PDA

View Full Version : Lets leave the playoffs for next year

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-08-2008, 10:08 PM
as proven tonight we are NOT a playoff contending team, we should work on building a league competitive team, and leave the playoff worries to next season. There is no point making the playoffs if your are going to get slaughtered away from home, which happened tonight in Houston. We a year 2 club and played like it. the defence was not there tonight, and Cunny and Laurent were the only signs of life upfront, so back to square one...learn to play football 101. Carver should hold extra drills till the team gets the point...show up!!

Jack
06-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Uhm yeah.... let's just roll over now and forget about it, since the season is practically over.

TFCtorcida
06-08-2008, 10:12 PM
its just 1 game man, relax. and even loosing in the playoffs is valuable experience. thats all im gonna say about this

ExiledRed
06-08-2008, 10:14 PM
fuck that, we lost an away game 3-1 in terrible conditions, to the champions.
You think were the only team in this league that's going to have nights like this?

Get over it.

flatpicker
06-08-2008, 10:23 PM
this team is not yet complete...
There are going to be new additions in the coming weeks... I'm sure of it.
We will be better...

yanggoh
06-08-2008, 10:25 PM
chill out man, its one game, and its still early in the season.

Mrs. Workie
06-08-2008, 10:26 PM
So we have one bad game and you give up hope?

Weak....

I'm going to LA in November, and I expect my team to be there. End. Of.

Oblio2
06-08-2008, 10:26 PM
1 game a season does not make. we just went 6 unbeaten....
We ARE a tough team to play. We had players missing and unfit. it's not a big deal!

Lucky Strike
06-08-2008, 10:29 PM
as proven tonight we are NOT a playoff contending team, we should work on building a league competitive team, and leave the playoff worries to next season.

Uh, no.

Daveisonfire
06-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Haha wooooow:frown2:

Toronto_Bhoy
06-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Contenders? No.

Playoffs? Yes.

Anything can happen in the playoffs? Yes.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-08-2008, 10:44 PM
chill out man, its one game, and its still early in the season.

its been 2 terrible games with DC united, one horrible game in Montreal,
and this one in Houston...its just not one game it's the continuing bad streak were on with a good game against LA...minus Becks and Landy
thrown in.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Contenders? No.

Playoffs? Yes.

Anything can happen in the playoffs? Yes.

of course...but saying that we could also be on a long winless streak, hopefully not...but its not encouraging EDU and Guevara would not have made a big difference tonight.

J .
06-08-2008, 10:50 PM
I watched a team that didnt play well in the heat and was without their top offensive player.

Could have easily been 3-3. But for too long we played poorly. The transfer window comes soon and I expect improvement.

Did you hit anything when your knee jerked?

twistedchinaman
06-08-2008, 10:52 PM
as proven tonight we are NOT a playoff contending team, we should work on building a league competitive team, and leave the playoff worries to next season. There is no point making the playoffs if your are going to get slaughtered away from home, which happened tonight in Houston. We a year 2 club and played like it. the defence was not there tonight, and Cunny and Laurent were the only signs of life upfront, so back to square one...learn to play football 101. Carver should hold extra drills till the team gets the point...show up!!

Wow...

I expect that we are going to be in the Top 8 when I get into San Jose, and when I leave we will be in the playoffs.

1 game so far. We trend to be awful on the road, but if this carries over to the road then we should be worried. Pressing the panic button does not help, but a swift kick to the backside like this one does.

twistedchinaman
06-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Could have easily been 3-3.

So very true.
Houston has their weaknesses which the boys did not exploit. And why the fuck did Robert not start?!

Roogsy
06-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Mighty...you must be the anti-Roogsy.

It's amazing how many posts of yours I disagree with.

Blizzard
06-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Uhm yeah.... let's just roll over now and forget about it, since the season is practically over.

Ya exactly. :hump: Maybe we can all get our money back and go watch York Shooters or Brampton Lions! :noidea:

Blizzard
06-08-2008, 10:56 PM
this team is not yet complete...
There are going to be new additions in the coming weeks... I'm sure of it.
We will be better...

We've got two international spots to fill!

