:25 AM
LOL that would actually be funny... wonder if it would sell out if they actually did that?

If the supporters got involved and sold tickets, then yes, it would sell out.

CoachGT
09-16-2009, 11:38 AM
Unlikely it has anything to do with the state of CBA negotiations, which could impact the schedule. Does anyone have any news about this?

Fort York Redcoat
09-16-2009, 11:43 AM

they got to put grass in

longer. It's already longer than most teams. If it's for grass I"m very okay with it.

CoachGT
09-16-2009, 11:49 AM
I hope we start the year in DC next year. It would be pretty good to have a large traveling group there, and the weather would be bearable early in the season.

ilikemusic
09-16-2009, 11:51 AM

they got to put grass in

No way!

March 20th home opener.

In a blizzard, on the patch of dirt vacated by the turf and yet to be replaced by the grass.

KrazyKanadian
09-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Rumour has it, Man United is our friendly next year.

Rudi
09-16-2009, 12:13 PM
longer. It's already longer than most teams. If it's for grass I"m very okay with it.
We only had the first two games on the road this year.

Should grass happen, I expect a road stint like year one (except that the schedule starts earlier than in year one, so it'll be more games).

prizby
09-16-2009, 12:14 PM

this could be true, it will be ManU's turn to visit NA

Parkdale
09-16-2009, 12:15 PM

that rumour started in this thread, at 1:08pm today. by you.

Flipityflu
09-16-2009, 12:16 PM
No way!

March 20th home opener.

In a blizzard, on the patch of dirt vacated by the turf and yet to be replaced by the grass.

not a bad way for me to spend my 40th birthday.

Razor
09-16-2009, 12:19 PM

totally ghey if true..which i doubt it. :)

Lucky Strike
09-16-2009, 12:24 PM
So at the end of MLS ExtraTime, they mention that there is some news on Next year Schedule. That will be aired on Wednesday (today)

http://web.mlsnet.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=6654153

Anyone know what they are talking about?

It might be related with the experimenting we saw this year where the season opened somewhat earlier to be able to afford reduced match days in FIFA dates. This experiment has almost universally been called a failure since most teams saw a dramatic drop in attendance for these early-season matches.

These news could simply be the return of the 2007-type scheduling combined with some other effort to try and avoid or reduce conflict with FIFA dates.

atlanticTFCfan
09-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Just got this off of Twitter:

The gist of the 2010 MLS schedule footprint: a 2 week break for the World Cup & a balanced league schedule.

Supposedly, there'll be more info on it at MLSnet.com later today. Sounds interesting, to say the least.

H Bomb
09-16-2009, 02:51 PM
balanced schedule????? you mean like a real league and everything?

edmundo
09-16-2009, 02:58 PM
theres the official statement
http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20090916&content_id=7000180&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-16-2009, 03:02 PM
Thank the lord... I've been waiting for a proper league schedule for a long time. Next step, SINGLE TABLE.

jabbronies
09-16-2009, 03:05 PM
FUCK!!! I was hoping for a single table. It really makes no sense what-so-ever to have this BS two conference system.

Lucky Strike
09-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Just got this off of Twitter:

The gist of the 2010 MLS schedule footprint: a 2 week break for the World Cup & a balanced league schedule.

Supposedly, there'll be more info on it at MLSnet.com later today. Sounds interesting, to say the least.

The balanced schedule is a no-brainer and can be designed almost by accident:

16 teams in MLs in 2010 = 15 opponents for each team.

Given that 30 matches is MLS's desired season length = 2 matches per opponent.

There's not too much on which to congratulate the league here. Breaking for the World Cup, now that's progress.

tfcleeds
09-16-2009, 03:07 PM
YESSS! It would have been ridiculous for them not to have a break during the World Cup.

Balanced schedule too...I like it.

Miko
09-16-2009, 03:12 PM
The balanced schedule is a no-brainer and can be designed almost by accident:

16 teams in MLs in 2010 = 15 opponents for each team.

Given that 30 matches is MLS's desired season length = 2 matches per opponent.

There's not too much on which to congratulate the league here. Breaking for the World Cup, now that's progress.

What happens when Vancouver and Portland come in?