Rocco
06-08-2008, 11:11 PM

just stay positive. i don't blame u though, lack of experience will get to you. Keep in mind these guys aren't in it for the money so every game, expect them to play their hearts out. Not for you and me but for themselves. If you wanna support a winning team, be my guest but don't talk smack about a team ur supporting while their winning, and the minute they loose just give up all hope. Just don't jump that bandwagon dood... aint worth it!

hrvat87
06-09-2008, 12:06 AM

y be a fan if you trash talk the team?it's one game...would like to see you play in the conditions that the boys did 2night and against back to back MLS CHAMPS

BoobsFC
06-09-2008, 12:09 AM
This is the same guy that said Portugal plays boring soccer, not surprised.

DigzTFC!
06-09-2008, 12:15 AM
That was a horrible game by TFC. Our DMs were so far from our defence that Dero and Ching could walk around without being hassled. Cunny stayed on the last man but wouldn't run on to anything. I seriously think the guy can run in just one direction. Straight at the net and nothing else. He is useless. I'd like to see a stat of his goal to wins ratio in MLS. I bet his goals didn't help the teams he played for. Jarrod Smith looked like an amateur. Brennan looked like he hadn't played on grass in ages as he couldn't judge the ball at all. The bright spots were Dichio, Ricketts and Wynne. Everyone else had one of the worst games of the season. Harmse was absolutely invisible. I don't know if he brings anything to the table as a CM that can't distribute or tackle within the rules

Brooker
06-09-2008, 12:34 AM
as proven tonight we are NOT a playoff contending team, we should work on building a league competitive team, and leave the playoff worries to next season.

one game and it's all over.

lighten the hell up!

i can't imagine how miserable you were last season.

TFC07
06-09-2008, 12:35 AM
rebuilding a MLS team? We already got our core players. We just need a quality striker to make this team a contender. Remember that we were missing Guevara and Edu (even though he's playing shit this season). Also blame Carver for this game because he didn't start Robert, Marshall and Dichio (healthy?).

Bobo
06-09-2008, 12:42 AM
rebuilding a MLS team? We already got our core players. We just need a quality striker to make this team a contender. Remember that we were missing Guevara and Edu (even though he's playing shit this season). Also blame Carver for this game because he didn't start Robert, Marshall and Dichio (healthy?).

Marshall got fucking ass raped on that third goal.:yikes:

TFC07
06-09-2008, 12:47 AM
Marshall got fucking ass raped on that third goal.:yikes:

True, but he has been alright this season overall.

Whatever happened to Tebily? Is he hurt?

Brooker
06-09-2008, 12:52 AM
^^havent heard anything about him since getting hurt and subbing off for James during the LA game. 17th minute i think.... was early.

Blizzard
06-09-2008, 01:08 AM
True, but he has been alright this season overall.

Whatever happened to Tebily? Is he hurt?

Ya, Tebily is hurt. It was that calf injury he picked up at BMO last week I believe. That's when James got his playing time.

Blizzard
06-09-2008, 01:13 AM

So, in effect, what you are saying is that we should make the team better but lose on purpose so we don't make the play-offs just in case the new and improved team gets hammered.

That's like saying "never shoot at goal in case you shoot wide".

Cashcleaner
06-09-2008, 01:43 AM
Wow. So we're throwing in the towel with a little under two-thirds of the season left to play? Shitty.

Flipityflu
06-09-2008, 04:49 AM
maybe you should change your name to surrender monkey Torontofc 2008

RealG-TFC
06-09-2008, 05:26 AM
I knew I shouldn't have opened this dumb thread...

Flipityflu
06-09-2008, 06:07 AM
well, really, what can we expect. the 'we suck and we aren't going anywhere' speech after a loss is such a common thing for a typical Toronto sports fan.

of course, win the next game, and its Toronto is the fucking world killer.

Heathen
06-09-2008, 08:12 AM

There's no point making the play-offs because we'd probably lose? yeah nice one that's the spirit. I'll put this down to post-game angst but come on give your head a shake

Pachuco
06-09-2008, 08:50 AM

You obviously are a 9 year old boy. How do you work on building a league competitive team without wanting to make it into the playoffs? IF WE DON'T COMPETE IN THE LEAGUE WE DON'T MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.

This thread should be deleted.

rocker
06-09-2008, 09:00 AM
the team is tied for 4th in the league... while the road games have been shit, they are tied for 4th in the league..... (may I remind you that 8 teams make the playoffs?) no need to get too worried.

Plus, the first round of the playoffs is a two game series, home and away. so we get one game at the fortress.

jabbronies
06-09-2008, 09:09 AM
We should probably just fold the team now. After a game like that, what's the point of even playing ever again!!

pat416
06-09-2008, 09:36 AM
Ok so everyone made all the point i wanted to say so all i have to say is im mad its monday and i cant wait until the home game on Sat. Hope it rains this week!! ( so the weekends sunny)

Pachuco
06-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Ok so everyone made all the point i wanted to say so all i have to say is im mad its monday and i cant wait until the home game on Sat. Hope it rains this week!! ( so the weekends sunny)

But we play well in the rain :)

Dave67
06-09-2008, 10:50 AM
My real concern from last night is how we seemed to die in the heat. July and August at BMO will match what the heat was like in Houston. While it seems like we have a better conditioned team this year being able to play in heat is a must.

Sutton and Cunningham say the heat did not cause the problems last night, but from my comfy sofa we sure looked like wilted.

rocker
06-09-2008, 10:57 AM
it was hot in practice the past few days... and Paul Winsper is considered the god of conditioning, so I'm not sure whether it matters.
And the opposition will have to play in the heat at BMO too, so it's all fair.

Dave67
06-09-2008, 11:01 AM
it was hot in practice the past few days... and Paul Winsper is considered the god of conditioning, so I'm not sure whether it matters.
And the opposition will have to play in the heat at BMO too, so it's all fair.

Not a knock on Winsper. I've never been convinced you can condition playing in heat without actually playing in heat. Hopefully the team comes around now that the weather is warming up in Toronto.

icecoldbeer
06-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Sure the game was frustrating, but I'm not throwing the towel in.

I Believe.

SilverSamurai
06-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Correct if I'm wrong, but isn't this a TORONTO FC supporters board?
And I thought I accidentally clicked a Maple Leafs web site...

neuf
06-09-2008, 11:26 AM
I started to type a long reply, but gave up, so I'll just say this: You're an idiot.

Oldtimer
06-09-2008, 12:30 PM
I started to type a long reply, but gave up, so I'll just say this: You're an idiot.

Hey, it's just one guy being depressed. Don't be too hard on him, he's probably a Leafs fan. :)

lintberg
06-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Lighten up.
Yeah, it sucked to see TFC lose last night, but Houston played well. If you are gonna write TFC off at this stage in the season..what kind of football supporter are ya?
We haven't even hit the half way point yet this season.
Remember last year...we spent pretty much the whole season at the bottom of the standings...look at this year....way better!!

Roogsy
06-09-2008, 12:36 PM
Even last year, we weren't completely out of the playoff picture until that horrible stretch in August. This year, only a collapse would see us out of the playoffs.

Pachuco
06-09-2008, 12:36 PM
My real concern from last night is how we seemed to die in the heat. July and August at BMO will match what the heat was like in Houston. While it seems like we have a better conditioned team this year being able to play in heat is a must.

Sutton and Cunningham say the heat did not cause the problems last night, but from my comfy sofa we sure looked like wilted.

Cunningham explains it perfectly in this interview. I don't know what else you would need in order to understand they simply got out played.

Cunningham attributed his team's apparent fatigue in the second half to Houston's play, not the Texas heat. "They kept the ball and we kept chasing," Cunningham said. "It doesn't matter what kind of weather it is chasing for 90 minutes isn't possible. As a result, they kept the ball and we got fatigued."

It was obvious that we were losing the battle in the midfield, and when the other team has the ball and you are chasing the entire game you're obviuosly going to be the tired one. We seriously missed Guevara's abilty to hold the ball up and move the ball around in the mid.