34 games a year or an unbalanced schedule again?

Does 1 team from the Western Conference move to the East to balance the conferences?

I_AM_CANADIAN
09-16-2009, 03:13 PM
I'd prefer just 34 games. 30 games is a ridiculously short season anyway.

And you'd hope that would be the signal to just merge the Conferences into a single table.

Nodoubtguy
09-16-2009, 03:20 PM
next step....international dates

mmmikey
09-16-2009, 03:24 PM

And you'd hope that would be the signal to just merge the Conferences into a single table.

totally.. if your not playing the teams within your own conference more often anymore, then there is not much to winning your respective conference. geographical conferences are to cut down on travel time, have local rivalries with more games against conference teams.. if u play ALL teams twice... whats the point? same travel, same number of encounters.... silly.

its just because NA is accustomed to conferences at this point. it's superficial, and a team can be penalized for being in a conference with stronger teams. it is now possible to have the best 8 records in the league to reside in one conference, which screws team 7 & 8, cause shitty number 9 & 10 will get in cause they are the best of the worst.

Toronto Ruffrider
09-16-2009, 03:35 PM

I'd prefer a 34-game schedule too, but MLS would have to start the season earlier, end the season later, or resort to scheduling more weekday games - not a pleasant prospect given how poorly teams sell tickets for Wednesday- and Thursday-night fixtures. Attempting to accommodate the international calendar would put further pressure on the MLS schedule. In order for a longer schedule to be implemented, something would have to give.

As for the two conferences, I don't know why the league didn't just merge them. With a balanced schedule, there's no need to divide teams into eastern and western camps. Let's just have the top eight teams overall qualify for the playoffs.

MUFC_Niagara
09-16-2009, 03:35 PM
FUCK!!! I was hoping for a single table. It really makes no sense what-so-ever to have this BS two conference system.

Wow, this is a big step. I think the single table will come soon....its the next logical step. I will temporarily remove my "mickey mouse" tag from MLS. Temporarily.

flatpicker
09-16-2009, 03:37 PM

considering they are going to have each team play home and away, I can't for the life of me figure out what the benefit of conferences is???

makes no sense.

jabbronies
09-16-2009, 03:55 PM
considering they are going to have each team play home and away, I can't for the life of me figure out what the benefit of conferences is???

makes no sense.

For real. Unless you are 1rst or 2nd in your division, conference separation makes no difference to you. You are going to be looking at the other division to make sure that you ahead of them.

Right now our "rivals" are Seattle, Chivas, RSL, Colorado, NE and DC. Those are the teams we are fighting against and only two of those teams are in our conference.

The playoffs should just be based on points, period.

Shway
09-16-2009, 04:22 PM
THE LEAGUE IS GETTTING BETTER THANK GOD!

NOW THE RETURN OF THE RESERVE LEAGUE!

The Road to a successfull league

mighty_torontofc_2008
09-16-2009, 04:31 PM

sorry the conference setup is the best format for this league..a single table IMHO is not acceptable for MLS football.....we need the playoff
races to keep fans interested in the game..fans in Dallas and San Jose
would have more reasons to stay away in the are out of contention
so quickly. i dont care for the two week break during the world cup,
maybe TFC could schedule a 4 team club tournament with foreign clubs
to keep soccer in TO going.

JonO
09-16-2009, 04:44 PM
The playoffs should just be based on points, period.
I agree. Especially with these weird crossover, playoff rules. I could understand the point of the divisions if it is top 4 from each division make the playoff. But top 2 from each division and then next 4 regardless of division seems silly - just do away with it and go single table at that point...

JonO
09-16-2009, 04:45 PM
sorry the conference setup is the best format for this league..a single table IMHO is not acceptable for MLS football.....we need the playoff
races to keep fans interested in the game..fans in Dallas and San Jose
would have more reasons to stay away in the are out of contention
so quickly. i dont care for the two week break during the world cup,
maybe TFC could schedule a 4 team club tournament with foreign clubs
to keep soccer in TO going.
Huh? You do realize that we are in a playoff race with teams in the other conference? It doesn't just matter how we place in our conference

Cashcleaner
09-16-2009, 05:09 PM
1) 2-Week Break during the World Cup? Excellent news.