Roogsy
06-09-2008, 12:37 PM
Guevara and Dichio in the lineup, I think this would have been a different game.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-09-2008, 05:07 PM
You obviously are a 9 year old boy. How do you work on building a league competitive team without wanting to make it into the playoffs? IF WE DON'T COMPETE IN THE LEAGUE WE DON'T MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.

This thread should be deleted.

for the sake of an argument, say we make the playoffs this year, yet miss the two after that, is that progress? im more building the team and taking a bit of time doing it right, then doing a maple leafs and adding guys just for the sake of adding guys and missing out altogether.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-09-2008, 05:09 PM
There's no point making the play-offs because we'd probably lose? yeah nice one that's the spirit. I'll put this down to post-game angst but come on give your head a shake

yeah it was more to vent then anything else,but when playoffs are mentioned it makes me cringe...we are a 2nd year club for christ sakes.

Troll
06-09-2008, 05:37 PM
yeah it was more to vent then anything else,but when playoffs are mentioned it makes me cringe...we are a 2nd year club for christ sakes.

Ya, we're a second year club, but it's the fucking MLS. It's not like we're completely outclassed by any team in the league.

And why compare TFC to the Leafs? Quit being a waste of space.

TFC07
06-09-2008, 05:39 PM
well, really, what can we expect. the 'we suck and we aren't going anywhere' speech after a loss is such a common thing for a typical Toronto sports fan.

of course, win the next game, and its Toronto is the fucking world killer.

QFT...

Flipityflu
06-09-2008, 05:59 PM

yep, a 2nd year club. chicago won it in its 1st year.

faith

SilverSamurai
06-09-2008, 06:23 PM
It's 1 thing to win the MLS Cup, it's another to make a run for the CONCACAF Champions League.
With so much parity in the league, I think that is the true measuring stick.
Baby steps though, 1st make playoffs, 2nd make it past qualifiers for Champions League (not in that order though)

ensco
06-09-2008, 06:46 PM
We're not that great. but we're not that bad, either. The west is weak, I think 5 teams will qualify from the east.

I think we should assume that DCU will rip off a winning streak and likely finish ahead of us. I also assume that New York will improve once they're at full strength.

We have to be ahead of KC and Columbus at season's end.

Is there anyone here who really doesn't believe that we can finish ahead of KC and Columbus?

giambac
06-09-2008, 06:49 PM

I agree and disagree with your comment.

First of all we were missing Guevera and Edu who would have made a diffference.
Secondly, we are still in the top4-5 in the league in points.

However, let's be realistic here. This team is a 2nd year team and not as good as some people think. Our home record is great but at the end of the day you ain't going to get far if you can't win on the road. This team has shown no signs of playing consistent football on the road. They hav eone win on the raod and that was a lucky win against LA. It's not so much that they lose on the road but holy fuck they get totally outplayed and embarrsed on the road. I mean 4-0 to Dc, 4-1 to Dc, 3-1 to Houston. Thye even looke dbad in their 1-0 win vs Montreal.

It seems like when to go on the road their game plan changes . Don't attack, sit back and pary for a tie. This isn't their style but each game is like this. I don't get it. It's not like your playing in hostile environments before large crowds. Nothing intimidating playing in mLS road stadiums.

Realistically this team will be battling for the 7th to 9th spot at the end of the season. Thye may just sqeak into the playoffs with some luck.

Batman
06-09-2008, 07:23 PM
If the point is to not make any knee jerk reactions that would be short term gain for long term pain, then I agree. (kind of like a typical leafs move)

I dont think however, anything that's about to happen would be that.
I believe any signings we make will help us now, and help us later.

So.... I think we would be best served to move forward, sign who we wish...
make the playoffs...

and win the friggin league!

RedRum
06-09-2008, 07:35 PM
What a garbage thread. If Cunny had buried that great chance when it was 2-0 we could have easily gotten a point or more.

You're going to have nights like this. Look at our first road win vs the Galaxy - we did not deserve to win or tie that game but stole 3 points. I like our fucking team this year. Once Cunny is replaced with a quality striker we will threaten every road game.