2) Balanced regular season schedule with teams playing each other once home and away? More excellent news.

And I totally agree that we should consider a single table format. Now that we're working with a balanced schedule, the conferences don't really mean all that much. Make a simplified format for the MLS Cup playoffs with teams seeded by overall points at the end of the season.

I don't particularly hate the conference system we have at the moment, but right now it makes sense given the format of the season we're working on. Thinking about it now, could it be that the the conference format is being kept around just to justify the trophies themselves? I mean, is the league thinking that maybe people will lose interest in their club if the MSL Cup and Supporter Shield are the only pieces of hardware up for grabs?

S_D
09-16-2009, 05:40 PM
I would say the conference idea is being kept around for now so that they can continue to expand without worrying about FIFA down the road. Gives them more flexibility. MLB-ish.

If the number of teams become a bit unweildy for scheduling they can set it up where most of the games are in your conference to keep travel costs down, play a few here and there against a rival in another conference (maybe) and then there is an MLS cup match, East vs. West.

Oldtimer
09-16-2009, 06:11 PM
I would say the conference idea is being kept around for now so that they can continue to expand without worrying about FIFA down the road. Gives them more flexibility. MLB-ish.

If the number of teams become a bit unweildy for scheduling they can set it up where most of the games are in your conference to keep travel costs down, play a few here and there against a rival in another conference (maybe) and then there is an MLS cup match, East vs. West.

BINGO! That is exactly why they are keeping conferences. To give flexibility in the future. If they, say, expanded to 24 teams in the future, instead of having 46 games, they would have 22 plus 8 inter-conference.

Yohan
09-16-2009, 06:29 PM
I'd prefer a 34-game schedule too, but MLS would have to start the season earlier, end the season later, or resort to scheduling more weekday games - not a pleasant prospect given how poorly teams sell tickets for Wednesday- and Thursday-night fixtures. Attempting to accommodate the international calendar would put further pressure on the MLS schedule. In order for a longer schedule to be implemented, something would have to give.

As for the two conferences, I don't know why the league didn't just merge them. With a balanced schedule, there's no need to divide teams into eastern and western camps. Let's just have the top eight teams overall qualify for the playoffs.
there are enough 'bye weeks', where a team has no game scheduled to be removed to make room for extra games if necessary.

Also didn't see anything about whether a team will have 4 game road trips in a row or not... That needs to be removed. No team should play 2 home or away games in a row, except in extenuating circumstances

Cashcleaner
09-16-2009, 07:28 PM
there are enough 'bye weeks', where a team has no game scheduled to be removed to make room for extra games if necessary.

Also didn't see anything about whether a team will have 4 game road trips in a row or not... That needs to be removed. No team should play 2 home or away games in a row, except in extenuating circumstances

Good point about the road trips. I would imagine that the problem arises primarily from teams that shared facilities with other clubs and have to compromise their scheduling. Luckily that problem won't be as severe as teams are moved into stadiums they control like New York.

rocker
09-16-2009, 07:53 PM
i hope they work it so that there isn't such a great disparity in games played between teams. at points this season there have been 4-games-played disparities between some teams, which is a joke. there's no point in having standings, let alone single table, when you have 3-4 games in hand between teams. For some reason, New England has been continually behind most of the league in games played month after month. It allowed them to weather injury concerns.

i'd also like to see TFC have a more even distribution of home and away games throughout the season, so that if the team is still getting the engine going at the start of the season, they don't blow the home advantage (as they did this year).

TFC115
09-16-2009, 08:49 PM
i believe that they should of made the cup break and little longer and just not place game days on semis and finals.I also believe that the one conference rule works but, the playoff design should be different.I believe that both the 1st AND 2nd round should be home and away series. It doesn't make sense for 1 to be home and away and the other is just 1 game.

loconet
09-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Not having a break during the world cup might have benefited us. Seeing us how TFC is really the National team... :p

wzhxvy
09-16-2009, 09:17 PM
I hope this means that we dont have the majority of our homes games in April and May next year. This year was ridiculous...

If they go to 34 games, I hope they expand the rosters and bring back the reserve league...

mighty_torontofc_2008
09-16-2009, 09:27 PM
Huh? You do realize that we are in a playoff race with teams in the other conference? It doesn't just matter how we place in our conference

but for most wanting a single table..it would mean like all over the world the champion would be the first place team...and if a team like NY is out of contention early it will hurt attendance..in the current set up as bad as NY is a few more wins would have had them in a playoff spot

Lucky Strike
09-16-2009, 09:53 PM
For those who'dlike to see 34 MLS matches when Vancouver and Portland join, we have to consider the effect on those teams playing in things like the Champions League and Superliga, they'd get destroyed unless the rosters are expanded, not just back to 28, but maybe to 30.

This would have the further knock-on effect of needing a reserve league again and increasing the salary cap by a million or so. These are things we'd love to see, it's just a question of whether MLS will take such a big step; it's not exactly been their MO so far.

MUFC_Niagara
09-16-2009, 09:59 PM
I hope this means that we dont have the majority of our homes games in April and May next year. This year was ridiculous...

If they go to 34 games, I hope they expand the rosters and bring back the reserve league...

I am hoping you are right and that the league has the foresight to build to the necessary changes that we are all asking for.

Roogsy
09-16-2009, 10:05 PM
The current CBA ends this season. The players have indicated increased roster sizes (and salaries) are top of their list. I hope they get both.

However, there are rumblings that a lock-out is a possibility. Next season opening without a hitch is not a sure thing.

MUFC_Niagara
09-16-2009, 10:16 PM
The current CBA ends this season. The players have indicated increased roster sizes (and salaries) are top of their list. I hope they get both.

However, there are rumblings that a lock-out is a possibility. Next season opening without a hitch is not a sure thing.

I'd certainly back the players in a bid for higher wages and roster sizes! I agree though Roogs, the league is unlikely to move on wages with teams like Dallas near collapse as it is.

Flipityflu
09-17-2009, 07:50 AM
but for most wanting a single table..it would mean like all over the world the champion would be the first place team...and if a team like NY is out of contention early it will hurt attendance..in the current set up as bad as NY is a few more wins would have had them in a playoff spot

that doesn't make sense. New York would have been eliminated from contention no matter what the table structure is. The playoff structure remains the same, its just a combined table with the top 8 teams making the playoffs.

however, i agree with S_D, the conference system is not going anywhere so the league can expand without running into FIFA rules about league maximums.

that said, a balanced schedule and the two weeks off for the World Cup are possitive moves.

flatpicker
09-17-2009, 08:38 AM
I only like the conference set-up if teams play most of their games against those in their own conference.
Otherwise, what's the point?

It's got to be one or the other... a blend of the two is silly.

Fort York Redcoat
09-17-2009, 08:49 AM
They could keep it balanced with more games 2011 with more money for owners. I hope they stop with 20 teams. Add to USL from there on in. Even "move" teams that can't stay in MLS or can afford more than USL like Van and Mon in the future. Anything to avoid the P/R words.

menefreghista
09-17-2009, 08:49 AM
Pretty sure the league is keeping the conferences for continuity sake.

Surely the balanced schedule is going to be a one year phenomena.

By 2011 we will be back to an unbalanced schedule, including playing some teams only once a year.

Canuck82
09-17-2009, 09:00 AM
No matter what MLS does, it will be changing every year until they hit their self imposed cap of 20 teams in 2012. Since they are running a balanced schedule next year, and are still reluctant to move to a single table format, I doubt they ever will.

I am willing to bet when the league adds Portland and Vancouver in 2011, they will move to a three division format (West, East and Central), and when they add two more teams for the following season (say for the sake of arguement Montreal and St. Louis) you will see a move to a two conference, four division format - with four divisions of five teams.

Garber loves his divisions, and I can easily see the following....

Western Conference
Division A
Vancouver
Portland
Seattle
San Jose
Colorado

Division B
Los Angeles
Chivas USA
Real Salt Lake
Dallas
Houston

Eastern Conference
Division A
Chicago
Columbus
Toronto
Montreal
New England

Division B
New York
DC United
Philadelphia
Kansas City
St. Louis

You play the 4 other teams in your division 3 times = 12 games
You play the 5 teams in the other division 2 times = 10 games
You play the 10 teams in the other conference once = 10 game

Total of 32 games.