Torcida
06-09-2008, 09:37 PM
I can't even read this forum anymore, it's so fucking depressing..

joel
06-09-2008, 09:41 PM
http://lh4.ggpht.com/c.marastigeorg/Rjjjgk7RofI/AAAAAAAAAAs/1wqYftKd3No/waahmbulance.jpg

try not to slit your wrists before it gets to your place

ExiledRed
06-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Im a bit surprised everybody expected a win, I mean I hoped, but I just didnt see it as being a given that we could win last night.

As it was, we played a frustrating game but still actually looked threatening even when we were three down.

I think people might have taken a 1-0 or even a 2-0 loss, less hard.

3-1 is no worse a result than 1-0, and Im glad that results the previous night meant that we didnt lose our place.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-09-2008, 10:16 PM
What a garbage thread. If Cunny had buried that great chance when it was 2-0 we could have easily gotten a point or more.

You're going to have nights like this. Look at our first road win vs the Galaxy - we did not deserve to win or tie that game but stole 3 points. I like our fucking team this year. Once Cunny is replaced with a quality striker we will threaten every road game.

or Jim brennan replaced on defence with a quality defender?

ExiledRed
06-09-2008, 10:30 PM
^^ Are you fucking serious?

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-09-2008, 10:32 PM
^^ Are you fucking serious?

sorry not a fan of the guy..stevie wonder could dribble around him and score...if TFC dobring in a dp this year, please let it be a defender.

Keyman
06-09-2008, 10:33 PM
or Jim brennan replaced on defence with a quality defender?
Honestly, actually you know what I'm not going to start!

I'm gone from here... check out my website if you want my opinion haha

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Honestly, actually you know what I'm not going to start!

I'm gone from here... check out my website if you want my opinion haha

your a fan of his then...:noidea:

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-09-2008, 10:38 PM

nights like this/ all of our away games...minus the Galaxy games have benn like that...outplayed,out worked......Did TFC go there with the intention of playing for a draw and it backfired? we still have to go
to New England, Chicago,NY,Dallas, Colorado so it doesn't look to promising if they continue to struggle on the road.

ExiledRed
06-09-2008, 10:39 PM
your a fan of his then...:noidea:

Most of us are, He's been a stalwart in the best defence in the MLS this season, and if it wasnt for the fact that our number 96 is in fact a number 2, we'd be celebrating the fantastic play that lead to the opening goal.

Roogsy
06-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Jimmy B, 2007 player of the year for all supporters groups.

Stalwart of Toronto FC, foregoing playing against arguably one of the best teams in the world (Brazil) to do his part for TFC.

Played through broken ribs, broken arm and who knows what else.

Has played more minutes for TFC than anyone else and has been a major contributor to what had been a solid defence.

I dunno what else you want from Jimmy B but whatever it is, you ain't gonna get it from an MLS player. He is as good as it comes in this league, and in most actually. ESPECIALLY for his salary.

You are in the minority. Thankfully.

ExiledRed
06-09-2008, 10:44 PM
nights like this/ all of our away games...minus the Galaxy games have benn like that...outplayed,out worked......Did TFC go there with the intention of playing for a draw and it backfired? we still have to go
to New England, Chicago,NY,Dallas, Colorado so it doesn't look to promising if they continue to struggle on the road.

No they went looking to kill the game off early before the heat got to them. They didnt get the early goal and conceded in the very last second of the first half, which fucked that plan, and forced us to play hard in the heat, when we needed to be hanging back.

A bad night is all.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-09-2008, 10:44 PM
So, in effect, what you are saying is that we should make the team better but lose on purpose so we don't make the play-offs just in case the new and improved team gets hammered.

That's like saying "never shoot at goal in case you shoot wide".

no but i don't want the season to be judged on if we make the playoffs or not...We are in year 2...how many teams in the other major sports in North America make the playoffs 1 year after getting an expansion team?
Not too many..Its takes a team a few years to build a quality club
and TFC fans should be patient with that.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-09-2008, 10:46 PM
No they went looking to kill the game off early before the heat got to them. They didnt get the early goal and conceded in the very last second of the first half, which fucked that plan, and forced us to play hard in the heat, when we needed to be hanging back.

A bad night is all.

i hope your right, but TFC have to play in the heat up here too..Judging by the weather the last couple of days this saturday should be another hot one.