Expand the playoffs to 12 teams - each division winner gets a bye with second playing third, and then facing the division winner. Then it moves to conference finals and the MLS cup.

This sounds very Garber-like.

Cobblers
09-17-2009, 09:15 AM
the other side of the two week league break is that it should ease the schedule congestion for TFC in June a bit as we'll likely see some Canadian Championship games during this break...

Fort York Redcoat
09-17-2009, 09:15 AM
^Probable and frustrating. This is because we're all clamouring for more division rivalries and different prices for different games...right?:rolleyes:

mmmikey
09-17-2009, 10:42 AM
this is what frustrates me about MLS sometimes.. it's been mentioned elsewhere but it's pretty obvious they will not abandon projects like the team in Dallas. there is a team in Houston, so they are still covering that geographical area, yet they insist on needing a 2nd team in Texas. It's too bad the other teams in MLS will have to carry around dead weight like this, and be restricted in their ability to compete internationally because of poor placement of a franchise. This makes expansion beyond 20 teams inevitable as the game grows in the USA and Canada, and therefore.. Conferences are going nowhere. boo :(

troy1982
09-17-2009, 01:02 PM
^^ Dallas is one of the few teams that is profitable despite low attendance since they have other revenue streams.

profit89
09-17-2009, 08:29 PM
totally.. if your not playing the teams within your own conference more often anymore, then there is not much to winning your respective conference. geographical conferences are to cut down on travel time, have local rivalries with more games against conference teams.. if u play ALL teams twice... whats the point? same travel, same number of encounters.... silly.

its just because NA is accustomed to conferences at this point. it's superficial, and a team can be penalized for being in a conference with stronger teams. it is now possible to have the best 8 records in the league to reside in one conference, which screws team 7 & 8, cause shitty number 9 & 10 will get in cause they are the best of the worst.

Totally agree. Time to rid ourselves of the conference system.

flatpicker
09-17-2009, 08:35 PM
if they are only holding on to the conference format because the following season will again go through changes then fine (perhaps).

Perhaps they intend to go back to having teams play more games within their conferences once more expansion takes place.

I dunno... they should just get it over with and have the single table.

Here's your league... here are your teams... let's see who finishes first.
After that... lets have a little tourney to play for a cup.

the end.

Cashcleaner
09-17-2009, 11:11 PM
Garber loves his divisions, and I can easily see the following....

Western Conference
Division A
Vancouver
Portland
Seattle
San Jose
Colorado

Division B
Los Angeles
Chivas USA
Real Salt Lake
Dallas
Houston

Eastern Conference
Division A
Chicago
Columbus
Toronto
Montreal
New England

Division B
New York
DC United
Philadelphia
Kansas City
St. Louis

You play the 4 other teams in your division 3 times = 12 games
You play the 5 teams in the other division 2 times = 10 games
You play the 10 teams in the other conference once = 10 game

Total of 32 games.

Expand the playoffs to 12 teams - each division winner gets a bye with second playing third, and then facing the division winner. Then it moves to conference finals and the MLS cup.

This sounds very Garber-like.

FUCK! That all sounds incredibly plausible.

I fucking can't stand unbalanced schedules! I swear, that sorta shit and me is like fucking kryptonite. :mad:

Roogsy
09-17-2009, 11:15 PM
^^ Dallas is one of the few teams that is profitable despite low attendance since they have other revenue streams.

Dallas is a classic example of a team that is lucky to survive because they are making money despite boneheaded decisions.

I have been to Dallas...and let me tell you, that stadium is so far outside the city, it's like going to Newmarket to watch a TFC game. And the whole bouncy castle episode? Shameful. Can you imagine if we had that? I doubt we would get 10k people to a TFC game either.

Dallas is a solid market. There is money there. There are many cultures, most especially hispanic. It's a large city. Done correctly, Dallas could have rivalled DC, LA and New York as a premier team. Instead, they shot themselves in the foot and then decided to hack off the other foot. Dumb dumb dumb.