ExiledRed
06-09-2008, 10:47 PM
no but i don't want the season to be judged on if we make the playoffs or not...We are in year 2...how many teams in the other major sports in North America make the playoffs 1 year after getting an expansion team?
Not too many..Its takes a team a few years to build a quality club
and TFC fans should be patient with that.

Your problem is your inability to disassociate football with 'other major sports in north america'

stop it, there is no link other than those we're trying to eliminate.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-09-2008, 11:00 PM
Your problem is your inability to disassociate football with 'other major sports in north america'

stop it, there is no link other than those we're trying to eliminate.

theres a major difference? both bring in players via a draft, new teams in any league get the castoffs the other teams don't want via expansion draft, so there is no major difference...maybe down the line when the academys start producing home grown talent but thats years away yet.

koryo
06-09-2008, 11:06 PM
How about this: nothing wrong with setting the playoffs as a target, but keep a little perspective. Nowhere near the end of the world if we don't make it.

Bars92
06-09-2008, 11:30 PM
We still have a better record than what the Argos will have at this point in their season.

ExiledRed
06-10-2008, 12:10 AM
theres a major difference? both bring in players via a draft, new teams in any league get the castoffs the other teams don't want via expansion draft, so there is no major difference...maybe down the line when the academys start producing home grown talent but thats years away yet.

You forget that north american football teams import their best players, while most other sports in north america dont (as foreign markets for these sports are invariably inferior)

The expansion draft was long ago, all those guys are gone and few were ever a factor anyway.

At this point, our talent pool is not much different from the other teams, and is not crippled by the fact that it is a second year team at all. We are still contendors, despite our poor performance last night.

I dont see how not making the playoffs, will make it more likely that we will achieve the playoffs next year, or the year after that. Usually in soccer, success breeds success, unlike in other major north american sports were failure is rewarded with higher 'picks' (which actually mean something because drafting picks in these sports is the best way to get good players apparently)

Playing 'underdog' at this point is a cop out, and a poor excuse.

CretanBull
06-10-2008, 12:22 AM

Stalwart of Toronto FC, foregoing playing against arguably one of the best teams in the world (Brazil) to do his part for TFC.

Has played more minutes for TFC than anyone else and has been a major contributor to what had been a solid defence.

I dunno what else you want from Jimmy B but whatever it is, you ain't gonna get it from an MLS player. He is as good as it comes in this league, and in most actually. ESPECIALLY for his salary.

If that really needs to be pointed out to anyone, odds are they're never going to get it.

FEItalia
06-10-2008, 05:59 AM
I certainly agree with most of the posters that we should not throw in the towel and lose on purpose.
That being said, I wonder how many goals we would have to be up going into the away leg in the playoffs for me to feel comfortable. lol 3? 4? 5?!

ensco
06-10-2008, 06:38 AM

On top of all that he's had the two prettiest assists of the year - one to DD in DC, the other to Cunny in Houston (oops, I mean one assist)

Oldtimer
06-10-2008, 07:25 AM
I think that the playoffs are a realistic possibility, although maybe not the supporters Shield.

Jimmy B is an excellent player who had a bad game. Even the best in the world have an off day, or even off weeks.

Fort York Redcoat
06-10-2008, 07:31 AM
You forget that north american football teams import their best players, while most other sports in north america dont (as foreign markets for these sports are invariably inferior)

The expansion draft was long ago, all those guys are gone and few were ever a factor anyway.

At this point, our talent pool is not much different from the other teams, and is not crippled by the fact that it is a second year team at all. We are still contendors, despite our poor performance last night.

I dont see how not making the playoffs, will make it more likely that we will achieve the playoffs next year, or the year after that. Usually in soccer, success breeds success, unlike in other major north american sports were failure is rewarded with higher 'picks' (which actually mean something because drafting picks in these sports is the best way to get good players apparently)

Playing 'underdog' at this point is a cop out, and a poor excuse.

Damn right. You want to see a team strive for tanking to get draft picks look down the road. I want to see more attention on the league (supporter's sheild if you like) and play off placement be damned.